Author Topic: AMS ads - gone??  (Read 5115 times)

littlemom

• Tag Line unlocked
AMS ads - gone??
« on: March 05, 2019, 06:44:30 PM »
Anyone else not seeing AMS ads on book product pages this morning?

Lady T L Jennings

Re: AMS ads - gone??
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 07:45:15 PM »
I can't see them either (also bought and books in this series are still there).
They might be beta testing something...
Lady T. L. Jennings ~ Writing Victorian Romance and ohlala in longhand since 2011. Visit her at: www.mysecretquill.com

The Dangerous Letters Trilogy ~ Gay Historical Romance

notthatamanda

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 09:43:40 PM »
I am seeing the sponsored products but there is some "new" stuff.  I say "new"  because maybe I never noticed it before.
Wider thumbnails for covers, here and there.
Six items in the carousel instead of seven, and a sponsored ad taking up the seventh space, that doesn't change when you click the carousel.  That ad was out of line with the carousel so only the bottom half was visible when I scrolled down to recommended.
A thumbnail with a box around it.

I put a link to one example below, I know it might not work for everyone.  This one has two extra wide covers in it.

https://www.amazon.com/Hearts-Winter-Ocean-City-Boardwalk-ebook/dp/B01DOA5RMI/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=donna+fasano&qid=1551785865&s=digital-text&sr=1-2

Eric Thomson

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 11:05:15 PM »
Hmm... I checked my book pages and one of the books I'm advertizing on AMS as "sponsored product" was displayed as if it was "product placement" i.e. all by itself in a box on the upper right edge of the page.  What's truly asinine about the new 'recommended products' carousel that seems to have replaced 'also boughts' and 'sponsored products' is the Zon recommending my own books to me.  Try again, Zon computer gnomes, and thanks for f*cking things up again.

YouMeWe

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 12:18:32 AM »
I wish they'd pay as much attention to the 'other issues' as they do to screwing up the sales pages.
Pleez scoose n e errers, eyes lerrnin diktashun.

The following users thanked this post: She-la-te-da

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 12:29:14 AM »
Interesting. No charges for ads for the 5th at all. It's like the entire ad system was turned off.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

DrewMcGunn

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 12:32:12 AM »
I wish they'd pay as much attention to the 'other issues' as they do to screwing up the sales pages.
Amen...

When I checked this morning, I had the following real estate on my book page:
Recommendations and Popular Items (2 pages).  This is usually where my also-boughts have been.
Next is Sponsored Items (68 pages of ads)
Below my Author Bio is another Sponsored Products Related to this Item (only 15 pages)
Down at the bottom, below the reviews is my Also Boughts.

Drew McGunn

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 12:34:27 AM »
Recommendations and Popular Items (2 pages).  This is usually where my also-boughts have been.
Down at the bottom, below the reviews is my Also Boughts.

Only these 2 on my current book.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

DrewMcGunn

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 12:39:53 AM »

I guess they're jacking with what's being shown in various regions. When I look at your Hunter's Terminus, I see the same options as I see on my book.
It could be you Aussies are being shown one display and us in the US are being shown something else.
Or perhaps I'm in "A" and you're in "B"

Drew McGunn

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 12:44:36 AM »

I guess they're jacking with what's being shown in various regions. When I look at your Hunter's Terminus, I see the same options as I see on my book.
It could be you Aussies are being shown one display and us in the US are being shown something else.

That's a theory.

I noticed so far this month, my AU sales are way down in terms of percentage, and the US percent has returned to what it used to be. Could be the ads are not being shown outside the US anymore. Although that then makes one wonder if my AMS ads were only being shown in Aus, accounting for why they were only costing less than 10% of the set daily limit.

Weird.

notthatamanda

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 01:44:23 AM »

I'm in the US, when I search on Tim the recommended are all thrillers, but I have sponsored that are Scifi.

Quote from: TimothyEllis
Could be the ads are not being shown outside the US anymore. Although that then makes one wonder if my AMS ads were only being shown in Aus, accounting for why they were only costing less than 10% of the set daily limit.

Is there an explanation for how ads show up in Australia and Canada?  I mean, that would explain my sales there, but my sales in the UK are slightly better than AU or CA and I can't advertise on Amazon UK.   I can't imagine they are putting my US ads in the UK slots.  I could have some residue popularity from my bookbub in December, but that would be a long tail.

Edit - Sorry for quoting Drew on the second quote, I think it should have been Tim, I'm easily confused.

{Fixed the quote. t.}
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 01:49:23 AM by TimothyEllis »

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 02:06:39 AM »
I'm still seeing things as I have for some time: also boughts, then sponsoring products, then much further down the page, another sponsored products carousel.

Seriously, how many ads does Amazon think people will look at on any one page? Is anyone going to click through 23 pages of ads on the first carousel, then go down and click through 61 pages of ads on the second carousel? I can't imagine that happening very often.

