Author Topic: Design Cuts does it again (Exp Jan 8th)  (Read 3157 times)

RPatton

Design Cuts does it again (Exp Jan 8th)
« on: December 12, 2018, 04:21:26 AM »
https://www.designcuts.com/product/font-gurus-essential-library/

This bundle includes some really good typefaces.

Janson (great for print formatting, and if you need assurances, Architectural Digest uses this version for their article body text). All of the fonts included in this bundle sell for $89 as a package. You already save $60 buying through DC and you get the extended license allowing you to embed the font files in ebooks. Every other font is a bonus at this point.

I could see Botonist being used for fantasy covers or chapter headings.

I use Azkindz as my workhorse sans, but Multiple is really an all-in-one. The alternate characters aren't frufru and fancy, they are variations so don't have to ignore a font because it uses a double storey g and your main font doesn't. (http://www.multiplesans.com/ check out this website, it's a cool explanation of the typeface). Multiple is another font that would be worth buying alone at $29. If you bought this from My Fonts, multiple would be $399.

This is a great font bundle, including a lot of fonts you can use over and over again and all of them have strong readability.

I clicked buy as soon as I saw it.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 05:12:05 AM by RPatton »

The following users thanked this post: Bill Hiatt, Denise, Anarchist, AmHere, OfficialEthanJ

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
Re: Design Cuts does it again (Exp Jan 8th)
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 07:42:25 AM »
The deal really is too good to pass up. Excellent for people who format their own paperbacks, and also useful when creating advertising! I've seen good font deals before, but I can't recall ever seeing one this good.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

RPatton

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 08:09:46 AM »
The deal really is too good to pass up. Excellent for people who format their own paperbacks, and also useful when creating advertising! I've seen good font deals before, but I can't recall ever seeing one this good.

Yeah, this deal is one of those, "how do they do it?" deals. I really do want to know. DC has the best license and attracts professional foundries. URW Janson was used for the titles/credits of Lobster too. It's a good serif that works well in a a lot of places and has the bonus of being a recognizable typeface. Plus this one is a digital design from the ground up and probably closest to what people consider to be Janson. (Janson is one of those typefaces like Garamond, it's more of style than a unique typeface.)

In that entire bundle I don't think I saw a single clunker. Bombshell is great for Romance and Chicklit, Janson hits interiors and is a good workhorse serif, Multiple is possible the workhorse sans, Monroe, Greatly, and Plaquette have great potential for ads and titling.

Seriously, this is a great investment and it's a write-off!

Michelle Louring

• Novella unlocked
  • The owl is pure evil. Don't let him fool you.
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 07:31:09 PM »
Oh man, this is so tempting... But I fear that if I start buying fonts (instead of just spending hours browsing and staring dreamily at them), I might never stop  :icon_eek:

Crazy owl lady. I also occasionally write Fantasy books, but the owl is really all anyone cares about.

https://michellelouring.com/

AmHere

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 11:38:29 PM »

and you get the extended license allowing you to embed the font files in ebooks.

Thank you for this. The bundle is a really good deal.

I am looking for fonts for paperback printing on Amazon which requires fonts be embedded in the pdf sent to them.

I checked the extended license terms here - https://www.designcuts.com/licensing/

I may be misreading the font terms, but I don't see where embedding is allowed. The first 'Do' says it can be used in ebooks but nothing about embedding. And the last 'Don't' says you can't embed for Print on Demand.

What am I missing?

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 02:02:58 AM »

and you get the extended license allowing you to embed the font files in ebooks.

Thank you for this. The bundle is a really good deal.

I am looking for fonts for paperback printing on Amazon which requires fonts be embedded in the pdf sent to them.

I checked the extended license terms here - https://www.designcuts.com/licensing/

I may be misreading the font terms, but I don't see where embedding is allowed. The first 'Do' says it can be used in ebooks but nothing about embedding. And the last 'Don't' says you can't embed for Print on Demand.

What am I missing?
IANAL, but the licensing terms don't say you can't embed for print on demand with no qualifications. The original question, to which the answer is no, is posed this way: "Can I embed the font on a third party/Print on Demand website where third parties who are not licensed are able to work with the font?" Following that are two seemingly contradictory statements.

"Fonts cannot be embedded or uploaded to any P.O.D website, as this would allow for third parties who had not purchased a licence to work with them." However, this statement is in response to the question, "Can I sell my original designs on Print on Demand (P.O.D) websites?" A book is not an original design. This sounds more like people buying a design for their own POD projects, in which case what Design Cuts is trying to prevent is someone buying that original design and then extracting the font from it.

