Author Topic: Is there any downside to updating my Amazon Categories?  (Read 2147 times)

Wonder

Is there any downside to updating my Amazon Categories?
« on: October 24, 2018, 05:02:58 AM »
Hi.

I've been rethinking my categories for a particular series, but I'm wondering if there are any reasons why I shouldn't update my categories. For example: does your book get rank-stripped if you change categories?

Any insights appreciated.  Thanks.

Wonder

YouMeWe

Re: Is there any downside to updating my Amazon Categories?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 11:26:12 PM »
The answer depends on 'where you're at with where you are.'

I'm no expert, but here's my 2 cents.

If you are in a big category and ranking high (in the good sense: low, low numbers) way to go you. Congrats! Stay right there.

If you are in a big category and ranking bad, you need to narrow your focus and get the hell out of there. Find a smaller pool so you can come up for air.

The bonus is you have two dashboard categories to play with - and options to drill deeper within each of them. Don't forget, some categories can also be accessed via your keyword choices.

AND the even bigger bonus is you can simply ask the mighty Zon to add you to other categories. I'm pretty sure you can have a maximum of ten categories in total.

Of course, you'll no longer rank for any categories you leave, so be clear of your objectives. If you want more visibility, choose a smaller/less competitive pool. If you're smashing your current cats and looking for growth, time to dip your toes in a bigger pool.

I don't know of any downsides to changing, but choose carefully and make them relevant to the audience or you'll create your own downside in the form of poor customer reviews.  Good luck. May the force be with you!

Pleez scoose n e errers, eyes lerrnin diktashun.

The following users thanked this post: Wonder

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 11:26:16 AM »
I've been rethinking my categories for a particular series, but I'm wondering if there are any reasons why I shouldn't update my categories. For example: does your book get rank-stripped if you change categories?

Any insights appreciated.  Thanks.

Nothing happens except the core categories change. How that effects ranks depends on what you change to what.

For example, if you are using Fantasy keywords, and remove a fantasy category, the keywords will turn off, and your book will no longer be seen in any fantasy category. More or less the same for Sci-fi too. The major category is needed to turn on the keywords.

Category change just shifts where the book is visible. That's all. Get it wrong, and you lose a lot of visibility. Get it right and you gain a lot. Amazon dont care, as long as the book fits where you put it, and a lot of the time dont seem to care at all.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: Wonder

Wonder

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 02:39:01 PM »
Thanks to both of you! This is exactly the information I was looking for.

I have one category that makes sense and is performing well, and a second that I think is too broad and not correctly targeted. Based upon what you've said, I think it's worth changing that second category.

:cheers  Much appreciated.

YouMeWe

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 09:19:11 PM »
Thanks to both of you! This is exactly the information I was looking for.

I have one category that makes sense and is performing well, and a second that I think is too broad and not correctly targeted. Based upon what you've said, I think it's worth changing that second category.

:cheers  Much appreciated.

My pleasure. Let us know how you get on.
Pleez scoose n e errers, eyes lerrnin diktashun.