Author Topic: book giveaways  (Read 1508 times)

mike herman

book giveaways
« on: January 07, 2019, 05:14:19 AM »
I was contemplating, today all the thousands of copies of books I have given away and it struck me that I can count on one hand, the number of times a reader has actually said, "Thank you." In fact, what I have encountered is righteous and indignant anger from readers in the few instances when they had a problem getting the free copy. I've always responded courteously and apologized for any inconvenience but not one "thank you" from them. It's as if free copies are so prevalent that they are now a right that is not to be denied.
My wife knows people who NEVER purchase books but simply pile up the free ones and live with those, sometimes never reading many of them because they have so many.
I realize its just part of the business we have to live with but it says so much about people in general.
Just a thought.

Lorri Moulton

Re: book giveaways
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 05:32:38 AM »
I have readers thank me all the time.  Most of my contact with them is on social media, Facebook sites, etc.  Maybe they're more interactive? 

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

mike herman

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 05:42:40 AM »
I have readers thank me all the time.  Most of my contact with them is on social media, Facebook sites, etc.  Maybe they're more interactive?
Being part of the Sweet Romance Facebook page you are part of probably explains some of that. Nice work.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, idontknowyet

cecilia_writer

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 06:07:19 AM »
My regular readers are embarrassingly grateful for everything! I do give quite a lot of ebooks away, as I've had a permafree available for years, but I don't think I've encountered anger, apart from one reviewer who took exception to the heroine being a mathematician!
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

mike herman

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 06:31:56 AM »
My regular readers are embarrassingly grateful for everything! I do give quite a lot of ebooks away, as I've had a permafree available for years, but I don't think I've encountered anger, apart from one reviewer who took exception to the heroine being a mathematician!
Possibly their gratefulness has something to do with elephants? Just a guess.

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet