Author Topic: 50+ words a day...no matter what!  (Read 309837 times)

Post-Crisis D

Re: 50+ words a day...no matter what!
« Reply #1950 on: January 07, 2021, 02:20:58 PM »
And a limerick adds 35 words to the count.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1951 on: January 08, 2021, 08:38:30 AM »
Only 320 words for the humorous space opera today.  Really need to straighten it out.  I should--GASP!--do an outline for it.  Also, technically, went over 50k on it, though that count will come down once I edit out some stuff and remove some notes that are in the document.

Will have to try to get to 1,000 words for the day with a poem and short story later.  Been doing a poem each day and a short story on odd numbered days.  May try for a month of poems as that would still allow me to get the poetry book released second quarter of this year.  As for today's story, really need to come up with inspiration.  Last story, as I mentioned, really went nowhere.

Also wish I could find my notes for the trilogy I had mapped out many moons ago.  Still irks me that I cannot find them especially since I have a hankering to work on it.

Need to try to finalize the serious space opera too.  Really need to find some victim willing volunteer to be a beta reader.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

The Masked Scrivener

« Reply #1952 on: January 08, 2021, 02:09:00 PM »
Looks like today is a "just write something" kind of day for me. 316 on my WiP. Got some other adulting done, but should have a clear calendar this weekend to get my total word count up where I would like it to be. Good night, see you all tomorrow, and happy writing!

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1953 on: January 08, 2021, 02:33:38 PM »
Added a poem of 38 words and a creepy short story of 842 words, giving me 1,200 words for the day.

notthatamanda

« Reply #1954 on: January 09, 2021, 04:45:55 AM »
657.  I don't really know how much more I need to do. I'm at 130K words now but I really need to do a chapter by chapter review and see what chapters needs a little more to them. All I want to do is watch the news so even though the word count wasn't huge I'll take it as an accomplishment..

The Masked Scrivener

« Reply #1955 on: January 09, 2021, 10:30:15 PM »
Confession time. My streak ended at 7 days in a row, and on the 8th day I rested. Well, not really. I ignored my writing, spent extra time with my wife, and then failed to focus at the end of the night to get any words down.... which is inexcusable. No regret with spending time with my wife, but I sat at the computer for an hour and didn't even write a sentence. That is what I need to atone for.

So, today is January 9th and I will be writing in a few hours, once I get my morning choirs done. The journey continues.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1956 on: January 10, 2021, 07:01:09 AM »
Yesterday was the first day of the year I didn't reach 1,000 words.  Only did 199.  Wrote 165 words for the humorous space opera and 34 words for a limerick.  But I did find my notes for the space opera trilogy I've been hunting for for the past week or so.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1957 on: January 10, 2021, 07:07:55 AM »
Yesterday was the first day of the year I didn't reach 1,000 words.  Only did 199.  Wrote 165 words for the humorous space opera and 34 words for a limerick.  But I did find my notes for the space opera trilogy I've been hunting for for the past week or so.

You found your notes!   :goodpost:

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1958 on: January 10, 2021, 09:11:15 AM »
Only 250 words today for the humorous space opera.  Really need to get to work on outlining the thing so I can finish it off.

Poem to be written later as well as a short story, so still may reach 1,000 words for the day.

The Masked Scrivener

« Reply #1959 on: January 10, 2021, 02:27:20 PM »
Back on the wagon, 488 in my WiP and a ton of world building. Had some plot points to sort out and add more action to the story. Happy with the production, plan to get back into 4 digit word count tomorrow.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1960 on: January 10, 2021, 02:53:13 PM »
Didn't make it to 1,000.  Wrote 320 words of story and 34 words for a poem.  Gives me 604 words for the day.

Juniper B

« Reply #1961 on: January 11, 2021, 10:37:59 AM »
Only 841 words today, but that's better than my spattering over the last several days.

notthatamanda

« Reply #1962 on: January 12, 2021, 03:12:01 AM »
I'll see your 841 and lower you to 87.

