Author Topic: Looking for an interesting marketing idea...  (Read 615 times)

skeletor

Looking for an interesting marketing idea...
« on: September 01, 2023, 05:19:38 AM »
Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this, but here goes...

Suppose I wanted to write a short story as a marketing vehicle, loss-leader, etc. And to host it digitally, on a service where only those with a QR code or password would have access. Now, suppose that I want to have nice cards printed with the URL and QR/password on them, which I can use at events, etc.

Is there any service that does all of this? I feel like there is, and that it was somewhat popular a few years ago, but now I can't remember!

Any ideas?

EDIT: Ok, no sooner did I post this thread did it occur to me that Bookfunnel offers something like this! However, I haven't used Bookfunnel. Can anyone vouch for this particular feature? Any alternative services I should look at instead?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 05:22:55 AM by skeletor »

LilyBLily

Re: Looking for an interesting marketing idea...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2023, 07:39:36 AM »
I got a free QR code online from somewhere that I placed on a postcard printed by VistaPrint that links to my BookFunnel landing page for the novella.  I did not use a service, but it's not hard to get the elements organized. I believe you can get a short-term BookFunnel membership, although I do a yearly one.

I handed the postcard out at events, usually attached to a piece of chocolate if it was in a goody room and I wasn't there to actively sell myself. I'll be honest and say that most people I give the card to do not follow up.

In my opinion, aside from a free printed book, the absolute best freebie is a printed excerpt equivalent in length to an Amazon Look Inside. They read it and are hooked. However, these are not cheap at all, alas, and I have not felt I had the budget to do them.

The following users thanked this post: skeletor

Hopscotch

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2023, 08:32:14 AM »
...the absolute best freebie is a printed excerpt equivalent in length to an Amazon Look Inside. They read it and are hooked.

Ie, putting one-two-three Read Ahead equivalents in a KDP 24pg ppbk to hand out as a freebie?  Will Amazon allow duping that material?
. .

Fiction & pizza recipes @ stevenhardesty.com + nonfiction @ forgottenwarstories.com

alhawke

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2023, 08:50:16 AM »
OP, I give a free short story in exchange for readers subscribing to my newsletter. I've recruited many readers via Bookfunnel promos this way. In fact, in a month, I'm rotating the old short story out for a new one.

As far as QR code, it's easy to obtain software online that can link a code to your Bookfunnel book giveaway page. I have these QR codes on all my paperbacks. I see no reason why you can't print them on a snazzy card.

It's all possible and easy. The only thing for you to do is become a member of Bookfunnel, as LilyBLily said^^. Then just put all the elements together.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2023, 11:17:43 AM »
You could also send an email to Evan at StoryOrigin and ask him if his site can do what you want in the way that you want.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

skeletor

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2023, 01:29:45 PM »
Thanks, guys! I really appreciate the insights!

LilyBLily

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2023, 02:02:36 PM »
...the absolute best freebie is a printed excerpt equivalent in length to an Amazon Look Inside. They read it and are hooked.

Ie, putting one-two-three Read Ahead equivalents in a KDP 24pg ppbk to hand out as a freebie?  Will Amazon allow duping that material?

That's an interesting idea, but the ones I've seen have all been done through some printing company. Sometimes it's just one chapter of a book, with a cover. Still expensive per unit unless one has cheap access to printing.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2023, 01:29:29 AM »
:mhk9U91: My "day job" is printing and we ship all over the U.S.  Just saying . . .
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: RBC

hjmoritzo

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2023, 09:33:39 AM »
Kindlepreneur has a free qr code generator
Works really well, I use them in my print books.
https://kindlepreneur.com/qr-code-generator-for-authors/

skeletor

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2023, 10:52:10 AM »
Kindlepreneur has a free qr code generator
Works really well, I use them in my print books.
https://kindlepreneur.com/qr-code-generator-for-authors/

Whoa, nice! Thank you!

Crystal

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2023, 03:43:56 AM »
I think the easiest way to do this would be to host the story on an unlisted page on your website (with or without password access).

But, personally, I'd give away a BookFunnel code that anyone can access. Most people who take the code won't realize they could have gotten the story without it and you'll give away *more* copies, thus getting your content in the hands of more readers.

DmGuay

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2023, 09:15:32 PM »
Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this, but here goes...

Suppose I wanted to write a short story as a marketing vehicle, loss-leader, etc. And to host it digitally, on a service where only those with a QR code or password would have access. Now, suppose that I want to have nice cards printed with the URL and QR/password on them, which I can use at events, etc.

Is there any service that does all of this? I feel like there is, and that it was somewhat popular a few years ago, but now I can't remember!

Any ideas?

EDIT: Ok, no sooner did I post this thread did it occur to me that Bookfunnel offers something like this! However, I haven't used Bookfunnel. Can anyone vouch for this particular feature? Any alternative services I should look at instead?

Yes, you can do all of this with Bookfunnel!
You set up a download page, select no email collection. Bookfunnel gives you a short web link. Then you can use a free QR code creator to make the code for that link.
It's easy.

D.M. Guay | Web site

The following users thanked this post: skeletor, RBC