Author Topic: Now I know why I will never get a BookBub  (Read 56826 times)

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: Now I know why I will never get a BookBub
« Reply #250 on: June 08, 2021, 12:02:30 PM »
You mean pushing readers to leave ratings?

Yes.

More aggressive about asking for a rating when a reader gets to the end of a book.

I'm not sure how, but I'd guess that a lot of readers currently think they have to do a rating now. Like back when we got a lot of crap reviews because readers thought they had to do one.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

JRTomlin

« Reply #251 on: June 09, 2021, 04:41:10 AM »
Getting mainly ratings rather than reviews is a bit of a problem with new novels. I had plenty of ratings but few reviews on one of mine. Well, it happened a very negative review (that I am pretty sure was actually for a different novel since the comments did not apply to mine) stayed at the top of the reviews for weeks. In the meantime, I got a lot of good ratings that of course did not push it down.

My 99¢ int'l BB promo that cost $204 ran yesterday. I supported it with about $100 advertising on BB and eReaderIQ. Counting sell-through to the rest of the series the sales have been $285. So I haven't reached the break-even point, but it's getting close. The price reduction lasts for one more day and the BB ad is still running and I'm still getting sales from the BB promo it looks like, so I am hopeful it will at least break even. Any RoI will take a while for more sell-though. Still, I've done worse on ad campaigns.

LilyBLily

« Reply #252 on: June 09, 2021, 07:54:13 AM »
Getting mainly ratings rather than reviews is a bit of a problem with new novels. I had plenty of ratings but few reviews on one of mine. Well, it happened a very negative review (that I am pretty sure was actually for a different novel since the comments did not apply to mine) stayed at the top of the reviews for weeks. In the meantime, I got a lot of good ratings that of course did not push it down.

My 99¢ int'l BB promo that cost $204 ran yesterday. I supported it with about $100 advertising on BB and eReaderIQ. Counting sell-through to the rest of the series the sales have been $285. So I haven't reached the break-even point, but it's getting close. The price reduction lasts for one more day and the BB ad is still running and I'm still getting sales from the BB promo it looks like, so I am hopeful it will at least break even. Any RoI will take a while for more sell-though. Still, I've done worse on ad campaigns.

I hope your numbers will draw ahead. Even a very small tail should do it. I'm still seeing a sale here or there on wide venues where I couldn't get arrested previously.

It never occurred to me to support the international ads with a U.S. BookBub PPC ad. I'll have to think about that. The problem is controlling the costs, but if the book is already discounted I've already done most of the work of a wide ad and it could be worth the risk.

As to my books with new ratings, they already had some decent reviews (and enough meh reviews to be credible). Of course I would prefer a bunch of thoughtful, enthusiastic, and new reviews, but I'll take what I can get.

alhawke

« Reply #253 on: June 09, 2021, 11:21:40 AM »
My 99¢ int'l BB promo that cost $204 ran yesterday. I supported it with about $100 advertising on BB and eReaderIQ. Counting sell-through to the rest of the series the sales have been $285. So I haven't reached the break-even point, but it's getting close.
Congrats! Sounds like you did great. I agree with LilBLily--your tail should pull you far ahead.

The following users thanked this post: JRTomlin

LilyBLily

« Reply #254 on: June 09, 2021, 09:50:30 PM »
<snip>
The last international I did (a month or so ago) was profitable, but it attracted some negative reviews because it's trilogy 3 in a well established world (a couple of readers had a tantrum because you have to read the earlier trilogies to fully understand how everything came to be). That trilogy had a 4.8 rating and it now has a 4.4 solely because of the international BookBub. It really wasn't worth it.

Oh, ouch.  :HB

JRTomlin

« Reply #255 on: June 10, 2021, 02:48:41 PM »
The sales hit $350 today so it is ahead now. My previous experience with internationals was not exactly encouraging, so I'm happy to see that.

With the BB PPC ads, the trick I believe is targeting. I did some test ads, which were a bit expensive since some of the tests were failures. However, I did end up with a list of comp authors to target that gives me a good number of clicks. The other issue is cost. I try to keep that low because I am pretty sure that I only get about 8% sales which obviously means I don't want to pay much for each click.

LilyBLily

« Reply #256 on: June 10, 2021, 11:22:17 PM »
The sales hit $350 today so it is ahead now. My previous experience with internationals was not exactly encouraging, so I'm happy to see that.

