Author Topic: How often do you update your blurbs?  (Read 732 times)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • Just4kix Books
How often do you update your blurbs?
« on: January 27, 2024, 07:18:25 PM »
I came across a You Tube video where someone advocated updating blurbs every month. As blurbs are the most difficult part of a book to write that's not gonna happen with me  :icon_rolleyes:. Someone else suggested that a yearly update would be sufficient. After hearing this I was obliged to take a look at my blurbs and I did change a few, but also changed the formatting to bold, italic or increase the size of the font on others to make them more appealing.

Does anyone else do a regular blurb update?

Non-fiction, Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: How often do you update your blurbs?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2024, 07:36:33 PM »
No.

And I don't see the point either.

The only time I update the blurb is when the book gets updated with some goof fixes, and then I update the universe list while I'm doing it.

And since Amazon totally trashed most of the blurbs a couple of years ago when they changed the editor and it removed all the formatting off existing blurbs on the submission page, half the time that means a total blurb rebuild anyway.

Otherwise, I leave them alone.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2024, 08:03:38 PM »
No.

And I don't see the point either.

The only time I update the blurb is when the book gets updated with some goof fixes, and then I update the universe list while I'm doing it.

And since Amazon totally trashed most of the blurbs a couple of years ago when they changed the editor and it removed all the formatting off existing blurbs on the submission page, half the time that means a total blurb rebuild anyway.

Otherwise, I leave them alone.

It had been a while since I changed anything on my books and I did notice that you can now format within the blurb without cutting and pasting. The problem is that you can't preview the blurb to check that the spacing etc. is correct. I've been going back and forth with mine, waiting while it was in review and then going back and correcting the formatting.

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2024, 11:04:52 PM »
More on the drinking the kool-aid of AI being the end of civilization...

I have been using an AI to create example blurbs that I use a primers. I rework the AI output into my voice and correct the thematic flaws. The effort is helping write better blurbs.

R.C.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2024, 11:07:48 PM »

I have been using an AI to create example blurbs that I use a primers. I rework the AI output into my voice and correct the thematic flaws. The effort is helping write better blurbs.

What's an example of before and after?
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2024, 11:22:16 PM »

R.C.

That seems like an interesting plan. Haven't looked at AI. Do you put in your original blurb or do you have to use the whole book? Sorry about my ignorance of this new technology.  :icon_rolleyes:

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2024, 11:27:58 PM »

Here's a question though...

Are you ticking the yes box on the AI question for submission?

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2024, 12:32:21 AM »

Here's a question though...

Are you ticking the yes box on the AI question for submission?

Yes, but for another reason. I have not yet used the new blurbs. However, I have created a series of dystopian images for the interior of a P-A Short Story. After significant photoshop editing by me, I selected yes to the AI question. For those not familiar, selecting yes opens three options. I chose "Images - Extensively Modified."

Also, here in the USofA, the question is being litigated about the copyright ownership for "modified" AI content. The cover is original and under copywrite. I assume the interior images are in the legal gray area.

This is the front matter I added to the title page (centered, of course):

Cover Image
Zamajk Cover Art
www.zamajk.com

Interior Images
Created By: Image Creator
Edited By: R. C. Ducantlin, Ltd.

This is the book Death Hunts the Weak - If you want to read it, send me a DM and I will happily return to you a copy (Please specify your preference: PDF, ePub, Google Doc, DOCX).

R.C.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2024, 12:36:16 AM »
Yes, but for another reason. I have not yet used the new blurbs. However, I have created a series of dystopian images for the interior of a P-A Short Story. After significant photoshop editing by me, I selected yes to the AI question. For those not familiar, selecting yes opens three options. I chose "Images - Extensively Modified."

What are the other 2 options?

I've never picked yes, so never seen them. In fact, I had no idea there was anything behind that question.

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2024, 01:32:49 AM »

What are the other 2 options?

I've never picked yes, so never seen them. In fact, I had no idea there was anything behind that question.

Text, Images and Translations.

