Author Topic: 50+ words a day...no matter what!  (Read 308892 times)

diisha392

Re: 50+ words a day...no matter what!
« Reply #650 on: May 22, 2019, 11:31:19 AM »
84 words today but not sure how long some of them will stay.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #651 on: June 09, 2019, 03:30:01 AM »
I'm stuck in finals for a few more days...how is everyone else doing?  I hope to start writing again on Monday.  :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

Maggie Ann

« Reply #652 on: June 09, 2019, 07:46:02 AM »
I'm stuck in finals for a few more days...how is everyone else doing?  I hope to start writing again on Monday.  :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em

I have plans for tomorrow. Not sure what I'll be writing. A small brain wave hit me this morning and I started a new story completely different from what I've been working on. Wrote 198 words. Yup, just realized I had some wordage to report. Don't know if it will go anywhere or not.

:writethink:

diisha392

« Reply #653 on: June 12, 2019, 12:22:55 PM »
Two 1K days in a row  Grin

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #654 on: June 13, 2019, 12:49:51 PM »

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

The following users thanked this post: diisha392

diisha392

« Reply #655 on: June 14, 2019, 12:23:31 AM »
186 words out of today's first 15-minute writing block. I have a feeling I am going to need five of them to reach 1K for the day instead of the four I needed yesterday.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #656 on: June 14, 2019, 03:14:51 AM »
I've got a plan to do some writing tomorrow. Hope my plan doesn't slide into the mud like my Sunday plan did. But, I think I have a better plan this time around.  :Healing:

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #657 on: June 14, 2019, 08:18:47 AM »
I'm back and hoping to write tomorrow!  So glad to have a little more free time for a few weeks.   :smilie_zauber:

diisha392

« Reply #658 on: June 14, 2019, 11:01:28 PM »
I'm back and hoping to write tomorrow!  So glad to have a little more free time for a few weeks.   :smilie_zauber:
I've got a plan to do some writing tomorrow. Hope my plan doesn't slide into the mud like my Sunday plan did. But, I think I have a better plan this time around.  :Healing:

Good luck!

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Maggie Ann

Maggie Ann

« Reply #659 on: June 15, 2019, 02:06:12 AM »
Well, it worked out better than I thought. I'm working on the new idea and I got 1194 words in this morning.

My Sunday plan is back on track, I hope.  :tap

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, diisha392

diisha392

« Reply #660 on: June 16, 2019, 05:14:01 AM »
1049 words today, now 2 graduation parties and a trip to library to "play" with the die-cut machine

Maggie Ann

« Reply #661 on: June 17, 2019, 04:41:27 AM »
951 words. I was hoping for more but I was at McD's and rain was a serious threat.

diisha392

« Reply #662 on: June 17, 2019, 12:06:47 PM »
513 words. Spent the majority of the day with family celebrating my niece's baptism :)

Maggie Ann

« Reply #663 on: June 17, 2019, 11:36:57 PM »
513 words. Spent the majority of the day with family celebrating my niece's baptism :)

Congrats on both counts.

No writing plans for me today. Definitely tomorrow. I have an appt to get my car serviced and that should give me an hour or two of writing time in the waiting room.

diisha392

« Reply #664 on: June 18, 2019, 08:12:59 AM »

Congrats on both counts.

Thank you :)  It was a lovely day with family and I managed a few more hundred words before going to bed.

Today I wrote 1012 words, but it's only 6:12 here so I may add a few more...

diisha392

« Reply #665 on: June 19, 2019, 10:34:34 AM »
Another 1K day to keep my streak going!

My characters just had a short discussion about doughnuts; I'm thinking this scene might need a little more meat to it...

Maggie Ann

« Reply #666 on: June 19, 2019, 11:01:50 AM »
Another 1K day to keep my streak going!

My characters just had a short discussion about doughnuts; I'm thinking this scene might need a little more meat to it...

