Author Topic: The CW Doing a Babylon 5 Reboot  (Read 3058 times)

Post-Crisis D

The CW Doing a Babylon 5 Reboot
« on: September 28, 2021, 07:24:58 AM »
:doh:

Bad enough that it's another reboot but add The CW to that and, oy, I cannot help but wonder how much of a disaster this is going to be.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: alyson, Cindy303

Eric Thomson

Re: The CW Doing a Babylon 5 Reboot
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 08:40:49 AM »
Considering the Hollywood hellmouth turns reboots into brain-damaged pap, we'll probably get Wokeylon 57.

The following users thanked this post: LBL

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 02:53:43 PM »
Upon seeing this thread title, I was immediately horrified.  So I went a-googling for more info:

https://www.space.com/babylon-5-reboot-in-development

This caught my eye:

Creator of the original show J. Michael Straczynski will write the project and act as executive producer under his Studio JMS banner.

Confirmation from JMS's twitter:

Not just producing, but writing.  Color me optimistic. 
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist, alyson, LBL

Pemry Janes

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 03:41:21 PM »
I'm actually skeptical. A show like this isn't just made by the writer/producer. It's also the actors and the channel and I just don't think they can recapture the magic of the original series. I wonder why they don't have JMS make something new and original?
Genre: Fantasy

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2021, 05:02:06 PM »
After giving it some more thought, here's a short little wish list of things I'd like to see from the reboot.

1.)  Keep the skeleton of the story the same.  Don't get crazy. 

2.)  Stick to the established races; they can't be significantly improved upon, and no additional ones are necessary.  If there's a need to "explore" more alien culture, then do it with the established minor races like the Pak'ma'ra or something.

3.)  Film in 8k and 16:9.  Should go without saying.

4.)  Keep the tone of the show epic and Shakespearean.  Don't dumb it down or adolescent-ize it for the lowest common denominator.

5.)  Don't go overboard with the cgi.  This will be a big temptation due to the vast improvements in the technology since the '90s, so it's important to keep that temptation in check.  Give us just enough.

6.)  Stretch out season four and pare down season five.

7.)  Change the conclusion of the Shadow War to something less anticlimactic.  Seriously; it was a big disappointment for me.

8.)  Have Garibaldi redeem himself in a more conclusive way.  I don't want him to just "survive and advance."  I want him to triumph over his challenges.

9.)  Ditch the whole Byron sub-plot.

10.)  Figure out how to merge Talia and Lyta into a single character.

Did I forget anything?  Help me out, folks.   :ices_angel_g:

I'm actually skeptical. A show like this isn't just made by the writer/producer. It's also the actors and the channel and I just don't think they can recapture the magic of the original series. I wonder why they don't have JMS make something new and original?

It's a valid concern.  Katsulas and Jurasik were a big part of what made that show what it was.

The following users thanked this post: alyson

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2021, 05:02:47 PM »
On the one hand, I've thought it would be interesting to see the story told as it was originally envisioned.  That is, to see it with Commander Sinclair from start to finish.  We know the story changed due to the actor's health issues, so Sheridan was added in.  And then "the One" became three: the one who was, the one who is and the one who will be.  From what I remember, B5 would have been destroyed and then they would steal B4 to replace it, which was why Zathras said the station was needed for a future war.  But when things changed, then Sinclair took B4 into the past instead.  Originally, Sinclair would have been a reincarnation of Valen, not a time traveler who became him.  So, it would have been interesting to see the story play out the way it was originally intended.

But, if what I've seen about the reboot is true, they are going with Sheridan from the get-go, so we're not even getting that.

Plus, it's hard to imagine anyone besides Andreas Katsulas playing G'Kar and delivering the speeches and lines he did.  Same goes for Delenn, Londo, Vir, etc.  It's hard to imagine anyone else in those roles.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

The following users thanked this post: alyson

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 05:11:29 PM »

The original season four was seasons four and five condensed because there was a good chance there wasn't going to be a season five.  But then there was.

7.)  Change the conclusion of the Shadow War to something less anticlimactic.  Seriously; it was a big disappointment for me.

