Author Topic: Something out of comfort zone...  (Read 481 times)

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
Something out of comfort zone...
« on: November 13, 2022, 01:42:09 AM »
Friends,

Background: I adapted a six episode screenplay to a 296 page, 31k word, novella. 

I am unsure how to market the results.  Why? The story is hard and contains nuanced references to abuse.

Working Blurb: After decades of searching, unable to find his prey, a demoralized vigilante discovers he can track the people he hunts through their social media history. He finds the people who inflicted the suffering he witnessed as a child. A complication of leaving a seventeen-year-old girl orphaned changes his thinking.

The Vibe: A British Crime Drama meets The Blacklist with a touch of Dexter, without the plastic sheeting.

Question: What advice would you give yourself if you were about publishing your first "over 18" / "parental guidance suggested" novella?

Cheers,
R.C.

idontknowyet

Re: Something out of comfort zone...
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2022, 05:30:09 AM »
If it follows a screenplay pattern you might think about putting it into vella and continuing it as a longer series.

Advertising is all about setting expectations. Make sure your blurb sets the ton that this is a gritty book filled with hard topics your cover should reflect that too if you publish it as a novella

The following users thanked this post: R. C.

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2022, 07:16:50 AM »
If it follows a screenplay pattern you might think about putting it into vella and continuing it as a longer series.

Advertising is all about setting expectations. Make sure your blurb sets the ton that this is a gritty book filled with hard topics your cover should reflect that too if you publish it as a novella

Vella... This might just be something that triggers Vella success. Hard. Gritty. Nuanced Sex. Hints to LGBTQ.  Something to consider.

Thanks!

R.C.

alhawke

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2022, 07:29:13 AM »
Background: I adapted a six episode screenplay to a 296 page, 31k word, novella. 
I agree. It sounds like you already have it in sections, perfect for Vella: "six episode".

The following users thanked this post: R. C.