Author Topic: A+ Content  (Read 10470 times)

Eric Thomson

A+ Content
« on: July 24, 2021, 01:41:05 AM »
I thought I'd share my experiences with A+ Content now that it's been opened to everyone. The nice thing is, it puts us indies on a more even footing with the trads by giving us the ability to fill the "From the Publisher" section on a book page and have our stuff use up the most real estate rather than ads for other stuff. After a day and a half of work, all of my books now have a standardized "From the Publisher" with the top half particular to the series they belong to and the bottom half particular to the universe (all of my series are in the same universe and with this change, I decided to brand said universe, tying all the separate series together.)

But, it being Amazon, it's somewhat clunky. At its core, the A+ Content construct is very much like a low rent website builder, which means you're limited to certain modules and layouts, and only a limited number of those. You also have to create your content for each market - it's not do once, use many times - but after futzing around a bit, I finally figured out how to copy from .com to other stores. One hiccup for me, I'm using A+ Content to market my other series and put links to the series pages rather than individual books, but few markets beyond .com have series pages, so that strategy will not work on, for example, .ca. Time will tell whether using the A+ Content real estate to market my universe of five series brings me more sales.

If you want to see what it looks like, hit me up on .com

The following users thanked this post: PJ Post, RPatton, alyson, Paul Gr

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: A+ Content
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 01:44:10 AM »
Can you explain that some more?

I've never heard of it.

But I have been wondering how people like Glynn Stewart get to put in such huge and graphical product pages. Is that how?

If so, where do you find the facility?
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: RappaDizzy

Eric Thomson

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 01:49:10 AM »
Go to your bookshelf, click on marketing at the very top and scroll down until you find A+ Content. That is indeed how Glynn does it.

Essentially what it does is give us the ability to add content to our book pages, content we control. I can't really explain it in words. There are resources available on the Marketing page, but since a picture is worth a thousand words, take a look at what I did

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OPJENFU

The following users thanked this post: Jeff Tanyard, Hopscotch, alyson, alhawke, LBL

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 01:57:06 AM »
Thanks.

Guess what I'll be doing for a while?  Grin

:tup3b

:banana: :dance: :banana:
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Eric Thomson

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2021, 02:01:53 AM »
Within the last five minutes, I've set it up on .uk and .de, though it isn't live yet and won't be until they're reviewed. All you need to do once you're on the non .com store's A+ Content page is click the "show auto-generated content" box and everything from .com will appear. Then, simply open each in turn, hit the edit button and click through until you reach the submit. Done.

alhawke

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2021, 05:23:10 AM »
Go to your bookshelf, click on marketing at the very top and scroll down until you find A+ Content.
THANK YOU :goodpost:

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2021, 09:23:55 AM »
Go to your bookshelf, click on marketing at the very top and scroll down until you find A+ Content..;

Sadly, when I follow the Marketing option at the top of the Book Shelf, I receive the "Marketing Resources" which contains nothing to indicate "A+ Content."

R.C.

Eric Thomson

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2021, 09:37:20 AM »
Go to your bookshelf, click on marketing at the very top and scroll down until you find A+ Content..;

Sadly, when I follow the Marketing option at the top of the Book Shelf, I receive the "Marketing Resources" which contains nothing to indicate "A+ Content."

R.C.

The following users thanked this post: R. C.

LilyBLily

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2021, 09:44:52 AM »
Thanks! This gives me something fun to do this weekend instead of, you know, actually writing. Grin

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2021, 10:05:08 AM »

R.C.

Nope...

R.C.

Eric Thomson

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2021, 10:56:24 AM »
Amazon hates you.

alhawke

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2021, 11:46:49 AM »
Sizing can be a bit fiddly for writers who use outside cover artists. I'm playing with this.

I'm also thinking of using this new feature to advertise my book trailer. Anyone done that?

