Author Topic: My characters rattled their brains  (Read 2561 times)

JRTomlin

My characters rattled their brains
« on: October 23, 2019, 11:47:19 AM »
I discovered that I had my characters shake their heads SIXTY-FIVE TIMES in this novel. Their brains must have been rattling like -- whatever it is that rattles. 🤦

I thought I had broken myself of that kind of nonsense. So no I am going through and looking at each one. A few will remain because people do sometimes shake their heads. But most will come out and yikes. 😲

The following users thanked this post: DrewMcGunn, VanessaC

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: My characters rattled their brains
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 12:12:50 PM »
Sometimes?

Actually spend a day recording when you shake your head or nod.

I do both a lot, but its an unconscious thing. But I am more aware of it now I write it.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 12:46:16 PM »
Sometimes?

Actually spend a day recording when you shake your head or nod.

I do both a lot, but its an unconscious thing. But I am more aware of it now I write it.

I do that just sitting in front of the screen.

LilyBLily

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 01:57:37 PM »
Nodding must go. Each character gets one nod per book. I hate descriptions. 

JRTomlin

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 02:14:02 PM »
I love descriptions just not of people nodding and shrugging page after page.  :doh:

I kept nods when they were actually agreeing to something. When it was a beat for some other purpose the nods are gone, either deleted or replaces with something less repetitive.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 02:19:07 PM »
I love descriptions just not of people nodding and shrugging page after page.  :doh:

I kept nods when they were actually agreeing to something. When it was a beat for some other purpose the nods are gone, either deleted or replaces with something less repetitive.

I need to use scratching their chin more.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

VanessaC

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 06:12:20 PM »
Yep, I've been guilty of this too. Nodding, shaking heads, looking, eyebrows lifting, and all the other basic moves.

I have other verbal tics in my writing that really annoy me when I notice them - for example, in the last book I had a lot of instances of "For a moment ..." Took nearly all of them out, and I'm banning that phrase from my current draft!

Genre: Fantasy

Maggie Ann

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 11:19:28 PM »
Yep, I've been guilty of this too. Nodding, shaking heads, looking, eyebrows lifting, and all the other basic moves.

I have other verbal tics in my writing that really annoy me when I notice them - for example, in the last book I had a lot of instances of "For a moment ..." Took nearly all of them out, and I'm banning that phrase from my current draft!

When I ask my grandson to do something, he always replies, "In a bit." Unfortunately, it's crept into my writing. I finally complained enough that he changed his response to, "At some point." I hope that doesn't take over from in a bit."

The following users thanked this post: VanessaC

JackT

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2019, 01:49:32 AM »
If it's any consolation, Agatha Christie uses "shook his/her head" in And Then There Were None twenty-three times so you're in good company!

The following users thanked this post: JRTomlin

DrewMcGunn

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2019, 10:21:02 AM »
I discovered that I had my characters shake their heads SIXTY-FIVE TIMES in this novel. Their brains must have been rattling like -- whatever it is that rattles. 🤦

I thought I had broken myself of that kind of nonsense. So no I am going through and looking at each one. A few will remain because people do sometimes shake their heads. But most will come out and yikes. 😲

I feel your pain. When I read my first couple of books and see how often my characters nod or shake their heads, I grimace and shake my head.

Now my characters nod and dip their heads, grimace, and steeple their fingers, scratch their chins, or twirl their mustaches (ok, not really the last one...that's way to Snidely Whiplash-ish)

Drew McGunn

The following users thanked this post: JRTomlin

JRTomlin

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2019, 02:01:40 PM »
I throw in shoved his hands through his hair. Grip his hair and pull. Cross his arms, run his hands over his face and a couple of others I can't think of at the moment. And then I actually cut unneeded beats that I put there just cuz.  :doh:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 02:06:56 PM by JRTomlin »

Tom Wood

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2019, 08:28:27 AM »
Ah, the joys of screenwriting. All that nodding, shaking, scratching, and other non-verbal communication is entirely the purview of the director. Wannabe screenwriters, however, positively litter their screenplays with the stuff.

AKA: wrylies
(He said, wryly)