One chapter only needed a paragraph more, but it's really because I have to go later to do the shopping I put off last week and I'm stressing about it.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1963 on: January 12, 2021, 03:29:12 AM »
Only 658 words for me yesterday.  Wrote 570 for the humorous space opera and 30 for a poem.  The other 58 words were for the serious space opera.  Doing the "final" read through and still making changes.  Oy.  Also finding stuff I wrote four years ago roughly mirroring some stuff going on these days which is disturbing.

Only 3 words for the day so far.  Woohoo!

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1964 on: January 12, 2021, 09:08:55 AM »
I should be writing, but I decided to do some editing instead.  Trying to get things in order for the new year. Hopefully, I'll be writing again before the end of the month. :dog1:

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D, Wonder

Juniper B

« Reply #1965 on: January 12, 2021, 12:11:43 PM »
712 words today. I’ll take it. :)

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Wonder

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1966 on: January 12, 2021, 01:32:28 PM »
Wrote 295 words in the humorous space opera and 23 words for a poem.  Hoped to hit 1,000 words with a short story, but finished it in 237 words.  Could have tried to pad it, but that's all it would be: padding.  So, 555 words for the day.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Wonder

notthatamanda

« Reply #1967 on: January 13, 2021, 03:12:24 AM »
1/2 Added news to paper.

Spend time updating filed on Kobo on book 1 because I applied for a promo at the end of the month and I want to have the free preview in there and have the book up on Kobo for preorder. While I was doing that I realize I got a one star rating on it at some point so that brings my average to 2. Don't know if Kobo will accept it now and it certainly won't look that appealing. <staring longingly at the couch emoji>

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1968 on: January 13, 2021, 03:34:45 AM »
1/2 Added news to paper.

Spend time updating filed on Kobo on book 1 because I applied for a promo at the end of the month and I want to have the free preview in there and have the book up on Kobo for preorder. While I was doing that I realize I got a one star rating on it at some point so that brings my average to 2. Don't know if Kobo will accept it now and it certainly won't look that appealing. <staring longingly at the couch emoji>

You got a one star on a preorder?  That's harsh.  I think someone was talking about that happening on Wide for the Win in the Facebook group.  I hope you keep the Kobo promo!

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1969 on: January 13, 2021, 03:43:41 AM »
I lied.  I had 558 words yesterday.  Forgot about the three words added while reading the serious space opera.

On that note, I have one word for the day so far.  Again from the serious space opera.

notthatamanda

« Reply #1970 on: January 13, 2021, 04:58:33 AM »
1/2 Added news to paper.

You got a one star on a preorder?  That's harsh.  I think someone was talking about that happening on Wide for the Win in the Facebook group.  I hope you keep the Kobo promo!
No, I'm just putting the preorder (book 2) up now. The one star was on book 1, so now it has a solid ** rating. Just think it will deter Kobo from picking me and if they do pick me it will deter people from buying it when it's on promo. Really easy for me to get down about everything right now so that didn't help, but overcoming that is my responsibility. Maybe I'll go look at the nice pictures on your page to cheer up. :) I'm going to go take pics for my how to make a hair scrunchie post and schedule that. Didn't get to it this weekend. I'm going to take a look at mail chimp and their email thingy now too. So I'll be productive, even if I'm not writing.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1971 on: January 13, 2021, 09:11:37 AM »
Lied again.  Evidently, the word count didn't keep up yesterday, and I actually had 358 words for the humorous space opera instead of just 295 which meant 621 words for the day.

Today, so far, +1 word in editing the serious space opera and 537 words for the humorous space opera.  Poem later will add to the word count.

Still doing a daily drawing too, but I am doing so with Affinity Designer and my Wacom tablet and, as I am learning how to use both, my drawings are even worse than before.  Mostly doing heads now.  Bodies maybe later.

