Author Topic: Has Anyone Purchased Eyewear Online?  (Read 3839 times)

Shoe

Has Anyone Purchased Eyewear Online?
« on: February 12, 2020, 08:56:29 AM »
I've had my eyes checked for the first time since 2005. It appears my prescription had changed.

Question: Do people now buy their frames online? Lenses? Does anyone have a recommendation?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 11:56:57 AM by Shoe »
Martin Luther King: "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

Shoe

Re: Eyeware, Frames, Lens
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 09:38:50 AM »

Eyeglasses are criminally overpriced.  Do you live in Arizona?

North Idaho.
Martin Luther King: "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

notthatamanda

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 09:42:40 AM »
I've had my eyes checked for the first time since 2005. It appears my prescription had changed.

Question: Do people now buy their frames online? Lenses? Does anyone have a recommendation?
I've found the frame prices vary from store to store, so if you can shop around.

If you have any old frames that you can live with, take them in and see if they will refit them with new lenses.  I just did that, literally a week ago and it saved me the cost of the frames. Call around and see if anyone is willing to do that for you. They did reserve the right NOT to use my old frames, but the ones I brought in were okay and they tightened them up and they are almost as good as new now.

I just saw your post that you are in North Idaho, so I'm guessing not a lot of options, but I would still ask (personally I'm not above begging) if there was anyway they could check out any old frame you have and see if they are usable.

Shoe

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 09:58:01 AM »

If you have any old frames that you can live with, take them in and see if they will refit them with new lenses.

I've only checked one local store. Lens only charge with provided frames: $119. That seemed a bit ripe. I tried on some of their new frames. The ones I liked were $275 and $300 (plus $69 for lenses). I found similar-looking frames online for $19 and $25, plus $40 for lenses in either case.

Tomorrow I'll check Walmart's Vision Center, lol. I'm in no rush. I just don't know how other people handle their eyewear needs these days.

notthatamanda

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 10:05:33 AM »

If you have any old frames that you can live with, take them in and see if they will refit them with new lenses.

I've only checked one local store. Lens only charge with provided frames: $119. That seemed a bit ripe. I tried on some of their new frames. The ones I liked were $275 and $300 (plus $69 for lenses). I found similar-looking frames online for $19 and $25, plus $40 for lenses in either case.

Tomorrow I'll check Walmart's Vision Center, lol. I'm in no rush. I just don't know how other people handle their eyewear needs these days.
Mine were $90 for the lens replacement, but those were for reading glasses. Just a reference point for you.

The following users thanked this post: Shoe

Shoe

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 10:24:25 AM »
My most recent exam and glasses were free from an annual free health care event for people like me who can't afford health care. Is there anything like that in your area?

I have Medicare A & B plus Advantage Plus but didn't opt for vision care (I don't have to pay for exams). I don't mind paying for eyewear once every fifteen years. I just don't want to spend local retail prices if everyone else is taking care of their eyewear needs online for much less.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 10:55:30 AM »
I got new frames last year.  I went with the lowest cost ones that I liked.  Probably won't do that again.  The screws, especially on the left lens, frequently come loose.  Fortunately, the screw itself has not come out.  The other day, I put the glasses in my pocket and the lens came right out.  Good thing it didn't fall on concrete instead.  It came out twice in the same week and I had made sure I had tightened it properly each time.  And, right now, it's starting to loosen again.  Left side again.  And it's not like I'm throwing these around or beat them up or anything.  I've got cheaper sunglasses that have been more durable.  Last year, I replaced a pair of sunglasses I've worn for maybe twenty years and only because the lens are pretty scratched by now.  But, otherwise, nothing is falling apart on them.  It's a bummer too because they don't make that style anymore; I got the same type from the same company, but they're not quite the same as the older sunglasses, which was disappointing.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

Lynn

Re: Has Anyone Purchased Eyewear Online?
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 02:26:36 PM »
My brother regularly buys frames and lenses online. He prefers it. He seems happy with his choice and usually pays $40 or less.

