Author Topic: The Garden Thread that two people wanted  (Read 70162 times)

notthatamanda

Re: The Garden Thread that two people wanted
« Reply #450 on: March 22, 2021, 09:18:49 AM »
Not sure if this is garden or not, but one of my maple trees gave me 2 gallons of sap in 24 hours. That was unexpected. No freezing temps in the next 10 day forecast so sap is probably close to done. I think it will be a good year, but I was partially boiling whenever I got any since December, so I don't have any idea how much syrup we will end up with.

Edit - some more seeds are sprouting including the cilantro. Bunnies will be happy.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 01:35:11 AM by notthatamanda »

idontknowyet

« Reply #451 on: March 26, 2021, 09:29:13 AM »
My potatoes are sending up shoots.

Wow do broc produce an amazing amount of seeds. I'm going to have enough for decades from just one plant.

Got 6 eggplants in today. Had eggs delivered so i can plant my tomatoes tomorrow. Going to put the squash in tomorrow or the next day.

Still need to turn the dirt over for sweet potatoes corn and watermelon.

LilyBLily

« Reply #452 on: March 27, 2021, 12:22:41 PM »
We have a zillion daffodils blooming. Also crocuses, scillas, hyacinths, the very first grape hyacinths, and tons of blue-and-pink pulmonarias. The pulmonarias seem impervious to drought or rain and--best of all--the deer leave them alone. Spring has officially sprung.

I have a couple dozen tomato seedlings on a windowsill and nowhere outside with enough sun for their future except the deck--which is rather small and thus not suitable for two dozen pots even if I had the patience to water them individually. It's way too soon to put them outside, so I have some time to come up with a solution.

notthatamanda

« Reply #453 on: March 27, 2021, 11:00:58 PM »
Tulips are coming up here and possible two peony shoots so far. Salvia is too. My neighbor gave me some heirloom tomato seeds - brandy wine. Sweet potatoes are doing nothing on the windowsill. Ditto for the regular potato I'm trying to start in the cupboard. One of the lilacs I transplanted in the fall is budding, one is not. So far I'm keeping up with the tomato seedlings, but I can't put them out till mid to late May so I've got plenty of time to screw it up.

idontknowyet

« Reply #454 on: March 29, 2021, 09:05:45 AM »
Tulips are coming up here and possible two peony shoots so far. Salvia is too. My neighbor gave me some heirloom tomato seeds - brandy wine. Sweet potatoes are doing nothing on the windowsill. Ditto for the regular potato I'm trying to start in the cupboard. One of the lilacs I transplanted in the fall is budding, one is not. So far I'm keeping up with the tomato seedlings, but I can't put them out till mid to late May so I've got plenty of time to screw it up.
Regular potatoes take weeks and weeks to eye. You need to keep them in a semi warm location. The cooler the less likely they are to eye.

notthatamanda

« Reply #455 on: March 29, 2021, 12:04:50 PM »
Hmm...I cut one up and planted it outside so once it gets warm it gets warm. If I keep the tomatoes going I won't have to buy flats of those and I can spend the tomato money on seed potatoes, if they don't run out of stock really fast like they did last year.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #456 on: March 30, 2021, 03:18:00 AM »
While I was busy taking a pic of the monkey eating bird seed, another one sneaked into my kitchen and had a go at my bananas.  :icon_rolleyes:

Non-fiction, Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

notthatamanda

« Reply #457 on: March 30, 2021, 03:34:18 AM »
Oh lordie, we had baby raccoons in our bedroom at 2 in the morning. My friend had a duck come down her chimney and get stuck in her house. I don't think I could handle a monkey.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #458 on: March 30, 2021, 04:55:55 AM »
If the banana had this guy, he could have made his escape!

