Author Topic: 50+ words a day...no matter what!  (Read 308794 times)

Post-Crisis D

Re: 50+ words a day...no matter what!
« Reply #800 on: July 24, 2019, 03:19:34 AM »
I wrote 235 words for the lame space opera today.  It really needs a lot of work.  I like the prologue but I'm not yet happy with anything else.

I ended up writing more on the regular space opera yesterday, so I finished with a total of 350 words on it yesterday.  And I've written 269 words for it so far today.

I'd really like to finish the lame space opera first, because it was supposed to be an easy thing to finish, and I thought it would give me something in the genre to release prior to the regular (more serious) space opera.  The plan was for the lame space opera to be around 30k words.  Maybe 40k?  But it's at about 33k right now and nothing much has really actually happened yet.  There's supposed to be tons of space battles and whatnot and it's a lot of dialogue.  Except for the prologue.  The prologue is pretty balanced with action and dialogue.  The rest, ugh.

I spent last night making a video that I hope will get people to try my books.  We'll see.  LOL :pdt

Good luck with the video!
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton

Maggie Ann

« Reply #801 on: July 24, 2019, 04:13:46 AM »
Dan, I'm glad you recreated your drawing!  And Maggie, your book sounds very intriguing.

I spent last night making a video that I hope will get people to try my books.  We'll see.  LOL :pdt

Thanks, Lori. I'm hoping for at least interesting, but I'll take intriguing. ;)

Good luck with the video. I have a few up on youtube but never could figure out what to do with them.

Finished editing the WiP last night. Nearly 25K and 104 pages.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #802 on: July 24, 2019, 11:10:23 AM »
I like making book trailers and I think they help a little with sales.  I mainly post them on social media.  This video has four trailers that I added in a 'playlist' and I have a few people watching all the way though...so that's a start!  :cheers

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

Maggie Ann

« Reply #803 on: July 24, 2019, 12:36:48 PM »
Too many errands to run today, but I did manage 208 words. Not a lot but at least it was something.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #804 on: July 25, 2019, 07:31:17 AM »
Wrote 340 words for the lame space opera today.  It's a hot mess.  I really should stop working on it and step away from it for a time and come back to it fresh.

Yesterday, I ended up writing 567 words for the regular space opera and I've written 45 words for it so far today.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #805 on: July 25, 2019, 08:50:45 AM »
Power went out last night during a thunderstorm, so no writing for me. 
It was back on this morning, so maybe I'll get some words down tonight.  :writethink:

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #806 on: July 25, 2019, 09:08:32 AM »

Reminds me of the time I had a big Latin test back when I was still in school.  I wrote a computer program to quiz me and help me study for this test.  Night before the test, I think I started studying using my program and then . . . thunderstorm . . . power outage . . .  I think the power was down for like two hours.  And then it was bedtime . . .

Maggie Ann

« Reply #807 on: July 25, 2019, 10:48:57 PM »
It was back on this morning, so maybe I'll get some words down tonight.  :writethink:

You need an AlphaSmart. It runs on AA batteries which last about a year. Lightweight and easy to take anywhere. Just plug it into your laptop, hit send, and it uploads the wordage into your doc.

They don't make them anymore, but you can get them on Amazon or Ebay. I like the Neo best. Some of them have internet capability and some don't. I like not being plugged in while I'm writing.

About $30-40.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #808 on: July 26, 2019, 06:24:51 AM »
Wrote 1,040 words today for the lame space opera.

Didn't write anymore on the regular space opera yesterday and have only written 35 words for it so far today.

As for the sketch I had to recreate the other day, here he is for a limited time:

An eight year-old could probably do better but it is what it is.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #809 on: July 26, 2019, 11:51:33 AM »
Wrote 1,040 words today for the lame space opera.

Didn't write anymore on the regular space opera yesterday and have only written 35 words for it so far today.

As for the sketch I had to recreate the other day, here he is for a limited time:

An eight year-old could probably do better but it is what it is.

