Author Topic: US Health Insurance - Options Other than ACA Marketplace/Employer?  (Read 1699 times)

AmHere

For folks in the US, do you know of any organizations for self employed/writers/freelancers that have health insurance as a member benefit?

Does anyone know of any options other than the ACA marketplace and Employer provided health insurance?

Thank you.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 11:03:26 PM by AmHere »

She-la-te-da

Re: US Health Insurance - Options Other than ACA Marketplace/Employer?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 01:36:42 AM »
You could look into NINC, ALLI (I think that's the acronym), and professional orgs like SFWA, HWA, RWA. They may not actually provide insurance, but may have a way to get in under a group rate thing.
I write various flavors of speculative fiction. This is my main pen name.

The following users thanked this post: AmHere

Rosie Scott

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 04:12:11 AM »
I don't know if this will help you, but there are a few options I know of for people with no health insurance. I went without for years because ACA was too expensive and the previous plan that I loved was no longer offered under it. The FMMA has a search for medical providers who accept patients without insurance for rates that are much lower than usual, and they list their prices like a marketplace so you know your medical costs in advance. Their website is fmma.org. There are some doctors near me who offer vastly reduced rates for a monthly fee (you can pay $50 per month, for example, and get most of your exams/tests/procedures done for no further costs). This seems to be a fairly new concept, so it might not be offered everywhere. Lastly, I also highly recommend CareCredit. You can put medical costs from a variety of medical providers on it (it includes dental and most veterinarians too) and you have 6 months to a year to pay it off without any interest.

I'm sorry that these aren't technically insurance options, but they've worked for me when no insurance was affordable. Hopefully this helps someone. Good luck.  :mhk9U91:

Fantasy/sci-fi. Writer of bloody warfare & witty banter. Provoker of questions.
Rosie Scott | Website | Release Mailing List

The following users thanked this post: prolificwriter, AmHere

AmHere

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2018, 05:36:06 AM »
Thank you She-la-te-da and Rosie. I didn't know about FMMA or CareCredit - thank you for posting about them.

ilamont

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 07:29:48 AM »
See what's offered by the Freelancers' Union:

https://www.freelancersunion.org/health/
I am the author of Lean Media: How to focus creativity, streamline production, and create media that audiences love. Lean Media website, Lean Media blog. I am also the publisher of IN 30 MINUTES guides.

Follow me on Twitter at @ilamont.

BillSmithBooksDotCom

• Blurb unlocked
  • Bill Smith, author of the Outlaw Galaxy series.
    • BillSmithBooks.com
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 10:27:27 PM »
I have read that most colleges offer health insurance plans for currently enrolled students -- some offer family plans, if needed. You need not be full time, either -- just taking one course qualifies you. (Just auditing a course might work -- the nice thing about auditing is that it is often quite a bit cheaper and there is no grading -- you are paying to be able to attend the class, how much of the work you actually want to do is entirely up to you.) Depending upon the college, the savings over buying on the ACA open market may be substantial.

Sometimes you really have to look around on the website to find the rates -- you might be better off inquiring directly with the college to get this info.

Plus the best part is, you should be able to find _something_ that you are interested in.
Bill Smith is the author of the Outlaw Galaxy series of space adventure novels and several Star Wars books. Found at all major retailers as well as at www.BillSmithBooks.com or www.OutlawGalaxy.com. Bill blogs at www.BillSmithBlog.com. Get the Outlaw Galaxy: Little Wind and Other Tales short story collection FREE at all major retailers.

AmHere

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 11:23:49 PM »
I have read that most colleges offer health insurance plans for currently enrolled students...  just taking one course qualifies you

Thank You! Lots of colleges around.