Author Topic: Series  (Read 2284 times)

Doglover

Series
« on: February 23, 2021, 08:57:11 PM »
What is the general consensus about the length? I never set out to write a series and usually they have been trilogies. But one of these has proved popular and I now have just published Book 6. The problem is, I don't really want to go on, but I would be daft not to. On the other hand, I look at some authors' series and they go on for 20 or more books.

I have a new series I want to start and I'm not sure whether to concentrate on that or do some more of the first one. I don't think I'm capable of doing two at once.

VanessaC

Re: Series
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 09:38:31 PM »
I think the honest answer about series length is that it depends - on the genre, on the writer, and the story ...

From my perspective, I write in "closed" series - so I have an over-arching series arc in mind before I start writing, and my two series so far have been 5 books then 6 books (the catalogue in my signature is out of date). Now working on series 3 which will be 6 books. So far, I've also written each series straight through, which makes it easier for me to keep little details straight in my head. The downside is my "series bible" is almost non-existent.

I think a longer series could work in my genre of fantasy, but my writer-brain gets frazzled at the idea of an open-ended series - so 10 books or more - and I would absolutely lose track of details and information on the way.

The shorter, "closed", series approach works for me.

Genre: Fantasy

The following users thanked this post: Doglover

Doglover

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 09:48:31 PM »
I think the honest answer about series length is that it depends - on the genre, on the writer, and the story ...

From my perspective, I write in "closed" series - so I have an over-arching series arc in mind before I start writing, and my two series so far have been 5 books then 6 books (the catalogue in my signature is out of date). Now working on series 3 which will be 6 books. So far, I've also written each series straight through, which makes it easier for me to keep little details straight in my head. The downside is my "series bible" is almost non-existent.

I think a longer series could work in my genre of fantasy, but my writer-brain gets frazzled at the idea of an open-ended series - so 10 books or more - and I would absolutely lose track of details and information on the way.

The shorter, "closed", series approach works for me.
Thanks; that's very helpful. I suppose I could start my new series and then come back to this one later, couldn't I? I'm afraid it might get repetitive if I keep going. It's time travel and all I can think of sending them to do now is murder Hitler (or try to). Not very original.

notthatamanda

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 09:51:53 PM »
If you want to write series two, will you be able to do as good of a job on series one or will you be miserable doing it? Did you finish the story where you wanted to with series one? Maybe you could alternate, do book one of series two, then go back and do book seven of the first.

For me it comes down to what I want to write next. If you move onto series two, stick a preview of the first 3 chapters at the end of book 6 and hope for the best.

The following users thanked this post: Doglover

Doglover

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 09:55:57 PM »
If you want to write series two, will you be able to do as good of a job on series one or will you be miserable doing it? Did you finish the story where you wanted to with series one? Maybe you could alternate, do book one of series two, then go back and do book seven of the first.

For me it comes down to what I want to write next. If you move onto series two, stick a preview of the first 3 chapters at the end of book 6 and hope for the best.
That's what I'm concerned about. My main problem is I'm trying to get some money together for something important and while I know I have a following for the first series, that seems sensible to continue with that. But, not if it's going to go flat. Decisions, decisions!

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 10:05:21 PM »
After book 9, serial series start to see a major drop off.

I'm putting out book 12 in series 4 next weekend, and it's the last book. But the drop off in pre-orders is tangible. But this one is the last book.

I'm next going to be doing 7,8,9 for series 5, and that will end that series.

Then I start on series 6, which again will probably be 9 at the most.

But what I'm writing is a universe, and all 5 series are advancing a timeline.

If you're planning a series, I'd recommend no more than 3 trilogies. Then spin off, or start a new series related to the first one.

I'm up to novel 39 in the universe, but spread over 5 series.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: DmGuay, Greg Dragon, The Masked Scrivener

Al Stevens

• Medium Novel unlocked
  • Coffee-drinking, insomniac binge writer
    • Al Stevens, Author, Musician
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 11:54:29 PM »
My first series is 10 books. The second one is 3. Neither is serial. The second series has the same characters but with a slightly different theme.It could have been books 11, 12, and 13 of the first, but I wanted to highliReadght the new theme in the series title. Some readers still ask when I'll do #11 of the first.

Doglover

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 12:44:08 AM »
The new one I have in mind cannot be connected to the time travel series, but it might be possible to connect it to another popular six book series I have. These are all good ideas.  :dog1:

PJ Post

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 12:51:07 AM »
Just as a reminder:

A series is a group of books set in the same universe that may or may not be standalones - and may or may not require sequential reading.

A serial is a group of books telling one long story, which, therefore, MUST be read sequentially.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 12:52:47 AM »
Just as a reminder:

A series is a group of books set in the same universe that may or may not be standalones - and may or may not require sequential reading.

A serial is a group of books telling one long story, which, therefore, MUST be read sequentially.

A serial is a series, but a series is not necessarily serial.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

PJ Post

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 12:54:35 AM »
Just as a reminder:

A serial is a series, but a series is not necessarily serial.

