Author Topic: Wattpad Launches Wattpad Books, a New Publishing Division  (Read 5971 times)

Demon_Lord

• Novella unlocked
  • FYI I often modify my post to correct typos.

The following users thanked this post: Bill Hiatt, Ros, Ghost5, PaulJWhite

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
Re: Wattpad Launches Wattpad Books, a New Publishing Division
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 02:03:05 AM »
Just sharing the news in case you guys didn't know.

https://company.wattpad.com/blog/2019/1/23/wattpad-launches-wattpad-books-a-new-publishing-division-to-bring-diverse-data-backed-stories-to-book-lovers-everywhere

And they also have a Wattpad Studios:
http://business.wattpad.com/studios/
This is an interesting new concept. Unfortunately, it sounds as if Wattpad picks stories that have done well on Wattpad. Copyright issues have always made me leary of posting there. It will be interesting to see how it goes, though.

Edit: Actually, Wattpad sounds as if it has reasonable copyright protection in place. I guess my concern is really more about how letting people read a book for free enough to get noticed by Wattpad Books might have on the eventual paying audience. We might be able to tell based on how Wattpad Books does with its first releases.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 02:36:29 AM by Bill Hiatt »

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 02:53:44 AM »
Here is another interesting article: https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/24/18195753/wattpad-books-launching-publishing-imprint-self

Apparently, at least one author has  already used Wattpad to launch books that became NYT bestsellers. Wattpad is also already partnered on a project with SyFy channel. Wattpad Studios is already sort of a thing.

Amazon dropped open submissions for Amazon Studios and closed the "reader-powered publishing" of the Kindle Scout program. Could Wattpad be a worthy successor? Using response on Wattpad and various algorithms to pick stories to send for consideration by human editors has merit. I wonder if it will end up working. If so, it could be a very good thing for us.

Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Tom Wood

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 03:03:50 AM »
My first impression of Wattpad is that it requires a lot of dedication to promoting your social presence there. Much like finding success on the big social media sites, you have to play the game of getting the attention of the other users before getting any marketable visibility yourself. Those types of popularity contests are subject to being manipulated and don't necessarily uncover the best content.

The following users thanked this post: ragdoll

A Fading Street

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 03:52:13 AM »
Looking at their 2019 list, I think diverse might be over egging the pudding slightly. 6 YA titles that all sound initially like they are pretty much the bog standard YA tropes. Nothing against YA but certainly not much diverse there at first reading. Possibly reflects their bulk readership rather than anything else. Given they have 500 million stories according to the website, the chances of being 1 of 6 are pretty remote indeed. Don't really see it being much of a game changer in the self-publishing world.
A Fading Street Publishing Services.
Ghostwriting all genres from $200 per 10000 words
Rewriting from $0.04 per word. Audio and Handwritten Transcription$0.003 per word.
Proofreading $0.002 per word, Copy Editing $0.005 per word. Ghostwriting from $200 per 10000 words.
SPECIAL PACKAGE RATE for Beta, Copy Edit, Final Proof  at $0.0055 per word.
My Writer Sanctum Thread click below
https://writersanctum.com/index.php?topic=41.0

The following users thanked this post: ragdoll, angela

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 05:52:40 AM »
Looking at their 2019 list, I think diverse might be over egging the pudding slightly. 6 YA titles that all sound initially like they are pretty much the bog standard YA tropes. Nothing against YA but certainly not much diverse there at first reading. Possibly reflects their bulk readership rather than anything else. Given they have 500 million stories according to the website, the chances of being 1 of 6 are pretty remote indeed. Don't really see it being much of a game changer in the self-publishing world.
It's too soon to tell much, but I don't, either. And as Tom says, a writer would have to invest time to get much of a reaction.

That said, we don't really know what their process is. One of the articles I read indicated that they have an algorithm that examines the actual writing. Who knows what it looks for or whether the piece has to get a certain number of reads before the algorithm even kicks in, but hypothetically, it could mean a piece getting kicked up to a human editor without having to necessarily be among the top viewed pieces. We don't really know what the size of the pool is, but my guess is it's not really all 500 million stories.

