Author Topic: PayPal problems - these should be investigated  (Read 3089 times)

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • Just4kix Books
PayPal problems - these should be investigated
« on: September 18, 2020, 03:45:56 AM »
I've had to use PayPal to receive some royalty payments and to pay for a BookBub ad and didn't have any problems. However, I did have a problem when I erroneously sent a friend a gift through PayPal and her account had been closed. She can't open a new one and there is no way that I can retrieve this money as PayPal say it wasn't unauthorized use and their resolution centre won't refund the money and has closed the case, so the money is sitting somewhere - but where??  :evil2:

The reason I'm posting this is because I found a Facebook page for PayPal Complaints that is not run by Paypal and am horrified at what seems to be going on.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1562231307282271/ Accounts are being closed for no apparent reason, people can't access their accounts, goods received are rubbish and complaints go nowhere (many of the items come from China and one person was told by PayPal to contact the police in China  :icon_rolleyes: ). If you are using PayPal it might be an idea to read these complaints in case you come across something similar.

If anyone knows an investigative journalist they might find this an interesting topic.

Non-fiction, Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Eric Thomson

Re: PayPal problems - these should be investigated
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 04:02:39 AM »
I was screwed over by PayPal when I was selling ebooks directly. The thieving bastiges are still sitting on about $30US of my money a year and a half and a lot of complaints later. And that's just one of the many ways they made themselves obnoxious. Holding minor payments (many under $10) for further examination, often for days, as if I was a money launderer whose every transaction might contravene US laws. Reversing legitimate transactions without warning or explanation, leaving both me and the vendor hanging, and a lot more.

I've stopped using PayPal and never miss a chance to let others know what a bunch of lying, fraudulent a$$holes they are.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 04:04:43 AM »
I was screwed over by PayPal when I was selling ebooks directly. The thieving bastiges are still sitting on about $30US of my money a year and a half and a lot of complaints later. And that's just one of the many ways they made themselves obnoxious. Holding minor payments (many under $10) for further examination, often for days, as if I was a money launderer whose every transaction might contravene US laws. Reversing legitimate transactions without warning or explanation, leaving both me and the vendor hanging, and a lot more.

I've stopped using PayPal and never miss a chance to let others know what a bunch of lying, fraudulent a$$holes they are.

Your story echoes that of many of the people on the Facebook page. There is talk of starting a class action against PayPal.

Lynn

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 05:11:02 AM »
I really don't like PayPal. I use it only with Smashwords and really wish Smashwords would switch to EFT or something. But it hasn't happened yet so I don't think it'll ever happen, unfortunately.
Don't rush me.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 05:15:59 AM »
I really don't like PayPal. I use it only with Smashwords and really wish Smashwords would switch to EFT or something. But it hasn't happened yet so I don't think it'll ever happen, unfortunately.

The complaints all seem to be fairly recent and people are wondering what has changed and what is going on. You just get into a loop and can never get to speak to anyone. I think it started before the Covid lockdown so can't completely blame that.

Eric Thomson

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 05:24:26 AM »

The complaints all seem to be fairly recent and people are wondering what has changed and what is going on. You just get into a loop and can never get to speak to anyone. I think it started before the Covid lockdown so can't completely blame that.

The problems started well before the virus outbreak. They stole my money in early 2019.

Lynn

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 06:00:48 AM »
The problems started well before the virus outbreak. They stole my money in early 2019.

Agreed. I've have PayPal since the beginning and I've been hearing these stories for most of the time I've had my account. I've kept it out of necessity and no other reason.
Don't rush me.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 06:16:39 AM »

Agreed. I've have PayPal since the beginning and I've been hearing these stories for most of the time I've had my account. I've kept it out of necessity and no other reason.

People are now asking about alternative methods of payment and receipt, but the bigger companies want to stick with PayPal, and eBay own PayPal so that will keep them on top of the pile  :icon_rolleyes: I wanted to transfer funds from PayPal to Payoneer, but PayPal won't allow it as Payoneer is a competitor.  :evil2:

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 11:29:55 AM »
I wanted to transfer funds from PayPal to Payoneer, but PayPal won't allow it as Payoneer is a competitor.

Actually that's pretty well why my Paypal use has stopped on it's own.

I wanted to be able to transfer Payoneer into paypal, but it can't be done.

So when I ran out of paypal funds, I stopped using it.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 11:39:20 PM »
I wanted to transfer funds from PayPal to Payoneer, but PayPal won't allow it as Payoneer is a competitor.

Actually that's pretty well why my Paypal use has stopped on it's own.

I wanted to be able to transfer Payoneer into paypal, but it can't be done.

So when I ran out of paypal funds, I stopped using it.

You have to use PayPal for a BookBub (I think - at least I have to  :evil2::icon_rolleyes:

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2020, 11:55:00 PM »
You have to use PayPal for a BookBub

That's something I'm not too bothered about. I can't even submit their form at the moment due to some bug in it. I'm in my 6th year now, and never been able to get one.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2020, 12:40:32 AM »
FYI

From their user agreement: "PayPal is not a bank..."

In the USofA: They are not under a mandate to comply with federal banking regulations.  There are some regulatory requirements within some states.

I have never had a problem, but I only use PayPal when there is NO OTHER option.

Cheers,
R.C.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2020, 02:23:55 AM »
These are the sort of posts that are appearing. It's very worrying if you are forced to deal with Paypal.

