Author Topic: Reader Magnet As Perma-free?  (Read 1378 times)

The Masked Scrivener

Reader Magnet As Perma-free?
« on: February 19, 2020, 04:56:41 AM »
I have a series on KPD Select and I'm happy with KU at this point in my career. I also have a reader magnet that I give away in return for collecting email addresses.

My question is does it make any sense to release that reader magnet on other store fronts as a perma-free?

I understand I won't get email addresses from those "purchases" but it could help me reach audiences outside Amazon. Would those audiences be willing to come to Amazon for my other books?

Thank you in advance for any input.

The following users thanked this post: Second Dawn

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
Re: Reader Magnet As Perma-free?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 05:21:25 AM »
Some people drift from store to store, but it's my impression most stick with one. The non-Amazon to Amazon shift is a particularly tough one because Amazon uses an entirely different format. Personally, I like having all my books in the same format and easily available on one device.

For that reason, if I were you, I wouldn't waste my time making the reader magnet permafree unless you eventually plan to have other books wide.

Like you, I'm happy with KU, but I do have my reader magnets up wide (including Amazon), and I have one series wide as well. However, that series hasn't prospered, so I can't say it was a great strategy for me. However, there is the argument that it's nice to have a presence outside Amazon, and certainly some people have made it work.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

The following users thanked this post: The Masked Scrivener

The Masked Scrivener

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 05:46:10 AM »
Ultimately I would like to go wide. For now I need to grow my catalog and sticking to KDP just makes life simpler for now.

Thanks for your comment. It always feels good to know I'm not the only one struggling with these kind of problems.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 08:29:28 AM »
Ultimately I would like to go wide. For now I need to grow my catalog and sticking to KDP just makes life simpler for now.

Thanks for your comment. It always feels good to know I'm not the only one struggling with these kind of problems.
Ah, far from the only one! Even people with much more experience than you and I have struggle sometimes because conditions change so fast.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Pyram King

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 04:57:21 AM »
I have a series on KPD Select and I'm happy with KU at this point in my career. I also have a reader magnet that I give away in return for collecting email addresses.

My question is does it make any sense to release that reader magnet on other store fronts as a perma-free?

I understand I won't get email addresses from those "purchases" but it could help me reach audiences outside Amazon. Would those audiences be willing to come to Amazon for my other books?

Thank you in advance for any input.

As a newbie, my advice is from what I have read and applying some reason and logic.

I see a "reader magnet" as serving one of two purposes.

1. To capture email address and build your fan list. (if that is the case - then it would be wise NOT to put it on Amazon or anywhere for free)
2. To drive sales into a series (if this is the case, a prequel or lead-in story - then it would seem like a good idea to put it on Amazon perma free and market it as the story the started it all - leading into sales into the series).

I was reading a article about reader magnet and this author seems to think it is important to build his list and help drive his sales.
Here is his website: https://www.shaynejsilvers.com/
States a million subscribers - and in the article he keeps them up to date on new books, stories, and info.

hope that helps.