The choices under each are varients of:

One/Few - Minimal or no editing...
One/Few - Extensive editing...
Many/Entire Work - Minimal or no editing...
Many/Entire Work - Extensive editing...

R.C.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2024, 01:37:28 AM »
With regard to the original question, it's not clear to me why updating the blurbs on a regular basis would be desirable. Sure, if I saw a way to update one that would make it better, I'd do it. But that's far different from updating once a month (or even once a year) just for the sake of updating. A regular pattern like that seems likely to draw effort away from areas it's needed to areas where it really isn't. A good blurb should age well. Periodic rewriting reminds me of the old Lemon Pledge commercial in a reference to what other, non-Lemon Pledge polishes do. "I've been polishing the polish."

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

The following users thanked this post: LilyBLily

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2024, 01:45:18 AM »

What's the options under texts?

I would assume that checks for blurb or manuscript?

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2024, 02:53:04 AM »

What's the options under texts?

I would assume that checks for blurb or manuscript?

See above, Translations is the same as Text.  Blurb is text and far as I understand... Here is the definition from the help popup:

"We define AI-generated content as text, images, or translations created by an Artificial Intelligence-based tool.

You agree to adhere to our KDP Content Guidelines as part of the terms and conditions of your participation in the KDP self-publication and distribution program."

R.C.

Matthew

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2024, 03:06:33 AM »
I rarely update my blurbs. I spend a lot of time writing them before release and have others review them. It may be beneficial to update it until you maximize sales, though at some point you're just making it different, not better. The content of the book doesn't change, so I don't see the point in updating the blurb past the one year mark at all. My efforts are better focused on new works.

djmills

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2024, 07:31:50 AM »
I came across a You Tube video where someone advocated updating blurbs every month. As blurbs are the most difficult part of a book to write that's not gonna happen with me  :icon_rolleyes:. Someone else suggested that a yearly update would be sufficient. After hearing this I was obliged to take a look at my blurbs and I did change a few, but also changed the formatting to bold, italic or increase the size of the font on others to make them more appealing.

Does anyone else do a regular blurb update?
First, who was the You Tube video person? A writer? An editor? Has qualifications for Publishing? A best seller? Or Just a You Tube video person?

I would question why such a statement was made in the first place and if it related to their own books.

Then I would question the qualifications of the "Somebody else" who suggested once a year.

And I would probably not even look at my book blurbs.

I wonder if the "rewrite blurb statements" is a follow on from update your covers every 10 years to refresh the series or genre look. And the only time I would update my blurbs is if the blurbs actually needed updating when I was updating a cover image.

Then again, I only sell a few books each month, so maybe I should look at my blurbs and covers and take the time to update all of them.  :dizzy

Diane J Cornwell - Fiction
D J Mills - Non Fiction
Tift Publishing
Amazon

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2024, 08:05:43 AM »
I came across a You Tube video where someone advocated updating blurbs every month.

Frankly, that's just silly.  Does this YouTuber "coincidentally" offer a blurb-writing service?  Or does he recommend someone else's service from which he gets kickbacks?  Because those would be my knee-jerk assumptions.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

The following users thanked this post: PJ Post

writeway

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2024, 10:16:20 AM »
Hardly ever. I did redo some last year. I try to pick the best blurbs the first time because with a backlist of almost 200 books no way I have time to keep revisiting old books. I guess this person has just 3 books.  :icon_rolleyes: Sorry, but that Youtube person is ridiculous. Most authors don't have the time to do that and why are you (general you) messing with your blurbs that often? That can hurt your sales because the blurb you had before might be the better one. I swear it's like some folks would rather spend more time working on old books than new ones. Also, you gotta take into account how some individuals are. Some people have personalities and even mental disorders where they might have an OCD or things like that. Truthfully. Some people do this stuff obsessively because it's how they are wired. They obsess over everything and so can't let anything go. Then they wanna advise others to be like them. NO. Authors need to do their own thing and not worry about all this so-called advice especially if it makes no sense to you.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 10:23:21 AM by writeway »

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2024, 11:00:54 AM »
I came across a You Tube video

Can you post the link to the video please?

alhawke

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2024, 11:43:12 AM »
I like to write a blurb and then forget it. I don't want to spend the time endlessly redoing these things. I don't redo keywords either. I'm sure they help in sales--of course they do--but I rather finish it and then move on to other newer things.