And how do you link things? I don't see any links available in the module templates.

alhawke

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2021, 12:10:40 PM »
Did you create an Amazon seller account? This might be why I was good to go. A couple years ago I registered. It had something to do with selling the paperbacks direct, I can't recall why I did it at the moment. I'd check with Amazon or try looking into that.

RPatton

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2021, 12:28:54 PM »
Thank you so much for some great ideas Eric. I was stumbling with this trying to find a happy place and it's a challenge and a half getting the branding down and keeping things nice and streamlined. I was fiddling with stuff, trying to figure out how to showcase my series, but have a better idea now.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2021, 12:54:24 PM »
Did you create an Amazon seller account? This might be why I was good to go. A couple years ago I registered. It had something to do with selling the paperbacks direct, I can't recall why I did it at the moment. I'd check with Amazon or try looking into that.

I don't think that's it because I don't have an Amazon seller account and "A+ Content" is available for me.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2021, 12:58:27 PM »
Most likely, Amazon are rolling it out as usual.

It wasn't there as an option for me only a few weeks ago.

alhawke

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2021, 01:29:17 PM »
The question is ... is creating this new content going to be a benefit for book sales?  :shrug

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2021, 03:30:51 PM »
Go to your bookshelf, click on marketing at the very top and scroll down until you find A+ Content. That is indeed how Glynn does it.

Essentially what it does is give us the ability to add content to our book pages, content we control. I can't really explain it in words. There are resources available on the Marketing page, but since a picture is worth a thousand words, take a look at what I did

That's pretty cool, man.   :cool:
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Eric Thomson

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2021, 09:44:23 PM »
Sizing can be a bit fiddly for writers who use outside cover artists. I'm playing with this.

I'm also thinking of using this new feature to advertise my book trailer. Anyone done that?

And how do you link things? I don't see any links available in the module templates.
The only module where you can enter links in the form of ASINs is the one with the comparative chart.

The following users thanked this post: alhawke

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2021, 10:45:33 PM »
From the 'Zon

-----
Hello R.c.,

I hope that you are doing well.

We are currently in the process of rolling out the new A+ Content to all of our publishers. However, this process will take some time to complete. We hope to have all publishers enrolled in A+ Content in the coming weeks.

You can follow our Community forums for the latest KDP news:
https://www.kdpcommunity.com

I hope that you have a wonderful day.

Thanks for using Amazon KDP,

-----

R.C.

DmGuay

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2021, 11:44:55 PM »

R.C.

Nope...

R.C.

Like anything, they're rolling it out in stages to authors. I didn't have it and then suddenly did. Yesterday. So keep checking back.

D.M. Guay | Web site

alhawke

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2021, 12:57:57 AM »
What I love is this is finally a way to advertise my boxed set AND trailer on the product page. That's if the images get approved. We'll see.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2021, 01:04:16 AM »
What I love is this is finally a way to advertise my boxed set AND trailer on the product page. That's if the images get approved. We'll see.

I've just done my universe banner and one I made up of my 5 series logos, just for book 1 to see if it gets approved.

cecilia_writer

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2021, 01:18:01 AM »
Thanks so much for this information - I hadn't even noticed the marketing option! I have the A+ thing and also some beta thing  called 'Nominate your ebooks'.
Must have a go at A+ - I recently made a graphic on which I managed to fit all 22 books in my main mystery series - surely I can use it with this somehow.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

alhawke

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2021, 01:33:05 AM »
Thanks so much for this information - I hadn't even noticed the marketing option! I have the A+ thing and also some beta thing  called 'Nominate your ebooks'.
Must have a go at A+ - I recently made a graphic on which I managed to fit all 22 books in my main mystery series - surely I can use it with this somehow.
"Nominate your ebooks".
Anything else I'm missing out there?  :doh: Many thanks for the tip!

cecilia_writer

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2021, 01:43:01 AM »
"Nominate your ebooks".
Anything else I'm missing out there?  :doh: Many thanks for the tip!

