Author Topic: Your industry predictions for 2020?  (Read 9927 times)

Joe Vasicek

Your industry predictions for 2020?
« on: December 26, 2019, 06:51:02 AM »
What are your predictions for the publishing industry in the coming year? How do you think things will change, and how will it impact us writers?

lea_owens

Re: Your industry predictions for 2020?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 07:49:18 AM »
I predict continued polarisation of the publishing industry, as with just about everything else, from politics and religion to the weather.

I think indies who are already published and who have an established following of readers, will continue to grow and do well if they continue to turn out quality books that are enjoyable to read. On the other hand, I think it will be far more difficult for most indies starting out with their first novel to break into good sales because it is a massive ocean of 'first novel authors' and it is so polluted with crappy writers and bloody-awful novels and padded rubbish (save me from that extra line between paragraphs and padded conversation with action tags on one line and the conversation that goes with it on a new line) that it is harder than ever to get noticed amongst the rubbish. There will always be exceptions, though.

For traditional publishers, they will rely more and more on their established commercial names for their sales, so we'll see more and more ghost writers turning out novels in-the-style-of and released under the name of their big commercial names. On the other hand for the trad pubs, we'll see fewer first time authors given a chance. I think they will start looking for indies who are doing well and will start trying to convince them of the benefits of traditional publishing... unfortunately, for the tradpubs, most indies who are doing well know they are better off to grow their income as indies so won't sign. There will always be exceptions, though.

There will be more and more 'alternatives to Amazon' come and go, but some will start to stick as they get the formula right and learn from why others failed. Amazon is beginning to respond to the market like a giant oil tanker heading into shallow water and needing to turn a bit to starboard, but I do think it will need to become proactive in sorting the crappy books they allow people to publish - people who struggle with basic English skills - from the books that are well written and could have a chance at sales. At present, they have a massive market of buyers that would buy/read more indies if the overall standard of indie offerings was cleaned up for those buyers. Too many potential buyers are avoiding indie books because we are all tarnished by the huge mass of rubbish indie books that should never be seen by them. I know the review system and 'read inside' is supposed to help sort the books, but it's not enough. Sooner or later, to keep their great indies staying with them rather than moving to companies who vet their offerings, they will need something like 'tiered publishing' where every book published passes through an autobot drafting system. Books that have too many formatting errors, too many spelling mistakes and grammatical problems still get published, but go into the pool of books that is never shown to the general reading public. The authors of those books can still get their family and friends to buy by giving them the link to their book, but they aren't accepted for AA marketing (they usually don't pay for that anyway) and they don't have sales ranks until they edit properly and provide a book that at least looks decent. The books that pass the automatic checks go into the pool of books that general readers can find, and then the review and sales system have them rise up the ranks. That would help the better Amazon indies and Amazon itself. But it's not a prediction for 2020, just something that should be done.

So - continued polarisation with exceptions, and an awakening of Amazon to the fact that indies who write well will continue to seek better outlets where they aren't thrown into a sea filled with crap.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 07:52:43 AM by lea_owens »

The following users thanked this post: alyson

Shoe

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 08:19:59 AM »
My prediction? Hell if I know.

According to this blogger, e-reader sales are declining, audio will surpass ebooks, literary fiction will continue to decline, self-publishing will grow... Well, just read the blog post if you want:

https://blog.submittable.com/publishing-industry-trends/
Martin Luther King: "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 09:20:36 AM »
My prediction? Hell if I know.

According to this blogger, e-reader sales are declining, audio will surpass ebooks, literary fiction will continue to decline, self-publishing will grow... Well, just read the blog post if you want:

https://blog.submittable.com/publishing-industry-trends/
It's interesting, but the charts don't all use the same metrics. For instance, the fiction vs. nonfiction comparison uses revenue. The format comparisons use polling data and percentages of readers. Some of the genre comparisons used National Endowment of the Arts data that come from, well, somewhere, but it's clear where.

