Author Topic: The Garden Thread that two people wanted  (Read 72337 times)

LilyBLily

Re: The Garden Thread that two people wanted
« Reply #100 on: June 03, 2020, 11:44:26 AM »
I did something dire to my ride-on mower. Maybe. Might have actually killed it. I'll know tomorrow if I can't start it at all with help from a charger. Luckily I have a self-propelling small mower so the grass--what little there is--can't get ahead of me if I have to wait a long time for a repair visit.

More dire is the return of invading Japanese stiltgrass. I put down a lot of Preen this spring to stop it, but apparently three entire huge buckets were not enough. I can't see myself hand weeding the thousands of little weeds, but if I don't they'll destroy everything in their path. It's bad enough that I'm overrun with garlic mustard and bush honeysuckle.

I should just give up.

On the bright side, orange-red poppies are blooming, a white phlox cultivar is looking very lush, and I've identified some green seedlings in one spot as gallardia I'd seeded last year, not weeds. And the bachelor buttons seedlings I put out are looking as if they will survive the transplantation. 

Paw paws (not a papaya as Americans know them) grow wild in the woods in the Washington, DC area. They were George Washington's favorite dessert. Every spring there are paw paw festivals, but the supply is extremely limited. Intrepid foragers do not tell their friends where they have located a tree. I think it's worse than the "Don't tell/won't tell" behavior of serious mushroom foragers. I don't do either but a family member does and knows lots of those types. 

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet

idontknowyet

« Reply #101 on: June 04, 2020, 01:58:14 AM »
I couldn't find green beans so I got purple and yellow. Which means they are Laker beans. Not sure my husband will eat them mixed together.
:icon_rofl:

notthatamanda

« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2020, 03:36:13 AM »
I got an orchid at BJs. $10. It reminds me of my purple splash rose, which is about to blast open with tons of flowers. We got some rain last night so I didn't have to water and there is some in the rain barrel now for tomorrow.

LilyBLily

« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2020, 04:15:47 AM »
I'm still staying out of stores and intend to until at least mid-month, but I'm fairly sure I can get into enough trouble outside on the property without buying new plants. :hehe

Happily the mower started up without a problem today so I've dodged that bullet. I've only had this mower about ten years, and I think I ought to be able to get another ten out of it. Then, instead of buying a new one, it'll be time to move to that cute little white-picket-fence retirement cottage where at last I will have enough sunshine to grow roses and dahlias and marigolds again. And there will be actual dirt. Dream on, right? Grin

notthatamanda

« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2020, 04:57:10 AM »
Oh that reminds me, one of the four dahlia's I planted poked up finally. We had some 40 degree nights so hopefully the rest were just a little timid and will join them soon.

Edit - went to the hardware store and they did not have the garage floor paint so I got a four pack of eggplant instead. I'm not sure I can talk anyone else into eating eggplant. Send eggplant recipes that freeze well, please and thank you.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 05:28:45 AM by notthatamanda »

idontknowyet

« Reply #105 on: June 05, 2020, 08:46:04 AM »
Oh that reminds me, one of the four dahlia's I planted poked up finally. We had some 40 degree nights so hopefully the rest were just a little timid and will join them soon.

Edit - went to the hardware store and they did not have the garage floor paint so I got a four pack of eggplant instead. I'm not sure I can talk anyone else into eating eggplant. Send eggplant recipes that freeze well, please and thank you.
Not healthy but eggplant parm freezes amazingly well.
But with 4 plants how will you have any to freeze. In my family can eat dozens. A little olive oil garlic caramelized onions and eggplant sauted put over pasta is about the best meal ever. Add a few blistered tomatoes and you'll never want to eat anything else.

notthatamanda

« Reply #106 on: June 05, 2020, 10:30:37 AM »
Well as of right now I'm the only one who eats them, but maybe I'll get them to try it.

idontknowyet

« Reply #107 on: June 05, 2020, 03:18:12 PM »
Pick the eggplant smaller. They will be sweeter and you wont have to treat for the bitter taste at all.

