Author Topic: Beverly Cleary dies at age 104  (Read 1239 times)

okey dokey

Beverly Cleary dies at age 104
« on: March 30, 2021, 06:34:56 PM »
Beverly Cleary. one of America's most successful authors, died March 25. She was 104.
Her most popular children's characters were Henry Huggins, and Beezus and her bratty sister Ramona.

notthatamanda

Re: Beverly Cleary dies at age 104
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 08:49:59 PM »
Wow 104. I loved here books but my kids never had any interest in them.

Fun fact - my sister was drawn into a reprinting for a Ralph Mouse book. Her teacher was a friend of the artist doing the illustrations and he came to their class and drew the kids and then used them in the books. We could recognize all the kids.

cecilia_writer

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 10:00:51 PM »
I remember reading her book 'Fifteen' when I was about 15 myself. I liked it because it let me know other people just muddled through as I did. Also it was really interesting to read about American teenagers.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

Vijaya

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 11:48:16 PM »
I discovered her as an adult when I started writing (grew up on Indian and British lit) and loved the Ralph Mouse books. My kids enjoyed her stories too. What a legacy she leaves behind. Requiescat in pace!

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

Writer

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 04:45:47 AM »
I remember Ramona and Beezus.

feste

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 06:26:24 AM »
Cleary was a tremendously good writer who has a lot to teach us about characters and point of view and writing in general.  (I wrote a book about her for Twayne Publishers way back in the 1990s and got to read everything; I had no idea she'd written at least one tie-in novel for Leave It to Beaver!)

Though when she first started writing she had details in the books that "dated" them (Henry Huggins wants a raccoonskin cap with a detachable tail, which was popular when she was writing the book; and one of her teenaged characters is reeeally focused on the little white gloves she'll wear on a date), later on Cleary managed to include details from the time period when the book was written, but still make them seem very fresh and new.  Beezus, for example, goes to get her hair cut "like the skater on television"--which would have been Dorothy Hamill, given when the book was published, but which is still generic enough to be any skater the reader is aware of.

It was astonishing to read the Ramona books, because as a child I'd been so irritated with her while reading the Henry Huggins books, since I was seeing her from Henry's point of view.  Seen from her own point of view, Ramona is an amazingly believable child character just trying to get through life; she's one of my favorite characters.

Cleary was just a wonderful writer whose books look deceptively simple.

elleoco

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 07:53:51 AM »
I'm not familiar with her writing. The influential books of my childhood were by Thornton Burgess, which probably explains my animal-centric world to this day.

This thread is inspiring, though, since she exceeded my own life goal of 103 (so long as I can still be on my feet).

LilyBLily

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2021, 09:51:42 AM »
I remember Henry Huggins and the paydirt, which must have been read to me when I was in kindergarten or first grade. It's actually one of my earliest specific memories--not the reading of it, but the puzzling over the "paydirt" while on the playground at that school. At that age, the playground seemed immense to me, as large as a football field.

Mrs. Cleary was not the only American woman of letters to reach age 104. Phyllis A. Whitney, popular writer of romantic suspense/Gothic novels/mysteries (take your pick of subgenre) for adults and mysteries and other novels for children and teens, also attained that number of years.