Sugar without protein can leave you unbalanced.  :icon_rofl:

My auto appt got rescheduled to tomorrow so I'll be sitting in the waiting room with my AlphaSmart writing snappy dialogue about Victorian houses and mice. Should be interesting.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #667 on: June 20, 2019, 03:08:28 AM »
1500 words last night, and they finally got the book open! Now, I just have to decide what's in it. LOL
 :catrun

Maggie Ann

« Reply #668 on: June 20, 2019, 05:27:55 AM »
I discovered that my car only takes synthetic oil which does not break down in the FL heat like regular oil. I'd just sat down to wait for my car to get an oil change when they came over and told me I wouldn't need an oil change for another 4K miles. Okay. Good news. Except I'd just sat down to write.

117 words.  :littleclap Better than nothing.

diisha392

« Reply #669 on: June 20, 2019, 02:02:57 PM »
I got a little bit of meat to balance the scene but now they've wandered down to the beach and are doing some random poses

Maggie Ann

« Reply #670 on: June 24, 2019, 12:43:39 AM »
Finally made it to Panera this morning where I got 1542 words written. The story took a turn I hadn't expected, but it's a good one. I find that my characters mostly know what they should be doing.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #671 on: June 24, 2019, 03:17:46 AM »
Almost 2k words yesterday.  Hoping to finish this book in about a week.  :smilie_zauber:

Maggie Ann

« Reply #672 on: June 24, 2019, 03:35:23 AM »
Almost 2k words yesterday.  Hoping to finish this book in about a week.  :smilie_zauber:

:band:

Hopscotch

« Reply #673 on: June 24, 2019, 05:43:15 AM »
Finished latest historical Western few days back, always get the blues when a book is done.  Single malt and choc ice cream usually cure.  This time feel so down I'll have to mix the two together to get boosted back to fulltime writing.  But I did manage 50+ words this morning and that's a spark of light at tunnel's end.
. .

Maggie Ann

« Reply #674 on: June 24, 2019, 05:51:43 AM »
Finished latest historical Western few days back, always get the blues when a book is done.  Single malt and choc ice cream usually cure.  This time feel so down I'll have to mix the two together to get boosted back to fulltime writing.  But I did manage 50+ words this morning and that's a spark of light at tunnel's end.

It's always good to jump back on the horse.

:banana-riding-llama-smiley-em

diisha392

« Reply #675 on: June 24, 2019, 09:41:05 AM »
65 words today.

I might write more later but still pretty tired from driving 18 hours over three days for a wedding reception several states away.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #676 on: June 25, 2019, 01:31:19 AM »
65 words today.

I might write more later but still pretty tired from driving 18 hours over three days for a wedding reception several states away.

Amazing after that marathon drive you found the energy to even write 65 words. Dedication!  :tup3b

diisha392

« Reply #677 on: June 25, 2019, 06:28:44 AM »
65 words today.

Amazing after that marathon drive you found the energy to even write 65 words. Dedication!  :tup3b

Thanks! Although today's grand total is still at 0.

I'm trying to work out the next part of the story but really it's just a day of procrastinating...

Maggie Ann

« Reply #678 on: June 25, 2019, 09:11:17 AM »
65 words today.

Thanks! Although today's grand total is still at 0.

I'm trying to work out the next part of the story but really it's just a day of procrastinating...

I'm not even trying today. My muse hides on laundry day. I don't blame her at all. BTW, her name is Fiona.

diisha392

« Reply #679 on: June 25, 2019, 11:43:13 AM »

I'm not even trying today. My muse hides on laundry day. I don't blame her at all. BTW, her name is Fiona.

Love it!

648 words today

Maggie Ann

« Reply #680 on: June 26, 2019, 01:12:53 AM »
Went to the library today and knocked out 1185 words. Also edited Sunday's work, so it was a good day.

Oh, and a  :dog1: decided to show up. Also some seniors who I think will play a good part in the mystery.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #681 on: June 26, 2019, 02:59:07 AM »
Congrats on the word counts!  :goodpost:

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #682 on: June 26, 2019, 04:13:12 AM »
I won't post daily totals since it's been almost two months since I last posted.