Aww, he's sweet.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Post-Crisis D

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #810 on: July 26, 2019, 12:37:38 PM »
Dan, nice drawing! What's that logo on his shirt? :smilie_zauber:

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #811 on: July 26, 2019, 01:20:58 PM »
Aww, he's sweet.

Thanks!

Dan, nice drawing! What's that logo on his shirt? :smilie_zauber:

Thanks!

The emblem either represents whatever space military he's in or his particular duty classification.  I haven't fully decided.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #812 on: July 27, 2019, 02:02:22 AM »
I didn't think I was going to make it to the library today, but my writerly self drove the car there instead of WalMart. I'll take the library any day over WalMart. So, 1420 words that I'm happy with. The story, both the mystery and romance sides, are progressing nicely.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #813 on: July 27, 2019, 02:32:50 AM »
So far, zero words written in the lame space opera and 7 words written in the regular space opera.

The lame space opera's word count is likely to drop from 35k to 7k today.  I am thinking about scrapping about 28k of it and starting over at chapter 3.  I'll still use some of that 28k, but will work it in as I revamp this thing.

Unless I change my mind once I get into it.  LOL.

But, as I was thinking of it last night and this morning, I think that may be the best way get this story on track.  I mean, it was supposed to be a short work to begin with, 30k-40k words I figured, and it's at 35k words and nothing has happened.  Plus two characters that were supposed to be in the main cast have fallen by the wayside and haven't been mentioned since the first chapter.  And there's thirty-three chapters so far!

So, I think I'm going to go over the characters, maybe do some trimming and merging, and see if I can get this thing on track.

Today's alien:

Maggie Ann

« Reply #814 on: July 27, 2019, 02:49:48 AM »
So far, zero words written in the lame space opera and 7 words written in the regular space opera.

The lame space opera's word count is likely to drop from 35k to 7k today.  I am thinking about scrapping about 28k of it and starting over at chapter 3.  I'll still use some of that 28k, but will work it in as I revamp this thing.

Unless I change my mind once I get into it.  LOL.

But, as I was thinking of it last night and this morning, I think that may be the best way get this story on track.  I mean, it was supposed to be a short work to begin with, 30k-40k words I figured, and it's at 35k words and nothing has happened.  Plus two characters that were supposed to be in the main cast have fallen by the wayside and haven't been mentioned since the first chapter.  And there's thirty-three chapters so far!

So, I think I'm going to go over the characters, maybe do some trimming and merging, and see if I can get this thing on track.

Today's alien:

Not as sweet as the other one, but a very inventive alien.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #815 on: July 27, 2019, 07:05:41 AM »
Okay, so 580 words written in the lame space opera today.  I think I've figured a way to salvage most of the 28k words that would have been scrapped.  Have still done some trimming, but I merged one character into another and demoted another character.

The problem is that the captain seems reasonably capable in the first chapter, but comes across as an utter moron in subsequent chapters.  That problem was caused by trying to merge different works together.  Now, the captain from chapter one remains the captain and the captain from subsequent chapters has been demoted.  So, now the character can remain a moron and the captain can still appear reasonably capable.  I think it's funnier now.

Not as sweet as the other one, but a very inventive alien.

Thanks!

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #816 on: July 27, 2019, 07:53:18 AM »
Today's alien:

This one's a bit more Lovecraftian than the other one.  I approve.   :cool:
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Tom Wood

« Reply #817 on: July 27, 2019, 08:01:35 AM »
Neil DeGrasse Tyson has a few rants about how badly designed we are. Like, placing our breathing in a place where we can easily choke to death on our food. But his most fun observation is about our crotch: It's like building an amusement park in a sewer!

Not sure why this came to mind, so, carry on!

Maggie Ann

« Reply #818 on: July 27, 2019, 10:44:00 AM »
Neil DeGrasse Tyson has a few rants about how badly designed we are. Like, placing our breathing in a place where we can easily choke to death on our food. But his most fun observation is about our crotch: It's like building an amusement park in a sewer!

Not sure why this came to mind, so, carry on!

Thanks so much for that visual. I'm not sure I want to visit those nightmares I'll be having tonight.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #819 on: July 27, 2019, 03:33:53 PM »
But his most fun observation is about our crotch: It's like building an amusement park in a sewer!