We have determined that we’ll be able to fill 80% of the user’s display with advertising before inducing seizures.
Nolan Sorrento, Ready Player One, movie version

Fun fact: long before RPO, a similar idea appeared in the short-lived Sci-Fi TV series, Max Headroom. In the first episode, an evil corporation, whose name I've forgotten, introduces blipverts, a new form of advertising intended to bombard a viewer with information so fast that it would be absorbed by the subconscious without conscious filtering. The only downside was that it caused some people to explode.  :HB
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 02:13:32 AM by Bill Hiatt »

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

The following users thanked this post: Tom Wood

notthatamanda

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2019, 02:12:12 AM »
Seriously, how many ads does Amazon think people will look at on any one page? Is anyone going to click through 23 pages of ads on the first carousel, then go down and click through 61 pages of ads on the second carousel? I can't imagine that happening very often.

I've seen 120+ pages of ads (romance).  I figure if anyone gets to the 100th plus page, they are in more of a clicking mood, than a reading buying/mood.

Tom Wood

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2019, 02:13:03 AM »
You beat me to it!

Lady T L Jennings

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2019, 07:45:22 PM »
Also bought are still in place, the AMS ads are still gone for me - but only when I check amazon.com. On amazon.co.uk they are still there.
(I'm in the UK, by the way).
I think they're beta testing something...
Lady T. L. Jennings ~ Writing Victorian Romance and ohlala in longhand since 2011. Visit her at: www.mysecretquill.com

The Dangerous Letters Trilogy ~ Gay Historical Romance

shrouded1

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2019, 01:53:43 AM »
My AMS ads are still running, but I haven't been able to create new ads for several days. Is anyone else seeing that? I thought it was my computer, but now I'm wondering.
Two new ads were getting more clicks than sales, so I paused one of them. I tried to start fresh with a new one, but all I get is a blank screen  :icon_rolleyes:

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2019, 03:19:10 AM »
I recall there was a changeover not so long ago when one of the old ad types was retired in February. Before that, there was the rollout of lockscreen ads--which for me at least produced way more clicks than they did sales. Sigh!

Anyway, I'm wondering if the recent changes caused some kind of issue. Particularly, discontinuing an ad type would have resulted in a lot of new submissions and/or may have broken something.

Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2019, 03:22:14 AM »
I recall there was a changeover not so long ago when one of the old ad types was retired in February. Before that, there was the rollout of lockscreen ads--which for me at least produced way more clicks than they did sales. Sigh!

Anyway, I'm wondering if the recent changes caused some kind of issue. Particularly, discontinuing an ad type would have resulted in a lot of new submissions and/or may have broken something.
I was wrong. The old ad retirement is set for March 28, not some time in February. But perhaps people have already started switching their content, which would result in a very busy system.

notthatamanda

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2019, 03:47:00 AM »
My AMS ads are still running, but I haven't been able to create new ads for several days. Is anyone else seeing that? I thought it was my computer, but now I'm wondering.
Two new ads were getting more clicks than sales, so I paused one of them. I tried to start fresh with a new one, but all I get is a blank screen  :icon_rolleyes:

Sorry no, I've created several new ads the past two days, but they were all copies, if that matters.  Sometimes Explorer locks up AMS for me, so I switch to Firefox.

The following users thanked this post: shrouded1

shrouded1

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2019, 03:54:56 AM »
Sorry no, I've created several new ads the past two days, but they were all copies, if that matters.  Sometimes Explorer locks up AMS for me, so I switch to Firefox.

It might be time to buy a new computer.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 11:45:11 AM by TimothyEllis »

notthatamanda

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2019, 05:06:38 AM »

I guess this was meant for me?  I got the laptop in the fall.  It's by no means a fabulous laptop.  I had issues with using explorer to do Bookbub ads and bookbub told me that was common with explorer.  I kind of thought explorer was the old lady browser, cause I get a lot of eye rolls if I mention it and I get the impression that problems are common.  So if someone can't create AMS ads right now, maybe another browser will work.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 11:47:41 AM by TimothyEllis »

shrouded1

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2019, 05:50:50 AM »

I guess this was meant for me?  I got the laptop in the fall.  It's by no means a fabulous laptop.  I had issues with using explorer to do Bookbub ads and bookbub told me that was common with explorer.  I kind of thought explorer was the old lady browser, cause I get a lot of eye rolls if I mention it and I get the impression that problems are common.  So if someone can't create AMS ads right now, maybe another browser will work.

Actually I meant it's time for me. One laptop just died, and I've been using a tiny notepad with almost no memory since then. I don't think it even has room to install Firefox  :dizzy
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 11:51:08 AM by TimothyEllis »

notthatamanda

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2019, 06:23:15 AM »

Actually I meant it's time for me. One laptop just died, and I've been using a tiny notepad with almost no memory since then. I don't think it even has room to install Firefox  :dizzy

Ah okay, I get it now.  Also you said notepad and I pictured pen and paper.  You can write your laptop off this year (if your country does taxes that way).
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 11:51:29 AM by TimothyEllis »

The following users thanked this post: shrouded1

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2019, 11:52:20 AM »
Made an attempt to fix the quoting issue, but I suspect the wrong names are on some of the quotes now.  :dizzy

The following users thanked this post: notthatamanda