Yeah.

I thought we should make the distinction for newer writers/publishers.

Doglover

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2021, 01:02:53 AM »
Well, yes, I know the difference. My series all have separate books that involve the same characters on some level or another. There are no cliffhangers, but there are some hints that a new story might emerge. I don't like serials myself; even on tv I record them all before I start watching.

Hopscotch

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2021, 01:04:42 AM »
Seems to me if there is a profound drop-off in sales at book 6 or 9 or other in a series in a genre, then readers are saying, Whoa, enough, go write something else for us.  Which suggests a series ought to be planned to end at that book # rather than pushing any further.  Conserve your energy for the next project.
. .

Doglover

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2021, 01:08:03 AM »
Seems to me if there is a profound drop-off in sales at book 6 or 9 or other in a series in a genre, then readers are saying, Whoa, enough, go write something else for us.  Which suggests a series ought to be planned to end at that book # rather than pushing any further.  Conserve your energy for the next project.

Planning is not something I'm compatible with. I usually don't start out to write a series at all, only a standalone book. Then I see a new story sprouting off so it might turn into a series. All my series have started life as a standalone book, except one. I have been reading through the notes I made for the new series and I think I can make it work.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2021, 01:10:53 AM »

Which is fine if you plan such things.  grint

My first series was supposed to be 6 books. It went 13 novels and a novella.

Series 4 wasn't planned to be more than 9. But it went 12. 9 was a novella.

I suck at planning series lengths. I'm a total failure at doing a stand alone.  :hehe

Anarchist

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2021, 03:07:51 AM »
As a reader, I prefer short, closed series (max. 6 books).

Exceptions aside, I won't start a series if it has 10+ books.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

Hopscotch

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2021, 06:47:55 AM »
Who reads a series - I mean actually reads thru a series?  What is that reader like and what does s/he like in reading?  Have to ask as my longest series - 7 books - got scant attention.  If I understood the series-reader better, maybe my next series would fly.
. .

hardnox

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2021, 07:12:04 AM »
Coincidentally, I came across this series discussion today in Joanna Penn's blog. Might be helpful points in there for resolving your dilemma. :shrug

The following users thanked this post: Hopscotch

cecilia_writer

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2021, 07:51:42 AM »
I have a series of stand-alone mysteries with a recurring group of characters that is now 21 books long. The readers I encounter on social media persist in saying 'I can't wait to catch up with the gang again'. I suspect they appeal to older readers who like a relaxing read where it all seems familiar but not quite the same as all the others.
I've got 2 other series, one of 6 books that I finished off and abandoned a while ago, and one of 4 books - both historical, neither as popular (this is all relative). I've recently published a stand-alone mystery with completely different characters and setting that I hope to build into a new series. I'm probably too old to aim for 21 books again!
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Wonder

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2021, 08:08:37 AM »
I think cozy mysteries lend themselves very well to series.  We expect them to keep going with the same characters and a new mystery to solve each time.  And they can transition very well to TV and movies!

I usually plan a trilogy at a time, but I do want to start a mystery series (kind of cozy) that will hopefully have at least 8 books. 
I just need to finish all these trilogies first!  :dog1:

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

The following users thanked this post: Wonder

Wonder

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2021, 08:43:10 AM »
I have a series of stand-alone mysteries with a recurring group of characters that is now 21 books long. The readers I encounter on social media persist in saying 'I can't wait to catch up with the gang again'. I suspect they appeal to older readers who like a relaxing read where it all seems familiar but not quite the same as all the others.
I've got 2 other series, one of 6 books that I finished off and abandoned a while ago, and one of 4 books - both historical, neither as popular (this is all relative). I've recently published a stand-alone mystery with completely different characters and setting that I hope to build into a new series. I'm probably too old to aim for 21 books again!

Many mystery readers seem to enjoy long series! I've seen several cozy mystery series 20 books or longer. I suppose I think of it as being like Murder She Wrote or NCIS. Murder of the week! There's no reason why you can't continue on like that.

As a writer, I have a hard time writing more than 5-6 books in a series. By then, I'm ready to move onto a new adventure and new characters. My current notion is: plan out a nice series arc over 5-6 books, finish that arc, and then go work on something else. But leave room at the end of that first series for spin-off series or additional books. I like finishing things, but it could also be nice to go back and add to a popular series and revisit old "friends" from time to time.

Wonder

The following users thanked this post: cecilia_writer

Doglover

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2021, 04:51:11 PM »
I started a while ago to write a cozy mystery series and the first book was well received with no advertising. My problems with cozy mysteries are 1} I'm not very apt at writing mysteries and 2) I don't like them myself. I mean, how has Jessica Fletcher got time to write all those bestsellers when she's tripping over bodies all the time. And what sort of copper asks the local priest or the local doctor for their opinion?

I can't take them seriously.

Yesterday, I started on the first book of the series I want to write and got right into it. For my other series, I have struggled to write my 2000 words a day, so I think I need to shelve it at six for now and perhaps return to it at a later date.