I think that actually made sense.  JMS said the story was about "killing your parents."  Not literally, of course, but more along the lines of outgrowing the need to be parented.  So, it made sense that the end of the Shadow War would be less like a traditional war and more like sending them to a retirement home.

8.)  Have Garibaldi redeem himself in a more conclusive way.  I don't want him to just "survive and advance."  I want him to triumph over his challenges.

I think the original plan was that Garibaldi would be killed when B5 was destroyed by the Shadows, as shown in the B-Squared episode.

I think they originally were and split because of casting issues.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2021, 08:32:38 PM »
Did I forget anything?

Remove the Linear trying to kill Sheridan thing, and then running away.

The reality was, Sheridan had only 20 years, so all he had to do was wait for him to pass, then wait out the mourning period, and then be there when Delenn finally saw him.

The whole betrayal thing was so out of character, and so badly done.

The other thing was when they left B5 for the last time, with the 'new generation' taking over B5 shot, there was no Minbari ambassador there, and it should have been Linear.

The whole Minbari succession was botched because of the betrayal which didn't have to happen.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2021, 12:40:55 AM »

The following users thanked this post: Jeff Tanyard, Cindy303

Cindy303

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2021, 04:41:04 AM »
Considering what the CW did to charmed, I’m wary. I trust JMS to do a good job once more, and who knows, the network limitations that stopped him from completing his vision his way the first time around are all but gone now, but it should be on hbo max with a decent budget.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 05:01:42 AM by Cindy303 »

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2021, 02:31:33 PM »
Did I forget anything?

Remove the Linear trying to kill Sheridan thing, and then running away.

The reality was, Sheridan had only 20 years, so all he had to do was wait for him to pass, then wait out the mourning period, and then be there when Delenn finally saw him.

The whole betrayal thing was so out of character, and so badly done.

The other thing was when they left B5 for the last time, with the 'new generation' taking over B5 shot, there was no Minbari ambassador there, and it should have been Linear.

The whole Minbari succession was botched because of the betrayal which didn't have to happen.

I'm trying to remember this, but I'm drawing a blank.  I must have blocked it out.   :icon_rofl:

I agree that there are better ways to go than having Lennier flip his lid like that.

The original season four was seasons four and five condensed because there was a good chance there wasn't going to be a season five.  But then there was.

I know.  That's why I'd like to see that fixed in the new one.

I think that actually made sense.  JMS said the story was about "killing your parents."  Not literally, of course, but more along the lines of outgrowing the need to be parented.  So, it made sense that the end of the Shadow War would be less like a traditional war and more like sending them to a retirement home.

It made sense, but it was still anticlimactic.  The Shadow War is the main plot of the series, and you can't just let it fizzle out like that.  They should have ended it with an assault on Z'ha'dum and the utter destruction of that planet by the good guys.

I think the original plan was that Garibaldi would be killed when B5 was destroyed by the Shadows, as shown in the B-Squared episode.

That would have been preferable to his season four arc.  I'd still prefer he win his battles decisively, though.

I think they originally were and split because of casting issues.

That's correct.  Casting issues threw several monkeywrenches into the plot.  That's why I'd like to see what the plot was supposed to be without those problems.  JMS seems to be leaning in that direction, too, if I'm interpreting his tweets correctly.

I thought of one more thing for my wish list:

11.)  Bring back Danica McKellar as a Centauri woman.  Maybe she can play Emperor Turhan's wife Lady Morella.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2021, 02:42:13 PM »
The Shadow War is the main plot of the series, and you can't just let it fizzle out like that.  They should have ended it with an assault on Z'ha'dum and the utter destruction of that planet by the good guys.

I'd have preferred that too.

The whole dark forces thing in the final season didn't really work.

And the poisoning of Earth at the beginning of Crusade was proved to be a bad move, since the series got cancelled mid way through the first season, when it was supposed to be a 5 year plot.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

alyson

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2021, 12:13:35 PM »
Now Jonesing for a Babylon 5 rewatch....

If anyone knows where it might be streaming please let me know.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2021, 12:19:27 PM »

One of the reasons I still buy dvd's. Shows keep changing which streaming service they are on, so when you decide to re-binge, they are often not there on where-ever they were. Not ever getting a subscription to all of them.

