Author Topic: Is there a rule of thumb to figure Kindle Normalized Page Count?  (Read 3142 times)

idontknowyet

Is there a rule of thumb to figure out the pages of a book before it's published for KENP payouts. approximate of course
Words     pages
10k    =
20k    =
30k    =
40k    =
50k    =
60k    =
70k    =
80k    =
90k    =
100k  =
120k  =
130k  =
140k  =
 etc
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 08:37:07 AM by idontknowyet »

notthatamanda

Re: Is there a rule of thumb to figure Kindle Normalized Page Count?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 10:18:47 AM »
I did a quick google and came up with some links that claim to have a formula, but I can't vouch for them.  Mind if I ask, what the concern is?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 10:21:10 AM by notthatamanda »

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet

She-la-te-da

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 10:44:10 AM »
When this page thing started, some people tried to figure out how Amazon was coming up with the KENPC. What seems to work is to take the number of characters, not words (and excluding front matter) and divide by 1000. I've tried it several times, and it's always within a few pages of what Amazon gives me for KENPC.
I write various flavors of speculative fiction. This is my main pen name.

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet, Rosie Scott, bookworm

idontknowyet

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 01:02:53 PM »
Cool thank you.
Just wanted to get a guesstimate  of what my payout would be per book in ku for advertising planning.
Each book is going to be between 70-80k but ill count characters thank you :)

She-la-te-da

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 12:09:46 AM »
No problem. All that angst and crazy running around should be good for something. :D

Laughing Elephant

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 10:26:29 AM »
It also changes. They are currently on version 3.0.  As for royalties, it's around .45 to .50 per KENP read.

I think you're missing a few 000 -

$0.0045

She-la-te-da

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 11:17:21 AM »
It also changes. They are currently on version 3.0.  As for royalties, it's around .45 to .50 per KENP read.

How they're figuring the count for KENPC doesn't seem to have changed. And yeah, you're missing a couple of zeroes on the amount being paid. We could only dream of getting fifty cents a page!

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 07:12:24 AM »

How they're figuring the count for KENPC doesn't seem to have changed. And yeah, you're missing a couple of zeroes on the amount being paid. We could only dream of getting fifty cents a page!
Perhaps you didn't see his decimal point. He's saying half a cent, not fifty cents. (After a day of proofreading, I'm lucky if I can see capital letters, much less decimal points.)

The calculation has definitely changed in the past, though it may not have changed recently. (Remember the shift from 1.0 to 2.0.)

This is another area in which a little transparency would have gone a long way.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

shadcallister

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 07:21:11 AM »
Wordcount to KENP varies widely by book and is pretty hard to predict. A lot of people say it's about 200 words per KENP, but mine are more like 300 to 350. (I think your average characters-per-word might affect it.) But if you want to get in the general ballpark, you can divide wordcount by ~200 or so. Give or take like 50 pages depending on the book (it'll be farther off for longer books).

She-la-te-da

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2020, 12:35:44 AM »
Perhaps you didn't see his decimal point. He's saying half a cent, not fifty cents.

I saw it. It's still wrong. What we get is .0045, roughly, which is half a cent more or less (less, as I don't think we've gone over a half penny more than a couple of times). Those two zeroes make a difference.

As to shadcallister's comment, the reason different books with the same word count come out different for KENPC is that Amazon is almost certainly counting characters, which includes all spaces and enters. What they consider a page concerns what they give you for a page count on the book's page, but seems to have little to do with what used to be considered the words on a physical page.

Believe me, there were a lot of us on a certain group who were trying to figure out how the KENPC was figured, to see if we could maybe fudge a page or few out of a book. It came down to making more dollars out of the same book, without going too far over any perceived limits Amazon may have had. So, people fiddled with line spacing, font size, margins, and so on. At first, you could increase your KENPC by going a little larger on the font, or doing 1.5 spacing instead of single, or whatever. Amazon soon rebooted and stopped allowing that, or so they said. I've read there are some manipulating the CSS code to get past it still, but I'm not sure if it works, or ever did.

What was left was basically having more enter keys hit, i.e., shorter paragraphs, because they're counting characters with some sort of formula, and not just words per "page". At any rate, you still make more money by writing longer books. :)

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2020, 04:16:54 AM »
0.0045 dollars = 0.45 cents
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2020, 02:34:48 PM »

:icon_think: :dizzy

Don't think so.

0.01 is one cent. 0.005 is half a cent.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2020, 03:23:12 PM »

:icon_think: :dizzy

Don't think so.

0.01 is one cent. 0.005 is half a cent.

1.00 dollar = 100 cents
0.50 dollars = 50 cents
0.01 dollars = 1 cent
0.005 dollars = 0.5 cents
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: R. C., idontknowyet

lea_owens

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2020, 03:25:49 PM »

Yep. $0.0045 does equal 0.45c (which is a little under half a cent).

And Timothy's  '$0.01 is one cent' is correct (I added the $), and $0.005 is half a cent, so $0.0045 is just a tiny bit less than half a cent.

Everyone needs to have either the $ or the c to indicate what they mean. 0.01 means one cent if it is $0.01, and it is one hundredth of a cent if it is 0.01c

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D, idontknowyet

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2020, 03:32:00 PM »
1.00 dollar = 100 cents
0.50 dollars = 50 cents
0.01 dollars = 1 cent
0.005 dollars = 0.5 cents

:HB
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: R. C., idontknowyet