I think the day of or after I last posted, our family dog went to the vet, then to the emergency care facility the following day.  Then, stayed in the doggy hospital for a couple days, then had surgery.  Came out of surgery okay and came home a day or two later.  Then back to the doggy hospital that Saturday morning where she passed away.

I didn't get a lot of writing done during that time, or after, and there were two days I didn't write at all, except maybe a few words on the space opera, which I haven't counted in these posts.

I ended May with a total word count of 33,865 words which was an average of 1,092.42 words per day.

Did better this month.  Last week, I wrote 8,200 words over a three day period which bested the 7,290 words written over a three day period in May.  I think I mentioned that in my last post.

I finished the novel today, which means my word count for June (through today) is 42,735 words which works out to be an average of 1,709.4 words per day.

Still have to edit and still only have one (potential) beta reader, but as it stands right now, this novel is 252,133 words long with 68 chapters.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

Maggie Ann

« Reply #683 on: June 26, 2019, 05:13:33 AM »
Aw, Dan, I'm so sorry about your doggie. It's heartbreaking, I know, to lose a fur baby.

But congrats on finishing the novel. That's an epic accomplishment.

:smilie_zauber:

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #684 on: June 26, 2019, 06:10:12 AM »
Dan, so sorry about your dog.  It's never easy.

Congrats on finishing the book! 

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #685 on: June 26, 2019, 08:11:24 AM »
Book 2 is done! Now, to start book 3 in the series. We're hoping to have it finished before the end of August.  :catrun

Maggie Ann

« Reply #686 on: June 26, 2019, 08:42:46 AM »
Book 2 is done! Now, to start book 3 in the series. We're hoping to have it finished before the end of August.  :catrun

Yay!!!  :banana:

I've had so many do-overs this year, I'm not sure when (or even if) I'm going to be able to say that.  :shrug

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #687 on: June 26, 2019, 08:50:59 AM »

Yay!!!  :banana:

I've had so many do-overs this year, I'm not sure when (or even if) I'm going to be able to say that.  :shrug

Thank you, Maggie Ann!  You'll get there.  :smilie_zauber:

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #688 on: June 26, 2019, 11:11:52 AM »
I won't post daily totals since it's been almost two months since I last posted.

I think the day of or after I last posted, our family dog went to the vet, then to the emergency care facility the following day.  Then, stayed in the doggy hospital for a couple days, then had surgery.  Came out of surgery okay and came home a day or two later.  Then back to the doggy hospital that Saturday morning where she passed away.

So sorry to hear that, man.  I know how tough it is to lose a pet.   :icon_sad:

I didn't get a lot of writing done during that time, or after

Perfectly understandable, and I'm surprised you got as much done as you did.

as it stands right now, this novel is 252,133 words long with 68 chapters

That word count translates to somewhere in the neighborhood of a 1000-page ebook on Amazon.   :icon_eek:

Congratulations.   :cheers

v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Maggie Ann

diisha392

« Reply #689 on: June 26, 2019, 11:56:54 AM »
Sorry for the loss of your dog, Dan  :(

Maggie Ann

« Reply #690 on: June 27, 2019, 03:18:04 AM »
Surprised myself with 1206 words today. I may have spent too much time on the dog, but he was just so darned cute.   :dog1:  He also provided a good distraction for the sister when brother didn't want her to overhear his conversation with Chief.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #691 on: June 27, 2019, 06:53:29 AM »
Aw, Dan, I'm so sorry about your doggie. It's heartbreaking, I know, to lose a fur baby.

Dan, so sorry about your dog.  It's never easy.