I was amused by the notion that self publishing offers a great place for trad publishers to acquire titles that had already shown they could perform. While that does happen, I've run across a lot of writers that turned down trad publishing offers. What seems to happen is that the trads wait until someone is very successful, then make an offer that would cause the author to lose money. A few may really want the trad pub pat on the head, but many want better offers than the trads seem willing to give. Maybe that will change.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Arches

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 10:44:59 AM »
My prediction is that the glut of first-time authors will continue indefinitely. At the moment, there are about four million eighteen-year-old's in the US alone, and I imagine that quite a few of them aspire to be the great American novelist. OIf course, that doesn't include everyone from other English-speaking countries or those who are slightly older or younger. That's quite a pool of new talent coming on year after year.

The bottom line is that fiction writing is a business with almost no barriers to entry, and the cost of publishing the book of one's heart is amazingly low these days. Why shouldn't they give it a go?

VisitasKeat

• Short Novel unlocked
  • Following my characters. Wherever they take me.
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2019, 01:41:37 AM »
Only those who are really in love with writing and publishing books would have the courage to weather sales droughts and the pay2play scenario. They are the only ones who would persist. Many thousands of authors would quit indie publishing as there doesn't seem to be any goldrush year(s) down the line.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2019, 02:08:32 AM »
If Amazon can develop an AI which can write novels, they won't need all those pesky authors and their 70% cut of the lovely lovely profits.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2019, 02:26:14 AM »
Only those who are really in love with writing and publishing books would have the courage to weather sales droughts and the pay2play scenario. They are the only ones who would persist. Many thousands of authors would quit indie publishing as there doesn't seem to be any goldrush year(s) down the line.
I think that's already been happening. Many of the folks who started about the same time I did (2012) seem to be no longer active. The old books may stay up, but with no marketing behind them and no new books coming out, they will soon be invisible to anyone who isn't looking specifically for them. I suspect the rate at which people bail out will increase.

While I agree with Arches that there is nothing stopping people from giving it a go, whether they stay long or not is a very different issue.

Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Rosie Scott, Kristen.s.walker

Arches

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2019, 05:33:37 AM »
I think that's already been happening. Many of the folks who started about the same time I did (2012) seem to be no longer active. The old books may stay up, but with no marketing behind them and no new books coming out, they will soon be invisible to anyone who isn't looking specifically for them. I suspect the rate at which people bail out will increase.

While I agree with Arches that there is nothing stopping people from giving it a go, whether they stay long or not is a very different issue.

Bill seems to be right that many of the old-timers (from way back in 2012!) have left, and many more will probably leave soon because there is a glut of self-published authors these days. The question is whether that glut will continue. My guess is that yes, the number of self-published authors actively publishing will continue at the current level. In fact, I think the influx of newcomers with big dreams will more than offset the number of existing self-published authors who give up. Dreams die hard.

The following users thanked this post: Rosie Scott, alyson

Lynn

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2019, 06:49:55 AM »

I think this is overblown to some extent. A lot of people used those first successes and failures to hone their strategies and came back under other names. Linking those names oftentimes defeats the purpose of taking a new pen name, so it doesn't happen. There are plenty of new authors who are really old hands at publishing. That's the kind of thing that's gone on in print publishing from almost the beginning and is happening in indie publishing, too.
Don't rush me.

Shoe

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2019, 08:47:59 AM »
My prediction is that the glut of first-time authors will continue indefinitely. At the moment, there are about four million eighteen-year-old's in the US alone, and I imagine that quite a few of them aspire to be the great American novelist.

If they're all great writers and savvy marketers, there may be cause for concern. I'm no expert, but I strongly doubt the bulk of those eighteen-year-olds are headed for literary fame and fortune. I'm not saying I hope they all fail miserably as that would be rude. I'm saying most will fail miserably because that's the nature of self-publishing.

However, assuming the worst, even if a million new indies arrive in 2020, the game will remain in the sub 500k rankings. It will therefore be in our collective interest to keep mum on AMS. We don't want them bidding up our CPCs.

A big increase in content mills could affect a few of the popular genres. I know they're already a factor in romance, with many saying they're having a negative impact on solo indie's ranks.

Martin Luther King: "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

angela

• Short Novel unlocked
  • Indie publishing since 2011. Still kickin'.
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2019, 09:57:22 AM »

I think this is overblown to some extent. A lot of people used those first successes and failures to hone their strategies and came back under other names. Linking those names oftentimes defeats the purpose of taking a new pen name, so it doesn't happen. There are plenty of new authors who are really old hands at publishing. That's the kind of thing that's gone on in print publishing from almost the beginning and is happening in indie publishing, too.

