Author Topic: 50+ words a day...no matter what!  (Read 308843 times)

notthatamanda

Re: 50+ words a day...no matter what!
« Reply #1050 on: September 17, 2019, 06:09:45 AM »
I love the kitchen in Practical Magic.  And it opens up onto a greenhouse! Happy happy joy joy.

Yes! A Victorian house would have a conservatory/greenhouse off one room. I'll have to add that.

I have a giant dieffenbachia you can put in it.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #1051 on: September 17, 2019, 06:25:37 AM »
All my book houses seem to have sun porches or conservatories.

Photos courtesy of Pinterest

« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 06:29:15 AM by Lorri Moulton [Lavender Lass Books] »

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1052 on: September 17, 2019, 06:27:50 AM »
You should watch the old Perry Mason series. Being a former paralegal, I sometimes cringe at the ethics violations he just blithely commits.

Been many moons since I've seen a Perry Mason episode.  I vaguely remember Matlock.

My faves were L.A. Law and Boston Legal.  And, of course, Night Court.

Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1053 on: September 17, 2019, 08:39:03 AM »
You should watch the old Perry Mason series. Being a former paralegal, I sometimes cringe at the ethics violations he just blithely commits.

Been many moons since I've seen a Perry Mason episode.  I vaguely remember Matlock.

My faves were L.A. Law and Boston Legal.  And, of course, Night Court.

L.A. Law and Night Court, definitely. Never did see Boston Legal.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1054 on: September 17, 2019, 08:43:02 AM »
I love the kitchen in Practical Magic.  And it opens up onto a greenhouse! Happy happy joy joy.

Yes! A Victorian house would have a conservatory/greenhouse off one room. I'll have to add that.

I have a giant dieffenbachia you can put in it.

Ah, the Mother-in-Law plant.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1055 on: September 17, 2019, 09:02:01 AM »
L.A. Law and Night Court, definitely. Never did see Boston Legal.

Denny Crane.

Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1056 on: September 17, 2019, 09:26:06 AM »
As a side note, Dan Larroquette played an attorney on both Night Court and Boston Legal.

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #1057 on: September 17, 2019, 10:37:03 AM »
I edited five chapters on my novel today and wrote 1000 words for a Halloween short story.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, diisha392

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1058 on: September 17, 2019, 11:35:03 AM »
As a side note, Dan Larroquette played an attorney on both Night Court and Boston Legal.

He was really great. The whole cast was perfect. Too bad it's not on Prime Video or anywhere else.

Just finished writing 1,287 words on Book 2. Haven't heard back from my Beta reader, but considering she's dealing with the dust and rubble of a remodel, I don't expect her to read it until next week sometime.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #1059 on: September 17, 2019, 11:41:56 AM »
I'm between drafts and currently doing a re-read of books 1-3 of Wheel of Fire.  I'm taking notes as I go, notes of things that I think I'll need to know when I write the second draft of book 4.

A side bonus of this re-read is that it gives me an opportunity to spot errors.  I've found one; I use the wrong name at one point.   :HB  I've fixed it and, as soon as my re-read of that book is complete, I'll be uploading corrected versions.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Lynn

« Reply #1060 on: September 17, 2019, 01:30:48 PM »
I'm between drafts and currently doing a re-read of books 1-3 of Wheel of Fire.  I'm taking notes as I go, notes of things that I think I'll need to know when I write the second draft of book 4.

A side bonus of this re-read is that it gives me an opportunity to spot errors.  I've found one; I use the wrong name at one point.   :HB  I've fixed it and, as soon as my re-read of that book is complete, I'll be uploading corrected versions.

What's that saying? Been there, done that. :D  :cheers

I'm also currently in the "I need to reread all those previous books and oh, dear God, I have to take notes this time" phase of writing my next books in my several series. I figure 28 books in one week and my eyes will be bleeding. :D Luckily not all are novels.