Apparently you can nominate them for Kindle deals and Prime promotions.

Wonder

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2021, 01:16:00 PM »

That looks fantastic, Eric! Well done and thanks for sharing.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2021, 09:45:42 PM »
My first test just got approved, and is live.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WL26P8G

It's short and compact, with a universe logo, and the five series logos to date.

Anyone care to comment on it before I apply it to all of my books?

LilyBLily

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2021, 11:09:56 PM »
No text? The various series illustrations mashed together look as if they are pieces that have been stretched at different ratios. Maybe they weren't, but that's how they strike me. I think this would be better with the illos separated by some text.

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2021, 11:31:13 PM »
No text? The various series illustrations mashed together look as if they are pieces that have been stretched at different ratios. Maybe they weren't, but that's how they strike me. I think this would be better with the illos separated by some text.

I agreed with Lily, on my hi-res monitor, the images are pixilated.

R.C.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2021, 12:08:00 AM »

I'm using a high res monitor, and they look fine to me.

I only want to convey 2 things.

The fact that a universe exists, and the series connections for it.

There's no text, because I intend this to go on all books.

RPatton

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2021, 02:45:17 AM »

I'm using a high res monitor, and they look fine to me.

There's no text, because I intend this to go on all books.

It doesn't do either of those. Nothing is differentiated and it's not easy to look at. Right now it looks like a collage more than a universe page.

The following users thanked this post: She-la-te-da

idontknowyet

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2021, 03:35:06 AM »
one of those nominations requires a keyword addition in your book details where you enter your 7 keywords. its like they make it tricky so you can't figure these things out.

j tanner

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2021, 03:48:41 AM »

It's not working for the intended purpose. It just looks like a mess, and the distorted aspect ratios are a particular eyesore.

alhawke

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2021, 05:20:24 AM »
My first test just got approved, and is live
Anyone care to comment on it before I apply it to all of my books?
It's stretched on my web screen. Anyway to redo normal size? I understand that working with the templates can be difficult do to the size requirements.

alhawke

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2021, 05:22:53 AM »
I'm open to critique too. I just got mine up: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086T63YCS
I added an image for my trailer. I'm super excited that I can advertise it But ... turns out under mobile you can't see it in my Amazon Author site.
 :evil2:   Not sure if I'm going to leave as is or maybe add "viewed in desktop mode only". The other option is to write in my YouTube page, but I'm pretty sure that's against TOC.

The best part about all of it is it seems to be a good loophole to add in our boxsets and trailers.  grint

cecilia_writer

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2021, 05:39:15 AM »
I've only looked at these from my Kindle Fire so everyone else's mileage may vary. At the moment Tim's images seem to have distorted themselves a bit - are they the wrong shape or too large for the space, I wonder? Alhawke's example is looking very good though.
I have something waiting to be approved just now. I have all 22 book covers in one image so not sure if it will be acceptable.

j tanner

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2021, 05:55:40 AM »
I'm open to critique too. I just got mine up: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086T63YCS
I added an image for my trailer. I'm super excited that I can advertise it But ... turns out under mobile you can't see it in my Amazon Author site.
 :evil2:   Not sure if I'm going to leave as is or maybe add "viewed in desktop mode only". The other option is to write in my YouTube page, but I'm pretty sure that's against TOC.

The best part about all of it is it seems to be a good loophole to add in our boxsets and trailers.  grint

The main block looks excellent. The trailer and directions to view it are kind of clunky. Not sure if it's worth the effort when the end result is driving people away from your book page.

LilyBLily

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2021, 06:01:15 AM »

It looks good. The last sentence describing Book 1 is only half a sentence; might want to optimize it. The best part is the beautiful and large top illo. Very nice.