Yep. There have been some burnouts, sure, but a lot of people are still going under other names.

My 2020 prediction is more big long series and higher pay to play.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 09:59:24 AM by angelapepper »

ashleycapes

• Short Novel unlocked
  • My neighbors think my name is Emily Goldfinch
    • Website
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2019, 11:38:47 AM »
Like many folks have already, I guess I predict that being priced out of things like AMS will become even more common.

I wonder how much that/if that will drive folks to continue diversifying income streams?

So, the big three of course (ebook, audio + print) is common advice, but also merch, and I wonder if even other media platforms will be suggested? Like, also organise/make tie-in games? Card/board/computer or console etc

Obviously some of those things are extremely expensive to create, and require existing large audiences, but options like Kickstarter can make some of those things more possible.

Ashley Capes | website

The following users thanked this post: Rosie Scott

VisitasKeat

• Short Novel unlocked
  • Following my characters. Wherever they take me.
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2019, 01:28:33 PM »
Not sure if Amazon does this, but what if indie authors are provided movie deals via Amazon Prime?

notthatamanda

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2019, 10:59:37 PM »
Like many folks have already, I guess I predict that being priced out of things like AMS will become even more common.

I wonder how much that/if that will drive folks to continue diversifying income streams?

So, the big three of course (ebook, audio + print) is common advice, but also merch, and I wonder if even other media platforms will be suggested? Like, also organise/make tie-in games? Card/board/computer or console etc

Obviously some of those things are extremely expensive to create, and require existing large audiences, but options like Kickstarter can make some of those things more possible.
Games would be appropriate for some genres, not mine though.  :)
I would be open to doing bakeware, my characters bake like crazy.  You listening, Food Network?

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2019, 12:56:08 AM »
Not sure if Amazon does this, but what if indie authors are provided movie deals via Amazon Prime?
That would be great!

There's nothing stopping Amazon from doing that, but it doesn't seem to be as open to that kind of thing as it used to. For instance, when I first started, there were indies selling well who were offered Amazon imprint contracts. That may still be happening, but I never hear about it any more. And Amazon would need to put a lot more money into a movie than into launching a new imprint book.

shrouded1

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2019, 06:55:00 AM »
  • KU will go away without much prior warning either in 2020 or not long after, as happened with other Amazon programs for authors when they lost their benefit to Amazon. Especially now since the Bezos divorce, there might not be anything new to replace KU as far as programs for authors because Mrs. Bezos was the one who cared about books and authors, and she might not be involved much anymore. It seems like Jeff Bezos isn't heard from much lately either. 
  • More writers will flood the market, and it will be harder for most people to make any money, but more people will keep writing anyway. I don't see that as a bad thing. For the first time in history, anyone can write a book and publish it to be read by anyone in the world and anyone in the future if we don't completely annihilate this planet. That's a fantastic opportunity for future historians and for any alien races who might have the technology to access our digital media from across the universe.

Shoe

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2019, 07:01:54 AM »

Mrs. Bezos was the one who cared about books and authors

And all these years I thought Amazon started as an online book vendor...

shrouded1

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2019, 07:26:48 AM »
They started as a book store, but I believe the choice of product was her idea and influence. It's always looked to me like he cared more about getting all the money in the world than about books. However, I could be wrong and maybe he does.
Anyway, these are just my opinions and I know from experience that my opinions on just about everything are usually not shared by many others.

Vijaya

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2019, 07:43:36 AM »
Interesting and not completely unexpected. Thank you, Shoe, for the link. I suspect that the audiobooks will also level off at some point like the e-readers. It is definitely good having various options for story delivery.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 08:24:47 AM by Vijaya »

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

cuberoute

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2019, 07:52:05 AM »
LEVEL UP - I've been seeing a few multicast (usually just male and female narrator) indie audiobooks available. The LitRPG people are leading the way in the indie space here. So my first prediction is that more narrators will team up to start offering this service, which in turn will bleed into the market and change listener expectations. Already there are people who don't like single narrator audiobooks. Level up is my first prediction for this year - more services available for audiobooks.