But I'm still writing every day, and hope to keep it up the whole time I do that rereading. I'm a very optimistic person.  :hehe
Don't rush me.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Jeff Tanyard, Kristen.s.walker

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1061 on: September 18, 2019, 04:53:00 AM »
I just wrote 386 words for a post here asking advice about something in my WIP only to work out the answer for myself so then I deleted those 386 words.  So, do those 386 words count for anything?

I know the feeling.  I read through my entire book (the fantasy epic) looking for errors and fixing them before sending it off to my beta reader.  A character from that book is making an appearance in another book I'm working on, so I pulled out everything referencing details about that character from the fantasy epic so everything matches up.  In doing so, I found where I had messed up the character's name.  :HB

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1062 on: September 18, 2019, 11:19:47 AM »
With 1107 words written tonight, I'm up to 44 pages and 10K+.

diisha392

« Reply #1063 on: September 18, 2019, 12:50:34 PM »
Wrote a little over 100 words today in between timing and cheering my athletes on. Got home and put them into the Word document even :)

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Maggie Ann

Hazard

« Reply #1064 on: September 18, 2019, 02:27:23 PM »
Did not expect such progress today, but a little over 800 words for the outline today, all after dinner even. I wanted to get an earlier start, but errands and then the internet distracted me.

Another interesting development, Book 1 outline hit a snafu, so took some ideas (the original premise) and a new Book 1 emerged, which is where the new outline advanced. Old Book 1 is now Book 2, which makes more sense with how it was progressing.

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #1065 on: September 19, 2019, 09:53:06 AM »
Didn't have time to update yesterday, but I edited five chapters. Did another five today. I'm now halfway through my edit (30 chapters total).

The earlier stuff is easier because I've actually gone back a few times as I wrote later parts of the first draft. I was adding in details that would be important later in the novel. The roughest part of the edit will be the ending. I already know several things I'm going to change and re-write.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1066 on: September 19, 2019, 11:39:39 AM »
A bit short of my goal at 960 words, but I'm really tired tonight. I'm up to 49 pages and just over 11,000 words and I'm happy about that.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, diisha392, Kristen.s.walker

diisha392

« Reply #1067 on: September 19, 2019, 12:41:51 PM »
Just over 200 words. It's awkward in spots but at least the story is moving forward.

Hazard

« Reply #1068 on: September 19, 2019, 01:05:53 PM »
Just made over 100 words tonight.

This is about where the previous outline fizzled as it entered the middle act/second half. The characters are still relatively new to me, being revamped/remixed from bits and pieces of previous character concepts. Need to spend more time with them, get to know them more.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1069 on: September 20, 2019, 04:23:58 AM »
Not doing so well with the words this month . . .

Space Opera:
Monday: 75 words
Tuesday: 90 words
Wednesday: 85 words

Semi-Gritty Urban Superhero Thing:
Monday: 105 words
Tuesday: 60 words
Wednesday: 250 words

Oh, and then I came up with a new hero character that I could either squeeze into the semi-gritty urban superhero thing or do a separate book for.  The former seems more appealing because, otherwise, one more book to add to the WIP list.  But, how many heroes can a single book have?  Oy.  Then again, I haven't seen anyone create a similar hero and it's rare to come up with an original-ish idea these days, so I really want to get it out there before someone else does.

Kind of like my fantasy epic that my beta reader is trying to wrap up . . .  I have a character do something in there that I thought would be fairly original and cool and, well, now there's a movie coming out next year but they're already talking about on different sites and the character in that movie does what the character in my book does, so now it will probably look like I got the idea from those discussions.

Every time I come up with something original-ish, someone else beats me to it.  Usually, it's because I take so long to finish stuff (you know, like, years) but this time I really wasn't that slow.  Sigh.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Maggie Ann, Kristen.s.walker, Hazard

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1070 on: September 20, 2019, 11:16:18 AM »
I'm about 25% into Book 2, adding 1088 words tonight. Up to 53 pages and 12.2K words.

