Author Topic: I Like Books Like Ready Player One. Fight Me!  (Read 3291 times)

Tom Wood

I Like Books Like Ready Player One. Fight Me!
« on: September 12, 2019, 01:38:11 AM »
I like the book AND the movie both in equal measures at the same time!

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: I Like Books Like Ready Player One. Fight Me!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 01:40:31 AM »
I Like Books Like Ready Player One. Fight Me!

Only if you're going to bleed coins when you lose.  :icon_mrgreen:
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 02:22:49 AM »
I like to think I have an open mind, especially when it comes to reading materlal and movies.  However, the more hype, the less likely I'll look into something.

I know it's a personality flaw and I try to ignore it, but there you go. I like undiscovered gems.

Actually, analysing it further, it comes down to this: I like to be surprised by something. Most wildly popular things rarely live up to the hype, which means I usually end up disappointed. And don't get me started on advertising...

Maybe I'm just a jaded cynic ;-)

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 02:26:55 AM »
This one actually lives up to its hype.

I was quite surprised myself at how good it was.

One of my criteria for a movie being good is how fast I watch it the second time. In this case, it was the next day. The next criteria is how many times watched overall, and its beyond 6 times already.

It wasn't enough for me to read the book though.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 02:50:14 AM »
I saw the movie, and it was enjoyable. I have the book, but I haven't started it.

German Translator

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 03:12:17 AM »
The movie changed major parts of the plot from a 1980s US pop culture trivia quiz into visual action - probably to make it more appealing to moviegoers and to do better with a global audience. When I watched the movie I really missed that aspect.

Just a few of the books I have translated (English <-> German)

PJ Post

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 04:09:57 AM »
The book had serious problems with tone. Sometimes it was happy and nostalgic - loads of fun, and other times it was just f*cking dark. The movie focused on the happy sh*t, and, as a result, it was loads of fun too. With that said, I didn't expect to have to turn my brain off with Spielberg...but, whatevs.
:tup3b

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 09:33:38 AM »
I enjoyed the movie.  Like I said in the other thread, I thought it was good but not great.  Would watch again.

Haven't read the book.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 11:36:49 AM »
I saw the movie, and it was enjoyable. I have the book, but I haven't started it.

You'll surprised by how different they are.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

Simon Haynes

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 12:53:22 PM »

Being the cynic that I am (and with a degree in movie making), I bet I won't be ;-)

Lynn

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2019, 01:11:51 PM »

Different like The Lost World? Because some books just shouldn't even be made into movies. ;)
Don't rush me.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2019, 12:27:30 AM »

They are enormously different in detail, but similar in premise and spirit. Spielberg did a smart thing when he made Ernest Cline one of the screenwriters for the movie. He did the same thing with Crichton for Jurassic Park. Inevitably, some aspects of a book will need to be altered for the movie, but letting the author weigh in helps to avoid losing the fans of the book (as happened with Golden Compass, for example.

Both the book and the movie have problems with conflicting impulses. Cline wants to revel in nostalgia while simultaneously condemning the tendency to ignore the world as it is. Both appeal to computerholics but condemn people who substitute virtual reality for reality. Both also suffer from a conflict between part of the premise and the resolution--if the world is as big a mess as portrayed, with most people living in poverty, how are they supposed to spend time in the real world? Is that a realistic option for a society where virtual reality has regular reality beat on practically every level?

All of that said, I enjoyed both, anyway.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Mark Gardner

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2019, 12:58:18 PM »
I haven’t read or watched RP1, but I think that I’d want to read the book before watching the movie. I love both iterations on the Martian, so there’s room in my heart to love both forms of RP1.

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2019, 04:36:47 PM »
I wanted to like it but it felt like it relied too heavily on the 80s nostalgia. I felt like I was reading one of those BuzzFeed lists with the title, "only 80s kids will remember these 103 things!" Movie had the same problem for me.

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2019, 07:59:21 PM »
I enjoyed the book very much. For me, saying there are too many references to 80s popular culture in it, is like saying there is too much fantasy in the Lord of the Rings. The story is explicitly about the consequences of nostalgia. I found the film less successful. Possibly I would have liked the film more if I hadn't read the book? With the book, I could suspend my disbelief more easily. With the film, I kept finding myself going "hold on, how does that work?"

Betty Blast

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2019, 02:01:14 AM »
I liked the movie. I've mulled over a few different litrpg book ideas, but I'm just not as passionate about it as I am other genres.

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2019, 02:28:25 AM »
By the way, for people who enjoyed Ready Player One, you might enjoy Warcross. I'm about 3/4 through and it's a lot of fun and has a similar feel. Quite wish fulfilment, and very YA but that's not necessarily a bad thing :)

The following users thanked this post: Tom Wood

Tom Wood

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2019, 03:24:11 AM »
By the way, for people who enjoyed Ready Player One, you might enjoy Warcross. I'm about 3/4 through and it's a lot of fun and has a similar feel. Quite wish fulfilment, and very YA but that's not necessarily a bad thing :)

Not a bad thing at all! The main character, Emika, is the new-adult woman that YT from Snow Crash becomes.

The great thing about Warcross as a comparable is that it is a bridge from science fiction to all those wonderful readers of romance who also enjoy some easy science fiction. Marie Lu figured that part out early, and even deploys the mysterious billionaire trope in Warcross. Brilliant marketing, IMO.

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2019, 03:26:48 AM »
I need to read Snowcrash again.