Last time I bought, I went to Eyeglass World and bought 4 pair. :-) It was hard to resist since they regularly advertise 2 pair for $78. Even after adding no glare it was cheaper to get those 4 pair than I'd paid for one pair at my local vision center. I still have all 4 pair in working order, no problems at all.

My brother doesn't worry about fit, but I'm picky so I prefer to shop for my glasses in store.

If I couldn't find a local place that sells inexpensive eyeglasses, I'd shop online. At those prices you can afford to replace a sh*tty pair if you choose poorly the first time or two.
Don't rush me.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 04:18:39 PM »
I got new frames last year.  I went with the lowest cost ones that I liked.  Probably won't do that again.  The screws, especially on the left lens, frequently come loose.  Fortunately, the screw itself has not come out.  The other day, I put the glasses in my pocket and the lens came right out.  Good thing it didn't fall on concrete instead.  It came out twice in the same week and I had made sure I had tightened it properly each time.  And, right now, it's starting to loosen again.  Left side again.  And it's not like I'm throwing these around or beat them up or anything.  I've got cheaper sunglasses that have been more durable.  Last year, I replaced a pair of sunglasses I've worn for maybe twenty years and only because the lens are pretty scratched by now.  But, otherwise, nothing is falling apart on them.  It's a bummer too because they don't make that style anymore; I got the same type from the same company, but they're not quite the same as the older sunglasses, which was disappointing.

Can you loctite the screws without hindering the hinge's movement?  If so, I'd try that.  You might want to use super glue to keep the lenses in the frames, too.  Just make sure you put masking tape on the lens faces, because super glue is a bear to get off of anything.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

sliderule

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 01:10:14 AM »
For my daily wear, I go with in-store purchases. Looking nice on my face is kind of important so I need to see them in person.

For my computer use, or reading glasses (bifocals don't cut it for me), I buy online. I don't care what the frames look like since I use them at home.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 03:11:37 AM »
Can you loctite the screws without hindering the hinge's movement?  If so, I'd try that.  You might want to use super glue to keep the lenses in the frames, too.  Just make sure you put masking tape on the lens faces, because super glue is a bear to get off of anything.

I've considered that, but then I wouldn't be able to get replacement lenses for these frames.  I was thinking of maybe trying beeswax.  That might be sticky enough to hold the screw better but not permanently.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

angela

• Short Novel unlocked
  • Indie publishing since 2011. Still kickin'.
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 05:09:20 AM »
I buy mine online. I'm in Canada, so I use clearly.ca

About two years ago, I learned about lens-induced myopia, so I've been working on eye rehab. It's a bit of a red pill thing.

Currently, I use multiple pairs, so that I can have minimal correction for laptop use (to reduce lens-induced myopia).

I've also learned what the numbers mean so I can do it myself. Ordering online is cheaper, plus sometimes it's the only way you can get what you want without having a big argument with glasses salespeople.

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2020, 05:37:10 AM »
My daughter (she's 22) loved her glasses that she got online at eyebuydirect.com. She has an astigmatism, so her cost was $85. She lost them, so she's going back to the eye doctor and then ordering a new pair from the same place.

Hope this helps.

Shoe

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2020, 06:04:26 AM »
Thanks all. Buying online eyewear is definitely a thing. I found the same pair I admired at a local store for $369 online at Warby Parker for $95 complete (titanium hinges, protective coating, non-glare).

Esquire has a good summary for anyone also looking to replace their frames/lens:

https://www.esquire.com/style/mens-accessories/g28321210/best-place-to-buy-glasses-online/

The following users thanked this post: Denise

RiverRun

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2020, 09:11:02 AM »
I don't wear them but some of my family does. I've reading with interest, but thus far, we've just used Walmart viion center. They have a range of prices and quality here.

Denise

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2020, 03:09:41 AM »
I only saw this now.

Yeah, I get my glasses from Zenni.

