Author Topic: Do you have a YouTube channel?  (Read 3731 times)

Lorri Moulton

Do you have a YouTube channel?
« on: September 23, 2018, 07:28:24 AM »
If you do have a YouTube channel...how are you marketing it?  Looking for ideas. :icon_smile:

Mine is under Lavender Lass Books. I have some video blurbs (an experiment) book trailers and a few other videos.  Mainly use them on social media and my website.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCsLpKqLLG0P-Ofv3Pyvz1QA

« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 07:43:23 AM by Lorri Moulton »

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

The following users thanked this post: Denise, Post-Crisis D

Post-Crisis D

Re: Do you have a YouTube channel?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 08:45:42 AM »
I have three.  Or four.  One is ancient and full of videos I'd mostly rather forget.  LOL.  The others are new and I haven't done any videos yet.

One video I was going to do--and this might be something we could all do and link to each other which would be good for traffic if enough of us are willing to do this--is to read a portion of one of our novels but after it has been run through Google Translate a couple times.  I haven't recorded mine but practiced it back in July and I can get about a five minute video out of my reading.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Mark Gardner

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 08:47:18 AM »
By the way, has anyone heard from Benjamin Douglas lately?  He used to do readings of chapters by other authors on his YouTube channel and podcast, but I don't think he's done one since early this year.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: Mark Gardner

CoraBuhlert

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 08:55:24 AM »

Blog | Pegasus Pulp | Newsletter | Author Central | Twitter | Instagram
Genres: All of them, but mostly science fiction and mystery/crime

Denise

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 04:16:28 AM »
I have a Youtube channel to discuss (writing) craft, but I have no clue what I'm doing. I'll be honest. I'm still not sure exactly who I want to target, what kind of content I should focus on, etc. That said, I think that with time I'll figure it out—hopefully.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvtJUFZ6QcbOkgxX9YUrDAw

I find that networking with other author youtubers helps a lot. I should do more of that, though. I'm just...scatterbrain, but I really enjoy speaking, and... I don't know. Again, no clue what I'm doing.

Edit: about marketing. Ok, my channel is not terrible. The secret is good titles and keywords, and networking with other authors. I also did a paperback giveaway recently and one of the options was to subscribe to my Youtube channel, and that's how I got a few subs. Not sure they're my audience, though.

In order to grow I think Youtube is like indie publishing, it's a matter of pushing quality content consistently. Of course, I think it's hard to have frequent content if the channel is only for book trailers and stuff, but then it's nice because it's all for readers.

For me, vlogging is like blogging. I guess I'm dumping random stuff.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 04:27:13 AM by DayLight »

RappaDizzy

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 05:54:00 AM »
I have a Youtube channel but I never really did much with it - I think it's still there.  :icon_think: I never found it useful. Doing videos on writing craft does seem to work the best but that will probably attract other writers & not necessarily readers. If I'm looking for a book I never think of looking at Youtube or a trailer at all. If you do a search for the top one hundred most viewed it's almost all songs - remember Gangnam Style? Crazy cat videos, makeup or jumping off your roof or some other dumbass thing seems to work. Maybe jump off your roof into a tub of jello while holding your book? I would like to see Dan or maybe Cora do that. grint

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 06:55:26 AM »
By the way, has anyone heard from Benjamin Douglas lately?  He used to do readings of chapters by other authors on his YouTube channel and podcast, but I don't think he's done one since early this year.

He still uses Twitter, but that's the only place on the internet I've seen any activity from him.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Mark Gardner

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 07:53:39 AM »
I don't market my youtube channel, but I do have book trailers, readings, etc:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSF-FbtKtXrJCLMML9Cccfw

Maybe that's why I only have 4 subscribers...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 12:38:13 AM by Article94 »

Lady T L Jennings

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 10:20:01 PM »
I’ve a youtube channel called My Secret Quill with a book trailer that I did ages ago and a book cover video.
I’m currently making a new book trailer for my Gay Victorian novelette collections with clips from Winchester that me and a friend filmed together when we were there last autumn to visit the Jane Austen Museum. :-)

I’ve toyed with the idea of making various Photoshop book covers tutorials in the future, but I need more time on my hands for that to happen…
Lady T. L. Jennings ~ Writing Victorian Romance and ohlala in longhand since 2011. Visit her at: www.mysecretquill.com

The Dangerous Letters Trilogy ~ Gay Historical Romance

Authoress

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 12:53:30 AM »
my YouTube trailers https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjBbZppKT2ul7qKnRkdTYbA

I don't really market it but happy to add a link wherever & whenever anyone presents the opportunity for me to do so  grint

The following users thanked this post: Denise

Travelian

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 05:52:11 PM »
Not sure I can call it a channel with just one video. It was fun making the trailer, even if I didn't know what I was doing.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC40bl88YJxgktbYxN8PXoqA

The following users thanked this post: Denise

OfficialEthanJ

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2018, 05:11:07 AM »
I'm gearing up to launch my YT channel in January (thus no link, boo). I've been doing my homework as to what other indie authors do with YouTube and how/if it makes sense for me to play along. I *believe* I have a decent plan in place, now I just need to film the episodes. I'm very interested in getting the word out about my books any which way I can, short of those annoying pop-under ads like the X-10 camera or whatever back in the day.

Denise

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2018, 03:48:27 AM »
It's funny to go back to this thread. I quit my " Authortube" channel.

It sounds silly, but the fact is that those channels get very few views, and I don't think they'll help sell books.

I participate in another YT channel on pop culture, and the least popular videos get 1000 views. When we record a topic we know is not very popular, say "nobody will watch it", meaning 1k views...  But for authortube, few channels reach 1000 views/video. So if you want to do it, you have to do it cause you really like it. I do like it, but I can only do a certain amount of things per day, and I need the time to write... I came to the conclusion it was not worth it. 

That said, I'll keep my channel just to talk about my books, and I'll have videos to go with book launches (I'm projecting some 50 views  :icon_rolleyes:). I'll see if it does anything. Maybe it doesn't.

I wrote before that Youtube is like indie publishing. If you put quality content consistently, your channel grows. That said, it's also like indie publishing in the sense that you need to write/youtube to market. Authortube is not a good market. Booktube could be good, though, but you need to review books.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 03:52:44 AM by Denise »

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2018, 06:05:13 AM »
I have one, but it's aimed more at my art than at my writing. I haven't done much with it in the past few months and that's going to change. I need to get back to the easel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVLwN97J6KTZ9sTZDejICRg?view_as=subscriber
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

OfficialEthanJ

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2019, 02:31:16 AM »
Now I can answer in the affirmative: Yes, I have a YouTube channel!

Nay, a mere video. Oh well, everybody starts somewhere.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2019, 02:38:26 AM »
I have one I haven't posted anything new to in a long time. I used to be more active.

Ironically, a video I threw together in a short time for a friend and figured I might as well put up on YouTube--how to use CreateSpace cover templates--got a fair number of views. The others got views mostly when I ran an ad campaign using them. (I don't know if Google still does this, but it used to have some interesting ad options. including extremely granular geographic targeting down to the zip code level. I used that with some success to target a book video at the area in which the book was set.)

Making book videos is fun, but in most cases, it doesn't sell many (or any) books, at least not as far as I can tell.

I haven't bothered much with FB video, but I have gotten a fair number of views on YouTube video lengths on FB. Again, I'm not sure how many books that approach moves.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | Facebook author page |