Author Topic: Zombie-able offenses.  (Read 5055 times)

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Zombie-able offenses.
« on: October 17, 2019, 12:56:56 AM »
The following are grounds for a post or group of posts to be zombied (split off and moved to the Zombie opt-in area).

As of 20 Sep 2020, the Zombie area is no longer readable.

- Attacking a member.

- Disrespecting a member.

- Swearing AT someone (as apposed to just making a swearword comment).

- Making a confusing statement, not clarifying it as asked, and then telling someone there is no point in clarifying it because they wont understand anyway. (This behavior is about making someone look stupid, and won't be tolerated.) The entire exchange of posts will be zombied.

- Deliberate hijacking of threads to ensure the original topic will be derailed, may be zombied at Admin discretion, if deemed not worth splitting off as a separate thread. Hijacking to shut down any topic will not be tolerated.

- Politics, including mentions, links to anything containing politics, links to politically active sites, political videos, political quotes, or just introducing politics into any non-political discussion. (Mentioning what governments are doing can be done as long as the politics is left out.)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 11:01:37 PM by TimothyEllis »
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: Zombie-able offenses.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 01:01:08 AM »
If anyone wants to add any, suggest here.

We had a 'make look stupid' moment today, and it got zombied. It made me think we needed an actual statement about what is zombie level behavior.

Fortunately we don't get a lot of moderation required moments here, but I have my lines, and I am drawing them.

:tap
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

David VanDyke

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Full-time hybrid author and curmudgeon
    • David VanDyke's Author Website
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 03:17:56 AM »
While I don't disagree with any specific detail, it's wise to remember that this is standard progression for any governing/modding/controlling entity in any arena: expanding the specific offenses, constantly defining new ones, making new rules that were only principles before--the expansion of regulation in an attempt to improve the situation. Many times, the new rules are unnecessary, and in the long run, counterproductive.

For example, the "swearing at someone" is clearly part of the "attacking someone" principle. So, no need to make that rule. In fact, making it opens up the situation to hairsplitting from those that love to push the rules and ignore principles. Juvenile and criminal minds love rules and hate principles.

"Disrespecting" is also very vague. One man's disrespect is another's debate. Disrespect would have to be very clear and deliberate to get modded, I hope--which IMO ends up back at "attacking someone" anyway.

The whole "making a confusing statement" is even more vague and subjective and is starting down the road to unmanageable arbitrariness.

It would be better to stick closely to clear but flexible principles rather than "rules." Principles such as (just examples, not a comprehensive list):

Be polite.
Be professional.
Don't do it if you wouldn't do it with your mother in the room.
Don't be evil.
Attack ideas always, behavior sometimes, people never.

One of my favorites, from 20Books: Don't be prescriptive. (This means, don't try to tell people they MUST do something any one way. There are many ways to do things).

« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 03:22:18 AM by David VanDyke »
Never listen to people with no skin in the game.

I'm a lucky guy. I find the harder I work, the luckier I am.

Those who prefer their English sloppy have only themselves to thank if the advertisement writer uses his mastery of the vocabulary and syntax to mislead their weak minds.

~ Dorothy L. Sayers

The following users thanked this post: DrewMcGunn, Thorvald Meyers

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 02:38:37 AM »
While I don't disagree with any specific detail, it's wise to remember that this is standard progression for any governing/modding/controlling entity in any arena: expanding the specific offenses, constantly defining new ones, making new rules that were only principles before--the expansion of regulation in an attempt to improve the situation. Many times, the new rules are unnecessary, and in the long run, counterproductive.

For example, the "swearing at someone" is clearly part of the "attacking someone" principle. So, no need to make that rule. In fact, making it opens up the situation to hairsplitting from those that love to push the rules and ignore principles. Juvenile and criminal minds love rules and hate principles.

"Disrespecting" is also very vague. One man's disrespect is another's debate. Disrespect would have to be very clear and deliberate to get modded, I hope--which IMO ends up back at "attacking someone" anyway.

The whole "making a confusing statement" is even more vague and subjective and is starting down the road to unmanageable arbitrariness.

It would be better to stick closely to clear but flexible principles rather than "rules." Principles such as (just examples, not a comprehensive list):

Be polite.
Be professional.
Don't do it if you wouldn't do it with your mother in the room.
Don't be evil.
Attack ideas always, behavior sometimes, people never.

One of my favorites, from 20Books: Don't be prescriptive. (This means, don't try to tell people they MUST do something any one way. There are many ways to do things).
The whole area is tricky. Yes, rules can be vague, but so can general principles. That's one of the things I learned dealing with high school students for 36 years--particularly high school students whose parents were lawyers. I actually had fewer problems the more specific I made my guidelines.

I'm inclined to think the best system is one that rests on general principles but also includes examples to illustrate how the principles work in practice. The "including, but not limited to" kind of list is used so often because it's a good method.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

The following users thanked this post: Thorvald Meyers