Author Topic: 50+ words a day...no matter what!  (Read 308874 times)

Lorri Moulton

Re: 50+ words a day...no matter what!
« Reply #1300 on: November 13, 2019, 10:35:32 AM »
Thanks for all the support, guys. I'm determined to write even better words tonight.

:clap: :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1301 on: November 13, 2019, 12:48:54 PM »
1,882 much better words. I couldn't stop writing and had to force myself to stop. YAY. I think I just turned lemons into lemonade.  Up to 204 pages and 48K total words.

Can't wait to finish this scene tomorrow night. I feel like I'm galloping to the end.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #1302 on: November 13, 2019, 02:09:28 PM »
1,882 much better words. I couldn't stop writing and had to force myself to stop. YAY. I think I just turned lemons into lemonade.  Up to 204 pages and 48K total words.

Can't wait to finish this scene tomorrow night. I feel like I'm galloping to the end.

:cheers
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Maggie Ann

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1303 on: November 13, 2019, 10:20:28 PM »
Woke up this morning with the scene on my mind and a crucial point woke up with me. Just inserted another 179 words.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #1304 on: November 14, 2019, 02:08:52 AM »
Had an awesome writing day today. 8800 words so far (still going), and it's got everything. Twists, betrayals, reactions and even a boss fight.

Loving this novel.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1305 on: November 14, 2019, 01:32:02 PM »
1,104 words tonight. I'm up to 210 pages and 49.4K words. This is turning out to be an awfully long scene. I don't think it's boring. We're at the hostage negotiator stage but it is coming to an end.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1306 on: November 15, 2019, 08:10:30 AM »
1,158 words yesterday and 1,246 today.  :smilie_zauber:

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1307 on: November 15, 2019, 02:18:22 PM »
1,667 which brings the story to 217 pages with a total of 51.1K words.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1308 on: November 16, 2019, 02:31:33 AM »
1,667 which brings the story to 217 pages with a total of 51.1K words.

Congrats! Over 50k.  :clap:

The following users thanked this post: Maggie Ann

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1309 on: November 16, 2019, 12:18:27 PM »
172 words, but I've decided to add another twist to the story!  :cheers

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1310 on: November 16, 2019, 01:40:05 PM »
900 even bringing the story to 220 pages and 52K words.

I finally finished that long scene (twenty pages), although I know I won't be letting it stand the way it is.  My chapters are usually around ten pages long so I have to break it up somehow.

I had hoped to finish the book by Sunday, and it still might happen, but that one scene took up so much time. So, I'll get it done Monday or Tuesday.

Forgot to edit ten pages on the first book. Piffle!

Simon Haynes

« Reply #1311 on: November 16, 2019, 09:32:48 PM »
4600 so far today, and that makes 28,000 in the past 5 days.

I'm only 3000 from finishing the novel, it's 7.30 in the evening and I'm feeling pretty good. So, I guess I'll keep going ;-)

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1312 on: November 16, 2019, 10:47:07 PM »
4600 so far today, and that makes 28,000 in the past 5 days.

I'm only 3000 from finishing the novel, it's 7.30 in the evening and I'm feeling pretty good. So, I guess I'll keep going ;-)

It's hard to stop when you're in the zone.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1313 on: November 17, 2019, 08:36:50 AM »
966 words today.  Hopefully, I'll get another scene done tonight! Imagine this as a jazz trio. LOL  :band:

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1314 on: November 17, 2019, 01:20:49 PM »
966 words today.  Hopefully, I'll get another scene done tonight! Imagine this as a jazz trio. LOL  :band:

1201 words tonight totaling 226 pages with 52.3K words and THE END!!! Lorri, may I borrow your jazz trio?  :band:

Still a bit shaky. Thought I'd lost the file again. Somehow, another file had overwritten it but this time I was able to retrieve the original file, only losing a couple of lines. I finished up the scene and added an Epilogue leading to Book 3. Not a cliffhanger.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1315 on: November 17, 2019, 04:10:20 PM »

1201 words tonight totaling 226 pages with 52.3K words and THE END!!! Lorri, may I borrow your jazz trio?  :band:

Still a bit shaky. Thought I'd lost the file again. Somehow, another file had overwritten it but this time I was able to retrieve the original file, only losing a couple of lines. I finished up the scene and added an Epilogue leading to Book 3. Not a cliffhanger.

