Author Topic: New Cover = New Edition Number?  (Read 1604 times)

OfficialEthanJ

New Cover = New Edition Number?
« on: February 19, 2019, 04:19:30 AM »
Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere, but I didn't find it, so here goes: CROSSED OUT arguably needs a cover makeover. When I get that done, does that make the spruced up version (strictly cover change, nothing else to the book/eBook itself) version 2? Or can I "just" change covers and walk away whistling with my hands in my pockets?

Post-Crisis D

Re: New Cover = New Edition Number?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 06:49:11 AM »
When I get that done, does that make the spruced up version (strictly cover change, nothing else to the book/eBook itself) version 2?

Only if the cover somehow changes the book.  Typically, changing a cover for marketing purposes doesn't constitute a new edition.  But if you did something like add a cover (print edition) which added VR elements when viewing the book cover through a smartphone or tablet, then you would want to call it a new edition because otherwise you'd have customer confusion.  For example, if Joe buys a copy of your book with the new cover and tells John about that cool bookworm leaping from the cover when he looks at it with his smartphone and John has the old cover and tries to see the same thing and ends up concluding Joe is on drugs and stages an intervention and Joe denies using drugs but his friends and family insist he get help, and Joe insists he's fine, and everyone thinks he's in denial and it ends up with Joe restraining in a straight-jacket and held in a rubber room and ends up questioning reality and it's all your fault for not marking such a significant cover change as a new edition.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: Jeff Tanyard, Eric Thomson, Michelle Louring, OfficialEthanJ

Michelle Louring

• Novella unlocked
  • The owl is pure evil. Don't let him fool you.
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 05:04:53 PM »
I have no answer for you, but Dan's reply is gold  :icon_rofl:

Crazy owl lady. I also occasionally write Fantasy books, but the owl is really all anyone cares about.

https://michellelouring.com/

She-la-te-da

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 11:59:22 PM »
I think new cover only would not be a second edition. Changing any of the text could be (though I wouldn't count such things as minor typo correction or the odd sentence rewrite myself). I'm sure the rules on what makes a second or third or whatever edition is out there somewhere, probably connected to when you need to get a new ISBN.
I write various flavors of speculative fiction. This is my main pen name.

Al Stevens

• Medium Novel unlocked
  • Coffee-drinking, insomniac binge writer
    • Al Stevens, Author, Musician
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 02:20:48 AM »
I changed the covers on my series e-books after publishing about four volumes. No edition change was required.