Author Topic: Thoughts on promo options for backlist series  (Read 1362 times)

issy

Thoughts on promo options for backlist series
« on: January 06, 2019, 01:54:32 AM »
As the title says! I have a complete series of 8 titles that were originally in the paranormal cozy genre. As they are rather uncozy, and rely on myth retellings, I've just rebranded the covers and moved categories to a better fit. They are all $3.99 except book one, which is 99c. There are also two box sets - books 1 to 4 at $4.99 and books 5 to 8 at $5.99. They are all in KU.

I want to do some promo in February to get fresh eyes on it all. I've just restarted AMS ads and will be wading into BookBub ads next week.

But I want to utilise the KU free days or KCD and am thinking of setting some dates for a big sale, submitting to newsletter sites, and all that. What I'm stumped on, however, is the best use of free/KCD promotions.

Here are my options:

1. Put the box set of books 1-4 to free for up to five days and blast it on the promo sites, hoping it will drive sales through to the second box set or individual books.

2. Do a Kindle Countdown Deal on the box set 1-4 using promo sites again - but it's my understanding that the KCD goes as low as 99c not free - so I will need to use promo sites for the 99c section of the countdown. Benefits include - royalties, avoidance of free-mongers (the ones who horde free books but are not real fans) and a bit of Amazon exposure.

3. Ignore the box set, as that is for a different set of readers. Instead, run a free promo on book one, and set books two and three to 99c at the same time (using KCD perhaps) and again sling the promotion/newsletter blasts onto book one, as it is free.

4. Put the whole damn series on sale? At the same time? Staggered?

It is my inclination to actually try EACH OF THESE ... and compare results ... although I can only experiment every 90 days so does anyone have any insight into which option to take first?

Or burn it all to the ground and try option 5. I don't know what option 5 is. I am open to suggestions...

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
Re: Thoughts on promo options for backlist series
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 02:30:01 AM »
I don't have direct experience with this kind of situation. KCDs can still be effective, but there are so many of them on any given day that promo newsletter support is essential.

The box set for $0.99 seems like the best bargain, so it be the most attractive to prospective buyers, but, as I said, I've never tried something like that.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | Facebook author page |

The following users thanked this post: issy

C. Gockel

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 11:20:26 AM »
I wouldn't do it all at once.

I would do a free sale of Book 1 one month, maybe with a KCD on Book 2 at 99-cents, and then a Kindle Countdown deal on Box Set 1 a month to two months later.

I wouldn't do everything at once. You'll cast a wider net if you break it up. Also, the very hungry readers will pick up book 2 & 3 right away, but then you can do the KCD on the box set later and pick up those readers who are on the fence.

Are any of the other books standalones?

I write books about Change, Chaos, and Loki
C. Gockel | facebook | tumblr | website

The following users thanked this post: issy

issy

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 06:03:00 PM »
All eight books in the series can be read as standalone as there are no cliffhangers. But they are better read in order.

I'm definitely not going to do each option at the same time. I don't like the idea of having a sale on each book at the same time, either; I agree with you.

I am going to set a date in Feb to do promo. Still haven't decided whether to promo the box set (great discount, looks tempting for readers, drives traffic to books 5-8) or promo book one in the series. Ahhh decisions!

C. Gockel

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 10:46:45 PM »
Still haven't decided whether to promo the box set (great discount, looks tempting for readers, drives traffic to books 5-8) or promo book one in the series. Ahhh decisions!

It's cheaper and more effective to promote free books. But if you give away your box set you'll lose earnings on books 2 & 3.

I write books about Change, Chaos, and Loki
C. Gockel | facebook | tumblr | website