Author Topic: Problems distributing to B&N via Draft2Digital  (Read 3358 times)

CoraBuhlert

Problems distributing to B&N via Draft2Digital
« on: October 26, 2020, 11:20:48 AM »
I released two new books on October 13 and October 18 respectively. I'm wide and distribute to B&N (and several others) via Draft2Digital.

Normally, a book goes live at B&N within one or two days. However, both of these books haven't yet gone live, even though it's been more than a week for both. They are live everywhere else D2D distributes. I have contacted D2D to ask if there's a problem with distributing to B&N, but I haven't received a reply yet.

So does anybody else have any problems distributing to B&N via D2D?

Blog | Pegasus Pulp | Newsletter | Author Central | Twitter | Instagram
Genres: All of them, but mostly science fiction and mystery/crime

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: Problems distributing to B&N via Draft2Digital
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 11:46:56 AM »
Are B&N still functional?

I saw a comment on Quora the other day to the effect B&N was effectively dead. No idea if it's right though.

Anyone know what is happening with them?

Could be D2D cant get a response from them, so have nothing to tell you.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Eric Thomson

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 12:13:39 PM »
B&N was hacked 2-3 weeks ago. They're still fixing the damage. My latest published on Oct 14 still isn't up and I received sales numbers for B&N from D2D for the first time in 2 weeks this morning.

The following users thanked this post: CoraBuhlert

CoraBuhlert

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 02:49:25 PM »
Ah yes, the hack. I heard about that somewhere, but didn't pay attention, because I don't buy at B&N nor would they let me buy there, since I'm not American.  But that could be the reason.

And I do sell there on occasion, though less than I used to.

alhawke

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 02:58:31 PM »
I've had 15 junk emails today and averaging about 5 per day since the B&N hack  :icon_sad:
I've also had no sales after a BookBub in B&N, though plenty with all other vendors. Luckily, the B&N problems happened after the BookBub promo. So, weird stuff is happening with my books on B&N, anyway.

BTW, if anyone has any idea on how to get rid of junk emails now that my email was compromised, please let me know. For now, I'll just keep deleting them without opening them.

notthatamanda

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 08:17:31 PM »
Are you reporting them as spam?

alhawke

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 03:38:32 AM »
Are you reporting them as spam?
How do I do that? (Just when I thought I was good at computers).

One thing I can tell you, apropos to the thread, is that all these junk emails happened right after B&N told me my email was compromised. I never got junk email before. Cora, I think B&N's system is a bit of a mess at the moment. I also saw one sale oddly pop up 7 days later. On the B&N system, they usually show up within 1-2 days on the recent sales.

notthatamanda

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2020, 03:59:32 AM »
I have a yahoo email and a google email and on both you can check the box on an email and report as spam on the toolbar at the top where it says archive, move, delete, etc.

The following users thanked this post: alhawke

alhawke

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 04:21:25 AM »
I don't have a spam folder on my Mac, but I see it on my Android where I also access gmail. I'll transfer from there. Thanks!

CoraBuhlert

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2020, 01:27:13 PM »
I finally got a reply from D2D and according to them, the upload problem is due to the B&N hack.

This is still annoying, especially since the hack apparently happened on October 10, i.e. 17 days ago and B&N still haven't gotten to the bottom of this, which doesn't bode well for their competence. It's also really annoying, because B&N's incompetence is messing up my marketing.

LilyBLily

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 02:04:35 PM »
B&N just asked me to change my password--and claimed it had nothing to do with "a" security breach.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2020, 02:16:59 PM »
B&N just asked me to change my password--and claimed it had nothing to do with "a" security breach.

If that was an email, don't use any link on it.

Go to their site without using any link, and see if it asks you there.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

LilyBLily

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2020, 10:14:17 PM »

If that was an email, don't use any link on it.

Go to their site without using any link, and see if it asks you there.

No, I visited their site and got that message. Haven't married a Nigerian prince by proxy yet.  Grin

spin52

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2020, 10:06:18 PM »
I finally got a reply from D2D and according to them, the upload problem is due to the B&N hack.

This is still annoying, especially since the hack apparently happened on October 10, i.e. 17 days ago and B&N still haven't gotten to the bottom of this, which doesn't bode well for their competence. It's also really annoying, because B&N's incompetence is messing up my marketing.

I had the same e-mail, since I have two books waiting in the queue to be released. I can tell D2D is frustrated and they say that authors who upload directly to B&N are having the same problem. It doesn't say much for B&N that they can't get this sorted.

Traditional mysteries with a dash of humor -- no cats, no cupcakes, no covens.

CaptnAndy

• Short Story unlocked
  • I’m a writer, who writes about what interests me.
    • A.G. Kimbrough Books and Blog
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2020, 03:32:53 AM »
I have just returned 6 of my books to D2D during that period, and they all are live on B&N.
When I read Heinlein's Stranger in a strange land, I Grokked, and the die was cast.
       Many of my books are science fiction and don’t include steam punk, fantasy, time travel, magic, elves or faeries.
       As a naval and military history buff, I also have written several books that feature warships, aircraft, airships, spacecraft, and military action.
       If Things Get Better With Age Then this 1944 model is Approaching Excellent.