One of the local streamers has a series which hasn't come out on dvd yet, but they only have seasons 1 and 3. What kind of insanity is that? I watched season 1, now waiting for the dvd's. The quality was terrible as well.

Buying dvd's has it sitting there when you want it, with none of this where is it streaming from now nonsense.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2021, 12:29:22 PM »
And the poisoning of Earth at the beginning of Crusade was proved to be a bad move, since the series got cancelled mid way through the first season, when it was supposed to be a 5 year plot.

The network screwing around with it was the problem.  As one example, I think it was the network that didn't like the uniforms and made them change them.  But the network also aired the shows out of order so they were wearing new uniforms before the in-universe explanation for why they had new uniforms.  And, like B5, it was a serialized story so airing episodes out of order was not good.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2021, 03:28:24 PM »
Now Jonesing for a Babylon 5 rewatch....

I think this is up to date:

https://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/babylon-5/1030005471/

PJ Post

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2021, 01:42:10 AM »
I'm predicting a good first season (lots of source material and great effects) and then...not so much (reimagining and updating for a modern audience).

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2021, 03:33:51 PM »
I'm predicting a good first season (lots of source material and great effects) and then...not so much (reimagining and updating for a modern audience).

I think the opposite is more likely: a rocky first season followed by much-improved second and third seasons as the show finds its groove.  Like the original B5, in other words.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2021, 04:53:35 PM »

I think the opposite is more likely: a rocky first season followed by much-improved second and third seasons as the show finds its groove.  Like the original B5, in other words.

The answer probably depends upon what level of involvement The CW takes.

PJ Post

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2021, 11:49:45 PM »

The answer probably depends upon what level of involvement The CW takes.

What level do they keep the profits on?

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2021, 11:50:32 AM »

They're going to let N'Grath handle all the money issues.   :icon_mrgreen:

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2021, 12:01:27 PM »

They're going to let N'Grath handle all the money issues.   :icon_mrgreen:

Their biggest problem will be that no one listens to Zathras.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2021, 12:03:37 PM »
Their biggest problem will be that no one listens to Zathras.

Zathras have very sad life.  Probably have very sad death.  But at least there is symmetry.

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D, sliderule

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2022, 02:53:55 AM »
Babylon 5 reboot now delayed until Fall 2023.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/62084557

She-la-te-da

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2023, 09:51:07 AM »
what level of involvement The CW takes

It's going to be teenagers, somehow abandoned and left in charge of everything, with  half of them geniuses and the other half moronic muscular people who hate geniuses.

They'll have to struggle to get along and survive a cruel, cruel world. With aliens.

And yes, I'm still not thrilled with The 100, or Charmed, or anything the CW does, pretty much. I'm sick of teen girl saves the world, because awesome despite lack of evidence of same.

Oh, forgot The Ark, Syffie's entry into the worst people possible end up saving the world. Or humanity. Or whatever.

Okay. I feel better now. :roll:
I write various flavors of speculative fiction. This is my main pen name.

The following users thanked this post: LBL

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2023, 05:20:18 PM »

It's going to be teenagers, somehow abandoned and left in charge of everything, with  half of them geniuses and the other half moronic muscular people who hate geniuses.

:icon_rofl:

I'm reminded of when Stargate SG-1 basically made the same commentary you just did but as self-parody.

The following users thanked this post: Lynn

Lynn

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2023, 01:50:56 PM »

:icon_rofl:

I'm reminded of when Stargate SG-1 basically made the same commentary you just did but as self-parody.

I feel so old when I start missing Stargate so much :D
Don't rush me.

The following users thanked this post: Jeff Tanyard

She-la-te-da

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2023, 10:17:38 PM »
Yeah, SG SG1 was great at making fun of itself. There was an episode when Jack was a teen (it's a long story if you don't know the show), basically himself and struggling to deal with life while still being Jack. Kind of what I imagine this B5 reboot being, all angst and hormones and ego. (The 100, I'm looking at you.)

Lord, I miss that show. I'm not really finding anything that's half as good as the older SF stuff, so hoping this new Babylon 5 won't disappoint.

