Author Topic: Avira Antivirus  (Read 1783 times)

Vidya

Avira Antivirus
« on: December 07, 2019, 04:50:56 PM »
when I tried to update my Avira Antivirus, I was told I need to install the .NET Framework version.

Is this safe to install? Anyone else run into this when trying to update Avira Antivirus?

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
Re: Avira Antivirus
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 04:04:24 AM »
I'm not familiar with Avira Antivirus, but the .NET framework is a Microsoft free add-on that some programs are designed to make use of. As long as it's the real .NET framework from Microsoft, it shouldn't be dangerous.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

The following users thanked this post: Vidya

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 07:45:08 PM »
when I tried to update my Avira Antivirus, I was told I need to install the .NET Framework version.

Is this safe to install? Anyone else run into this when trying to update Avira Antivirus?
I'm not familiar with Avira Antivirus, but the .NET framework is a Microsoft free add-on that some programs are designed to make use of. As long as it's the real .NET framework from Microsoft, it shouldn't be dangerous.

.Net is part of the behind the scenes Windows. There are various levels of it, but each version of windows only comes with the parts of .net it needs to run itself.

.Net 3 (I think) is often used by developers, and has to be installed separately.

.NET isn't a problem. But Avira probably is. I've only ever used that on a computer which got very little use, and was never used for anything remotely likely to attract a virus or trojen.

Personally I don't consider Avira as adequate protection for any computer using the net on a regular basis. But that is my personal opinion.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 01:08:26 AM »
I'd never heard of it before. I do usually try to go with brands that seem to have a track record and a large user base for that kind of product.

Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Vidya

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 05:38:32 AM »
Tim, what Antivirus would you recommend? Avira was recommended to me as one of the best free Antivirus programs. Is there any free Antivirus program that does a good job?

Perhaps this should become a new thread asking for recs?

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 07:13:02 AM »
That's a good idea. People are always looking for security products, whether free or in a particular price range. We may not be able to crank out advice that will make someone a bestseller every time, but we can certainly come up with decent antivirus recommendations.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 08:16:55 AM »
Tim, what Antivirus would you recommend? Avira was recommended to me as one of the best free Antivirus programs. Is there any free Antivirus program that does a good job?

Perhaps this should become a new thread asking for recs?

I'm not Tim, but I use Windows Defender, a.k.a. Windows Security, the default thing that comes with Windows 10. 

I also use Firefox with a variety of ad blockers and security addons.  That's my first line of defense, and it keeps me from having to rely solely on Windows Security to catch stuff.

And if something does sneak past, I've got Malwarebytes ready to go.

All the stuff I mentioned is free, by the way.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Vidya

cecilia_writer

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 04:43:26 AM »
I use McAfee because it doesn't make my windows slow down as some other virus checkers have done in the past. I get annoyed with it sometimes - It doesn't like me having switched off its firewall, which conflicted with the one on our internet router, and keeps trying to trick me into switching it back on. But I suppose that's nature's way of keeping me alert.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery