Author Topic: On Writing Daily  (Read 2456 times)

Vijaya

On Writing Daily
« on: January 09, 2021, 05:50:52 AM »
I came across this wonderful article on the value of writing daily: https://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2021/01/73014/

"If you want scholarly productivity, write every working day."

"Avoid perfectionism in writing. Jean Porter taught her students the motto, “when in doubt, send it out.” If your work is accepted, great, you’ve got a publication. If your work is not accepted, then you’ve got some feedback that perhaps can spur you to polish your piece. John Haldane compared writing an essay to sketching a portrait. You can always make another and maybe better sketch later, so there is no need to be excessively fussy about the current work. If you think you are writing the next Summa Theologiae that scholars will still analyze 700 years after your death, think again. Do the best work you can at that time, given the circumstances. “Done is better than perfect,” as Sheryl Sandberg noted."

Happy reading and writing.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

The following users thanked this post: PJ Post, Anarchist, RiverRun

LilyBLily

Re: On Writing Daily
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 07:13:48 AM »
We write every day when we post our thoughts on sites such as this. In fact, such postings are competition to our novel writing and much the same: mostly a one-way communication. When I removed my posts from KBoards after the change in ownership, I saw exactly how much I pontificated on a daily basis instead of writing my own novels and keeping my own counsel. But what is the point of writing if not to communicate?
 :icon_think:

Anarchist

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 10:15:09 AM »
I'm a big believer in this.

I'll occasionally go through my books and think, "Geez, that could've been written a lot better." lol

But three of my books have spent time in the Top 100 paid (U.S. site). No Bookbub, no discount, no launch. And most of my other books do pretty well, too.

Most humans are their own worst critics. It pays (both financially and emotionally) to ship, even when the product isn't perfect.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, sliderule

Vijaya

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 01:41:43 AM »
Lily, sometimes I think that the letters I write to people might be the most important writing I do.

Anarchist, it's wonderful to hear how well your books do. I read once not to let perfection be the enemy of the good and it resonates.

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist

Anarchist

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 02:25:10 AM »
Anarchist, it's wonderful to hear how well your books do. I read once not to let perfection be the enemy of the good and it resonates.

Thanks.

And I love the idea of not allowing perfection be the enemy of the good. It has informed my personal code of conduct all my life. :)
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

DmGuay

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 12:00:31 AM »
I'm trying to write every day, even with the chaos that is pandemic life. Trying so so SO hard, even if I have to wake up at the butt crack of dawn to get a moment of uninterrupted time.

I admit sometimes it hangs over me, like a burden.

But I did notice when I removed the arbitrary word count goal I had set for myself (1000 words a day) and instead said, just write as much as you can, I managed to hit closer or above 1000 words moreso than I did before I tried to force it!

D.M. Guay | Web site

The following users thanked this post: notthatamanda

notthatamanda

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 12:09:25 AM »
I know that when I write I will actually from giving myself a break from all the stress but I still have to fight with myself to do it. I'm my own worst enemy. Still not writing on weekends though I should. I'll make myself set up a blog post now, thanks to you Dm. "How to make hair scrunchies" Thanks.

Gerri Attrick

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 04:28:19 AM »
I set no targets for a daily word count, though I do try to write something - though I often fall by the wayside. This is more due to idleness and procrastination than anything else.

However, I lost my mum to the coronavirus on Monday morning, 4th Jan, and I've barely written a word since.

I can't see my writing any great amount now until after the funeral - 28th Jan. I sincerely hope that brings a sense of closure, and I can pick up the reins of my own life again after that date.

notthatamanda

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2021, 04:53:10 AM »
I'm so sorry Gerri. Much condolences.

The following users thanked this post: Gerri Attrick

Lynn

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2021, 04:58:19 AM »
I aspire to write every day and have managed several long streaks of doing that over the years, but it's never really stuck. I just get up one day and don't do it and I can never say why I stopped, other than feeling like I've got a straitjacket on and needing to break free. So I do. Then I go long periods of time without writing before something happens and I start writing every day again for another long streak.

I wish it weren't so. I would love to be more habitual about writing, but the truth is, I'm not that way about anything in my life really, so is it any surprise I can't make it work with writing either?

:)

However, I lost my mum to the coronavirus on Monday morning, 4th Jan, and I've barely written a word since.

I can't see my writing any great amount now until after the funeral - 28th Jan. I sincerely hope that brings a sense of closure, and I can pick up the reins of my own life again after that date.

So sorry to hear that. My condolences.
Don't rush me.

cecilia_writer

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2021, 05:30:15 AM »
I set no targets for a daily word count, though I do try to write something - though I often fall by the wayside. This is more due to idleness and procrastination than anything else.

Oh no!  how awful. I think you're right not to put any extra pressure on yourself just now.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

Vijaya

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2021, 06:48:11 AM »

I'm so sorry. Prayers ascending.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2021, 07:13:25 AM »
How terrible for your mum and your family. I hope she didn't suffer too long.

LilyBLily

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2021, 08:52:56 AM »
I'm so sorry for your loss. Do not pressure yourself to write at this time. Be kind to yourself in all things.

RiverRun

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2021, 04:35:52 AM »
I'm sorry, Gerri.

Gerri Attrick

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2021, 05:10:03 AM »
Thanks, everyone. Thanks for the kind words. The funeral is two weeks today. There's been a lot to sort out, and then we'll have to sell her bungalow, and get probate.

It's all very time consuming, and I just want to sleep until it's all over, though there's fat chance of that.

alhawke

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2021, 03:24:44 PM »
I write sporadically. I spend time editing or writing a couple hours a day, but I don't follow a rule of having to write. Sometimes it doesn't seem natural for me and I feel like I'm forcing it. So a day or two without writing doesn't bother me. But I'm not into set things for anything. That's just me. It's like how I'm a pantser with plotting.
We write every day when we post our thoughts on sites such as this.
Maybe that's why I like joining these threads??

alhawke

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2021, 03:27:45 PM »
Gerri, so sorry about your mom.

Vidya

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2021, 06:13:26 PM »
I'm so sorry, Gerri. My condolences.