"What if I need to provide my client or printer with original source files? You are allowed to provide your printer with source files for the sole purpose of printing your work, provided that once the printing has occurred, they will delete all files from their system. You are not allowed to provide your clients with layered, source files. Instead they should be provided with final, flattened designs. If your client requires access to source files to make additional changes to your design, they will require a licence for themselves." When you send files to KDP Print, are you not sending them for the sole purpose of printing your work? It's true that KDP Print doesn't delete the files from their system, but by the nature of their process, the printing is ongoing, not a one-shot deal. The question then would be whether the company is allowed to retain files solely for the purpose of printing them on additional occasions.

The last part I quoted doesn't seem to refer to the kind of process a POD producer such as KDP Print uses. There would be two ways to approach this: contact KDP Print and get a rep to verify that they don't try to do anything with the fonts except print your work; contact Design Cuts and ask about KDP Print specifically, armed with whatever KDP has told you about their process. If I wanted to use one of the fonts in print work, that would be the approach I would take.

Design Cuts is concerned about someone stealing their fonts files. Every POD operation obviously doesn't do this, and their own language suggests they may not be thinking about the kind of POD printing we're talking about. It would be worth at least raising the question before giving up.

Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

The following users thanked this post: AmHere

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 02:15:22 AM »
Oh, what do you know? The full license terms add even more confusion. Here are the relevant bits:

In the You-May-Not section, "1. Resell a resource directly or within a wider design/product where the original resource can be extracted in its’ original form. Please see the general and resource specific FAQs for further details. 2. Resell a website template whereby the embedded fonts, graphics or other resources can be extracted. For example – web fonts, or background textures could be extracted by a new customer, without them owning this original licence – this is not acceptable. This is acceptable when the template files are passed on to an individual client, although a licence will be required for both yourself, and your client, to justify this."

In the same section, "4. Use fonts or graphics within ebooks or downloadable publications whereby the fonts or graphics can be extracted in their original form from this document."

None of those direction reference embedding files for printing paperbacks, and it's once again clear that Design Cuts isn't thinking about the same things we are.

There is also a font embedding section. It says, "You may embed characters from the Resources into any document you send to third parties but such documents may be viewed and printed (but not edited) by the recipients. You may not under any circumstances embed characters from the Resources into software or hardware products in which the Resources will be used by the purchasers of such products, or from which the Font Package can be extracted or transmitted. Examples of such products may include but are not limited to electronic books or magazines, mobile applications, gaming consoles or electronic games, embroidering or sewing machines."

Doesn't Word still allow for the embedding of only the characters used in the file? That may be what is alluded to here. Again, it's interesting that embedding in files for printing is not directly addressed. Does KDP Print edit your work? No, it just makes sure that it is print-ready and does the printing. Any editing is handled by you. Do book buyers get a copy from which they can extract fonts? No.

I'm pretty sure if you make the inquiries based on the questions I suggested in my previous post, you will find that Design Cuts is probably OK with what you want to do. In light of the somewhat inconsistent verbiage, it would pay to check, though.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 02:54:22 AM »
If they say it is okay, make sure you save the eMails and keep them some place safe in case you ever need them.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

RPatton

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 03:26:36 AM »
You all are overthinking this.

https://www.designcuts.com/licensing/

It literally says you can use the font in ebooks and online applications.

It then goes on to say you can use a font in a flattened file when sending to a client. So what does that mean? It means the client is not able to extract the font file from the PDF, it sort of sends them an image as opposed to the components of the file. But this has absolutely nothing to do with you unless you are a designer, in which chase you wouldn't be sending a client the raw files anyway.

The third party POD websites mentioned here are not the same as CreateSpace/KDP Print, which is considered a printer and actually follows the usual typical desktop license, which allows for the embedding of fonts to be used by a printer. The third party POD printer they are covering here would be like shutterfly. You cannot allow "customers" to use the font and print up something from your website. It has absolutely nothing to do with off-set or POD printers for books. How do I know? I emailed them and got immediate clarification.

Seriously, instead of attempting to parse a license and interpret it, just drop them an email and ask for clarification. Design Cuts is one of the friendliest, easiest going sites around and will answer all of your questions until you are satisfied with the answer.

The following users thanked this post: Bill Hiatt, Anarchist, AmHere

AmHere

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 06:25:12 AM »

The third party POD websites mentioned here are not the same as CreateSpace/KDP Print, which is considered a printer and actually follows the usual typical desktop license, which allows for the embedding of fonts to be used by a printer. The third party POD printer they are covering here would be like shutterfly. You cannot allow "customers" to use the font and print up something from your website. It has absolutely nothing to do with off-set or POD printers for books. How do I know? I emailed them and got immediate clarification.

Thank you.

OfficialEthanJ

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2018, 03:49:59 AM »
I'm still scrolling, but this pack is amazing! Thanks for sharing!