LilyBLily

« Reply #108 on: June 05, 2020, 10:04:06 PM »
I re-sprayed with vinegar yesterday just in case, but it did seem as if the weeds were unhappy already. Then it poured for hours so who knows if the new vinegar was sufficiently absorbed before the deluge? The big patch I put very noxious poison on last week looks unhappy, but still green. I found a bit more poison ivy to deal with; neighboring properties have a lot of the stuff and so reinfection is constant.

The first coreopsis opened. The purple lupine is blooming, too. What a struggle to get just one plant happy enough to have more than one flower on it. Various other unnamed perennials are up and about to burst, all of them taller here that they would be if growing in full sun. My garden becomes a mini-meadow by July, everything waist high.

notthatamanda

« Reply #109 on: June 05, 2020, 11:41:04 PM »
Everything is pink.  Ebb tide is supposed to be purple, but it is pink. That has always been pink. But Munstead Wood is supposed to be a deep red and that is pink. Purple splash is starting to open and that is pink. Last year I bought alpaca poop and started fertilizing with that so I wonder if that changed something. I'm going to start putting the coffee grounds on these instead of the berries and see if anything changes.

notthatamanda

« Reply #110 on: June 11, 2020, 12:17:16 AM »
One baby robin hatched last night.

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet, Mammasan

Maggie Ann

« Reply #111 on: June 11, 2020, 12:40:17 AM »
One baby robin hatched last night.

Awww!

LilyBLily

« Reply #112 on: June 11, 2020, 06:57:00 AM »
I was happy to discover one red hot poker in bloom (tritoma), the smallest out of at least four installations around the property and, from the looks of them, the only one that will bloom this year.

The transplanted bachelor's buttons are holding their own despite the current run of 90 degree weather, and my tomatoes in pots on the deck are showing lots of flowers. Anything far from the back door is on its own, though.

notthatamanda

« Reply #113 on: June 11, 2020, 10:24:37 PM »
Second baby robin hatched last night.

My tomatoes have flowers too.  :banana:

idontknowyet

« Reply #114 on: June 11, 2020, 11:30:02 PM »
I pulled out my spring garden yesterday all except for my tomatoes and eggplant. Wow am I getting eggplants off of just a few plants. The first set of tomatoes should be ready to pick in a week or two. They are full size now.

I'm having problems with end rot for my plum tomatoes in buckets. I've never grown plum tomatoes before. This seems to be a common issue with them. The ones in my raised beds are doing amazingly well.
I've had to pick off a dozen horn worms so far. I'm soo sick of worms.

My sweet potatoes go in next week. I already have a few slips rooted. Hoping to fill in all my beds with them to get a large harvest of the greens and potatoes.

Vijaya

« Reply #115 on: June 11, 2020, 11:52:42 PM »

How fun! Do they cheep all the time?

We have a bounty of tomatoes--made two batches of salsa (I roast the tomatoes, peppers, garlic and onions) then blend them roughly with salt and vinegar or lemon juice. Next, some tomato sauce.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

LilyBLily

« Reply #116 on: June 12, 2020, 01:11:38 AM »
I saw an animal under the shed. I hope it's not a groundhog. Hoping for baby foxes instead. It's the right time of year for them.

notthatamanda

« Reply #117 on: June 12, 2020, 02:01:13 AM »

How fun! Do they cheep all the time?

We have a bounty of tomatoes--made two batches of salsa (I roast the tomatoes, peppers, garlic and onions) then blend them roughly with salt and vinegar or lemon juice. Next, some tomato sauce.
No, they are too small to cheep. They stick their heads up as high as they can and topple over.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #118 on: June 12, 2020, 05:46:43 AM »

Pics/vids, please.   :pdt
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

notthatamanda

« Reply #119 on: June 12, 2020, 05:55:29 AM »
I can't make them small enough to post. I tried Simon's trick, but got stuck at trying to download the software.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #120 on: June 12, 2020, 09:04:34 AM »
I can't make them small enough to post. I tried Simon's trick, but got stuck at trying to download the software.