AMS - Amazon want our royalties and f*ck everything else. So just like how being in KU gets you a rank book, being in AMS will be next. A "buy" from an ad will boost rank more than an organic buy. Prices will keep going up until you start hearing people say "a rule of thumb is to expect to spend 1/4 to 1/3 of your gross royalties on AMS advertising".

Competitors - Apple, GooglePlay, B&N, Kobo, Smashwords: no real change here. Audiobooks is where I think the next royalty battleground is but unfortunately the two big players, Apple and GooglePlay, have their eye significantly off the ball. Amazon is taking 60% of the Audible money and paying out 40% with a confusing royalty structure. Apple possibly may come stomping back in to this area because the iPhone money fountain is slowing due to saturation and they'll be looking for other areas to make money in.

Split-test cover and blurb on Amazon sale pages - I think Amazon will level up again and start offering you the ability to upload two covers, two blurbs, two sets of keywords and to split-test the f*ck out of it.

KU banhammer - I can see it coming down on a few big names. I'm thinking particularly of a group of LitRPG authors who keep demanding 100 review before they write their next title. They have the facebook pages pushing for reviews, the explicit sex scenes that Amazon doesn't like and they're ranking high in the store and thus attracting attention. Some haven't learned the lessons from MSE or Cipriano and will be banned.

High volume Author teams - there are already author teams publishing under a single name to hit volume and keep rank. Level up again is going to see more of these teams appearing. They'll be releasing a book every two weeks minimum. They'll be tightly focused write-to-market names that will be like a machine. They'll come out of nowhere, will keep everything super secret, publish forty or fifty books and then vanish. Only a small number will continue and their catalogs will grow rapidly, until we're seeing author names with 100+ titles and still releasing books at least every month.

More courses like Mark Dawson's will come out. A flood a flood!

Write-all-at-once, publish all at once authors will start to appear - we have rapid release already and people dropping three books before going for the rest once-a-month. I think we're going to see a few mass drop authors. They'll write five or seven or nine books ahead of time and publish all at once in an effort to hit those algorithms.

More indie publishers - like the author teams, we'll see some indie authors realize they're better at hiring people, directing stories to be written, making covers etc than they are at writing their own books. Or they'll see it's more profitable at least. These people will be successful on their own, at least enough they know what they're doing but instead of pairing up with another author (which involves a lot of risk and trust) they'll go the corporate route, hire writers to write to brief and publish rapidly. Just like Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys and so on, we'll see a flood of series come out under an author name, tightly focused on a genre.

Licensing level up - with the rise of author teams, indie publishers we'll also see more people spat out of traditional publishing (editors, publishers, authors, designers) and a lot of these people will be bringing licensing knowledge with them. The next Paw Patrol is out there somewhere but hasn't been found yet, or exploited. So I think this year we're going to see a real focus on businesses scraping through Indie world looking for things to license for film, toys, kids and so on. With that, we're going to see more author businesses created specifically for that market. You'll see some kids titles come out in eBook form that will have an app as well and a whole bunch of art assets already made so it's easy to sell. For teen and adult, you'll see quick release titles, great covers, audio done fast and then this pitched to licensing businesses for further development. Someone will make the next Avatar Airbender this way, the next Paw Patrol. Within three years a title that started in eBook will have a toy in Walmart, a video game and more.

Adaptations - following on from licensing, we're going to see authors exploring video games and apps. It will be like audiobook development - the rich go first then everyone else. There are app developers out there looking to work. There are single developers and teams looking to make games. Some titles are suited for adaptation to games and apps. I think the first to go will be kids, because you can make simple games, like platformers using existing art assets. I see app teams and game teams starting to offer services to authors.

Graphic novels - we'll see more of these appear as indie authors seek to break into TV. Walking Dead was a graphic novel first before TV. Scott Pilgrim before it became a movie. We'll see illustrators who will pair up with authors to serialize their novels in graphic novel format. We'll probably see shorts first and the rich going first. Sci-fi, thrillers, zombies, etc will start off the movement. Like audiobooks it will develop an ecosystem so you can say "x pages for y dollars".