:banana-riding-llama-smiley-em

My neighbor trapped 32 raccoons over a period of a few months.  He took them out west to vacant land and released them.

notthatamanda

« Reply #459 on: March 30, 2021, 05:10:18 AM »
It's a long story but the end of it is my husband trapped lots of squirrels in our attic. He'd take them down to this huge plot of town land. One times the cops came down the dirt road to see what he was doing. What he was doing was swearing mightily at the squirrel who wouldn't leave the have a heart trap.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #460 on: March 30, 2021, 05:39:13 AM »
Oh lordie, we had baby raccoons in our bedroom at 2 in the morning. My friend had a duck come down her chimney and get stuck in her house. I don't think I could handle a monkey.

We haven't got chimneys, but I've found frogs in my dog's water bowl in the kitchen, a land crab strolled in one night, doves have wandered in looking for food and also had snakes on the veranda (harmless ones). But the monkeys are the sneakiest. My fault for leaving the burglar gate open.  :icon_rolleyes:

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #461 on: March 30, 2021, 06:24:33 AM »
I don't think I could handle a monkey.

Yeah, same here.  Non-human primates give me the willies.  I saw the baboons in South Africa up close and personal, and that was enough for me, thanks.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Vijaya

« Reply #462 on: March 30, 2021, 07:10:34 AM »

Gosh, Amanda. Baby raccoons are adorable. But destructive too. We've gotten squirrels and rats out of attic/roof spaces. But I love monkeys and dreamed of having a pet monkey as a kid. And in my PB, Little Thief, I get to live my childhood dream. See:

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

notthatamanda

« Reply #463 on: March 30, 2021, 11:08:13 AM »
Nope, don't like raccoons. My friend's pappy chased off one that was probably rabid with a rake. Another friend got bit by one and had to get rabies shots.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #464 on: April 02, 2021, 07:41:01 AM »
Desert Rose (Adenium) seeds came in the mail yesterday. Very specific instructions and they said there were a lot of videos on youtube.

Spent quite a while looking at several videos and decided to split the seeds up utilizing two methods. Sand method and paper towel method. Seems they grow well in sand. But all the videos said to use fungicide liberally. Luckily, I have some but not the powder they recommend. We'll see.

One video said that not one seed germinated bought from Amazon. That's why I'm trying two methods.

If the seeds don't germinate in a week, both HD and Lowe's have the plants. The videos I watched had instructions for removing the seeds from the mature plants.

notthatamanda

« Reply #465 on: April 03, 2021, 07:38:53 AM »
Ginger I planted finally popped up a shoot!
And it snowed a little bit today. So not getting anything outside anytime soon.

LilyBLily

« Reply #466 on: April 03, 2021, 12:28:48 PM »
This little cold snap we're having is giving some of the flowers a hard time; I expect to see nipped hyacinths tomorrow and I'm wondering if the pathetic lilac, which never has more than a few blooms, will lose them to frost. Most of our spring garden consists of daffodils; they'll be fine.

At least one large field of peaches was in full bloom yesterday down the road a bit; I wonder if the orchardists do anything (does anyone do smudge pots anymore?) to protect them? It's supposed to go into the twenties tonight. This may be winter's last gasp.

idontknowyet

« Reply #467 on: April 04, 2021, 01:11:08 PM »
Hmm...I cut one up and planted it outside so once it gets warm it gets warm. If I keep the tomatoes going I won't have to buy flats of those and I can spend the tomato money on seed potatoes, if they don't run out of stock really fast like they did last year.
Did you cure it after  you cut it? If you didn't its probably rotting in the ground.

idontknowyet

« Reply #468 on: April 04, 2021, 01:16:30 PM »
Put my final bed of regular potatoes in today. All I have left is sweet potatoes but its still a bit too cold here still.

Dug up the only potatoes that I didn't manage to kill over the winter. Note to self cover the plant when it gets below freezing. They look perfect. Can't wait for this bunch to be ready in June-July!

My overwintered pepper plant already has 4 fully grown peppers on it and a dozen more babies peppers on it. This is my new favorite thing ever. Also had a eggplant that didnt grow all winter but is now gigantic. Have a half dozen or more little eggplants on it already. Going to plant a dozen in containers next fall.