That's an old engineering joke.  I first heard it back in the 90s, and I'm sure it's much older than that.  It goes like this:

Four engineers were sitting around one day trying to figure out what kind of Engineer God is.

The first engineer says "I think God is a Mechanical Engineer, because of joints and muscle and sense of balance." The other three nod there heads and say "Yeah, could be."

The second engineer says "I think God is an Electrical Engineer, because of the nervous system and neural network." The other three nod there heads and say "Yeah, could be."

The third engineer says "I think God is a Chemical Engineer, because of hormonal balances and metabolism." The other three nod there heads and say "Yeah, could be."

The fourth engineer snaps his fingers and shouts out "I know, God MUST be a Civil Engineer!"

The other three ask "Why?"

"Well" says the fourth engineer, "who else would put a waste water drainage right through a prime recreational area?"
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Maggie Ann

« Reply #820 on: July 28, 2019, 11:04:20 AM »
Thanks, Jeff. Now I remember the joke.

Managed to squeeze out 129 words. Hope to do much better tomorrow.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #821 on: July 29, 2019, 04:30:30 AM »
No writing, but I did update two covers. 

And I have a question...if my book gets up to #1 in a free category on Amazon, does that make me a BestGiving author?  :hehe

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D

diisha392

« Reply #822 on: July 29, 2019, 07:06:44 AM »
Haven't written for almost three weeks (decided to simply focus on the traveling) but am back with new ideas :)

Wrote 150 words on a short story so far today.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #823 on: July 29, 2019, 10:09:29 AM »
A good 1572 words today. Up to about 28K now.

And I have a question...if my book gets up to #1 in a free category on Amazon, does that make me a BestGiving author?  :hehe

You're entitled to that honorific. I've never even made it to #1 in Free.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #824 on: July 29, 2019, 10:46:24 AM »
No words yesterday on the lame space opera due to a missing hard drive issue.

Wrote 240 words today in it.  Working better with the character changes I made.

Yesterday, I wrote 63 words on the regular space opera which barely qualifies me for this thread.  LOL.  Wrote 338 words today so far.  Finally nearing the end of a chapter I've spent way too long on.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #825 on: July 29, 2019, 04:19:40 PM »

Only made it to #9 in espionage so far, but thought I'd ask. :angel:

Maggie Ann

« Reply #826 on: July 29, 2019, 11:33:44 PM »

Only made it to #9 in espionage so far, but thought I'd ask. :angel:

I think anything in the top ten works just fine. Maybe even the top hundred since Zon uses that number when listing both paid and free.

diisha392

« Reply #827 on: July 30, 2019, 11:59:19 AM »
166 words today

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #828 on: July 31, 2019, 02:40:46 AM »
For the lame space opera, I wrote 215 words yesterday.

For the regular space opera, I wrote 502 words yesterday.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #829 on: July 31, 2019, 06:56:11 AM »
For today, 220 words written for the lame space opera and 21 words so far for the regular space opera.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #830 on: July 31, 2019, 10:14:00 AM »
For today, 220 words written for the lame space opera and 21 words so far for the regular space opera.

I keep wondering if you're going to put "Lame Space Opera" as the title.  :hehe

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #831 on: July 31, 2019, 10:23:46 AM »

It was originally going to be Dan's Lame Space Opera but now it's [super secret title] a.k.a. Dan's Lame Space Opera.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #832 on: July 31, 2019, 10:42:11 AM »

It was originally going to be Dan's Lame Space Opera but now it's [super secret title] a.k.a. Dan's Lame Space Opera.

Better run it by Lulu.  :dog1:

diisha392

« Reply #833 on: August 01, 2019, 12:01:24 PM »
294 words today

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #834 on: August 01, 2019, 12:31:16 PM »
I wrote 115 words today for the lame space opera.  Woohoo.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #835 on: August 02, 2019, 07:38:29 AM »
Going to switch gears this month and focus on getting the regular space opera finished.  I started it on August 1st of 2016 with the plan of writing 5,000 words a day and finishing it in 10 days.  :icon_rofl:  It's been three years now, so I probably ought to finish the thing.