Wattpad could be a good vehicle for hobbyists who just want to get their writing out there for readers and aren't trying to launch a career. It could also be good for someone who absolutely, positively, wants a trad contract but doesn't want to hassle with an agent. Even before Wattpad books, there were at least six people who scored trad pub contracts based on Wattpad success. https://www.booktrust.org.uk/news-and-features/features/2017/october/from-writing-online-to-a-publishing-deal-six-wattpad-sensations/. Two of those successes also involved movie deals. Interestingly, they're all YA. I guess Wattpad realized they might be able to capitalize on that kind of success by channeling it through Wattpad Books and Wattpad Studio.

It's hard to name any platform that someone hasn't advocated as a way to big to the Big Time. I know people who attribute their success to Goodreads, Facebook, Reddit, and Wattpad. The reality is that the odds are pretty heavily against anyone becoming a success on any of those platforms. There are always a few people who make it work, though. Oops, here's another one: http://www.publishingtalk.eu/case-studies/emily-benet-wattpad-success-story/

The golden age of Hollywood used to be filled with stories about people being discovered by accident and becoming great stars. Really, very few of the stars were discovered that way, but the stories remained popular. I guess there is a romantic streak in all of us that wants to think we can get a lucky break.

Demon_Lord

• Novella unlocked
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 08:35:25 AM »
It would be a good idea to register any work before posting it over there.

And, yes, they borrowed a page or two from Amazon closed projects. But they had the advantage of being at this for a while, so now, they can use all that data to implement their new projects.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 02:54:55 AM »
It would be a good idea to register any work before posting it over there.

And, yes, they borrowed a page or two from Amazon closed projects. But they had the advantage of being at this for a while, so now, they can use all that data to implement their new projects.
I can't argue with that, though the copyright office seems to be take around a year to finish processing new registrations. It would also be hard for the chapter-a-week kind of authors.

As far as borrowing from Amazon is concerned, Wattpad might actually be interested in seeing more Wattpad authors launched professionally. Amazon was dong things like Kindle Scout to get authors to draw more people into the Amazon ecosystem. My guess is that that isn't what happened, which is why it stopped. (A lot of people were involved, but they could have been mostly people who were already Amazon customers.)

oganalp

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 05:04:31 AM »
They are also searching for employees aggressively for their Toronto office for the last few months. Now it makes sense.

Tiffmeister

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 08:48:43 AM »
Well, it's about time something like this happened. I've been on Wattpad for 4 years now. I've written an on-line book that has just passed 100k. In the old days that would be awesome. But now, you need millions of reads to get noticed. So, though I'm proud of my international following there, I'm still wondering what the factors are that determine whether you have a chance.

They have the Watties, but that is like 70,000 books. And I've entered my novel like 3 times now. Never made the lists on that. But, not sure what would happen with this new program. I've tried doing Wattpad parties and events with other authors, and that does get people looking at my profile and exposure. Their statistics show I have a following in Nigeria, India, the Philippines, and South Africa which I wouldn't normally have with just self-publishing in North America.

And to be honest, no traditional publisher will touch anything that you have up on on-line novel website. So, the only alternative for any project up there is to self-publish or maybe now this. So, it's nice to see they are doing it, but I just wonder how it all comes about. I'm guessing there will be a lot of people trying, and few actually published. Though it is making me hold off on considering to self publish that novel now.

"Saving My Heart" was born on Wattpad, and I like to support it there. It was a nice experience to write the contemporary romance, and it was an experiment in that genre for me since I mostly write paranormal romances. But hey, we'll have to see what happens. As long as I keep getting reads, the fact a 400k book is getting published gives me hope. Who knows, maybe I'll get scouted now.

Oh, to see what I'm talking about, and what being on Wattpad for 4 years now looks like, here is my Wattpad profile. Feel free to follow, etc.

https://www.wattpad.com/user/MarilynVix

:clap:

Pandorra

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 03:25:38 AM »
Looks to me like you have to make a big splash before they even consider your work... what's the point if you do all the work yourself anyway?

Dean Rencraft | Authors in Motion

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 07:20:03 AM »
I can't argue with that, though the copyright office seems to be take around a year to finish processing new registrations. It would also be hard for the chapter-a-week kind of authors.