PJ Post

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2023, 09:39:48 AM »

She-la-te-da

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2023, 10:04:30 PM »
Yeah, I'm liking Strange New Worlds, PJ. It's about the best thing I've seen in a long while. I enjoyed Picard, really loved the turn of the third season, and hate that it was the last. Discovery is ending as well, no new episodes until 2024.

I've started rewatching the original Babyon 5. Gosh, it seems so cheesy now. I remember it gets better, once the actors get into their roles (and maybe the writers upped their game, too). We'll see. :)

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2023, 10:13:34 PM »
No spoilers please.

BNW 1 and Picard 2 is all I've seen so far, and no idea yet when the next series will come out on DVD.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2023, 06:04:32 PM »
I've started rewatching the original Babyon 5. Gosh, it seems so cheesy now.

Some episodes, especially in the first season, haven't aged well.  They were cheesy and ham-fisted back then, and they're even more so now.

The cgi from the later seasons still looks remarkably good, though.  There was obvious and significant progress in this area over the course of the show.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2023, 12:05:14 AM »
It's true of TV in general that the older shows don't always hold up well today. I have enjoyed revisiting some old shows (Murder She Wrote, for instance). But I couldn't get all the way through a rewatch of the original Magnum PI, which I watched religiously when I was young. (The relationships never seemed to evolve. Perhaps watching multiple episodes at once made that more obvious.)

The original Star Trek still holds up well, despite the relatively primitive special effects. I think one of our problems today is that we're spoiled by hugely expensive special effects that, based on recent Hollywood blockbusters turning into budgetbusters, may not be sustainable. (Or maybe the recent movie bombs are a combination of superhero fatigue and bad creative and/or casting choices.)

It will be interesting to see what a Babylon 5 remake does. 

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2023, 12:56:31 AM »
The original Star Trek still holds up well, despite the relatively primitive special effects.

The effects seem better than some of Star Trek's contemporaries and, on TV sets of the era, probably looked better.  (And I'm referring to the originals not the made-over version that was done to make it look better on modern TVs.)  The writing was better too which, IMHO, makes it easier to overlook any issues with special effects.

When I've watched reruns of its contemporaries (like Lost in Space or Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea), it's a bit strange to consider these shows were made in the same time period because Star Trek seemed to have writing and production values that were maybe a decade or so ahead of the rest.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2023, 06:21:27 AM »
I agree totally. Lost in Space was cute, and I think most people of my generation will always remember the Robot's line, "Danger, Will Robinson, danger!" accompanied by the flailing around of mechanical limbs. But the robot design wasn't really very realistic. And the show's computers used magnetic tape for data storage, a medium current at the time but soon obsolete.

I don't remember where i read this, but apparently the Star Trek franchise was pretty good at anticipating future technological developments. Next Generation, for example, anticipated tablets like the ipad.

Oh, here's a nice list of technological predictions from the first two shows that came true, or close. https://www.slashgear.com/1276879/all-the-technology-star-trek-predicted-accurately

Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2023, 07:09:12 AM »
I don't remember where i read this, but apparently the Star Trek franchise was pretty good at anticipating future technological developments. Next Generation, for example, anticipated tablets like the ipad.

What I remember reading was how during TNG's run, they had to keep expanding on what the computers and other technology in the show were capable of because then-modern computers were catching up with what was depicted on the show as being far in the future.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2023, 01:33:51 AM »
Yeah, the pace of technological improvement keeps increasing, making it harder for sci-fi to keep ahead of sci-fact enough to make a credible future.

There lies one of the advantages of fantasy. The genre doesn't have to struggle to keep pace with real-world advances in magic.

She-la-te-da

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2023, 09:23:10 AM »
Timothy, I'll try to not do spoilers! But I may have to fall back on the Covid brain excuse, since it's not going away as quickly as I'd like. I'm slowly getting my energy back, but can't remember crap and the lower back ache is a total pain. Ha ha. I don't know why, but it seems to have acerbated an old childhood injury, and what was a dull ache mostly is now a stabbing pain if I stand more than a few minutes.

Anyway, I forgot what I was going to reply to, so bye. :D