With the BB PPC ads, the trick I believe is targeting. I did some test ads, which were a bit expensive since some of the tests were failures. However, I did end up with a list of comp authors to target that gives me a good number of clicks. The other issue is cost. I try to keep that low because I am pretty sure that I only get about 8% sales which obviously means I don't want to pay much for each click.

:tup3b

LilyBLily

« Reply #257 on: June 11, 2021, 12:19:14 AM »
This time around I decided to do a BookBub CPC ad for the days after the international BB ad. Tight budget and targeting and the sale price is on the ad to make the deal very clear. We shall see.

idontknowyet

« Reply #258 on: June 11, 2021, 05:38:13 AM »
Eek! I applied for my first bookbub!!!

The following users thanked this post: JRTomlin

alhawke

« Reply #259 on: June 11, 2021, 06:29:01 AM »
Good luck!  :cheers

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet

JRTomlin

« Reply #260 on: June 11, 2021, 06:51:24 AM »
Good luck. Hopefully, you'll get it on your first try, but if you don't that doesn't mean you should give up. To use my own experience as an example, over the past 6 years I have had 19 Bookbub promotions, all but 2 including the US. But between my last two, I was turned down seven times. 🤷‍♀️

There have been times when I've had more than that turned down in a row. So persistence pays.

LilyBLily

« Reply #261 on: June 11, 2021, 07:05:01 AM »

Good luck!

Pemry Janes

« Reply #262 on: June 11, 2021, 03:43:00 PM »
Good luck!
Genre: Fantasy

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #263 on: June 11, 2021, 04:28:58 PM »

Good luck!

And if you get turned down, don't sweat it.  I didn't get an acceptance until the thirteenth submission.  And there are others who have had far more rejections than that before getting their first acceptances.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

notthatamanda

« Reply #264 on: June 11, 2021, 08:06:02 PM »
Fingers crossed for you!

JRTomlin

« Reply #265 on: June 12, 2021, 01:21:11 AM »
Gah! I was so sure I had price changes on Amazon down pat. (reminder to self: never brag)

I did my Amazon price change to 99¢ manually rather than depend on a price match. When the promotion ended, I changed all the wide prices back but not Amazon. Once I checked that the other price changes had gone through, I changed Amazon quite sure that I would avoid a price-match. And Amazon still price matched to prices no longer in effect! *tears hair out*

Email them and received their 'we'll take a few days to think about it' response. 🤦‍♀️

alhawke

« Reply #266 on: June 12, 2021, 02:55:25 AM »
Email them and received their 'we'll take a few days to think about it' response. 🤦‍♀️
It's super irritating.  :HB  I'm surprised when I don't have problems now.

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet, JRTomlin

alhawke

« Reply #267 on: June 13, 2021, 04:49:15 AM »
 :rant Just realized my new book is still "price matched" at $0.99 in Amazon Canada after two weeks.  :rant

idontknowyet

« Reply #268 on: June 13, 2021, 05:25:33 AM »
I am totally not shocked that i didn't get my bookbub.

Refusal #1

JRTomlin

« Reply #269 on: June 13, 2021, 05:33:02 AM »
I *think* all my 'price matching' is fixed now, but I might have missed something. *heavy sigh*

Refusal #1
It's always good to get that first one out of the way. Better luck next time!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 05:37:16 AM by JRTomlin »

LilyBLily

« Reply #270 on: June 13, 2021, 05:35:31 AM »

Refusal #1

Better luck next time!   :smilie_zauber:

JRTomlin

« Reply #271 on: June 13, 2021, 08:39:45 AM »

Refusal #1

You're not missing much. These days I prefer to use tactics I can control like the click ads and promo stack you're running. You don't need anyone's approval to do that!
I totally sympathise and use those tactics as well. Unfortunately, none of them bring me the results of BB promotion. I sincerely wish they did. It is way beyond irritating that we cannot properly plan our promotions.

JRTomlin

« Reply #272 on: June 14, 2021, 02:15:49 AM »
This one I combined with a BB click ad and a couple of other promos and it was all right, not great but worth doing.

ETA: I am definitely a 'little indie'. Having had quite a few BB promos including in the recent past, I feel safe in saying that it is not impossible to get one. It is difficult. It almost always takes a number of tries and is definitely discouraging. It isn't fun getting 8 or 10 rejections before you get one. But it can eventually pay off.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 04:44:56 AM by JRTomlin »

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, idontknowyet

Simon Haynes

« Reply #273 on: June 22, 2021, 02:43:26 PM »
Just got another intl bookbub deal. Applied last night my time, accepted when I checked this morning.