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2021, 10:06:48 AM »

Damn... Now I have to work harder on mine...  (Desktop)

R.C.

alhawke

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2021, 10:43:23 AM »
The main block looks excellent. The trailer and directions to view it are kind of clunky. Not sure if it's worth the effort when the end result is driving people away from your book page.
Thanks! I used the creative for my website which fits my trilogy. I have the same cover artist working on two more website sections which I hope will also work for a couple other books. I agree about clunky. I'll work on it. I just really wanted to showcase the trailer (can't understand why Amazon doesn't give us an easier option for trailers).
The last sentence describing Book 1 is only half a sentence; might want to optimize it. The best part is the beautiful and large top illo. Very nice.
Why didn't I notice that before?  Grin I'll fix.

I'm guessing pretty soon everyone will be doing similar things for this A+ content. Right now it seems like the Wild West, which is fun.

I really like Eric Thomson's links. Not only does it look great, it's a practical link to his other series. That's one thing I haven't done, but am considering somehow in the future. The problem is having the covers fit the template right (I don't create my own covers and creatives).

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2021, 02:16:06 PM »
At the moment Tim's images seem to have distorted themselves a bit - are they the wrong shape or too large for the space, I wonder?

I was thinking about that, and the problem is the image size for that insert is very non-standard, and I had to resize the image to fit. That resulted in some distortion.

It would be easier to add each series logo singly down the page, but I don't want to make the whole thing too big.

cecilia_writer

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2021, 10:01:36 PM »

I was thinking about that, and the problem is the image size for that insert is very non-standard, and I had to resize the image to fit. That resulted in some distortion.

It would be easier to add each series logo singly down the page, but I don't want to make the whole thing too big.

It's quite hard to tell which image box is the right shape.
Feel free to laugh at mine - it has erred on the understated side I think! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005DFEFDU

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2021, 10:07:35 PM »

All of the are. The top right is dragged out a bit, but the ship remains viable. The 2 squares show the rings are just slightly not round.

Maybe I should just replace both with what I have in my backmatter:

LilyBLily

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2021, 12:27:48 AM »
<snip>

Feel free to laugh at mine - it has erred on the understated side I think! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005DFEFDU

Yours is so modest I scrolled right past it. Can you make it larger? At least so the titles are legible?

The following users thanked this post: cecilia_writer

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2021, 12:40:29 AM »

All of the are. The top right is dragged out a bit, but the ship remains viable. The 2 squares show the rings are just slightly not round.

Do you have the images as layered PSDs/TIFFs?

My thought is to make a space background whatever size the image needs to be.  Then, take the different series titles and ships/rings (reduced proportionally to fit) and place them over the space background.  That way, everything is proportional and everything shares a common background so it all ties in together.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

cecilia_writer

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2021, 12:48:06 AM »
<snip>

Yours is so modest I scrolled right past it. Can you make it larger? At least so the titles are legible?

Yes - that's what I thought too. I found it hard to see what the thing would look like on the page until it went live - I realised almost at once that I'd have to go back and have another go. Thanks for having a look!

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2021, 12:49:48 AM »

My thought is to make a space background whatever size the image needs to be.  Then, take the different series titles and ships/rings (reduced proportionally to fit) and place them over the space background.  That way, everything is proportional and everything shares a common background so it all ties in together.

No, I don't. They're all jpg's.

I have some of the components as psd, but the 2 Hunter logos were done by someone else, and I only have the jpg's.

Probably not worth the effort to try and rebuild something custom.

alhawke

« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2021, 01:00:28 AM »

I have some of the components as psd, but the 2 Hunter logos were done by someone else, and I only have the jpg's.

You could "cheat" and experiment by adding borders to the sides that match the cover color. Just black square borders or something. I used gray borders for my home YouTube page (because I don't create my own creative and otherwise it would look stretched). I think your top image looks great but the bottom might look better with added borders.

It's a shame that Amazon doesn't allow different sizes. Perhaps that will be in future upgrades.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2021, 01:20:30 AM »

If you want to send me the files, I can see what I can do.