If you send them to me, I'll post 'em up.

JRTomlin

« Reply #121 on: June 12, 2020, 10:34:01 AM »
Does anyone have a suggestion for getting my Burnet roses (Rosa pimpinellifolia) to bloom? They look great. No bugs eating them, no mildew, etc. but they will NOT bloom. I've been using Jobe's Organics Rose and Flower Fertilizer this year. Ugh. 

Oh the other hand, my lavender is doing beautifully.

ETA: Great about the baby robins!

notthatamanda

« Reply #122 on: June 12, 2020, 11:03:57 AM »
Too much fertilizer can make roses not bloom. How often are you fertilizing? I do once a month, and you need to water heavily when you fertilize them so towards the end of the month I look at the weather forecast and try to get it done before any rain in the forecast. You are in the Pacific NW? Do you have enough sun for them? I switched to alpaca poop last year and I have a lot of flowers this year. Not sure if you can get your hands on any alpaca poop.

Jeff - I will try on the pics this weekend. I can always post them on my blog, and put the link here, I just feel kind of weird posting pics of flowers with all the bad stuff going on in the world right now.

Vijaya

« Reply #123 on: June 12, 2020, 11:15:11 AM »
Jeff - I will try on the pics this weekend. I can always post them on my blog, and put the link here, I just feel kind of weird posting pics of flowers with all the bad stuff going on in the world right now.

Don't feel bad. We all still need beauty.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #124 on: June 12, 2020, 11:20:11 AM »

Don't feel bad. We all still need beauty.

Flowers always make a bad day better.

JRTomlin

« Reply #125 on: June 12, 2020, 11:30:25 AM »
Too much fertilizer can make roses not bloom. How often are you fertilizing? I do once a month, and you need to water heavily when you fertilize them so towards the end of the month I look at the weather forecast and try to get it done before any rain in the forecast. You are in the Pacific NW? Do you have enough sun for them? I switched to alpaca poop last year and I have a lot of flowers this year. Not sure if you can get your hands on any alpaca poop.

Believe it or not, yes we do have enough sun here. 😜

As a matter of fact, there is a reason why Portland's nickname is 'The Rose City'. There are roses all over the place that bloom - except in my garden. I have been fertilizing every six weeks. This time of the year, I don't have to do much watering but in about a month, I'll need to.

notthatamanda

« Reply #126 on: June 13, 2020, 05:24:55 AM »
Well I would like to go during Rose season sometime. 

In other news - one baby robin went missing last night. Something made a snack of it. :(

JRTomlin

« Reply #127 on: June 13, 2020, 05:51:17 AM »
The roses here have started blooming (except mine of course). Many roads are lined with rose bushes that bloom prolifically. There is one such road two blocks from my house. *sobs*

And there is the Portland's International Rose Test Garden that apparently has more than 10,000 rose bushes. June is usually the peak month but I think it may be a little later than usual this year.

https://www.travelportland.com/attractions/portland-rose-garden/

LilyBLily

« Reply #128 on: June 13, 2020, 07:36:14 AM »
The roses here have started blooming (except mine of course). Many roads are lined with rose bushes that bloom prolifically. There is one such road two blocks from my house. *sobs*

And there is the Portland's International Rose Test Garden that apparently has more than 10,000 rose bushes. June is usually the peak month but I think it may be a little later than usual this year.

https://www.travelportland.com/attractions/portland-rose-garden/

I have killed many roses, even when I had a sunny back yard. If the yard isn't sunny enough, slugs eat the roses. Mostly I've killed hybrid teas.

Right now I'm busy uprooting invasive non-native floribunda roses on my property. They have small white blooms and a floppy spread like a climber.