Congratulations, Maggie Ann!! That's wonderful.  And of course, you can borrow the jazz trio.  :clap: :cheers :band:

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1316 on: November 17, 2019, 04:14:32 PM »
Another 564 words and the party is really swinging. LOL  I'm more in the mood for holiday music now.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1317 on: November 18, 2019, 12:19:44 AM »
Another 564 words and the party is really swinging. LOL  I'm more in the mood for holiday music now.

Lovely.

Here's my favorite.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1318 on: November 18, 2019, 04:40:56 AM »
REWRITE ~ But I think it will be even better. I'm redoing a few things in the last two chapters.  (They've found another body.)  :catrun

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1319 on: November 18, 2019, 10:04:38 AM »
REWRITE ~ But I think it will be even better. I'm redoing a few things in the last two chapters.  (They've found another body.)  :catrun

That's what I should be doing on the book I finished last night, not to mention plugging in the edits on book one. But the beginning of book three was knocking insistently on the inside of my head so I ended up with 1025 words and four pages.

My typing skills have gone down the drain and it's going to take a lot of time to get it all straightened out. I'm just going to have to dedicate an hour every day for each of the books if I want to get the first one ready for pre-order next week.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1320 on: November 18, 2019, 12:08:33 PM »
Finished the rewrite and added 290 words.   :smilie_zauber:

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1321 on: November 18, 2019, 12:22:16 PM »
Went over what I'd written this afternoon and added 98 words.

Now, I really am going to work on the book one edits.

Lynn

« Reply #1322 on: November 18, 2019, 01:19:15 PM »
I love checking in and seeing all your posts. I only wish I was as consistently productive! :D
Don't rush me.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1323 on: November 18, 2019, 01:53:09 PM »
I love checking in and seeing all your posts. I only wish I was as consistently productive! :D

I just do what works for me.

Edited twenty pages in book one. I don't know how much I added, but it was at least a paragraph here and there. Judging by my editor's comments, I'm really out of practice. But, I knew it. That's why I like an editor that doesn't pull any punches.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1324 on: November 19, 2019, 07:06:59 AM »
Just finished editing forty-one pages of book one. Sixty-six more to go. If I keep this up, I'll be done in two days.

I think I deserve at least a cup of tea, maybe even a bit of reading and a cuddle with the  :dog1:  The  :catrun won't cuddle.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1325 on: November 19, 2019, 01:31:43 PM »
984 on book three for nine pages and 2,107 total words. It's a beginning.

I'm kind of struggling with the editing on book one. My editor and I have a basic disagreement on style and even sometimes the wording of a sentence. I feel as if it's bleeding ink like Tom Riddle's diary and I might be killing my sixteen year old self. Sorry, needed to whine a little bit.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1326 on: November 20, 2019, 05:40:40 AM »
No words yesterday, but I did update my promotions trailer.  Taking a break really helped, and I woke up this morning with a great idea for the party scene!  :smilie_zauber:

Lynn

« Reply #1327 on: November 20, 2019, 06:10:21 AM »
I keep trying to keep up but the way I count words means I've had a few negative days so I feel weird posting in a 50+ words a day no matter what thread. :D

However, in the last 9 days I've accumulated 371 words even including the negatives. So not a total fail? :D

I'm trying to keep my daily writing streak alive, and succeeding, but I'm thinking I might have to set a lower bar, because right now I have so many low-word days that I feel like I'm cheating!
Don't rush me.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1328 on: November 20, 2019, 06:15:17 AM »
I keep trying to keep up but the way I count words means I've had a few negative days so I feel weird posting in a 50+ words a day no matter what thread. :D

However, in the last 9 days I've accumulated 371 words even including the negatives. So not a total fail? :D

I'm trying to keep my daily writing streak alive, and succeeding, but I'm thinking I might have to set a lower bar, because right now I have so many low-word days that I feel like I'm cheating!

Not at all. The idea of 50+ words a day is that you sit down and write, not that your net word count is a certain amount. If anyone disagrees with me,   :lalala

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1329 on: November 20, 2019, 06:47:11 AM »
If you write 50 words and cut 300...you still wrote 50 words!  :goodpost:

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #1330 on: November 20, 2019, 07:09:06 AM »
I think I added a few hundred words yesterday.  Not sure.  I'm working on the second draft, so word count isn't really my goal so much as filling in plot holes, fleshing out scenes with more detail, etc.  The manuscript is currently around 90k words.  My goal was for a finished product in the 100k-110k range, so I'm close to the target.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1331 on: November 20, 2019, 11:46:43 AM »
No idea how many words I added/subtracted/changed, or even how many pages I edited tonight, but I finished. Just one more pass through. I think I'm safe to set up the pre-order.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1332 on: November 20, 2019, 01:24:35 PM »
648 words on book three, for a total of 11 pages and 2,757 words. I had a lot more to say tonight, but after an afternoon of gardening and an evening of editing, I'm too pooped to pop.