The promo is for the 3rd of July, and I'm going to discount the book in question for the whole month. (Makes it much easier to book all the US-centric promos with their lengthy lead times.)

I'm 5 for 5 with submissions/acceptances with BB recently, all of them international alas, but I will never turn my nose up at those.

What surprises me is that I still have books which ran BBs 'recently' (to me) and it turns out they were 2 years ago.

alhawke

« Reply #274 on: June 22, 2021, 03:04:12 PM »
I'm 5 for 5 with submissions/acceptances with BB recently
Awesomeness!  :dance:

The following users thanked this post: Simon Haynes, idontknowyet

notthatamanda

« Reply #275 on: June 22, 2021, 08:46:41 PM »
Just got another intl bookbub deal. Applied last night my time, accepted when I checked this morning.

The promo is for the 3rd of July, and I'm going to discount the book in question for the whole month. (Makes it much easier to book all the US-centric promos with their lengthy lead times.)

I'm 5 for 5 with submissions/acceptances with BB recently, all of them international alas, but I will never turn my nose up at those.

What surprises me is that I still have books which ran BBs 'recently' (to me) and it turns out they were 2 years ago.
Congratulations and good luck!

The following users thanked this post: Simon Haynes, idontknowyet

LilyBLily

« Reply #276 on: June 22, 2021, 10:51:39 PM »

:clap: :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em

LilyBLily

« Reply #277 on: June 23, 2021, 03:08:30 AM »
I have one more women's fiction title published and once this latest international is over I will submit that last book. I don't expect it to get accepted, but I might do a U.S.-only 99-cent discount stack next month on my own and see if I can get anywhere with it. I'm still picking up full-price sales based on the other combo promos spearheaded by the international BookBub ads. There definitely is a small tail.

LilyBLily

« Reply #278 on: June 23, 2021, 10:22:40 PM »
I should probably put this under "Shooting myself in the foot." My promo stack for this month's international BookBub starts today and for some reason I had "Manually reduce the Amazon price" on my calendar for today also.

:icon_redface:

When I got to the "It could take up to 72 hours" screen I realized my error. Oops.

:icon_redface: :icon_redface: :icon_redface: :shrug

But all's well that ends well, since Amazon sent me the confirmation email early this morning. Let the games begin!

:tup3b

notthatamanda

« Reply #279 on: June 24, 2021, 08:55:19 PM »
Good luck!

Gerri Attrick

« Reply #280 on: June 24, 2021, 09:34:25 PM »
Good luck, Simon and Lily.

I'm thinking of applying to Bookbub again. Book 5 in my mystery series is due to be published on 23rd July - it is currently on pre-order. All the books are in KU and I have never run a free promo on any of them, but I'm thinking of making the first in the series free to help promote the new release.

The question is, when should I do it? A week before? The same day? A week after? I've really no idea what will work best.

If I can't get a BB (or even if I do) I'll probably apply to Fussy Librarian. They've worked well for me in the past on a permafree first in another series.

LilyBLily

« Reply #281 on: June 24, 2021, 09:41:03 PM »
Speculating that when the new release is not a pre-order anymore and new readers can have instant gratification would work best for sell-through. If you'll have a batch of reviews within the first week, that might sway BB, too. Certainly mention to BB that the proposed ad would coincide with a new release (which you already will have BB sending to your followers, right?).

Simon, go for the gold.  :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em

The following users thanked this post: Gerri Attrick

Simon Haynes

« Reply #282 on: June 25, 2021, 02:50:09 PM »
Got an email from Amazon last week asking if I was interested in a Kindle Deal on a different book (first in series) for amazon.co.uk.  I've had these before and they never eventuated, so I just clicked yes and forgot about it.

Well, it got accepted, and that book is a 99p featured deal for the month of July on amazon UK.  I've not had one of these in my 10+ years as an indie author, but to be honest my expectations are low as I've heard from various sources it's not that much of a thing.

LilyBLily

« Reply #283 on: June 25, 2021, 09:07:59 PM »
Got an email from Amazon last week asking if I was interested in a Kindle Deal on a different book (first in series) for amazon.co.uk.  I've had these before and they never eventuated, so I just clicked yes and forgot about it.

