Author Topic: Flying naked vs AMS  (Read 192 times)

Hopscotch

Flying naked vs AMS
« on: March 10, 2024, 06:27:49 AM »
All right, I give up.  After another yr of dementing struggle w/AMS, I'll join the crowd walking away.  Can't make AMS work.  Barely earned back 60% of AMS costs.  Stuck w/AMS too long bc I'm a hardcore introvert and can't TikTok or fly naked coast-to-coast or do other extrovertish things to draw attention to my books.  For my fellow introverts out there, would appreciate any advice where start over?
. .

Fiction & pizza recipes @ stevenhardesty.com + nonfiction @ forgottenwarstories.com

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
Re: Flying naked vs AMS
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2024, 11:57:43 PM »
Sadly, I also don't have a good ROI on AMS ads, but I sell most of my books that way each month, so it will be a while before I drop it.

That said, BookFunnel sales promos typically have high conversion rates from clicks to sales, particularly for discounted books--assuming you find a promo that's a good fit. Some promos offer the opportunity to promote multiple books at once. You can also run your own if you don't find one that looks like a good genre and thematic fit, but in that case, you have to plan further ahead--allow at least a month to build sign-ups. If you're signing up for someone else's you can typically wait until a day before it goes live.

Though you can in theory join as many as you want, since you need to share each one with your list, it's hard to do more than about two per newsletter. (More than that, and your followers tend not to produce much in the way of clicks and make you look as if you aren't sharing much. Most promo sponsors accept the fact that newbies might just be starting lists and social media, so they don't expect much in terms of shares from them. But people do look at share rates for authors who have been around for a long time and start setting minimums. That's why it's better not to try to work too many promos at once.

I've been talking about this in the career thread, but Substack may offer another area that promotes visibility. It's free to use, though the fact that most people on there are understandably looking for paid subscribers makes it a little more difficult to interact. Still, there is a certain amount of free interaction that you can use to get people interested in you. If you care what other people are doing and respond in substantive ways (with meaningful comments, for example), they will do the same for you, and you will gradually become more visible to people in other networks. Properly used, Substack can become a revenue stream. But there are some NYT bestselling authors on there who seem to be using it to broaden their base, so it must be worth something for that.

Basically, it's like writer-specific social media. Notes, a recent addition that runs on top of it and is like Twitter, but without the length limits, is a way to meet and interact with others. Following people on Notes is a real thing, it's free, and commenting on someone else's Note makes you visible to their whole network. If someone likes your Note, it also becomes visible to their network.

Of course, the idea is to convert as many people as possible to subscribers (free or paid). I'm free right now until I have more traction. Even so, subscriptions come slowly at first. But it is something to look at as a possibility. Subscribers get all your posts delivered to their inboxes. They can also view them on the site.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

The following users thanked this post: Hopscotch

PJ Post

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2024, 01:46:07 AM »
Branding strategies using social media work every time. It's great for introverts! Oh, and it's free.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2024, 04:19:39 AM »
Branding strategies using social media work every time. It's great for introverts! Oh, and it's free.

And how are they working for you?
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

writeway

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2024, 07:52:19 AM »
I used AMS ads from 2017-2020. Haven't used a click ad service in four years and haven't looked back. Selling more books and making more money without them too. Click ads are not a necessity for selling books and many authors do just fine without them. There are many ways to get visibility than click ads. One of the best ways is passive marketing. Set things up to where your books sell FOR you without you having to actively push them all the time. You do this by utilizing the prime real estate in your books (front and back matter) to sell your backlist and link to other books especially if your books are connected by a series. Use Amazon's A+ Content and push backlist books on the pages of other books. Be as creative as you can and use any space you have access to plug an advertisement for your books. For example, at the bottom of my mailing list, I have a signature with the banner of one of my series to keep readers going there as well and I always push a backlist book when I send out an ML. Passive marketing has done more for me than click ads. I also have found more success promoting in the paid mailing lists like Fussy Librarian, Bookspry, etc.

I also do NO social media advertising anymore unless I pay a blog tour company and they do it but that's not regularly. I am not on TikTok, on IG but never did anything there, I no longer go to Twitter and I still visit FB but do no advertising there.

My advice, do what you want and not what you don't.  :cool: Don't compare yourself to others or let others' promotional plans make you think their way is the best, it's not. Everyone has to follow their path. , I think click ads are a racket that is fixed to bring the platform more money than it ever will bring authors. Even if they are working for you, you can bet AMS, FB, or whoever you use is making way more of your ads than you are. Anyone who doesn't believe that is fooling themselves. Businesses don't offer you ad platforms if they aren't making money and they should make money but I don't wanna pay Amazon to sell my books. Especially when the ads weren't working as well as they used to and I could save money and sell better in other ways.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 08:03:35 AM by writeway »

The following users thanked this post: Hopscotch