The effective date of the copyright registration is when the copyright office has received the application form and all the necessary materials, and not when they process the registration.  So, if you submit an application today, pay for it and upload the digital file (assuming there is no printed version) today, your effective date of registration is today even if you don't receive the registration certificate until next January.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

WriteOn

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 10:52:57 AM »
Sadly, I wouldn't expect much here. Wattpad has a history of starting something, getting really excited about it, then having it crash and burn when they got bored. Then they move on to the next shiny object.

My prediction is that this will fall into the same category.

Unless you're Anna Todd (and I doubt she has much of relationship with Wattpad anymore) or some of their other select stars, you won't get anywhere with Wattpad.

And if you don't write YA, you have no chance of getting a contract. They've basically said it in their own forums.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2019, 01:58:37 AM »
Sadly, I wouldn't expect much here. Wattpad has a history of starting something, getting really excited about it, then having it crash and burn when they got bored. Then they move on to the next shiny object.

My prediction is that this will fall into the same category.

Unless you're Anna Todd (and I doubt she has much of relationship with Wattpad anymore) or some of their other select stars, you won't get anywhere with Wattpad.

And if you don't write YA, you have no chance of getting a contract. They've basically said it in their own forums.
I (the eternal optimist) think it's too soon to tell. The YA part probably says something about their demographics, and I could see that being true. On the other hand, people were already getting trad contracts based on how a book did on Wattpad. (Tiffmeister is right in general, but that rule doesn't hold if you have a novel that does really, really well.) All Wattpad is doing is looking for a way to get a piece of that pie.

Simple mathematics tells us the opportunity isn't going to be available for most people. But I'm going to wait and see how their first novels do and how many more get selected the following year. I'm also going to withhold judgment until I see what their contract terms are. (I'd do that with any publisher these days.)

I have no doubt the process will be really competitive, but the same is true of getting a trad contract in general, and it's somewhat true now even of self-publishing. For someone who is happy self-publishing, Wattpad Books probably isn't worth worrying about. For someone who really wants a trad contract, so far I'm seeing any harm in testing out Wattpad's process.

WriteOn

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2019, 03:16:06 AM »
What you should do is wait and see how the novels after the initial six do. Wattpad will be all over the first batch of six, marketing and such, but what they do with subsequent books will demonstrate their true dedication.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2019, 08:15:04 AM »
What you should do is wait and see how the novels after the initial six do. Wattpad will be all over the first batch of six, marketing and such, but what they do with subsequent books will demonstrate their true dedication.
That's a good point. Amazon in general did a lot more for the early Kindle Scout books than for the later ones.

Pandorra

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2019, 10:45:30 AM »
That's a good point. Amazon, in general, did a lot more for the early Kindle Scout books than for the later ones.

Except you didn't have to pay for scout, it had a reward system and it was well known through Amazon for its readers.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2019, 02:14:20 AM »
That's a good point. Amazon, in general, did a lot more for the early Kindle Scout books than for the later ones.

Except you didn't have to pay for scout, it had a reward system and it was well known through Amazon for its readers.
Did I miss something? Do you have to pay for Wattpad?

Perhaps I didn't state my point clearly. What I was getting at was that Amazon did a lot more for Scout-selected books early on than it did later. Based on what some of the authors involved said, promotion went downhill near the end. Kindle Press became more and more obviously the poor stepchild among the imprints. (This is a little like what WriteOn was saying about the way Wattpad launched programs and then lost interest in them.)

It's also worth noting that, although entering a book in Scout was free (just like publishing in KDP was free), the more and more competitive nature of the process was pushing people to spend money on advertising. Otherwise, the book would only get views at the very beginning and very end of the campaign. This problem was exacerbated when the Scout folks let slip the fact that, although views and votes didn't determine the final selection, a book needed to hit a certain minimums to be a finalist (get actual editorial review). Then there was the weird case of someone who got the rejection email while the campaign was still running--evidence that a big burst of interest at the end by itself probably wouldn't help because the Scout folks were actually making choices before the end. Stats skyrocketed as people tried to do everything they could to get their book noticed as much as possible throughout the campaign. There were a few books that still achieved a decent level without advertising, but it was clear which way the norm was moving. And that's probably what Amazon wanted. I think the purpose was to draw more people into the Amazon ecosystem.