My starting word count is 66,246 words.  I'm thinking maybe 90k when done.  But, maybe longer because it doesn't feel like it is two-thirds of the way finished.  But, I am fairly certain it will not be 250k+ words like the fantasy epic.  LOL.

With the fantasy epic, I averaged about 1,700 words per day for the last month I worked on it.  Last month, working on the lame space opera, I wrote 26,825 words which is an average of 865.32 words per day.  If I can get back up to at least 1k a day, I can get the regular space opera almost to the 100k mark.

So that will be this month's goal.

Will work on the lame space opera when I feel like it.  LOL.

So, for today so far, 0 words written for the lame space opera and 664 words written for the regular space opera.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, diisha392

diisha392

« Reply #836 on: August 03, 2019, 07:15:08 AM »
600 words yesterday, 212 today to put the short story over 2K.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 07:28:54 AM by diisha392 »

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #837 on: August 03, 2019, 07:20:09 AM »
Wrote 1,059 words yesterday and 57 words so far today.

shrouded1

« Reply #838 on: August 04, 2019, 09:31:23 AM »
I've really been in a slump, but I got 117 words done today.  :icon_rolleyes:

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, diisha392

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #839 on: August 04, 2019, 09:42:50 AM »
I only wound up with 500 words yesterday and today, so far, I am at five.

Main issue is that I am a bit stuck.  That is, I know how the characters get out of their current situation and the characters have a vague idea of how to get out of it, but I need to figure out a convincing way for them to figure it out without it seeming like they randomly unlocked the puzzle.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #840 on: August 04, 2019, 12:21:34 PM »
You'll get there, Dan! :tap

I had a similar problem with my series but finally, came up with a solution. :cheers

diisha392

« Reply #841 on: August 04, 2019, 01:31:32 PM »
68 words (and ran a 5K)!

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #842 on: August 04, 2019, 03:34:49 PM »
Only 250 words written yesterday.

You'll get there, Dan! :tap

I had a similar problem with my series but finally, came up with a solution. :cheers

Thanks.  Hopefully I'll figure out something soon.  I'm already thinking of detours for them to wind up on after they get out of their current situation and I worry if I don't get them out soon, so many other detour ideas will pile up that they'll never get back to the main plot.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #843 on: August 05, 2019, 06:38:16 AM »
I may have jumped the gun with today's wordage (1132). I've got to stop moving ahead so fast.  :writethink:

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Post-Crisis D, diisha392

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #844 on: August 05, 2019, 07:16:24 AM »
I may have jumped the gun with today's wordage (1132). I've got to stop moving ahead so fast.  :writethink:

Take the highs whenever you can.  Helps balance out those days you struggle to get any words down.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Maggie Ann

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #845 on: August 05, 2019, 07:46:38 AM »
Not a word count update but a new sketch I did earlier today:

His mouth is right near his stomach for convenience.  Also means he doesn't have to worry about choking on his food because his nose holes are nowhere near his stomach intake orifice.  Makes wearing standard-issue uniforms problematic though.

If I could actually draw, I would do a comic book with some of these characters.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #846 on: August 05, 2019, 09:08:57 AM »

His mouth is right near his stomach for convenience.  Also means he doesn't have to worry about choking on his food because his nose holes are nowhere near his stomach intake orifice.  Makes wearing standard-issue uniforms problematic though.

If I could actually draw, I would do a comic book with some of these characters.

Maybe, try it anyway?  The drawings are unique and your fans might enjoy it!  :cheers

shrouded1

« Reply #847 on: August 05, 2019, 10:15:15 AM »
I made it up to 450 today  :banana: Just 10,000 to go to get this short story done.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #848 on: August 05, 2019, 10:35:07 AM »

The characters are great and you don't have to be Stan Lee to do comics just like we don't have to be James Patterson to write a thriller. I say go for it. These are wonderful drawings and you can put your own humorous stamp on the story.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #849 on: August 05, 2019, 10:35:43 AM »
I made it up to 450 today  :banana: Just 10,000 to go to get this short story done.
:tup3b

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, shrouded1