It usually comes to some $80 with all the bells and whistles (anti oil surface, blue light filter which really does work to make my eyes less tired, 3D clip on, etc)

Once I got a frame that wasn't very solid, but you can read reviews on the website, and avoid the frames with negative reviews. There were some people saying it was flimsy and I should have paid attention.

kenle

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2020, 12:39:57 PM »
I'm usually based in the UK and I've also bought specs online without any issues. Sunglasses too.

Quite a few of these sites have an interesting piece of software called virtual mirror or something. I like how you can see what the frames actually look like on your face!

CaptnAndy

• Short Story unlocked
  • I’m a writer, who writes about what interests me.
    • A.G. Kimbrough Books and Blog
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2020, 03:14:21 AM »
I have increasingly serious vision issues. I use trifocals for everything but the computer. They keep me having to move my head to cover my 38" monitor. I use a pair of high mag reading glasses when at my desktop.
I followed some positive reports of the adjustable glasses, but was unwilling to try them at $90+ a pair. Last week, I saw the following fb link, and ordered 2 pair of these. I haven't received them yet, but will report here on my results. The price made it worth a try for me.
Link:  https://carowigs.com/products/adjustable-glasses
When I read Heinlein's Stranger in a strange land, I Grokked, and the die was cast.
       Many of my books are science fiction and don’t include steam punk, fantasy, time travel, magic, elves or faeries.
       As a naval and military history buff, I also have written several books that feature warships, aircraft, airships, spacecraft, and military action.
       If Things Get Better With Age Then this 1944 model is Approaching Excellent.

Mammasan

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2020, 04:22:07 AM »
I have increasingly serious vision issues. I use trifocals for everything but the computer. They keep me having to move my head to cover my 38" monitor. I use a pair of high mag reading glasses when at my desktop.
I followed some positive reports of the adjustable glasses, but was unwilling to try them at $90+ a pair. Last week, I saw the following fb link, and ordered 2 pair of these. I haven't received them yet, but will report here on my results. The price made it worth a try for me.
Link:  https://carowigs.com/products/adjustable-glasses

I'd never heard of adjustable glasses before. I am looking forward to your review of them.

Betty Blast

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2020, 01:37:00 AM »
After purchasing glasses from my optometrist, I tried several sites for $10 back-up glasses. The glasses I ordered from Zenni.com were the only ones that didn't give me a headache. I use them hiking and as back-up glasses.

Vidya

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2020, 01:43:50 AM »
CaptnAndy, did you get your adjustable glasses yet? I too was looking forward to your review of them.

Hopscotch

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2020, 02:02:02 AM »
As no one's mentioned $39 Glasses online, I will.  Have been using them for 7yrs.  My bifocals w/special coatings run about $110 total, cheaper w/a coupon.  When a frame broke, they sent me a new one, no cost/no fuss.

39dollarglasses.com
. .

The following users thanked this post: Denise

CaptnAndy

• Short Story unlocked
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2020, 03:23:14 AM »
My adjustable eyeglasses have not arrived, and I'm trying to get my money back. I think anything advertised on fb that is not available on Amazon, is probably a scam.
When I read Heinlein's Stranger in a strange land, I Grokked, and the die was cast.
       Many of my books are science fiction and don’t include steam punk, fantasy, time travel, magic, elves or faeries.
       As a naval and military history buff, I also have written several books that feature warships, aircraft, airships, spacecraft, and military action.

The following users thanked this post: Vidya

Vidya

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2020, 05:20:31 AM »
CaptnAndy, I’m sorry to hear that. I was tempted to order them when you posted about them, but I never give credit card details to any unknown site.

Mammasan

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2020, 06:57:19 AM »
So sorry to hear that. Hope you get your money back.

CaptnAndy

• Short Story unlocked
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2020, 04:17:58 AM »
They are available on Amazon, but all the reviews are either bad, or look like they are paid. Good idea, but execution so far is shoddy.

The following users thanked this post: Vidya

Denise

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2020, 11:50:08 AM »
Hope you get your money back. Really sorry to hear that.