HSh

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2020, 01:14:08 PM »
I published my latest about a week ago and it isn't on B&N yet.  I use D2D.  And I do get sales there, so I hope they will fix the issues. 

:catrun

ashleycapes

• Short Novel unlocked
  • My neighbors think my name is Emily Goldfinch
    • Website
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2020, 01:32:51 PM »
^ same

Ashley Capes | website

notthatamanda

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2020, 12:26:09 AM »
I have just returned 6 of my books to D2D during that period, and they all are live on B&N.

When you say returned I assume you mean they had been on D2D/B&N before, then you unpublished, then you republished? And they went through no problem?

Edit - they are having a big Black Friday sale, that's on now, apparently. Paper books only.
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/h/coupons-deals

It seems like I've been selling less and less on B&N each month. I didn't really notice because Apple has been picking up and then some where they dropped off on D2D. B&N used to be pretty good for me on D2D and I was able to move full price books there with Bookbub ads, profitably. Only sales platform I ever made that work.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 12:33:54 AM by notthatamanda »

LilyBLily

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2020, 01:50:20 AM »
They also have a coupon on cookies--but it's only available in store. :icon_cry:

EllieL

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2020, 05:38:54 AM »
I hadn't any problems with BN until recently. I noticed I hadn't been paid in months from them, but since the amount owing was so little, I figured that was why. Did the math and now they owe about 53.00-- not a lot because I usually only sell the 0.99ers there so it takes a while to add up, but I'd like the account cleared up. Email them and they tell me they tried to send me money, but my bank rejected the payment. Said to update everything.

There has been no change in my banking information. I double-checked with what they have, and sure enough, they have the right info. So I emailed again, they said again to update my banking info. I reinputted everything, and still no payment. So I'm thinking they have more problems than just a hack. I've heard they've had money issues for a while, so if they need my 53 dollars that much, I'll pull my books and have them distributed via a larger 3rd party (like D2D) that they will pay.
Historical and contemporary romance

Signature Tool Alpha Test

LilyBLily

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2020, 12:28:42 PM »
I hadn't any problems with BN until recently. I noticed I hadn't been paid in months from them, but since the amount owing was so little, I figured that was why. Did the math and now they owe about 53.00-- not a lot because I usually only sell the 0.99ers there so it takes a while to add up, but I'd like the account cleared up. Email them and they tell me they tried to send me money, but my bank rejected the payment. Said to update everything.

There has been no change in my banking information. I double-checked with what they have, and sure enough, they have the right info. So I emailed again, they said again to update my banking info. I reinputted everything, and still no payment. So I'm thinking they have more problems than just a hack. I've heard they've had money issues for a while, so if they need my 53 dollars that much, I'll pull my books and have them distributed via a larger 3rd party (like D2D) that they will pay.

That stinks. I doubt they're short on cash, but they do appear to be short on competence. Sigh. Not a new insight.  :HB

CaptnAndy

• Short Story unlocked
  • I’m a writer, who writes about what interests me.
    • A.G. Kimbrough Books and Blog
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2020, 04:11:50 AM »
I spoke to someone at D2D Friday on another issue, and she confirmed that BN is currently FUBAR.

When I read Heinlein's Stranger in a strange land, I Grokked, and the die was cast.
       Many of my books are science fiction and don’t include steam punk, fantasy, time travel, magic, elves or faeries.
       As a naval and military history buff, I also have written several books that feature warships, aircraft, airships, spacecraft, and military action.
       If Things Get Better With Age Then this 1944 model is Approaching Excellent.

Eric Thomson

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2020, 03:46:26 AM »
My latest, which came out everywhere but B&N on October 14 finally made it to B&N today.

The following users thanked this post: spin52

ashleycapes

• Short Novel unlocked
  • My neighbors think my name is Emily Goldfinch
    • Website
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2020, 03:00:59 PM »
Just had the six titles I was waiting on since roughly the same time go live, pleased to see them available now :)

Ashley Capes | website

spin52

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2020, 05:58:59 PM »
Just saw that my two titles which had been waiting since mid-October have appeared on B&N. The descriptions are missing, but that's been happening for the past year with B&N. I suppose they'll turn up eventually so readers can actually see what the book's about.

Traditional mysteries with a dash of humor -- no cats, no cupcakes, no covens.

CoraBuhlert

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2020, 12:16:18 PM »
My two missing titles finally made it to B&N, too, and my two newest releases (yes, I've been busy) showed up there after only two days.

alhawke

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2020, 12:47:35 PM »
and my two newest releases (yes, I've been busy)
You're a machine, Cora. Awesome!   :clap:

I got my preorder up within 24hrs. I think my timing was lucky and, for now, things are smooth at B&N. But there was wonky sales reporting a couple weeks ago. And I still get about twenty junk emails everyday since the hack (at least they go in my junk email).