LilyBLily

« Reply #469 on: April 04, 2021, 02:03:55 PM »
The amaryllis I have in a pot (maybe this is its third year?) looks ready to bloom. Very long dormant period--I don't think it bloomed at all last year--but now there's a lot of action, new greenery and a definite flower bud. I think it has red and white stripes. Could take weeks to bloom.

notthatamanda

« Reply #470 on: April 05, 2021, 11:58:12 PM »
Did you cure it after  you cut it? If you didn't its probably rotting in the ground.
If by cure you mean dry it out for a couple of days on a plate, I didn't. It wasn't the most well thought out plan. But I have one in the cupboard in a ziploc bag and a wet paper towel that seems to be sprouting. And one of my sweet potatoes is too! The other one has tons of roots growing in the water. I'm not sure I can grow sweet potatoes up here, but I'll stick it in the ground in May and see what happens.

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet

LilyBLily

« Reply #471 on: April 06, 2021, 12:34:45 AM »
Orange Kaufman tulips popped this morning. It's going to be so warm today they might be blown by evening.

notthatamanda

« Reply #472 on: April 06, 2021, 01:04:37 AM »
I googled but couldn't find them. Do they go by another name?

I emptied most of the earth machine into the garden and covered it up. It's a month and a half at least until I can plant so it should be really good once it's time. Found one big fat worm who is destined to become a legend in worm folklore. Biggest feast ever.

notthatamanda

« Reply #473 on: April 12, 2021, 02:08:19 AM »
Last big boil on the maple sap today. Down to nine quarts of partially boiled sap.

Peonies started poking up on Friday and thanks to an almost 80 degree yesterday they are six inches tall now.

Planted some peas Friday and the soil was like dust. Got the underground soaker hose running for five minutes this morning and will try to remember to keep doing every day if we don't get some rain. Rain barrels are set up. It's going to still be dipping below 40F this week.

LilyBLily

« Reply #474 on: April 12, 2021, 11:50:50 AM »
It was lovely outside today after the rain went away and before a huge wind blew in. I didn't get much done out there but the bumblebees and other bees were happy.

To my chagrin, it appears that the white lilac has overpowered the blue lilac. We're about to get substantial bloom for the first time ever--but all white. I didn't buy this lilac; a neighbor gave it to me. It had both blue and white at first but has never bloomed well before. I guess the white was too busy conquering the blue.

The early daffodils are all gone but the mid-late ones are opening and looking great, along with anemone blanda, multiple versions of grape hyacinths, Jan Bos hyacinths, and money plant. Creeping phlox is just opening. I'm seeing pips of lily-of-the-valley (a deer favorite) and baptisia.

My paltry collection of tulips is blooming, mostly Princess Irene, the Kaufman, two Angelique, and two Queen of the Night. It's a paltry collection because voles eat the bulbs in winter.

Our woods has about half a dozen native dogwoods and one very nice native redbud that blew in one day and took years to bloom. The deer liked to eat the lower leaves but now can't reach any. They're still eating the native mountain laurel, unfortunately, which historically was not on their list; I'm told drought drove them to it.

notthatamanda

« Reply #475 on: April 12, 2021, 12:30:44 PM »
I don't know if you want to move the lilac but I had better luck moving lilacs in the fall than in the spring. I should have two blooming on either side of my front door now. The spot they were in wasn't really good for them.

LilyBLily

« Reply #476 on: April 13, 2021, 12:29:03 AM »
I don't know if you want to move the lilac but I had better luck moving lilacs in the fall than in the spring. I should have two blooming on either side of my front door now. The spot they were in wasn't really good for them.

