Author Topic: Day-Of-The-Week - Promo Poll  (Read 1260 times)

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
Day-Of-The-Week - Promo Poll
« on: October 11, 2020, 11:46:14 PM »
Friends,

Full Question: If you plan to offer a free giveaway, for book one of a series, which day of the week pops first into your thinking? (Two choices are permitted.)

FYI - I have a LOT of research on this topic and will provide the results when the poll closes.

Also - Any comments re: time of year, holidays, pay days, etc. are welcome but are not the purpose of the poll. This is not meant to be a marketing exercise. It is a simple question, posed to a specific audience.  (Control group?)

UPDATE

Not a lot of response... None the less the small sample confirms the expectation.

In aggregate, the day of the week has limited effect on sales (free or otherwise).  I found numerous sources of sales data. After eliminating the obvious duplicates and "re-use" of date collected, the results are consistent.

Earlier in the week has a statistically insignificant advantage over the rest of the week.

Examples:

Our Poll

Sunday 0 (0%)
Monday 2 (22.2%)
Tuesday 2 (22.2%)
Wednesday 3 (33.3%)
Thursday 2 (22.2%)
Friday 0 (0%)
Saturday0 (0%

Sales by Day - Aggregated Sourcing

Sun 14%
Mon 15%
Tue 15%
Wed 13%
Thu 12%
Fri 15%
Sat 16%

Percentage of Average Weekly Kindle Books Downloaded by Day of Week (Paid Kindle Books):

Monday – 13.90%
Tuesday – 15.12%
Wednesday – 13.42%
Thursday – 13.37%
Friday – 13.78%
Saturday – 14.98%
Sunday – 15.42%

Also: "...the average purchase rate, which tells us what percentage of subscribers actually purchased a book on a given day, differed by just 0.03 percentage points between the best and worst day of the week."

Conclusion: Everyday is a good day to be selling.   Grin

Cheers,
R.C.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 02:20:14 AM by R. C. »

Simon Haynes

Re: Day-Of-The-Week - Promo Poll
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 11:53:05 PM »
All I know is my sales and page reads tank like clockwork every Saturday Western Australian time (Friday afternoon/evening US and Friday night in England.)

Hopscotch

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 02:55:30 AM »
All I know is my sales and page reads tank like clockwork every Saturday Western Australian time (Friday afternoon/evening US and Friday night in England.)

Maybe offer a free frostie w/ea sale instead of a freebie?
. .

Simon Haynes

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 03:13:17 AM »
Don't know about free - I've been experimenting with 99c first-in-series for about 3-4 weeks, and 2.99 for everything else. I reverted to 3.99 for everything a couple of days back.

My only freebies at the moment are Zero and those of my short stories I could be bothered to price match about 4 years go.

So, I'm hammering away at Enigma in Silver, and am seriously considering another ten-book year in 2021.

alhawke

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 03:58:14 AM »
Mondays do the best for me. Sunday is the worst (but I recently had a BookBub on Sunday and I'll take a BB any day they'd like). Avoid holidays, unless your book is apropos.

There was a recent article sent out by, I believe, Fussy Librarian. They argue that it doesn't matter the day. They claim that even when clicks are lower, the sales make up for it. Again, this isn't my experience. Monday is best for me. I sell fantasy and sci fi romance.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 02:25:21 PM »
I picked Wednesday and Thursday in the poll.

My advice: Stick to weekdays for now, and later in the week, not earlier.  The reason is due to support people not being at work on the weekends.  If something goes wrong, and you need to contact KDP or the promoter, then you'll have a better chance of getting help on a weekday than you will on a weekend.  Keep in mind that the lockdowns have played havoc with lots of work schedules.  Just because weekend support people were available a year ago, that doesn't mean they'll be there now.  Everything's in disarray, and probably still in a good deal of flux, so don't take unnecessary chances.

In normal times, it probably wouldn't matter.  But these aren't normal times.

Just my two cents.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

The following users thanked this post: sliderule

ashleycapes

• Short Novel unlocked
  • My neighbors think my name is Emily Goldfinch
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 03:56:20 PM »
I tend to prefer Tues and Wed, as my results *seem* a tiny bit better than say, Sunday.

Maybe folks who have just started the working week on a Monday, have by Tues (or Wed) settled into into things by then, and have the headspace to browse for books. I dunno :)

Ashley Capes | website

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2020, 11:11:15 PM »
Bump.