Well, it got accepted, and that book is a 99p featured deal for the month of July on amazon UK.  I've not had one of these in my 10+ years as an indie author, but to be honest my expectations are low as I've heard from various sources it's not that much of a thing.

Still, it could mean a trickle of additional attention and revenue.  :tup3b

The following users thanked this post: Simon Haynes

Simon Haynes

« Reply #284 on: June 25, 2021, 09:34:04 PM »
Absolutely, and if I had to pick a book of mine which is perfect for the UK market, it's this one.

notthatamanda

« Reply #285 on: June 26, 2021, 11:19:30 PM »

Good luck with it.

LilyBLily

« Reply #286 on: June 27, 2021, 03:04:39 AM »
So far, I am not sanguine about this international BookBub. I thought the ad copy BB wrote was particularly weak, and I am not surprised that the sales reported are meh. I think it's possible I will break even but I would be shocked if there was a profit. Bummer.

Additionally, I just checked my BookBub click ad--which shows the discount price of 99 cents on the ad--and it was delivering clicks at 83 and 84 cents per click. I've stopped it cold. It had a hard budget limit of $30 and just spent half in the last three hours. I might be able to ascribe 8 sales to Kobo, but I won't know about Apple until tomorrow and I am not optimistic enough to chance it. The click price is way too high. Correct me if I am wrong about stopping this ad, and I will turn it on again. 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 03:20:53 AM by LilyBLily »

alhawke

« Reply #287 on: June 27, 2021, 03:09:16 AM »
So far, I am not sanguine about this international BookBub. I thought the ad copy BB wrote was particularly weak, and I am not surprised that the sales reported are meh. I think it's possible I will break even but I would be shocked if there was a profit. Bummer. 
Hopefully you'll put out in the end with a tail. My international BB did. Something to consider is that in the US we're in vacation-everyone-go-out-and-play-post-covid mode. I really think this is effecting sales. Unfortunately, I have a big non BB promo scheduled in two weeks and I have a feeling the state of the world will effect mine too.
(BookBub update: at 15 rejections since my last BookBub and counting  :HB

The following users thanked this post: LilyBLily

LilyBLily

« Reply #288 on: June 27, 2021, 03:24:58 AM »
Hopefully you'll put out in the end with a tail. My international BB did. Something to consider is that in the US we're in vacation-everyone-go-out-and-play-post-covid mode. I really think this is effecting sales. Unfortunately, I have a big non BB promo scheduled in two weeks and I have a feeling the state of the world will effect mine too.
(BookBub update: at 15 rejections since my last BookBub and counting  :HB

Thanks. This meager showing puts a different spin on my immediate plans, as my edit to the above post shows. I've stopped the BB click ad since it is hemorrhaging. I'll send out my newsletter a day earlier than planned and do my social media announcements sooner, too.   

LilyBLily

« Reply #289 on: June 27, 2021, 03:27:36 AM »
And I have that Hello Books ad scheduled for late next week (they come out on Fridays) when many people will be busy with family reunions and bbqs and all the rest for Fourth of July.  I don't know whether to :HB or to  :smilie_zauber:

alhawke

« Reply #290 on: June 27, 2021, 06:15:50 AM »
And I have that Hello Books ad scheduled for late next week (they come out on Fridays) when many people will be busy with family reunions and bbqs and all the rest for Fourth of July.  I don't know whether to :HB or to  :smilie_zauber:
I've never used Hello Books. It's a Facebooks group promotion, right??
I'd just run your ad. There's just know way to tell. My blitz starts the week after on the week of July 12th and I'm sure I'm facing summer travel/bbq stuff then too but I'm carrying on.

LilyBLily

« Reply #291 on: June 27, 2021, 06:40:55 AM »
It's Facebook. I had thought it might cut into full-price sales that would be sell-through from this BookBub, but now I doubt such an unsuccessful BB ad will produce sell-through. So it will be a more or less clean slate test of Hello Books.

On the positive side, the ratings are still rolling in for the title that was featured in my second BB international ad. Getting something like 70 new ratings without forking over a couple hundred dollars to review sites is just as good as money in the bank to me. (That never happened the two times I did free runs of other titles, by the way. People grabbed the books but did not read them. Guess they liked the cover art.)

