Author Topic: Amazon's not the only one with scammer problems...  (Read 2154 times)

David VanDyke

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Full-time hybrid author and curmudgeon
    • David VanDyke's Author Website
Never listen to people with no skin in the game.

I'm a lucky guy. I find the harder I work, the luckier I am.

Those who prefer their English sloppy have only themselves to thank if the advertisement writer uses his mastery of the vocabulary and syntax to mislead their weak minds.

~ Dorothy L. Sayers

R H Auslander

Re: Amazon's not the only one with scammer problems...
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 10:25:39 PM »
Which is why I don't have an Eye Phone. My cell phone is so old it has 'Property of the Ark' stenciled on it. Works just fine. On both computers in the digs, Kaspersky's finest is working along with two other anti virus systems.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 10:47:59 PM »
Google ads must have a significant problem as well.

You only need to look at KB now, to see the bot activity, generating ad money where no people actually see an ad.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Edward M. Grant

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 02:23:57 AM »
Subscriptions are wrecking everything, not just the ebook market.

The following users thanked this post: She-la-te-da, ragdoll

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 06:26:44 AM »
You only need to look at KB now, to see the bot activity, generating ad money where no people actually see an ad.

Can you expound on what you mean by this?  I use ad blockers, so I don't see the stuff that others see.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

catowned

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 06:54:16 AM »
I didn't/don't see stuff other than ads on my laptop, but I saw extraneous links on my phone.

Tim, if you're looking at kb and can check. Does sending a pm still invite a sql injection attack? I'd like to send a pm, but that was a problem recently and there's no word on a fix.

guest642

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 09:26:26 AM »

Can you expound on what you mean by this?  I use ad blockers, so I don't see the stuff that others see.

I turned on Adblock for KB the second day I joined. Normally, when I visit a site that doesn't try to destroy my soul with ads, I leave Adblock off. This forum, for instance. Even if Timothy were to put ads on here, as long as it's not absolutely plastered all over the place, I would still leave Adblock off.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 10:45:52 AM »

Last time I looked, KB had over 500 guests. I wasn't logged in for once, and saw the total wasteland the guest display is, with ads every other other post. Either that's 500 insane people reading the forum, or its 450+ bots.

Tim, if you're looking at kb and can check. Does sending a pm still invite a sql injection attack? I'd like to send a pm, but that was a problem recently and there's no word on a fix.

I've not sent one there in a week or 2 or 3, so haven't seen this. Not even sure what a sql injection attack is.

This forum, for instance. Even if Timothy were to put ads on here, as long as it's not absolutely plastered all over the place, I would still leave Adblock off.

The only ads likely to be here in the future, are in-house ads. I've had cover designers ask for ad space for example. Its on the list. But there will never be any external ads here.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: Jeff Tanyard, Ellie Drake

catowned

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 11:07:28 AM »
Tim, sql injection can infect the input fields on a site, and then infect or acquire data from an unsuspecting poster's computer.
It's not a problem here or you'd hear squawking.
I went to kb to pm to someone I can't otherwise contact. Oh well.

In-house cover designer ads here could be appealing.