Author Topic: What does your virtual personal assistant do?  (Read 1918 times)

okey dokey

What does your virtual personal assistant do?
« on: June 07, 2019, 06:41:44 AM »
I'm trying to decide if I need one, and if I can afford one. How, and where, do I find one?
Please share your experiences.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 09:24:54 AM by okey dokey »

VanessaC

Re: What does your virtual personal assistant do?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 12:34:33 AM »
I don't have one for writing - may never be a big enough seller to justify it - but I do use a virtual assistant from time to time thorough my day job.  This has tended to be for specific things like a mass mailing (stuffing envelopes takes time), investigating travel options for work trips, researching costs for specific items, and audio dictation (I use technical language for work, and it's much easier dictating for a human to transcribe).  The virtual assistant service is an independent contractor, so I just pay for the time I use - ideal.

For me, the critical thing is thinking of where my "pain points" are, and whether it would benefit me to have someone help out - for example, I have a cleaner because I loathe housework. It costs me money, but the cleaning gets done and I don't have to do it, so it's totally worth it!

In the writing sphere I've heard big sellers like Rachel Abbot, Nalini Singh and Elle Casey on podcasts where they talk about their assistants (a mix of physically present and virtual assistants).  The sorts of stuff they use them for are monitoring social media, setting up email auto-responders, collating and updating series bibles, booking promos, mailing out signed copies, that kind of thing.  I think some (not necessarily those named authors) also ask their assistants to respond to emails.  Kevin J Anderson also uses a typist to transcribe his dictation (rather than using one of the software programmes).

I think a few have tried to use assistants to run ads for them, but this hasn't always worked well.

(I should say, this doesn't mean I know anything about the process - I've just been listening to a lot of podcasts!!)

Genre: Fantasy

The following users thanked this post: Ghost5

okey dokey

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 02:16:02 AM »
Thanks Vanessa

There seems to be several ways to go with this.
Were any of the virtual assistants in other countries?
How about pay? Hourly or by the task?

The following users thanked this post: VanessaC

VanessaC

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 07:58:00 PM »
Thanks Vanessa

There seems to be several ways to go with this.
Were any of the virtual assistants in other countries?
How about pay? Hourly or by the task?

I think some of them used assistants in other countries - would depend, I think, on the assistant, their skill set, and what the author needed doing.

As far as I'm aware (and I don't have massive experience here) all virtual assistants work freelance, so you pay by the task or an hourly rate - my virtual assistant service for my day job work on an hourly rate, and invoice me at the end of the month for any work done that month.

Genre: Fantasy

okey dokey

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 01:43:33 AM »
Thanks again, Vanessa

lyndabelle

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 10:59:46 AM »
I just need a housekeeper. I would rather be writing than cleaning house.  :banana:

The following users thanked this post: Ghost5

okey dokey

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 07:23:27 AM »
Yep