Never Trad - the midlist trad authors will continue to break free, fight for their rights back and keep killing trad publishing. But we'll also see more never trad authors - those who in the past would have been trad but now are laughing all the way to the bank with indie. I've seen a bunch of "hybrid" authors who I think are still snared by the dream of traditional publishing. They grew up with dreams and make not so great financial decisions to get into a trad bookshop. But as time goes on I think we'll see more teenagers becoming adults who grew up with eBooks, who read on phones and whatever other device they have. They don't have this emotional blindspot and so when they succeed, they won't publish "hybrid" and make various complicated excuses for why they did, like I see happening a bit now.

The following users thanked this post: sliderule, Anarchist, Rosie Scott, angela, alyson

Shoe

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2019, 07:58:47 AM »
They started as a book store

Long ago I read a profile that painted him as a book nerd. Early success with books led him to try other stuff. Today he earns more his non-retail enterprises, but seems to keep a close eye on KDP if stories heard in the indie community are true.

If KU was cut we'd all be in the same boat and the field would be level with other retailers. That's not a bad thing. As of seconds ago, my KENP was 71.6% of today's income. Frankly, I'd probably be earning more overall if KU disappeared, as every KU download is a sale not made.

elleoco

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2019, 08:11:59 AM »
Frankly, I'd probably be earning more overall if KU disappeared, as every KU download is a sale not made.

Can't say as to income, but not every download is a sale not made. I download all sorts of things in KU that I'd never buy, even at $.99, particularly new-to-me authors' books.

Shoe

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2019, 08:25:35 AM »
I download all sorts of things in KU that I'd never buy, even at $.99, particularly new-to-me authors' books.

Why? For research?

elleoco

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2019, 09:40:06 AM »
I download all sorts of things in KU that I'd never buy, even at $.99, particularly new-to-me authors' books.

Why? For research?

No, because I'm willing to give something a try if I'm not paying extra for it, and I'm not willing to pay for something with low odds of getting past the first 10 or 20 pages.

Evidently I'm not as good as some of choosing books to try because my success rate with new to me is low. In the good old days of bookstores, I'd read the first page, a page or two in the middle, including some dialog, and the last page (yes, I'm one of those, have been every since Gone With The Wind). With ebooks I'm stuck trying to evaluate from just the beginning, and I find a whole lot of books fall apart later than the Look Inside.

Shoe

« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2019, 10:01:44 AM »

Evidently I'm not as good as some of choosing books to try because my success rate with new to me is low.

I go from book reviews in the presses to Look Insides, and if those look promising, I login into my local library and reserve the book. Of the books I bring home from the library I may finish one or two out of five.

You were accurate to mention that not every KU download means a lost sale, but I do think sales would go up with KU gone, just not one-to-one with downloads. I'm sure net would go up, though. Only three of my books earn more via KENP than by a sale.

ashleycapes

• Short Novel unlocked
    • Website
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2019, 10:37:13 AM »

Games would be appropriate for some genres, not mine though.  :)
I would be open to doing bakeware, my characters bake like crazy.  You listening, Food Network?

That's an awesome idea :)  Is it possible from somewhere like this place?

https://www.personalcreations.com/bakeware-psebake

(I didn't look at the pricing)

Ashley Capes | website

notthatamanda

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2019, 11:17:24 AM »
Good to know.  I'm going to work on becoming an Amazon affiliate first though.

Not going to look at that site though.  Pans are kind of a problem for me.

The following users thanked this post: ashleycapes

ashleycapes

• Short Novel unlocked
    • Website
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2019, 11:27:06 AM »

grint

You could survey your readers first - see if they truly would buy bakeware themed after your books & characters? Then it might feel safer to browse the site, make it a business expense, right?  Grin

Ashley Capes | website

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2019, 11:47:52 AM »
I believe we'll see more authors selling directly from their websites. 
And I agree we'll be finding new ways to use our books for additional revenue streams.  It should be an interesting year!  :smilie_zauber:

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

Marti Talbott

« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2019, 01:58:42 PM »
More AI in our future. "Alexa, read Marti Talbott's new book while I make dinner."

