Author Topic: Check your paperbacks  (Read 1620 times)

spin52

Check your paperbacks
« on: March 03, 2019, 02:12:45 AM »
I just ordered two copies of my most recent paperback. One was fine; the other was missing the last five pages. I contacted Amazon immediately and was promised a replacement, but I hope no one else received the same kind of defective copy. So don't assume that because one book in the order is OK, that all of them are!

Traditional mysteries with a dash of humor -- no cats, no cupcakes, no covens.

Phronk

Re: Check your paperbacks
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 12:30:40 AM »
Yikes.

I once had a paperback that had someone else's marijuana cookbook replacing pages of my novel in the middle of it. While I appreciated the recipes, I was concerned that real buyers would get the same thing instead of my novel. Createspace support assured me that it was a one-off occurrence, but I guess we can never be completely sure that every copy is going to be printed correctly.

The following users thanked this post: DmGuay

spin52

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 03:04:42 AM »
I got the replacement copy, and it had the missing pages restored. I think I'd rather have something missing than marijuana recipes inserted, but still you'd think someone might have noticed the last page ended in the middle of a sentence.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 04:49:18 AM »
I got the replacement copy, and it had the missing pages restored. I think I'd rather have something missing than marijuana recipes inserted, but still you'd think someone might have noticed the last page ended in the middle of a sentence.
I don't think a human checks each copy that prints.

From another thread, I learned that printing errors of this kind happen even in trad pub. I've also occasionally bought books with pages out of order or missing.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

oganalp

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 05:14:57 AM »

...From another thread, I learned that printing errors of this kind happen even in trad pub. I've also occasionally bought books with pages out of order or missing.

I once had a book of 600+ empty pages. It happens. And that one was "human checked."

spin52

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 07:16:01 AM »
I don't think a human checks each copy that prints.

From another thread, I learned that printing errors of this kind happen even in trad pub. I've also occasionally bought books with pages out of order or missing.
I'm sure you're right about humans not checking. I just thought perhaps someone/thing would have realized one copy had fewer pages than the other. Ah, well.