Way too big to move. I have some tiny lilacs elsewhere that aren't doing much of anything that I probably should move, and I hear that an application of manure is much welcomed by lilacs, but most of my property is bone dry, rocky, and shady, so the question is where to put them. Along the driveway sounds nice in theory but the rose of Sharon there haven't done anything for lack of water; rose of Sharon is a super grower in better surroundings.

notthatamanda

« Reply #477 on: April 13, 2021, 12:38:31 AM »
Oh, I didn't move the big ones, just some shoots coming off the sides that were only a couple of feet tall. The one I moved a year and a half ago bloomed last year so that was fun. The big ones are kind of my lilac harvesting patch now as I try to think of more places to move the shoots. I have a tough time with stuff by the road too, the town plows it all up so the dahlias go there and I'm thinking of throwing some potatoes out there too.

In other news we got rain last night! I don't know how much but the driveway was still wet this morning.

Mark Gardner

« Reply #478 on: April 16, 2021, 12:32:04 AM »
We had an issue with some sort of infestation in our faux plumb tree. It didn't bud or leaf this spring.

We cut it down last weekend, and turned the stump into a birdbath.

Aubrey is in training to join the garden gnome guild.

notthatamanda

« Reply #479 on: April 16, 2021, 12:58:10 AM »
Oh she's so cute.

It's going to snow here tonight so the blooming azalea bush will have flowers and snow on it.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #480 on: April 16, 2021, 02:06:27 AM »
Decided to give my strelitzia some TLC and it rewarded me with lots of new flower shoots. Unfortunately the flowers and buds seem to be a delicacy for the monkeys  :icon_rolleyes: Goodbye to a few new shoots

notthatamanda

« Reply #481 on: April 16, 2021, 02:51:54 AM »
I wonder if spraying Lily's garlic powder/egg white mix on them would help you or if the monkeys like garlic.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #482 on: April 16, 2021, 03:06:12 AM »
I wonder if spraying Lily's garlic powder/egg white mix on them would help you or if the monkeys like garlic.

Utilizing hot peppers might be more effective.

The Only Mammals Reckless Enough to Eat Hot Peppers Are Humans and Tree Shrews
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

LilyBLily

« Reply #483 on: April 16, 2021, 04:02:52 AM »
I think I have some cayenne red pepper left over from someone who used to put it on pizza, but I'd have to grind it up or use a mortar and pestle. Still, could be doable. That's a hot pepper, right? I avoid all peppers except the red ones in manzanilla olives.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #484 on: April 16, 2021, 04:15:37 AM »
Cayenne pepper should work.  It's generally considered hot.  I may be partially desensitized to it by now.  Also good for blood circulation.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #485 on: April 16, 2021, 04:32:12 AM »

I prefer to think that our consumption of hot peppers isn't an indicator of recklessness but rather of enlightenment and sophistication.   :icon_mrgreen:

Vijaya

« Reply #486 on: April 16, 2021, 05:08:39 AM »

I prefer to think that our consumption of hot peppers isn't an indicator of recklessness but rather of enlightenment and sophistication.   :icon_mrgreen:

Yeah! It helps with migraine too.

If you want something stronger, try ghost peppers. We made hot sauce! It's wicked HOT!

Vijaya

« Reply #487 on: April 16, 2021, 05:09:56 AM »

Aubrey is in training to join the garden gnome guild.

What a CUTIE! I like your birthbath too.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #488 on: April 16, 2021, 05:59:20 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion re the monkeys  :icon_cool:. I think they are too clever to be fooled by peppers. Some of my neighbours are still trying to find a way to stop them upturning or taking the lids of the rubbish bins. The monkeys have worked out how to open the handles, and if you put a weight on the lid, like a brick, they just pull the bin over. One resident even put a chain and lock on his bin  Grin. My partner has now got a strap across his bin and it's hooked onto the handle. We'll see how that works. I keep my bin in the laundry so they can't get to it. I just put up with them as we have built on what was their land so we shouldn't complain. But they are rather noisy thundering across the roof and even louder when on the aluminium awning.  :icon_rolleyes: However, they can be cute, especially the younger ones when they play. But you have to watch the older males, who can be aggressive if you try to chase them. :eek:

notthatamanda

« Reply #489 on: April 16, 2021, 07:45:36 AM »
We have bear proof trash cans here. There's a marketing oppty it you can do something that is monkey proof.

