Author Topic: Are you ever tempted to ... ?  (Read 885 times)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • Just4kix Books
Are you ever tempted to ... ?
« on: May 24, 2020, 09:35:54 PM »
... correct someone's spelling or grammar on a Facebook or other forum post? I feel it is impolite to correct someone's spelling or grammar publicly, but have on a few occasions sent a private message if I feel that the correction is important.  But most people would perhaps not notice or care about spelling or grammar issues if the meaning is clear.

I've just seen a Facebook post: "Thank you for excepting me into this group." It could be spell check at work against the poster (I'm sure we've all had that happen  :icon_rolleyes:). I usually put my red editing pen aside for this sort of thing because I know I often make mistakes myself, but sometimes I have to grit my teeth.  :doh:

Non-fiction, Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

LilyBLily

Re: Are you ever tempted to ... ?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 11:43:16 PM »
You could correct the person by making the kind assumption that it was SpellCheck's error, and not theirs.

It's a dicey area. Best not.

idontknowyet

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 12:30:19 AM »
nope cause im that person making the mistake. I don't bother with spelling or grammar or usually punctuation. its the net. if the meaning is clear move on to the next post/message.

Vidya

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 07:32:37 AM »
I’m never tempted. I’m sure it would just give offense. People don't like being corrected.