So sorry to hear that, man.  I know how tough it is to lose a pet.   :icon_sad:

Sorry for the loss of your dog, Dan  :(

Thanks all.

as it stands right now, this novel is 252,133 words long with 68 chapters

That word count translates to somewhere in the neighborhood of a 1000-page ebook on Amazon.   :icon_eek:

And then, sometimes, when editing, I tend to add words so who knows what the final word count will be.  Plus, I have yet to write the Acknowledgments section.

Already went through the first three chapters today and, yep, added words.

Maybe I can also do a "summary" version.  LOL.  Sold separately, of course.   :hehe

Does KU still pay by the page?  If so, cha-ching!  LOL.  You know, if anyone actually reads the whole thing.

Probably ought to do a paperback version for this one too.  It'll make the eBook look like a bargain.

The cover's done.  Yet, once again, I foolishly did not think ahead and designed for the eBook without considering the paperback.  I guess I can use the excuse that I originally designed the cover five years ago.  (Made minor revisions this year to make it "pop" more.  Hopefully.)
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #692 on: June 27, 2019, 06:58:21 AM »
Okay, with the fantasy epic (I guess it counts as an epic when it's 250k long) finished (except for editing and all that jazz), I can now move on to focus solely on the space opera that's been limpering along with a scant handful of words written each day.  (Is limpering not a word?  Spell-check does not approve.)

Except I haven't.

No.  Yesterday, I saw my "lame space opera" sitting on my hard drive and thought, hmm, I should work on that.

Also, did you know "lame" is now considered an offensive word?  Oy.

Anyway, so, today, I wrote 1,090 words on my lame space opera.  Technically, it was a lot of rewriting a short I wrote a while ago that I figured I could incorporate into this novel(la).  But, I added some new words too.

diisha392

« Reply #693 on: June 27, 2019, 10:21:56 AM »
1085 today although there are definitely some segments that will need editing later.

The #1000wordsofsummer challenge has been a big motivator the last week and a half for me.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #694 on: June 28, 2019, 04:07:57 AM »
Couldn't make it to the library today because I had a couple of appointments. Brought my AlphaSmart and managed 764 words while I was waiting.

I'm having a problem conceptualizing the covers for this series. I guess I'll wait until the first book is finished before deciding. Might be no-people covers.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #695 on: June 28, 2019, 08:09:07 AM »
Edited four chapters today.  Added some words, of course.

Wrote 1,140 words in the "lame space opera" but also rewrote a portion of yesterday's to make a scene less "adult" in nature and more goofy (hopefully).

diisha392

« Reply #696 on: June 28, 2019, 11:54:54 AM »
1018 written. Also fixed the formatting for the inside of the paperback version of the first novella in my trilogy (now if I could just get KDP Cover Creator to let me delete and rewrite some text, I'd be good to go!)

Maggie Ann

« Reply #697 on: June 28, 2019, 09:49:00 PM »
1018 written. Also fixed the formatting for the inside of the paperback version of the first novella in my trilogy (now if I could just get KDP Cover Creator to let me delete and rewrite some text, I'd be good to go!)

I make my covers in PowerPoint. It's really very versatile.

The Doctor

« Reply #698 on: June 28, 2019, 10:25:33 PM »
346 words today so far (it's a quiet day at work).

Genre: Weird Fiction | Science Fiction | Fantasy | Horror |
Gayle Ramage Website

Maggie Ann

« Reply #699 on: June 29, 2019, 01:11:25 AM »
I was waffling about going to the library this morning (I do my best writing there) because I had some errands to run this morning, but my muse (Fiona) had other ideas. Started to walk out the door, but I automatically picked up the messenger bag with my AlphaSmart in it and drove to the library. Wrote 1254 words. Fiona obviously knows best.

My average has always been 1K words per hour and I'd put in a two hour writing session. Now I'm averaging a lot more words in an hour. I wrote this 1254 in about 45 minutes and that's pretty close to what I've been doing since I started going to the library every day.

I don't think it's the library. I walked away from the series I was working on and went with an idea and characters that popped into my head one morning. I think I like these characters a lot better than the other series and that's why I'm able to put out more wordage.