LilyBLily

« Reply #490 on: April 16, 2021, 11:30:29 AM »
I'm always surprised that any neighbor puts out a trash bag that isn't in a can. There are bears nearby, and foxes, and raccoons. Bears could open our trash can; they're pretty smart. I don't think raccoons can because they aren't big enough to get the right grip.

With all the rain we've gotten lately it was easy to hammer bush/tree fertilizer spikes into the ground today but of course I ran out. I think the cost of using the spikes for all our evergreens would be prohibitive. What else can I use? We have Leyland Cypress (bad idea; deer eat them and rub against them), Green Giant Thujas, Azaleas, and a Pyracantha.

notthatamanda

« Reply #491 on: April 17, 2021, 06:12:46 AM »
Boiled the maple syrup down. Biggest yield ever, 1.5 quart. Snowed all day, accumulation was only a couple of inches but it was very heavy stuff.

LilyBLily

« Reply #492 on: April 17, 2021, 07:46:05 AM »
Huge cold winds. I forced myself to go out and dig up whatever garlic mustard I could find sicne that invasive non-native has thousands of seeds. My cold ears do not thank me.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #493 on: April 27, 2021, 02:00:09 AM »
Waiting for this flower to open was like waiting for a balloon to pop  Grin. It's a darker shade of red than my other ones, and will open wider.  :cool:

notthatamanda

« Reply #494 on: April 27, 2021, 03:00:31 AM »
Kind of looks like a tulip on a cactus. Love the purple.

The lilac I thought didn't make it is greening up. Still waiting on the variegated willows. May have lost all of them to the drought last year.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #495 on: April 27, 2021, 05:19:45 AM »
Beautiful, Jan. Does the flower last more than a day?

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #496 on: April 27, 2021, 05:48:15 AM »
Beautiful, Jan. Does the flower last more than a day?

Yes. The bud takes quite a few days to open and gets bigger and bigger until it finally pops open. Then it opens quite wide and lasts a few more days. I'll try to remember to take another pic. I've got another plant that's just started to bud.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #497 on: April 27, 2021, 10:15:14 AM »
It was 76 degrees today with low humidity, a cloudless sky, and only the slightest of occasional breezes.  The holly tree is in bloom, and the pollen gatherers have been all over it.  The whole tree buzzes nonstop.  I love the smell of holly flowers, so I stood under the tree for a few minutes, inhaled the aroma, and let the droning of the bees and the pleasant weather lull me into a sort of zen-like state. 

It was as close to a perfect setting as it gets, and when I looked at the smooth, handsome bark of the tree dappled with sunlight filtered through the leaves, I couldn't help but think, "This is what Lothlorien would be like."

Maggie Ann

« Reply #498 on: April 27, 2021, 11:11:19 AM »
It was 76 degrees today with low humidity, a cloudless sky, and only the slightest of occasional breezes.  The holly tree is in bloom, and the pollen gatherers have been all over it.  The whole tree buzzes nonstop.  I love the smell of holly flowers, so I stood under the tree for a few minutes, inhaled the aroma, and let the droning of the bees and the pleasant weather lull me into a sort of zen-like state. 

It was as close to a perfect setting as it gets, and when I looked at the smooth, handsome bark of the tree dappled with sunlight filtered through the leaves, I couldn't help but think, "This is what Lothlorien would be like."

Lothlorien! Just got a tingle.

The following users thanked this post: Jeff Tanyard

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #499 on: April 27, 2021, 08:37:32 PM »
Waiting for this flower to open was like waiting for a balloon to pop  Grin. It's a darker shade of red than my other ones, and will open wider.  :cool:

The flower starts as a small bud and then swells like a balloon.