Author Topic: Capitalization of personal titles  (Read 2736 times)

Gerri Attrick

Capitalization of personal titles
« on: November 05, 2018, 03:22:33 AM »
In my current WIP I have a vicar, a brigadier, and a lady. I always use a capital when using their titles: Lady Lacey-Partington wore a blue hat. Brigadier Mentmore drank more brandy. A kind smile hovered on the lips of Reverend Merryweather.

I also use a capital when they are being addressed in dialogue, but I’m unsure whether a capital is needed in general text: The brigadier looked hale and hearty - Her ladyship nodded - the reverend scoffed at the news.

Can someone please put me straight?

Robin

Re: Capitalization of personal titles
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 03:33:55 AM »
A capital is not needed in general text, I've just checked the Agatha Christie novel I'm reading and it's done in the same way as you describe: capitals for titles and dialogue, lower case for general text.

Gerri Attrick

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 07:37:33 PM »
Thanks, Robin.  :heart:

If it was good enough for the great AC, then it’s good enough for me.  Grin

Robin

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 08:12:48 PM »
No problem!  Grin

Simon Haynes

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 10:03:04 PM »
I looked this up recently for my WIP.

When someone's addressing the person in dialogue, it's capitalised (apparently). E.g. "Yes, Captain."

If you're referring to the rank in the description it's 'the captain', but if you use their name it's capitalised: 'Captain Kirk'

It's even more complicated with royalty. I got really tangled with 'queen', 'my Queen', 'Your Majesty' and so on.

Naturally, it depends who you ask, which usage (US/British/etc), and whether the name of the current month ends with an X.

Gaylord Fancypants

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 03:10:13 AM »
"Her Majesty" and similar royal references should alway be capitalized. As in, "I knelt in front of Her Majesty as she dubbed me Sir Gaylord."

Gerri Attrick

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 03:41:20 AM »
“Her Majesty” and similar royal references should alway be capitalized. As in, “I knelt in front of Her Majesty as she dubbed me Sir Gaylord.”

Agreed, but what about her ladyship? Or should that be what about her Ladyship, or Her Ladyship? Nah, not that last one. I don’t think you’d capitalize “her”.

As an aside, I’ve read a remarkable number of books where the character is introduced as Sir First Name Surname, and addressed thereafter as Sir Surname. Um, no. You’ve got it right, here, with Sir Gaylord. (i.e. not Sir Fancypants)

Gaylord Fancypants

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 06:53:31 AM »
“Her Majesty” and similar royal references should alway be capitalized. As in, “I knelt in front of Her Majesty as she dubbed me Sir Gaylord.”

Agreed, but what about her ladyship? Or should that be what about her Ladyship, or Her Ladyship? Nah, not that last one. I don’t think you’d capitalize “her”.

As an aside, I’ve read a remarkable number of books where the character is introduced as Sir First Name Surname, and addressed thereafter as Sir Surname. Um, no. You’ve got it right, here, with Sir Gaylord. (i.e. not Sir Fancypants)

I think you'd capitalize Her Ladyship only if that's her official title, i.e. there's no other proper way to refer to her.

Yeah the ol' Sir Surname thing annoys me. That and people who don't look up how to use old-timey verb conjugation, that annoyest me until I dost bloweth my top.