Author Topic: Beta Readers  (Read 1197 times)

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
Beta Readers
« on: October 15, 2021, 09:14:05 AM »
Anybody use these guys to for beta readers: BetaBooks

They have as simple TOS. It seems like something to try...

R.C.

idontknowyet

Re: Beta Readers
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 10:29:44 AM »
Do you have that many beta readers that you need their feedback organized. I need betas personally not someone to sort through their responses for me.

But no ive never heard of them.

The following users thanked this post: R. C.

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 10:25:12 PM »
Do you have that many beta readers that you need their feedback organized...

I thought this might be a way to entice a broader beta reader audience.

Maybe a better question is: How do you safely distribute a manuscript for beta readers?

R.C.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 10:42:29 PM by R. C. »

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 12:46:21 AM »
Maybe a better question is: How do you safely distribute a manuscript for beta readers?

You side load it directly onto their devices as a mobi.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 01:35:30 AM »
You side load it directly onto their devices as a mobi.

Thank you. I was hoping to find a way to safely distribute beta without being tied to Kindle.

R.C.

LilyBLily

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 02:42:40 AM »
I'm confused. Are you planning to send your ms. to total strangers after it has been edited and proofread and formatted? A beta reader is someone who reads the story before all that.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 03:49:33 AM by LilyBLily »

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 03:05:41 AM »
I'm confused. Are you planning to send you ms. to total strangers after it has been edited and proofread and formatted? A beta reader is someone who reads the story before all that.

I am aware of what beta reading is and how it is used. What I am trying to accomplish is an expansion of the pool of beta readers. If possible, expand the pool without paying for a service. The first option is to ping my reader base. However, "new eyes" with a fresh perspective would be ideal.

R.C.

alhawke

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2021, 03:43:39 AM »
I've never used an outside beta reader service. That's my disclaimer. I've been fortunate to know people who've been willing to read my manuscript. So I'm unsure of your new service (though I'll mark it for consideration myself).

That being said, if I was to seek beta reads out, I'd consider Hidden Gems and vibe reviews.
Hidden Gems: https://www.hiddengemsbooks.com (note Hidden Gems specializes in romance)
Vibe reviews: https://www.vibebookreviews.com.
Why these services? Because both services have been very helpful as resources for honest ARC reviews. I suspect they use a similar pool of readers for a beta read.

.. I was hoping to find a way to safely distribute beta without being tied to Kindle.
Alternative would be to send as epub, mobi, or pdf file through Bookfunnel. Bookfunnel charges $100 per year but they watermark. I use it to send arcs. I also use it for my newsletter. But, honestly, bookmarked or not, there's always a risk of piracy so tread carefully--particularly with unpublished material.

LilyBLily

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2021, 04:05:28 AM »
I doubt Hidden Gems or any other company providing a beta reading service or a review service, for that matter, can stop someone from theft. BookFunnel's watermark is nice, but surely a thief in business as a thief--as opposed to a reader too cheap to buy a book--knows how to remove it. 

The following users thanked this post: R. C., alhawke

alhawke

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2021, 06:49:49 AM »
I agree. Personally, I'm probably overly paranoid with theft. I even release ARCs after I've already published or copyrighted my books. Beta reading gets me more nervous as you lack the proof of ownership. You really need trust with beta reads.

Funny regarding the watermark thing: I know on Bookfunnel they say they add it, but I have no idea where it is when it's delivered (I'm not a programmer).

{ edited for clarity
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 07:17:20 AM by alhawke »