The only stuff I update is my back matter for links to new books. Even with that, it's every few months.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2024, 12:24:04 PM »
Maybe we should replace our covers every month too.  :icon_think:
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2024, 12:30:36 PM »
You know what?  We should probably rewrite all our books every month as well.  Something written three months ago is already out of date.  Needs a refresh.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

LilyBLily

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2024, 01:17:42 PM »
I update some blurbs now and then; is that a vague enough answer?

I changed a blurb when I realized I had "buried the lede," when that book fit a particular popular trope, the "best friend's brother" trope. Okay, so I changed it. I doubt the new blurb sold an additional copy, since the book was the second in a series and Book 1 sells the series while poor neglected Book 2 never gets its own advertising. But I felt I had maximized the blurb's potential.

In other words, if you look at your blurb and think it's kinda flat and needs to be punched up or tied in to some popular trope, you're probably right to do it, but it may not matter as much as you think.

Skip two spaces between sentences, as Amazon likes to ignore one space and jam sentences together and that does make the blurb look unprofessional. Totally not our fault, but there it is.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2024, 01:39:56 PM »
I came across a You Tube video

Can you post the link to the video please?

Sorry, I can't. It was one of those instances when one thing leads to another and I can't even remember what I was looking for initially  :icon_rolleyes: It was a woman who was quoting someone else suggesting the once a month blurb rewrite and she felt this was too often and once a year was sufficient. That was all that stuck with me and I just wondered if this was a general thing that writers update their blurbs.  :confused: Perhaps 'if it ain't broke don't fix' applies here. But I must admit that looking at the blurbs with fresh eyes has encouraged me to make a few tweaks.

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2024, 11:15:09 PM »

What's an example of before and after?

I am still in the "working out the process" stage and I am not happy with the results.  In a few days I should have a real-world example for you.

Still a work in progress, I found a snippit that is an example of what is possible.

FROM

Immerse yourself in a desolate world, where survival and hope hang in the balance. Follow the mind of a survivor as he navigates a desolate future. Encounter intriguing characters and thought-provoking themes.

TO

Within this desolate wasteland, embark on a gripping journey through the mind of a true survivor. As he traverses this grim future, prepare to meet captivating characters and unravel profound themes that will leave you pondering long after the final page. Brace yourself for a mysterious odyssey that will challenge your every perception, reminding you of the indomitable spirit that lies within us all.

This eBook offers a thrilling adventure that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Discover the power of the human spirit in the face of devastation. Get your copy today and experience a world like no other.

ALSO - I like this sentence from another iteration.

Discover the power of the human spirit in the face of devastation.

R.C.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 11:31:31 PM by R. C. »

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2024, 11:24:37 PM »
I am still in the "working out the process" stage and I am not happy with the results.  In a few days I should have a real-world example for you.

:icon_rofl:

Doesn't that just sum it up completely?

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D, R. C.

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2024, 12:09:16 AM »

Doesn't that just sum it up completely?

Kindlepreneur's new AI seems to be something useful.  It turned THIS:

Death Hunts the Weak

Immerse yourself in a desolate world where survival and hope hang in the balance. Follow the mind of a survivor as he navigates a desperate future. Encounter intriguing characters and thought-provoking themes.

Within this desolate wasteland, embark on a gripping journey through the labyrinthine mind of a true survivor. As he traverses this grim future, prepare to meet captivating characters and unravel profound themes that will leave you pondering long after the final page. Brace yourself for a mysterious odyssey that will challenge your every perception, reminding you of the indomitable spirit that lies within us all.

With vivid storytelling and an exploration of humanity’s resilience, this eBook offers a thrilling adventure that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Discover the power of the human spirit in the face of devastation.

This eBook offers a thrilling adventure that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Discover the power of the human spirit in the face of devastation. Get your copy today and experience a world like no other.