Tomorrow is another day. Fiddle-dee-dee.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1333 on: November 21, 2019, 02:09:51 AM »
No idea how many words I added/subtracted/changed, or even how many pages I edited tonight, but I finished. Just one more pass through. I think I'm safe to set up the pre-order.

:clap: :cheers :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1334 on: November 21, 2019, 08:48:35 AM »
2,637 words and I'm almost done with the party.  :catrun
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 01:05:48 PM by Lorri Moulton [Lavender Lass Books] »

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1335 on: November 21, 2019, 01:14:59 PM »
Went through 93 pages and made a lot of changes. I hadn't written a full length novel in nearly four years and I was seriously out of practice. After writing this one and the second one and getting blasted with a critique, I think I'm back on track. At any rate, I'm sure the changes I'm making now are a definite improvement.

And I'm sure I've added more than I've subtracted.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1336 on: November 22, 2019, 06:50:51 AM »
1,168 words.  This party has been crazy.  What was I thinking having 50+ characters in costume???  :angel:

ETA:  I hope to have this part finished tonight!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 09:52:22 AM by Lorri Moulton [Lavender Lass Books] »

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1337 on: November 22, 2019, 01:33:01 PM »
1,168 words.  This party has been crazy.  What was I thinking having 50+ characters in costume???  :angel:

ETA:  I hope to have this part finished tonight!

Sounds like a blast! Okay, maybe not for you, but I'll bet everyone else is having fun.  :dance:

Edited 105 pages tonight. Fifty-seven left to go.

I really must confess my embarrassment when I discovered I'd named three very different characters Owen.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1338 on: November 23, 2019, 05:39:48 AM »
Finished editing Book One. YAY.

After adding and subtracting, I ended up with four more pages (255) and about 1k more words (60.7K)

Now I'm going to have to divide my time between editing book two and writing book three. Tonight will definitely be writing time. I don't want to lose the flow.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1339 on: November 23, 2019, 07:26:32 AM »
Finished editing Book One. YAY.

After adding and subtracting, I ended up with four more pages (255) and about 1k more words (60.7K)

Now I'm going to have to divide my time between editing book two and writing book three. Tonight will definitely be writing time. I don't want to lose the flow.

Congrats!  :goodpost:

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1340 on: November 23, 2019, 10:30:50 AM »
Made some changes and ended up with an additional 105 words.  I consolidated two bad guys and the suspense is building!

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1341 on: November 23, 2019, 12:49:51 PM »
440 for a total of 13 pages and 3,198 words.

I didn't do much because I was updating my character list.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1342 on: November 24, 2019, 10:46:39 AM »
Edited 105 pages out of 226 in book two. Hope to get some writing done on book three tonight.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1343 on: November 24, 2019, 11:10:44 AM »
302 words today.  Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend!  :smilie_zauber:

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1344 on: November 24, 2019, 02:00:05 PM »
868 words on book three for a total of 4,069 words and 17 pages. Also edited six more pages of book two.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1345 on: November 25, 2019, 07:28:54 AM »
1,502 words so far.  I hope to get one more scene finished tonight!

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1346 on: November 25, 2019, 01:48:13 PM »
1,588 words tonight plus just a little bit of editing, bringing me up to 23 pages and 5,667 total words. Feeling good about my progress.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1347 on: November 26, 2019, 03:53:10 AM »
934 words last night and 1,703 this morning.  It always picks up towards the end of the story.  :smilie_zauber:

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1348 on: November 26, 2019, 07:41:45 AM »
934 words last night and 1,703 this morning.  It always picks up towards the end of the story.  :smilie_zauber:

So true.

Added about thirty words to Book one. I forgot to add in eye color for two of the characters. Same mistake as JKR who forgot to mention Ron's eye color until alert readers brought it to her attentions. See, we have something in common.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1349 on: November 26, 2019, 12:57:10 PM »
Edited 53 pages on book two. Another 60 or so pages to go.