With my previous drawing program, I am doing something different each day, but that's a two year project, so won't see how good or bad it turns out until 2023.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Juniper B

Juniper B

« Reply #1972 on: January 13, 2021, 12:27:24 PM »
733 words today, but I also added to the outline of the next four scenes which should make tomorrow more productive. I like the idea of daily drawings. I'm pondering adding a small sketch to my daily journal entry. :icon_think:

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Post-Crisis D

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1973 on: January 14, 2021, 09:46:42 AM »
So far, I am at 301 words for the day.  That's 300 words for the humorous space opera and 1 word for the serious space opera I am self-beta reading but still apparently editing as well.  Still have to do a poem and short story before the day is out.  And a drawing.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1974 on: January 14, 2021, 12:42:42 PM »
With 49 words of a poem, I'm now up to 350 words for the day.  Drawing done too.  Just a short story left to do.  Wish I had some idea for it.

Juniper B

« Reply #1975 on: January 14, 2021, 12:48:12 PM »
1,029 words on the mystery today. Borrowing Dan's idea of a daily drawing I decided to add a pencil sketch of a Daily Monster to my journal (which removes any pressure for 'accuracy'!)  grint

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #1976 on: January 14, 2021, 01:51:32 PM »
I'll join in the drawing fun.  MS Paint all the way, baby!   :cool:

In case you can't tell, it's a cowboy being attacked by a metroid.

v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1977 on: January 14, 2021, 02:13:20 PM »
Well, 100 words of short story, er, flash fiction gets me to 450 words for the day.  Still short of 1,000.  Really need to outline the humorous space opera and get that straightened out so I can finish that up and, in the process, get back up to a 1,000+ daily word count.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1978 on: January 15, 2021, 09:54:17 AM »
I'm at 757 words for the day so far.  That's two words for the serious space opera and 755 for the humorous space opera.  Poem to be done later so won't get to 1,000 words unless it turns into an epic poem.  Drawing to do later too.

I'll join in the drawing fun.  MS Paint all the way, baby!   :cool:

In case you can't tell, it's a cowboy being attacked by a metroid.

Mouse, trackpad or pen?  I remember doing drawings on the Apple IIe back in the 80s.  Kind of similar to MS Paint, I think.  You had a pencil, paint can for fills, shapes and then an airbrush that was fun sometimes.  Didn't do a lot of drawings.  Mostly stuff for my newsletter.  I think it was all in Newsroom.  They also had clip art and you could modify the clip art too.  Fun times.

That was back when "pixels" were like huge blocks.  And you'd draw stuff and print them and it's like, wow, it looks so professional, even though it was nothing compared to professional.  LOL.

Juniper B

« Reply #1979 on: January 15, 2021, 12:39:47 PM »
Daily Monster drawn. 676 words.  Grin

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #1980 on: January 15, 2021, 01:02:31 PM »
Mouse, trackpad or pen? 

Mouse, of course.  I don't own any of that other fancy-schmancy gear.  And that pic took me the better part of two minutes to make, so y'all better appreciate it.  ;)

Daily Monster drawn.

Well?  What are you waiting for?  Post it up!   :icon_mrgreen:

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1981 on: January 15, 2021, 02:10:32 PM »
Did a 62 word poem so ending with 819 words for the day.

Daily Monster drawn. 676 words.  Grin

I did a monster today too.  Well, more like an alternate sea creature.

Mouse, of course.  I don't own any of that other fancy-schmancy gear.

I used to do a lot of drawing and phot editing with a mouse.  Got an inexpensive Wacom tablet years and years ago because I was going to do animation.  LOL.  Never really got the hang of it.  Then, when I got a new computer, I got a laptop.  Then had to get used to its trackpad.  Instead, I got a mouse to use with it.  Eventually, though, I got used to the trackpad and did illustrations and photo editing with it.  Now when I occasionally use a mouse for anything, it's just kind of weird.  Prefer the trackpad for detail work now when before I preferred the mouse for that.

And, now, I have a newer Wacom tablet and I am getting used to that.  That's why I am doing a daily drawing with it as practice.

Juniper B

« Reply #1982 on: January 16, 2021, 02:01:39 AM »
For years I safely lurked in the shadows. Now I've gone and thrown myself into the fire head first.  :doh: I drew today's Daily Monster thinking just this once he had to be Handsome, all the while knowing he could never compete with the masterpiece that is 'Cowboy and Metroid'. No idea yet how to clip a quote, but first I need to figure out how to attach a monster. (No words written yet...)

