Author Topic: When did Amazon start charging GST on ad invoices?  (Read 609 times)

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
When did Amazon start charging GST on ad invoices?
« on: February 04, 2021, 10:48:27 AM »
I just got my ad invoice for last month, with my totally useless attempt at a new ad. Expensive and pointless.

But when I looked at the invoice, I noticed they are charging 10% GST on it, in USD.

When did that start happening?

And is there anything on the ad site that tells you prices are exclusive of GST?
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

djmills

Re: When did Amazon start charging GST on ad invoices?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 09:22:18 AM »
From my Retired Accountant point of view, Amazon, and Google, and others, should have been charging Goods and Services Tax (GST) on all adverts from way back when GST came in, just like sales tax and vat. :-)

However, they (all advertising companies) have been getting away with not sending the gathered tax to Australian Tax Office (ATO) for many years. Hence the Enquiry/Royal Commission into the large off-shore companies avoiding tax. And the rest of the world watching how Australia handles fines, etc so the other countries can follow suit.

I remember when the ATO removed my Australian Business Number (ABN) for not sending them the GST on my royalties. I told them I was not selling, Amazon, B&N, Kobo, etc was collecting the GST, so talk to them about any GST on sales before I received royalties.

When ATO offered to reinstate my ABN I told them I did not need it. That was fun. :-)

Diane J Cornwell - Fiction
D J Mills - Non Fiction
Tift Publishing
Amazon