Alexa will have more than one voice, an electronic voice that sounds like a human, and Amazon will scan books to assign a voice to a character. KU won't go away in 2020, and maybe a long time after. We look at it according to the money it makes, but it's a sales tool - a way to attract buyers to the higher ticket items. It's the free cookies and coffee in the back of the store. I predict more Amazon markets opening up. Time to make it more worldwide, which will be good for Indies.

Kobo just sold OverDrive and I didn't even know they owned it. Anyway, instead of growing, it looks like they're in reverse. Most of us don't sell a lot of books on Kobo anyway, according to my experience and what I've read. Google Play is making some major improvements so I predict they will become even bigger and better. B&N??? I don't sell direct with them, so I have no opinion. Apple screwed up their website, trying to make it more user friendly. So far I don't think it's working. They have to improve!

Yep, it's the technology. Chances are, we haven't seen anything yet. Maybe AI will make movies out of our books. After all, streaming services are already so competitive, they will have to delve into the Indie book market sooner or later.
Read The Swindler, a historical romance available at:
Amazon, Apple, Google Play, Kobo & Nook
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QG5K23

notthatamanda

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2019, 11:39:11 PM »

grint

You could survey your readers first - see if they truly would buy bakeware themed after your books & characters? Then it might feel safer to browse the site, make it a business expense, right?  Grin
My husband already considers it a marriage expense, so I think I'm good for now.  :)

ashleycapes

• Short Novel unlocked
    • Website
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2019, 12:47:18 AM »
:)

Ashley Capes | website

Shoe

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2019, 02:15:20 AM »
There's a timely article from Vox with some interesting takeaways:

Self-published authors, meanwhile, are flourishing. They’re allowed to set their own ebook prices just like publishers are — and consistently, they set their prices very, very low. “It’s a shadow market,” Friedman says. “Novelists with huge backlists go and put them out as ebooks independently. And if a reader has a choice between reading this great series at $2.99 a pop or a $12 novel, what are they going to pick?”

Instead, at the other end of the decade, ebook sales seem to have stabilized at around 20 percent of total book sales, with print sales making up the remaining 80 percent. “Five or 10 years ago,” says Andrew Albanese, a senior writer at trade magazine Publishers Weekly and the author of The Battle of $9.99, “you would have thought those numbers would have been reversed.”

...And in part, Albanese tells Vox in a phone interview, that’s because the digital natives of Gen Z and the millennial generation have very little interest in buying ebooks. “They’re glued to their phones, they love social media, but when it comes to reading a book, they want John Green in print,” he says. The people who are actually buying ebooks? Mostly boomers. “Older readers are glued to their e-readers,” says Albanese. “They don’t have to go to the bookstore. They can make the font bigger. It’s convenient.”

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/12/23/20991659/ebook-amazon-kindle-ereader-department-of-justice-publishing-lawsuit-apple-ipad

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2019, 03:04:07 AM »
Instead, at the other end of the decade, ebook sales seem to have stabilized at around 20 percent of total book sales, with print sales making up the remaining 80 percent.

Only we know that is totally wrong.

The operative words needing to be included in that statement is 'of books with an ISBN.'

Most of these stats being quoted are trad industry stats, and exclude all eBooks without an ISBN, which is most of them.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: Joe Vasicek, DrewMcGunn, Rosie Scott

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2019, 03:29:42 AM »
Instead, at the other end of the decade, ebook sales seem to have stabilized at around 20 percent of total book sales, with print sales making up the remaining 80 percent.

The operative words needing to be included in that statement is 'of books with an ISBN.'

Most of these stats being quoted are trad industry stats, and exclude all eBooks without an ISBN, which is most of them.

That's what I was going to say. These percentages don't include any ebooks Amazon sells because they don't release their numbers.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

Shoe

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2019, 03:51:18 AM »

No, it's not wrong. The 20/80 referred to traditional publishing. The article discussed indie publishing separately ("Self-published authors, meanwhile, are flourishing").

If it included all indie ebook and print sales, it might split differently, but I doubt it would move beyond 30/70.