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Jeff Tanyard, Post-Crisis D

notthatamanda

« Reply #1983 on: January 16, 2021, 02:12:04 AM »
1042 - Started the short story/reader magnet. Not sure how long it will be. I need to make myself listen to another chapter in read aloud later today. I hate that. So tedious. I could try to work a little bit more on the mailing list stuff I need to do, but that's just scary.

I like writing. I don't like editing, or marketing, or any of the business end of it. Maybe I should just write and write and write and hand it off to my kids on my deathbed or something.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1984 on: January 16, 2021, 02:45:01 AM »
I'm at 15 words for the day so far.  All from reading the serious space opera.  Found a character referencing something another character said when actually the other character never said anything of the sort.  Went back to earlier versions to see if I had changed it and missed the other character's reaction but, near as I can tell, the first character never said the thing the second character references.  Also, doesn't appear that I intended for the second character to mishear the first because nothing the first character said sounds anything like it.  So, no idea what I was thinking there.  Thus, had to change it.

I drew today's Daily Monster thinking just this once he had to be Handsome, all the while knowing he could never compete with the masterpiece that is 'Cowboy and Metroid'.

Nice work.  If I may, I'd suggest using plain paper.  If you need the grid, use thin or tracing paper over top of it.  Just makes things easier to scan and use if you ever want to do something with it.  In the old days, we'd use paper with non-repro blue lines but scanners these days pick those up so even that's not the best thing to do these days.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #1985 on: January 16, 2021, 06:46:30 AM »
For years I safely lurked in the shadows. Now I've gone and thrown myself into the fire head first.

It's okay.  It's friendly fire.

Wait, that doesn't sound right...

I mean we're friendly.  Yes, that's it.   :ices_angel_g:

...all the while knowing he could never compete with the masterpiece that is 'Cowboy and Metroid'...

:icon_rofl:

...first I need to figure out how to attach a monster...

I'm sure there are many ways to upload pics, but I use this:

https://postimages.org/

I upload the image there, then just copy the "forum" link and paste it into my post here.  Easy-peasy.

Juniper B

« Reply #1986 on: January 16, 2021, 12:02:20 PM »
1,332 words today.

...first I need to figure out how to attach a monster...

I'm sure there are many ways to upload pics, but I use this:

https://postimages.org/

I upload the image there, then just copy the "forum" link and paste it into my post here.  Easy-peasy.
[/quote]

Thanks!

I drew today's Daily Monster thinking just this once he had to be Handsome, all the while knowing he could never compete with the masterpiece that is 'Cowboy and Metroid'.

Nice work.  If I may, I'd suggest using plain paper.  If you need the grid, use thin or tracing paper over top of it.  Just makes things easier to scan and use if you ever want to do something with it.  In the old days, we'd use paper with non-repro blue lines but scanners these days pick those up so even that's not the best thing to do these days.
[/quote]

Great advice, thank you! Luckily my monsters are more reclusive than I am and will likely stay hidden in the depths of my grid lined journal. I hope I get this quoting thing right.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1987 on: January 18, 2021, 08:25:14 AM »
Guess I haven't updated in a couple days.

On Friday, I managed 865 words.  That was 15 words added while reading the serious space opera, 40 words of poetry, 300 words for the humorous space opera and 510 words for a short story.

Saturday, I wrote 462 words.  There were 400 words for the humorous space opera and 62 for a poem.  I did read some chapters in the serious space opera but added no words.  May have changed some.  I was pleased with Saturday's poem.

Today, so far, I am at 1,693 words.  That's 1,685 words for a short story and 8 words added while reading the serious space opera.  Still have to work on the humorous space opera as well as write a poem.

In case I hadn't mentioned it before, I am writing short stories (or flash fiction--I'm not being picky on word count) on odd-numbered days in January.  New stories, not editing, so I will hopefully end up with 16 stories at the end of the month.  I have nine stories so far and eight of them are usable.  Need to refine a couple but nothing major.  The troublesome story, don't know.  Had a good idea at the start but it got away from me.  So that needs to reworking.  Mostly, it needs a plot.  As it is, the main character shows up and walks away.  Woohoo.

