Author Topic: Formatting Children's Books  (Read 727 times)

Maggie Ann

Formatting Children's Books
« on: February 14, 2021, 09:15:37 AM »
My friend asked me to help you with a children's book she's written. It's only 13 pages so I'm assuming it's for very young readers.

I plan on proofing it tonight and I need to know about formatting. Double space? Block style? I want to get it right for her and any tips will be appreciated.

Vijaya

Re: Formatting Children's Books
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 01:47:37 AM »
Maggie, if it's for kids to read by themselves you want to make sure the font (it should be easy to read. I like Georgia for it's roundedness) is large enough (16 pt) for them to use finger tracking. Esp. important for emergent readers, who are 5-6 yrs old. By age 7 many are reading well on their own (I drop it down to 14 pts) and it's amazing how the reading ability levels out around age 8 to 9 even if the child learned to read later then his or her peers. I don't double space. 1.3 to 1.5 is enough to separate from one line to another.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist

Maggie Ann

Re: Formatting Children's Books
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 05:33:57 AM »
Maggie, if it's for kids to read by themselves you want to make sure the font (it should be easy to read. I like Georgia for it's roundedness) is large enough (16 pt) for them to use finger tracking. Esp. important for emergent readers, who are 5-6 yrs old. By age 7 many are reading well on their own (I drop it down to 14 pts) and it's amazing how the reading ability levels out around age 8 to 9 even if the child learned to read later then his or her peers. I don't double space. 1.3 to 1.5 is enough to separate from one line to another.

Thanks, Vijaya. Very helpful information.