There is also a native rose here with a simple flat bloom that is slightly pink. I've got one nice example at the edge of my drain field. The deer have been eating the buds, so I sprayed it yesterday. I want to find more of these roses; when we moved here I saw a couple others. They were all very small. The one by the drain field is much larger now because I've been beating back its competition and it gets more water. Our water purification backwash system goes through the drain field, so except in drought periods there is always subsurface water. It's the only place on the property where May apples can grow. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a Jack-in-the-pulpit to transplant there, too, some day. After that, I'd only need a pink lady's slipper to complete the flowers that grew in the woods where I grew up. Lady's slippers are both rare and protected, though, and to buy one commercially costs around $75 and few are available each year. The deer would finish one off in less than a minute, I'm afraid.

JRTomlin

« Reply #129 on: June 13, 2020, 07:49:18 AM »
Where my roses are gets full sun so sun isn't my problem either. I guess some of us just don't have luck with roses. The burnet rose is an antique rose with a flat blossom with five petals, almost always white. They have a lovely scent ... or would.

I've considered taking those out and putting in hybrids. Maybe I'd have more luck but I'd like to stick with the ones I have.

notthatamanda

« Reply #130 on: June 13, 2020, 10:12:37 AM »
There is only one egg left in the robin's nest and no baby birds. They were only a day old, not big enough to fly off yet. There are plenty of robins here but I am sad anyway.

LilyBLily

« Reply #131 on: June 13, 2020, 10:27:53 AM »
There is only one egg left in the robin's nest and no baby birds. They were only a day old, not big enough to fly off yet. There are plenty of robins here but I am sad anyway.

That's a shame.

We haven't heard or seen anything of the cooper's hawks that had nested here. I suppose bigger hawks came and ate their babies and the nest has been abandoned. Mostly these dramas happen early in the day when we're not up to see them. We did find a big bunch of feathers on one of our paths this evening but could not identify the bird they were from. Alas. It's a tough world out there.

In other, better news, I found that the native wild roses have colonized an entire patch in front of our bushes on the property line. All blooming cheerfully a delicate light pink. Half the height of the one at the drain field because they're getting the right amount of sun from our neighbor's mostly treeless property. Good to see them thriving.

JRTomlin

« Reply #132 on: June 13, 2020, 10:33:15 AM »
That's too bad!

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #133 on: June 13, 2020, 10:41:42 AM »

Sorry to hear that.  Nature is brutal.   :icon_sad:

Maggie Ann

« Reply #134 on: June 13, 2020, 10:55:57 AM »

That is really sad. I used to watch Meerkat Manor and since they were filming them for scientific purposes, they wouldn't interfere when one of the babies got carried away by a hawk.

Vijaya

« Reply #135 on: June 13, 2020, 11:18:47 PM »

Sorry to hear that.  Nature is brutal.   :icon_sad:

I'm sorry.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #136 on: June 13, 2020, 11:26:01 PM »
I saw an animal under the shed. I hope it's not a groundhog. Hoping for baby foxes instead. It's the right time of year for them.

Read this quickly and saw 'bed' instead of shed. Thought you were remarkably calm if there was a groundhog under the bed  :icon_mrgreen: :icon_rolleyes: (not too sure if a groundhog poses any danger)

Non-fiction, Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

notthatamanda

« Reply #137 on: June 13, 2020, 11:52:32 PM »
We had baby racoons in our bedroom once at 2AM. Do not recommend. But the two cops on duty that night were happy to have something to do.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #138 on: June 14, 2020, 01:42:15 AM »
One of our residents acts as an orchid doctor. If we are given an orchid we hand it over to him once it has flowered and he attaches it to his orchid tree hospital. He manages to resurrect orchids that look as it they are about to 'pass over'.  We can then visit our orchids when they flower again.  Grin

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #139 on: June 14, 2020, 01:49:15 AM »

That's sad  :icon_sad:. We had hadeda ibis nesting in our mango tree. They would bring their babies down to the swimming pool and teach them how to drink out of the pool. They are huge birds and the monkeys often ate their eggs or even killed the babies by ripping them apart.