Of course, there were fewer people involved in Scout than on Wattpad, though I'm sure every single person on Wattpad isn't going to be trying for a book contract. But the way one would gets noticed for a book contract looks similar to what KS became. That's not really a criticism of Scout or Wattpad--it's just the way things will inevitably work with an open submission process. Editors will need some way to winnow down the prospective candidates to a manageable number. In the two cases we're talking about, the winnowing takes the form of what amounts to a popularity contest. In both cases, it's going to take significant time and/or money to make the cut.

Amazon closed that door with a resounding thud for whatever reason. Wattpad may or may not do the same thing.

Being an eternal optimist, I would have kept entering Scout even knowing what I know now. A chance is better than no chance.

Will I try for a Wattpad contract? Since I'm not already part of that ecosystem, I think I'm going to see how the process goes before jumping in. I will mention in passing, however, that some authors got contracts through Wattpad exposure before Wattpad books. Making a big enough splash in Wattpad (if it could be done without making the author insane or bankrupt) might still accomplish that. In that respect, too, it's a little like Scout. It's not that publishers were gathering around to pick up popular Scout rejects, but in my experience, the program made a spectacular launch platform. My first Scout reject was my bestselling book so far, particularly during its new release period. The fact that the Scout process exposed it to thousands of eyes that would have never seen it was part of that success. In the same way, Wattpad might produce benefits other than selection by Wattpad Books. I'm going to wait and see.

Pandorra

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2019, 02:52:58 AM »
Scout was going out just as I was coming in, but the fact that you had to go against other authors who had the money to pay for advertising on a scale I couldn't even contemplate yet and that I was so new and still learning the ropes, I didn't bother trying to put my books in.

As far as I can tell with wattpad, they want 88.00 a year... I didn't delve too deep beyond that, maybe it's a different program... but when I tried to sign up at the first link they asked for the money and I closed it out...

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2019, 05:08:49 AM »
Scout was going out just as I was coming in, but the fact that you had to go against other authors who had the money to pay for advertising on a scale I couldn't even contemplate yet and that I was so new and still learning the ropes, I didn't bother trying to put my books in.

As far as I can tell with wattpad, they want 88.00 a year... I didn't delve too deep beyond that, maybe it's a different program... but when I tried to sign up at the first link they asked for the money and I closed it out...
Interesting. I created an account without being asked for money. I just tried creating a story and wasn't asked for money, either. Maybe it is a different program, as you suggested.

From what I understand, when Scout first started, it was much easier to get decent stats without having a social media army and/or a big ad budget. Also, some people who had neither got selected for publication. The time/money costs gradually escalated. As I said, I fear that's inevitable in any open process: the winnowing mechanism will always be something that has to be primed with lots of resources. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for people to start advertising their latest Wattpad offerings on Facebook and Twitter. Then will come companies offering to create custom campaigns.

Oh, I just found what you may have been looking at. It's a program to keep your listing in a database looked at by people in the film industry. https://www.wattpadwriters.com/t/taleflick/5329

Pandorra

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2019, 06:41:21 AM »
The wattpad link for that was the first linked by the OP, so yes, that's the one. I'll try the other and see what I can find.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2019, 07:35:58 AM »
I just put the first part of my spy story up.  Thank you for the links!  :goodpost:

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

The following users thanked this post: lyndabelle

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2019, 02:27:00 AM »
I just put the first part of my spy story up.  Thank you for the links!  :goodpost:
Let us know how it goes!

Demon_Lord

• Novella unlocked
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2019, 02:40:39 AM »

Remember to take screenshots of your story being posted in there, and if you can, make a pdf file of each page by using the print function in your browser. Just to keep a record of you having published it first. Just in case you ever need evidence of it. Best of luck.

I'm editing this to add, that I had a bad experience about ten years ago, because I posted some of my stories online. Some authors, including a famous one, borrowed whole scenes from my work and published them as part of their own novels. I had to let it go, because I didn't document from the start that I had published those scenes first, and where. And I didn't register the copyright because I couldn't afford it at the time. And of course, I couldn't afford a lawyer. So, I learned the hard way to take precautions and document my work as much as I can. Yes, we own the copyright as soon as we create the work, but that doesn't prevent thieves from stealing what they think is an idea that is out there for their use.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 02:50:44 AM by Demon_Lord »

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Ghost5

Demon_Lord

• Novella unlocked
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2019, 02:43:54 AM »
Guys, that TaleFlick thing, it's not part of Wattpad, the information is posted on their 'community' aka forums, but it's unrelated to them.
This is the TaleFlick website https://taleflick.com/

WriteOn

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2019, 08:45:01 AM »

Remember to take screenshots of your story being posted in there, and if you can, make a pdf file of each page by using the print function in your browser. Just to keep a record of you having published it first. Just in case you ever need evidence of it. Best of luck.