Tom Wood

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2019, 04:28:11 AM »
Taken from a recent Library Journal magazine article:

Full set of images that include the entire article here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/YAauthoralliance/permalink/2535110749876106/

The following users thanked this post: Shoe

Simon Haynes

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2019, 05:22:10 AM »
It depends on genre. Indie scifi is known to be streets ahead of trad pub.

Shoe

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2019, 06:03:09 AM »
It depends on genre. Indie scifi is known to be streets ahead of trad pub.

It's nearly the same with romance, mystery, crime, and fantasy. A recent article in PW said indie success in those genres depended more and more on "aggressive, near ruthless marketing" (if I remember correctly, a quote from Mark Dawson).

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2019, 10:04:59 AM »

No, it's not wrong. The 20/80 referred to traditional publishing. The article discussed indie publishing separately ("Self-published authors, meanwhile, are flourishing").

If it included all indie ebook and print sales, it might split differently, but I doubt it would move beyond 30/70.
I'm not clear on what the basis is for the 30/70 estimate. There aren't too many figures out there that aren't based on traditional publishing-friendly sources in which, as Timothy points out, only books with ISBNS are represented. When Data Guy's figures were still public, they always showed a much higher percentage of ebook sales than the more traditional sources, and very frequently the trends were different as well. The trad narrative is that ebook sales are flat or even going into a decline. DG's figures always showed them as increasing instead, because he was looking at the books without ISBNs.

Unless the articles you reference explicitly says that it's using some non-traditional source, I'd be skeptical. And adding indies to the math would almost have to make a difference. Many trad authors still predominately sell in paper. Most indie authors predominately sell in ebooks (with some exceptions, of course).

Shoe

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2019, 10:14:03 AM »

I'm not clear on what the basis is for the 30/70 estimate.

That's just me speculating, nothing else.

Arches

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2019, 02:34:38 AM »

I'm not clear on what the basis is for the 30/70 estimate. There aren't too many figures out there that aren't based on traditional publishing-friendly sources in which, as Timothy points out, only books with ISBNS are represented. When Data Guy's figures were still public, they always showed a much higher percentage of ebook sales than the more traditional sources, and very frequently the trends were different as well. The trad narrative is that ebook sales are flat or even going into a decline. DG's figures always showed them as increasing instead, because he was looking at the books without ISBNs.

Unless the articles you reference explicitly says that it's using some non-traditional source, I'd be skeptical. And adding indies to the math would almost have to make a difference. Many trad authors still predominately sell in paper. Most indie authors predominately sell in ebooks (with some exceptions, of course).

There does seem to be at least one reputable source of information about ebook reading trends that isn't based on ISBNs. It comes from the Pew Research Center, and its mentioned in the Submittable article Shoe referenced at the top of the thread. Here's the link: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/09/25/one-in-five-americans-now-listen-to-audiobooks/

The Pew Report is focused on audio books, but it contains data for all types of books. According to them, all readable book formats are losing audience share, and audiobooks are gaining popularity gradually.

With regard to ebooks, the top popularity level was 2016 with 28% of US adults reading an ebook in the previous year. By 2019, the percentage was down to 25%. Note that Pew didn't try and distinguish between fiction and nonfiction, but it does break out the numbers based on the reader's sex, race, and income level.

While I continue to believe the most popular fiction genres are trending strongly toward ebooks, there doesn't seem to be any trend in the US toward ebooks in general.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 11:21:49 AM by Arches »

The following users thanked this post: Joe Vasicek, alyson

Shoe

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2019, 11:09:31 AM »

While I continue to believe the most popular fiction genres are trending strongly toward ebooks, there doesn't seem to be any trend in the US toward ebooks in general.

I poked around a good deal more and haven't found any evidence of ebook sales rising. Falling? Yes. And the 20/80 ratio with print holds fairly steady. But muddling the waters are ebook sale prices. I haven't seen an industry statistic focusing on just unit sales. Indies move lots of units, but dollar-wise, while impressive, revenue may not compare well with the industry overall.

I don't know if there's a trend up or down in ebook pricing. I know I'm seeing a lot more $3.99-$4.99 prices outside the top genres. I launch and hold at $2.99.

I already had audio on the to-do list for 2020. It's likely I'll procrastinate until at least June.

