Author Topic: Reddit ADs - Yea or Nay  (Read 1798 times)

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
Reddit ADs - Yea or Nay
« on: October 20, 2018, 07:01:10 AM »
Just looking for basic input.

Is Reddit a place for a self-publisher to advertise?  Anyone care to share actual experience, successes, failures, with Reddit ADs? 

UPDATE: 19-Oct 15:37 MT

Google is your friend... There appears to be a grown body of data indicating Reddit ADs are viable and cost effective. 

I jumped in a with a four day, limited dollar per day, global AD.   After setting up the Campaign, the AD Group, and the AD, the reporting interface looks a LOT like FB's interface. 

I will have results soon... I hope...  Well maybe... Who knows...

UPDATE: 22-Oct 09:23 MT

ADS Name    The Find - Free 
Status          Active
Impressions  24.9k
Clicks           77
Spend          $12.4
eCPM           $0.500
CTR             .309%
CPC             $0.16

Duration of run: Two days (Sat & Sun). 

Cheers,
Ruairi
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 01:24:33 AM by Ruairi »

The following users thanked this post: Denise

Shoe

Re: Reddit ADs - Yea or Nay
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 07:07:03 AM »
No actual experience advertising there nor would I consider it unless someone pops in here with a success story.

Even if someone does, I think their audience skews very young. That wouldn't work for me, while it might work very well for someone else.

I'm sure there's a Reddit on Reddit advertising. They've got a Reddit for everything else under the sun.
Martin Luther King: "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

The following users thanked this post: R. C.

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 07:14:42 AM »
No actual experience advertising there nor would I consider it unless someone pops in here with a success story.

Even if someone does, I think their audience skews very young. That wouldn't work for me, while it might work very well for someone else.

I'm sure there's a Reddit on Reddit advertising. They've got a Reddit for everything else under the sun.

There sure is a Reddit for advertising: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/redditads/
https://ads.reddit.com/

Cheers,
Ruairi

guest819

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 06:58:27 PM »
They have very active genre groups and you can get away with quite a lot of self promotion in there so long as you don't spam. I've had some extremely responsive situations and never been told to take it to the advertising. That said, I never saw any while on the threads so I cannot say if they work or not. It might be better to get in there on a personal level, like on Goodreads, and develop a following which might be more effective and zero cost. I've found them to be very inter-active on that level.

Lu Kudzoza

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 02:00:20 AM »
I've used reddit ads and they convert at the same rate as Facebook ads. However, in the past year they changed their cost for 1000 impressions from .20 to .50. When that happened the CPC went up by about 5 times (instead of the 2.5 times that would be expected). That made them not worth it.

Also, be aware that reddit is a totally different community than FB so ads that work on FB may not work at all on reddit (and you may get flamed with the wrong type of ad).