Hi, does anyone know what might possibly be happening with PayPal as a corporation currently and as to why their customer service has gone down the toilet in the last weeks? Are they going bankrupt? Someone taken them over?
I have used them for about 15 years and have never had a situation where phones/chat is not answered and you, a buyer who is the victim of fraud, is now required to spend own money to send fraudulent item back. It’s shocking.

I am receiving emails from PayPal that I have set up an account with an email address that I do not use for PayPal.  Someone is obviously trying to use my email address.  I even received a message that a credit card was added to the account.  I do use that email address for other things, but not PayPal. Because I don’t have an account with that address I cannot log in to message or use any of the Help or contacts on PayPal.  I’ve found two different numbers to call, but both eventually hang up on me.  It’s ridiculous that there is no way for me to get assistance. I finally found this and decided to give it a try.

I recently found out that PayPal just requires a tracking number from a shipper to deny your money refund, even if the shipper sold you a 7 piece tool set for $45 and shipped you a suction cup worth $1.

Along with all of the others who are disputing your decision to side with a Chinese company who is ripping off everyone around the world.. I am one of those people. I ordered 8 packages of 9 rolls each of Northern Bathroom Tissue in other words toilet paper. What I received was 2 small packages of Chinese gift wrap tissue paper. I wouldn't wipe PAY PALS ass with it. If Pay Pal doesn't choose to do its job and protect the people that have an account with them then please enlighten me pay pal..what the hell good are you? I see nothing good at all!

My account was restricted due to "questionable use" (which they never defined) and they required a ton of private information, such as a photo ID and bank statement, which I wasn't willing to give. So I tried to disconnect my bank account and close my PayPal account, but the PayPal bot will not allow those actions to occur until I "resolve" the issues by giving them the information that I refused to provide. So they're keeping my account open, but restricted, until I give them all the information they need to allow their overseas serfs to steal my identity. I sent my bank an email to let them know that PayPal was NOT authorized to access my account. Paypal has turned into another scam operation.

How exactly do you close your account totally. I am very annoyed and need a full closure. When I go to the place to close my account, I receive a notice to go to customer service. I don't want customer service, I've been 'customer serviced' enough. Long time user but need to get out.

I’m so aggravated with the dispute process. They have to know that Chines companies are ripping us off and make it so hard to either cancel an order once you realize it is not an American company as advertised, return an order or get a refund on an order. I told them numerous times I had pictures proving my claim but never saw the respond to the claim and now my case is declined and they won’t reopen it. Here is what I ordered what I got( top left) and a screenshot of another person with the same issue. I’ve now printed them out to mail to my credit card company but I’ve spent hours online on hold on the phone and am reall fed up. It shouldn’t be so hard and I think PayPal and Facebook need to screen their advertisers better. Adding pictures to warn others

Maggie Ann

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2020, 02:57:35 AM »
I only use paypal when purchasing on ebay. I think I'd better stop.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2020, 05:44:49 AM »
I only use paypal when purchasing on ebay. I think I'd better stop.

A lot of the problems seem to be with eBay, and most of those are items coming from China, but the buyer doesn't realise it at first.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2020, 11:24:20 PM »
Someone is making a stand  :banana: Taking PayPal to the small claims court. Awaiting the outcome.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2020, 02:29:24 AM »
I guess this might have something to do with all the complaints about Chinese companies on the PayPal Complaints Facebook Page  :icon_rolleyes:

https://techcrunch.com/2019/09/30/paypal-to-enter-china-through-gopay-acquisition

The People’s Bank of China has approved PayPal’s  acquisition of a 70% equity state in GoPay (Guofubao Information Technology Co. [GoPay], Ltd.), which will make PayPal the first foreign payment platform to provide online payment services in China. GoPay has licenses for online and mobile transactions, and mainly provides payment products for industries including e-commerce, cross-border commerce, aviation tourism and others.

According to a statement from Guofubao, PayPal acquired the controlling stake through the Shanghai-based subsidiary Yinbaobao Information Technology (Shanghai) Co., Ltd.

The companies did not disclose deal terms.

The news of PayPal’s entry into China comes at a time when there’s increased tension between the U.S. and China, with The White House reportedly now considering curbing some U.S. investments in China amid the trade dispute between the countries.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books

Jessica

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2020, 09:49:03 AM »
(...) and eBay own PayPal so that will keep them on top of the pile (...)

Just a side note: Ebay and Paypal went separate ways in 2015. Paypal is its own company now. Also agreements between Ebay and Paypal end in 2020, and Ebay plans to work with Adyen in the next years.
Avatar Photo by Allef Vinicius on Unsplash

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2020, 09:38:27 PM »
(...) and eBay own PayPal so that will keep them on top of the pile (...)

Just a side note: Ebay and Paypal went separate ways in 2015. Paypal is its own company now. Also agreements between Ebay and Paypal end in 2020, and Ebay plans to work with Adyen in the next years.

Yes, I did see that.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/02/01/technology/paypal-ebay-payments-split-adyen/

This goes back to 2018, but perhaps this is where the problem lies.  ::)

But eBay is now moving to cut those ties (with PayPal). The ecommerce company plans to take more direct control of payments on its site with help from Adyen.

EBay said the benefits of the changes would include lower costs for sellers and more payment options for buyers.

The shift will start gradually in North America later this year and eBay expects most marketplace customers around the world to be using the new system in 2021.

PayPal spokeswoman Amanda Miller said the company will "continue to provide a comprehensive payments solution to eBay through July 2020." It will also remain a payment option at checkout for eBay customers until July 2023.