INTO THIS:

Beneath the scorching sun and amidst the ruins of a decimated world, one man fights for survival. Follow his journey as he battles for hope in a desolate wasteland. Meet intriguing characters and unravel thought-provoking themes in this gripping tale.

But this is no ordinary survivor's story. As he navigates through the barren landscape and encounters challenges at every turn, the true strength of the human spirit is revealed. With vivid storytelling and a powerful exploration of humanity's resilience, this eBook offers an enthralling adventure that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

If you enjoyed books such as "The Road" or "The Hunger Games," you'll love "Death Hunts the Weak." Don't miss out on this thrilling odyssey. Purchase your copy now before the price changes.

WHICH I TURNED INTO (WIP):

Death Hunts the Weak

Man must battle for survival in a world destroyed by catastrophic events. Under a tormented sun, the ruins of the once-great civilization lay in shambles. The air is thick with dust, and the stench of death lingers in every corner.

Amidst the chaos and destruction, a man fights for his family’s lives. He is a survivor, hardened by the harsh realities of this new world. But beneath his tough exterior, he holds onto a glimmer of hope for a better tomorrow. With challenges at every turn, he realizes that the true enemy may not be the dangers of this post-apocalyptic world, but the darkness within himself.

If you enjoy the gripping storytelling and exploration of humanity’s resilience, “Death Hunts the Weak” is a must-read.

“The long death began three blocks from where my grandmother died. Life is no longer something to enjoy. Under the purple haze of night, we search for scraps. We survived, but we know we need to rebuild. Rebuild. Is it possible? We will do what is required to endure. Ending them is the only option if humans want to remain. Hope and Moira’s dreams are our guides. Life requires sacrifice and belief. I believe the blue sky of my childhood is trying to return. Death becomes hope when sacrifice is the only option.”

Experience the captivating journey of ‘Death Hunts the Weak,’ a gripping post-apocalyptic short story by R C Ducantlin.

P.S. Reviews are always appreciated.

#Readers #SciFiEnthusiasts

R.C.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 12:15:48 AM by R. C. »

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2024, 12:17:50 AM »
Purchase your copy now before the price changes.

That would get you into serious trouble.

So in this case, using the Bot version would be a serious problem.

If the bots are doing things like that on blurbs, then it could explain some of the 'why is my account banned?' questions on quora.

Just as a comment on all 3 - None of them entice me into the sample. Sorry.

All I got from them was harsh world and inner demon. Not going to get me reading.

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2024, 12:25:50 AM »
Purchase your copy now before the price changes.

That would get you into serious trouble.

So in this case, using the Bot version would be a serious problem.

If the bots are doing things like that on blurbs, then it could explain some of the 'why is my account banned?' questions on quora.

Just as a comment on all 3 - None of them entice me into the sample. Sorry.

All I got from them was harsh world and inner demon. Not going to get me reading.

I also recognised the issues with the content and would not use the sale text. Also, I took out the similar book recommendation.

"Similar book recommendation: If you enjoyed the gripping storytelling and exploration of humanity's resilience in "Death Hunts the Weak", then you must read "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy."

The tool is trying to be flexible and "not platform dependent."

Writing blurbs is challenge for me but I do not give up...

R.C.

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2024, 12:34:36 AM »
At the risk of being redundant and repetitive, from my WIP above, RookRaid gave me this:

In a world ravaged by catastrophe, a man embarks on a perilous journey to protect his family. The remnants of a once-great civilization lay in ruins, and all that’s left is a tormented sun and a merciless dust-filled air, accompanied by the lingering stench of death.

As chaos reigns and destruction runs rampant, our protagonist emerges as a survivor, battle-hardened by the unforgiving realities of this bleak new world. Yet, amidst the harsh exterior, he clings to a glimmer of hope, yearning for a better tomorrow.

With each passing hurdle, he discovers that the true adversary may not lie within the treacherous landscape of this post-apocalyptic era, but rather within the depths of his own soul.