The following users thanked this post: alhawke

LilyBLily

« Reply #292 on: June 29, 2021, 12:41:53 AM »
One of the shockers about this failed international ad is that so far--and this is the last day of the promo--I've had exactly one sale on Barnes & Noble total. Late reporting? I don't think so. Very late or screwed up reporting? Maybe. A bad link? BookBub tests all the links in advance AFAIK to make sure the titles are discounted. When I was missing one market on a prior ad, they emailed me to alert me. The B&N store shows the book discounted, too. It's a mystery. Even Google Play, a venue where my books normally seem to be invisible, reports many more sales than B&N this time around.

Currently, this BB ad has paid for itself but not yet earned out the other ads I stacked. It's going to be close, unless B&N suddenly reports a bunch of missing sales. 

RiverRun

« Reply #293 on: June 29, 2021, 01:31:02 AM »
I had a book ad this week with Hello Books. I made it free in KU for 5 days, with the ad running on the third day. First couple days I gave away 50 books or so a day (no promotion). Day of the ad I gave away over 400. (genre is historical mystery) In case you want something to compare it to. Fussy librarian was double that, (the only other ad I've had for this book) but since Hello Books is new, I didn't expect much. No sell thru because I have not finished the next book in the series yet. It was mostly a low cost way to have something moving on my kdp page:) And, theoretically, to gain more visibility, ratings, etc.

LilyBLily

« Reply #294 on: June 29, 2021, 03:20:32 AM »

B&N can be slow to report or even miss entirely. I had a 8 days of zero sales and wrote to B&N. Sure enough they had a glitch and the sales were reported for all days.

I would write to them. Tell them you had a BookBub and get them to check the sales report.

Great idea. I will do that.

LilyBLily

« Reply #295 on: June 29, 2021, 03:29:26 AM »
I had a book ad this week with Hello Books. I made it free in KU for 5 days, with the ad running on the third day. First couple days I gave away 50 books or so a day (no promotion). Day of the ad I gave away over 400. (genre is historical mystery) In case you want something to compare it to. Fussy librarian was double that, (the only other ad I've had for this book) but since Hello Books is new, I didn't expect much. No sell thru because I have not finished the next book in the series yet. It was mostly a low cost way to have something moving on my kdp page:) And, theoretically, to gain more visibility, ratings, etc.

Mine is this coming weekend, at 99 cents. I'm not promoting it anywhere else during the weekend sale period because I want to see exactly what Hello Books can do for me on its own. Also because that title has already been seen via a sales stack surrounding a BookBub international ad and I want this discount to appear to a totally new audience.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #296 on: June 29, 2021, 05:36:09 AM »
One of the shockers about this failed international ad is that so far--and this is the last day of the promo--I've had exactly one sale on Barnes & Noble total.

That doesn't really surprise me.  B&N is an American retailer, by which I mean it's the "least international" of the major retailers.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

LilyBLily

« Reply #297 on: June 29, 2021, 07:12:10 AM »
One of the shockers about this failed international ad is that so far--and this is the last day of the promo--I've had exactly one sale on Barnes & Noble total.

That doesn't really surprise me.  B&N is an American retailer, by which I mean it's the "least international" of the major retailers.

Lol. I've just realized lilybily ran an international-only, which might explain why there aren't any B&N sales.

PS I'd still check with B&N to be sure.

They haven't answered yet. The previous BB international ads resulted in hundreds of sales, which quite surprised me. This book has been advertised to U.S. readers on BB in a click ad and on a couple of ad newsletters and in my own newsletter. It's unlikely that every single sale from all those U.S. ads would be on Amazon and zero would be on B&N. 

LilyBLily

« Reply #298 on: July 02, 2021, 05:20:06 AM »
Still no answer from B&N after writing them a second time. The sales page remains amazingly empty.

Absent those potential sales, this third international BB ad has just squeaked by into profitability, but was hardly worth my time and effort to create the sales stack and make all the pricing changes and then police them. Amazon did promptly put my regular price back up, but Google, which is not supposed to require manual intervention, had to be manually adjusted anyway.

I doubt I will want to submit to BB again for another six months. I've learned a few things and made a small profit, but it wasn't life-changing. Fun to watch the numbers, though.

LilyBLily

« Reply #299 on: July 02, 2021, 09:57:00 AM »
B&N sent me a "You're an idiot who can't read a dashboard" reply complete with helpful descriptions of all the (currently blank) sales charts. I wrote back and reiterated that they should investigate.

It is of course theoretically possible that among the many hundreds of cheap sales this round of ads produced, only one was on B&N. I don't believe it. Or maybe the link BookBub used was broken. But they test. Or maybe the links on the other ads were all broken. Maybe? Nah.