Author Topic: Are dust resistant keyboards really dust resistant?  (Read 1483 times)

Vidya

Are dust resistant keyboards really dust resistant?
« on: October 26, 2020, 08:31:48 PM »
There are now some keyboards in India that claim to be dust resistant:

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08GXDMLNJ?ref=myi_title_dp

there’s even one that claims to be Anti-Microbial, that Contains Growth of Harmful Bacteria and viruses:

https://www.amazon.in/TVS-Electronics-Keyboard-Anti-Microbial-Contains/dp/B08GWXPQRX/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=TVS+Electronics+Gold+Keyboard&qid=1603673728&s=computers&sr=1-4

are the dust resistant ones really dust resistant? How? does it mean no dirt can get in between the keys?

I asked my computer tech and he said he only has the ordinary ones. He said there’s no such thing as dust resistant and it’s just a marketing gimmick.

Anyone ever used a dust resistant keyboard? How well did it work?

Simon Haynes

Re: Are dust resistant keyboards really dust resistant?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 09:18:17 PM »
When I used to sell computers, many years ago, you could get a moulded latex cover for some keyboards. (We used to install computers in bars & hotels, so spills were an issue)

Nowadays I have no idea whether it's a thing. I have a big air compressor and a spray nozzle, so when it gets too much I take my Corsair kb outside and blow the dust out.

However, I'd suggest dust in the PC is a much bigger issue. In most computers the CPU heatsink (under the fan) is completely clogged, which means it overheats and throttles to a lower speed to protect itself.

I blow mine out every couple of months, and the dust cloud travels across the next three houses in the street. When I did my friend's PC I think they issued a smog warning on the weather forecast.

The following users thanked this post: Vidya

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 11:03:01 PM »
However, I'd suggest dust in the PC is a much bigger issue. In most computers the CPU heatsink (under the fan) is completely clogged, which means it overheats and throttles to a lower speed to protect itself.

Agreed.

Oddly, my current desktop has always been ON the desktop, and is still pristine inside.

Where every single PC box in the past has been on the floor beside the desk, and clogged up with dust.

I'd never heard of dust resistant kbs, and I used to sell computers as well.

The biggest problem for kbs is not dust, but coffee and sticky drinks.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Lynn

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 12:24:16 AM »
I use a silicon cover on my laptop keyboard. They're great protection from spills and dust. Cleaning it is as easy as soap and water and letting it dry, then putting it back on. I replace it every few years when I wear off the letters with my typing. There are a wide variety for a wide variety of keyboards. Personally, I like how they make those awful chiclet style keys feel. It's a much nicer typing feel for me.
Don't rush me.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 12:47:32 AM »

How long ago? This was 1989/1990.  We sold Casio cash registers, and the same distributor had Amstrad computers, which is how I ended up selling those.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 01:04:37 AM »

How long ago? This was 1989/1990.  We sold Casio cash registers, and the same distributor had Amstrad computers, which is how I ended up selling those.

Pre-2000. Might have been 1998 I last sold custom builds.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

JRTomlin

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 01:19:09 PM »
When I used to sell computers, many years ago, you could get a moulded latex cover for some keyboards. (We used to install computers in bars & hotels, so spills were an issue)

Nowadays I have no idea whether it's a thing. I have a big air compressor and a spray nozzle, so when it gets too much I take my Corsair kb outside and blow the dust out.

I blow mine out every couple of months, and the dust cloud travels across the next three houses in the street. When I did my friend's PC I think they issued a smog warning on the weather forecast.
Keyboard covers are very much a thing and pretty popular at the moment with concerns about viruses, since unlike keyboards you can wash them. They are silicon rather than latex and very thin. I use one partly because I can wash it and partly because I am prone to drowning keyboards in coffee. I haven't found dust to be an issue. (Cookie crumbs maybe) I've murdered more than one. 😜

Ultra Thin Desktop PC Silicone Clear Keyboard Cover Skin Protector Compatible... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N115MZZ/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_ad5LFbQXXV2GH?_x_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 via @amazon