For lovers of enthralling storytelling and the resilience of humanity, “Death Hunts the Weak” is an absolute necessity.

“This long descent into darkness began mere blocks from where my beloved grandmother took her final breath. Our existence is now devoid of joy, reduced to a relentless search for sustenance amidst the purple haze of night. We have survived, but mere survival is not enough. We must rebuild, reclaim what was lost. But is such a feat even possible?”

“Through unwavering determination, we will forge ahead. Should our species endure, we must exterminate the threats that lurk in the shadows. Our guides, Hope and Moira, fuel our dreams and aspirations. Sacrifices must be made, and unwavering faith must be our foundation. I dare to believe that the sky, once blue in my childhood, yearns to return.”

Witness the captivating odyssey within the pages of ‘Death Hunts the Weak,’ a post-apocalyptic masterpiece by the unparalleled R C Ducantlin.

P.S. As always, we sincerely cherish your insightful feedback.

R.C.

PJ Post

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2024, 02:04:33 AM »
AI is just another tool for the toolbox. And Amazon cares way more about sending readers outside the eco-system than they do about AI. The whole declaration thing is market research - and Amazon has already used it to move into the AI narration game, completely undercutting another corporate division - Audible. If you've noticed, they're not stopping anyone from publishing, no matter how much AI is being used.

AI is here to stay. Believe it. Don't believe it. Amazon doesn't care.

___

If you're writing commodity-bin-copy-and-paste fiction, which is 90%+ of KDP these days, then the OP's advice is worthwhile. It's about being noticed and the click-through. Readers will forget they even clicked on a book the month before, so if the blurb didn't grab them then, maybe the new one will. All of these written-to-market genre books are the same. That's the whole marketing strategy - be as exactly like everyone else as humanly possible (the KB Method) hoping that with enough AMS spends you'll rise to the top of the sponsor carousel.

By changing the blurb (and covers) the publisher gets multiple opportunities to excite a reader and get the click-through with the same IP.

If you're writing non-fungible books, then the blurb and cover should be updated, 1) as genre tastes change (once a decade maybe), and 2) as required by various marketing initiatives, which could be every few years or so, up to never.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2024, 03:39:52 AM »
Yes, exactly! Change covers and blurbs as needed, not on the basis of some arbitrary pattern.

Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2024, 06:25:06 PM »
Yes, exactly! Change covers and blurbs as needed, not on the basis of some arbitrary pattern.

I agree.

I had another look at one of my children's stories. Bheki and the Magic Light, which was originally published by Penguin so I didn't want to mess with their blurb  :icon_rolleyes:
However, it is now for sale worldwide so I added a subtitle and a tagline to make it more explanatory.

Bheki and the Magic Light - a bullied boy becomes a hero.

Tagline in bold and larger font.
Bheki is small for his age and is bullied by the bigger boys in his African village, but his magic light wins him friends and respect – until the light begins to fade.

New intro.
Bheki then embarks on a life-changing journey to bring power back to the magic light. Perfect for teaching children about science, other cultures, and self-worth.

Original blurb by Penguin.
The big day has arrived and Bheki’s house is flooded with electric light for the first time. He remembers the time, many years before, when his father gave him a light that really did seem to be magic. The torch brought him many friends and a new status in the kraal, until its beam began to fade. Bheki’s journey to bring power back to the magic light tested him to the limit but ended in magic of a different kind. It gave him a belief in himself.'

At the end of the story, Bheki explains how batteries work and how electricity is generated and brought into homes across the world.

My addition
If you watched Nelson Mandela's funeral service at Qunu you will recognise the similar rural setting in the story. (Nelson Mandela was also a herdboy) Bheki and the Magic Light was first published by Penguin Books SA.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2024, 06:14:07 AM »
Have to laugh.

Decided to try Freebooksy and where it asks for the book description you are threatened 'do not copy from Amazon'. All my carefully crafted blurb had to be changed and cut to 350 characters.  :icon_rolleyes:

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2024, 12:51:21 AM »
Yeah, a lot of the newsletter promotions have that attitude about blurbs. It can be annoying at times.