notthatamanda

« Reply #140 on: June 14, 2020, 02:22:25 AM »
One of our residents acts as an orchid doctor. If we are given an orchid we hand it over to him once it has flowered and he attaches it to his orchid tree hospital. He manages to resurrect orchids that look as it they are about to 'pass over'.  We can then visit our orchids when they flower again.  Grin
Wow that is awesome!

notthatamanda

« Reply #141 on: June 16, 2020, 10:40:27 PM »
My neighbor brought me some broccoli, which I had been unable to find, that was super nice. Planting it made me realize the soil is like dust. No wonder I lost the spinach. Rain barrels are empty. I dragged the hose over and watered for five minutes. Possibility of thunderstorms Saturday, we really need it.

idontknowyet

« Reply #142 on: June 17, 2020, 12:41:30 AM »
I planted my first 13 sweet potato slips!!!! I should have more to plant at the end of the week.

My first tomatoes are almost ready to pick.  I learned something very new to me. Plum tomatoes don't do very well in containers. They have a tendency to get end rot very easily. No matter how much I supplemented and watered they all ended up rotting. The ones in my raised beds never had the problem. On the other hand beef steak and cherry tomatoes do brilliantly in pots.

notthatamanda

« Reply #143 on: June 17, 2020, 01:41:09 AM »
Huh, who knew. I just planted the cherry this year. I never have much luck with the bigger ones.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #144 on: June 17, 2020, 03:27:03 AM »
My neighbor brought me some broccoli, which I had been unable to find, that was super nice. Planting it made me realize the soil is like dust. No wonder I lost the spinach. Rain barrels are empty. I dragged the hose over and watered for five minutes. Possibility of thunderstorms Saturday, we really need it.

My father always had a nice vegetable garden. One year he planted broccoli and they were coming up very nice, but overnight the groundhogs (who he named Herman) ate the broccoli down to the roots.

JRTomlin

« Reply #145 on: June 17, 2020, 04:16:56 AM »
I wish I had more room. I only have a pocket-handkerchief garden so only grow a few tomatoes, however those are doing well so far.

idontknowyet

« Reply #146 on: June 20, 2020, 08:35:44 AM »
I planted 10 more sweet potatoes today -- 4 slips and 6 half potatoes too see which produces better. The ones i planted earlier tripled in size already.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #147 on: June 20, 2020, 11:34:25 AM »

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet, JRTomlin, LilyBLily

LilyBLily

« Reply #148 on: June 20, 2020, 12:26:23 PM »
My tomatoes in pots on the deck have teeny tiny cherry tomatoes beginning to show. I've never had deer or rabbits on the deck--well, except for one extremely small fawn one time--so I have high hopes that if I can keep the worms away, I might actually have a crop.

Meanwhile, the black raspberries are producing a pint a day and I am eating a pint a day. That of course does not count what I eat that never gets into the container. grint

My cucumber seeds did not sprout, either indoors or outside. Not sure why. It could be that the dirt, recycled from some plant I bought, actually has Preen in it or something like it to keep anything from germinating. We have yet to try curbside pickup at a hardware chain, so I'm stuck recycling dirt. The native dirt is horrible.

A magenta cosmos suddenly appeared; it has to be from an attempt to grow them last year. Three red-hot pokers are blooming, which is one more than I expected. The canna roots (corms?) I had in the garage all winter have now put up five pieces. I'm spraying them, since last year the deer ate at the beautiful foliage. The echinacea are just about to pop. Strangely, the deer ate the flowers of the baptisia. Never did that before, so now I'm spraying those, too. And all the daylilies, of course. It's a fight to the finish here.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #149 on: June 20, 2020, 12:58:29 PM »
My dad has a vegetable garden.  Georgia's had a ton of rain this year, and the result is that Dad's tomato plants are over six feet tall.  His tomatoes are actually bursting their skins because the plants have sucked up too much water for the fruit to handle.