Only doing a poem a day for January.  Think I've already mentioned that.  Most are pretty lame, but I'll add commentary and hopefully make them work.  These will go into my poetry book I plan to release in the second quarter of the year.  The original title (which I came up with in like the 80s) will be the subtitle.  Figure I owe it to my much younger self to retain the title somewhere even if it's relegated to a subtitle.  May have to figure out how to keep it as the subtitle while simultaneously burying it as much as possible because some words in the title, while perfectly fine not that long ago, have become somewhat radioactive in recent years.  Lovely.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1988 on: January 18, 2021, 09:27:29 AM »
And, 270 words for the humorous space opera, which brings me up to 1,963 words for the day so far.  Hopefully, the poem (pending) will put me over the top.

Juniper B

« Reply #1989 on: January 18, 2021, 10:35:47 AM »
382 words today. Got caught up in outlining yesterday and today.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1990 on: January 18, 2021, 01:22:44 PM »
With 44 words for a poem, that gives me 2,007 words for the day, which I believe gives me my first 2k+ day of the year.

Juniper B

« Reply #1991 on: January 19, 2021, 11:08:03 AM »
Only 22 words so far today and I think that might be it. :tap

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1992 on: January 19, 2021, 02:33:17 PM »
Managed 454 words for the day.  That's 270 words for the humorous space opera, 81 words while reading the serious space opera, 42 words for a poem and 61 words for a bonus second poem.

notthatamanda

« Reply #1993 on: January 20, 2021, 06:49:13 AM »
728 on the reader magnet/short story. I listened to one chapter with read aloud so 6 chapters done, 50 some odd to go.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1994 on: January 20, 2021, 09:27:04 AM »
Wrote 525 words today just on the humorous space opera, so already ahead of yesterday.  Poem to do later.  Also, it's an odd-numbered today, so short story to do later too.  I need to try to get 1,200 words a day from hereon out to hit a 1k/day average for the month.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1995 on: January 20, 2021, 01:49:14 PM »
Finishing the day at 660 words.  Poem is okay but the short is more than a little iffy.

Juniper B

« Reply #1996 on: January 21, 2021, 11:59:32 AM »
418 words today. It's been slow going.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1997 on: January 22, 2021, 02:15:37 AM »
Managed 1,094 words yesterday.  That's 7 words for the serious space opera, 42 words for a poem and 1,045 words for the humorous space opera.

So far for today, 1 word for the serious space opera.

Only 11 more days of poems and 6 more days of short stories.  As for the poems, I was only going to do it for January anyway which is good because it is somewhat challenging to come up with a new poem every day.  I have a couple good ones but most are pretty lame.  For the short stories, I have ten so far and eight are good and two need work.  Don't think I'll continue to try to do a short story every other day, but I think I will try to do one or two a week or something.  Not a forced schedule but rather to commit to writing and finishing a short story when inspiration strikes as opposed to making a note and adding it to an ever growing WIP list.  I need content for my newsletter, so the more stories, the better.

More than halfway reading the serious space opera.  This is, hopefully, the final read-thru.  Should really get to work on finishing the cover.  Kinda need that for when the book is ready.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1998 on: January 24, 2021, 07:13:29 AM »
I've got too many projects!  Still trying to decide which story to work on next. Instead, I updated a few more covers and made some for future projects...which is how I got into this mess. LOL
I may just put some titles in a hat and choose one.  :smilie_zauber:

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1999 on: January 26, 2021, 08:35:33 AM »
All downhill from the last post!  With 1,094 words on the 20th, I only had 620 words on the 21st, 565 on the 22nd, 547 on the 23rd and 644 on the 24th.  For today, so far, I have 580 for the humorous space opera and 74 for the serious space opera.  Seven chapters left to read through on the serious space opera.  This is, what?, my third time through?  And I've discovered the main character never actually figured out a minor puzzle he was supposed to solve nor was the answer revealed to him by another party.  I had thought one of the two had occurred but nope.

Also, really need to work on the cover in case I do decide to release the serious space opera.