I'm editing this to add, that I had a bad experience about ten years ago, because I posted some of my stories online. Some authors, including a famous one, borrowed whole scenes from my work and published them as part of their own novels. I had to let it go, because I didn't document from the start that I had published those scenes first, and where. And I didn't register the copyright because I couldn't afford it at the time. And of course, I couldn't afford a lawyer. So, I learned the hard way to take precautions and document my work as much as I can. Yes, we own the copyright as soon as we create the work, but that doesn't prevent thieves from stealing what they think is an idea that is out there for their use.

Wattpad also timestamps it. Hover your cursor over "completed" or "ongoing" on the details page and it will tell you when the book was first published. Someone I know had something stolen and posted on Amazon. They provided that to Amazon and it was sufficient for Amazon to remove it.

Demon_Lord

• Novella unlocked
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2019, 12:09:50 PM »

Wattpad also timestamps it. Hover your cursor over "completed" or "ongoing" on the details page and it will tell you when the book was first published. Someone I know had something stolen and posted on Amazon. They provided that to Amazon and it was sufficient for Amazon to remove it.

That's good to know. But we still should keep our own off line evidence. For instance, if we decide to take a complete story down from Wattpad to publish it on KDP/KU, and it turns out that someone had already publish it on Amazon, or on another publishing venue. It's good to have screenshots, even if it's time consuming. 

The following users thanked this post: Tiffmeister

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2019, 02:33:27 AM »

That's good to know. But we still should keep our own off line evidence. For instance, if we decide to take a complete story down from Wattpad to publish it on KDP/KU, and it turns out that someone had already publish it on Amazon, or on another publishing venue. It's good to have screenshots, even if it's time consuming.
And it's really not all that time-consuming (unless someone is posting a huge volume of stories).

Demon_Lord

• Novella unlocked
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2019, 12:03:42 PM »
And it's really not all that time-consuming (unless someone is posting a huge volume of stories).

I took a look, and it might take time because they have the stories in frames insides frames, and there is not print function. So, one must screenshot the parts of the screen visible, one at the time.

Pandorra

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2019, 12:08:01 PM »
I just made sure whatever I put up is already published.. works for me..

Demon_Lord

• Novella unlocked
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2019, 02:21:46 PM »

Yes, publishing on other places it certainly works with complete works, but what about the WIP?

Anyway, it was just a reminder of keeping track of what we post online.

Pandorra

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2019, 09:50:14 PM »

Yes, publishing on other places it certainly works with complete works, but what about the WIP?

I very rarely publish or post anything from my WIP, that's just asking for trouble. Even if nobody flat out steals your work, they may read enough to influence their own writing so you end up with two similar pieces. Ironically, most ppl don't see anything wrong with that and they can even get territorial because they don't realize that's what they've done. I work really hard at making sure I am not bringing what I am currently reading into my work just for that reason.

Demon_Lord

• Novella unlocked
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2019, 04:51:25 AM »

I very rarely publish or post anything from my WIP, that's just asking for trouble. Even if nobody flat out steals your work, they may read enough to influence their own writing so you end up with two similar pieces. Ironically, most ppl don't see anything wrong with that and they can even get territorial because they don't realize that's what they've done. I work really hard at making sure I am not bringing what I am currently reading into my work just for that reason.

You're right. I learned that the hard way. Well, I was young and I'd never heard of Smashword and KDP, which were the only self-publishing options back then. The only good thing out of publishing stuff online was that the positive feedback motivated me to keep writing.

Tiffmeister

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2019, 03:37:30 PM »

I keep copies of all my work on Wattpad. In fact, some of the stories, I continue working on, and the first draft is what is on Wattpad. The novel "Saving My Heart" has a few revisions that I've gone through from the first draft that is on Wattpad.