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2019, 12:00:46 PM »
I don't know if there's a trend up or down in ebook pricing. I know I'm seeing a lot more $3.99-$4.99 prices outside the top genres. I launch and hold at $2.99.

Sometimes I think we self-pubs are cutting our own throats. We are so quick to price a book at .99 cents or even permafree, when in actuality, we could price a bit higher and do well at the same time. I look at a lot of self-pub authors that don't discount that much and see them doing rather well. One example of many is someone like Shayne Silvers. He's in the top forty in fiver different categories for Author Rank and his lowest priced book is $2.99. He has a couple at that price. Everything else is priced in the $4-7 range and he's selling tons of them.

Mark Dawson is the same way. He doesn't discount. Well, very rarely.

Then I look at an author like Amy Cross. She's written well over a hundred horror novels and has almost all of them priced at .99 cents. You get to page 14 on her author page (sorted by price) and she still has .99 cent novels. Even her boxsets are set at that price. I just finished reading one of her horrors and I thought it was quite good. I really think she is leaving a ton of money on the table with her pricing.

So, the question is, is she hurting the rest of us by keeping her prices at a dollar?
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

Shoe

« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2019, 12:11:13 PM »

So, the question is, is she hurting the rest of us by keeping her prices at a dollar?

It looks like she releases 450+ page books every two weeks. That's a hell of a work ethic.

Though I think "she" might be a mill, which is a growing problem in the popular genres. They have a KU strategy so price-point isn't so important.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2019, 01:10:08 PM »

It looks like she releases 450+ page books every two weeks. That's a hell of a work ethic.

Though I think "she" might be a mill, which is a growing problem in the popular genres. They have a KU strategy so price-point isn't so important.

That's most likely ghostwriters, or a big group using the same author name.

Yes, the price point would be hurting their reads.

I tried a 99c promo on one of my 4.99 books, and the reads died like turning off a switch. As far as I can see now, KU readers are using the price as a first indication of quality, especially given all the public discussion of lack of quality in KU.

If KU is their main aim, higher pricing isn't going to hurt them at all. And would probably do a lot of good with reads.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

idontknowyet

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2019, 01:49:31 PM »

She doesn't have to be a mill. That's around 11k a day five days a week. If she writes clean there isn't much editing needed, but she probably has one on retainer that she's worked with regularly. I am in several groups with people that can routinely write that many words. My goal is to work up to 7k to 10k a day. I don't write clean, but that's neither her nor there. The people that write short books now are keeping up multiple pen names to increase revenue.

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2019, 04:11:42 PM »
She doesn't have to be a mill. That's around 11k a day five days a week. If she writes clean there isn't much editing needed, but she probably has one on retainer that she's worked with regularly. I am in several groups with people that can routinely write that many words. My goal is to work up to 7k to 10k a day. I don't write clean, but that's neither her nor there. The people that write short books now are keeping up multiple pen names to increase revenue.

I can see that. Amanda Lee has said she writes 9000 words a day, five days a week. And Shayne Silvers writes 10-20,000 words a day. So, some people can do it. I could do it if I put my mind to it. At a slow 1500 words an hour, it would take me just six hours to hit 9000. My problem is I'm quite lazy sometimes.

The following users thanked this post: sliderule

LilyBLily

« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2019, 11:55:35 PM »
Pricing will continue to be debated constantly in 2020.

Last night I accidentally discovered a new book by one of the few authors who is an autobuy for me. It's on pre-order for 99 cents. I went to her website and nothing on it says the book is available on pre-order. I'm on her mailing list, but have heard nothing. I want to help her gain more readers and I also want her to earn a decent amount of money, so now I'm in a quandary. Do I do the cheap pre-order? Do I wait a couple of days and buy the book on the day it releases whatever the price is? Do I read the book in Kindle Unlimited first, and then buy the book at whatever the full price is later on? With a deep discount pre-order price I'm not sure what her strategy is. Maybe she plans a blast on release day and hopes to run up the ranks with the title at 99 cents? If so, then if I buy on release day, am I helping her much more than if I buy the book on any other day?

I am not convinced that a deep discount for the final book in a long series is necessary. I'm not planning to discount my own book that's releasing this week.