As usual, I have no idea where I'm going but I'll get there eventually.

Hazard

« Reply #1071 on: September 20, 2019, 12:50:32 PM »
About 350 words today, but not for the urban fantasy story I've been working on.

Out of the blue my mind wandered to a sci-fantasy concept, one of many I have on backburner. Even the small word count is significant as a lot of them are names and brief descriptions of setting features and locations/polities. Broke through some issues I had with progressing anywhere with that concept, but this does nothing for the main project I've been working on.

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #1072 on: September 20, 2019, 01:56:20 PM »
Arrr, mateys! I be editin' five chapters o' me tale today.

(Happy Talk Like a Pirate Day!)

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Maggie Ann, diisha392

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1073 on: September 20, 2019, 09:38:52 PM »
Arrr, mateys! I be editin' five chapters o' me tale today.

(Happy Talk Like a Pirate Day!)

Aye, a tot o' rum for the saucy wench!!

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Kristen.s.walker

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1074 on: September 21, 2019, 03:21:18 AM »
Yesterday, um, I wrote 10 words for the semi-gritty urban superhero thing and, er, 0 words for the space opera.  I must have edited or did something with the space opera yesterday because I did update the file, but no new words were added.  :icon_think:

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1075 on: September 21, 2019, 04:38:12 AM »
Yesterday, um, I wrote 10 words for the semi-gritty urban superhero thing and, er, 0 words for the space opera.  I must have edited or did something with the space opera yesterday because I did update the file, but no new words were added.  :icon_think:

Fer that ye' be walkin' the plank, matey! An' I'll be drinkin' yer rum ration.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Post-Crisis D, Kristen.s.walker

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #1076 on: September 21, 2019, 12:03:07 PM »
Haha! I did have some rum last night. I figured I'd earned a little reward, so I made mai tais.

Today, I edited 5 more chapters. The last five come tomorrow and then it's off to the editor while I move onto my new series. I just emailed my cover designer to commission the first book cover.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1077 on: September 21, 2019, 12:27:28 PM »
Got Book 1 back from the editor so I'm working on that. I'll catch up on wordage tomorrow. Book 1 needs a lot of work.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Kristen.s.walker

diisha392

« Reply #1078 on: September 21, 2019, 12:33:46 PM »
Only about a hundred words today especially since I did some editing.

MCMLXXV

• Short Story unlocked
  • Negative, negative. We had a reactor leak here now
« Reply #1079 on: September 21, 2019, 08:00:04 PM »
12,036 written today

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Maggie Ann, Kristen.s.walker, Hazard

diisha392

« Reply #1080 on: September 21, 2019, 10:38:42 PM »

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, MCMLXXV

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #1081 on: September 22, 2019, 08:16:52 AM »
12,036 written today

Wow, my hands hurt just thinking about that amount of work. That's awesome!

I edited the last five chapters today and sent the manuscript off to my editor! I might take a few days off before I start on the next book. We'll see how my health does. I may have another issue cropping up now that I need to see a doctor about.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1082 on: September 22, 2019, 09:36:46 AM »
Yesterday, um, I wrote 10 words for the semi-gritty urban superhero thing and, er, 615 words for the space opera.

I was going to bang out a lot of words for the space opera last night, hoping to make up for Thursday.  I was going to come here and tell you how I wrote 5,000 words for the space opera.  LOL.  The best I got was 615.  And even if I had hit 5,000, it would have paled in comparison to 12,036. :eek:

So, I would have lost either way.  This way, at least, it took less effort to lose.  :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1083 on: September 22, 2019, 10:03:27 AM »
Yesterday, um, I wrote 10 words for the semi-gritty urban superhero thing and, er, 615 words for the space opera.

I was going to bang out a lot of words for the space opera last night, hoping to make up for Thursday.  I was going to come here and tell you how I wrote 5,000 words for the space opera.  LOL.  The best I got was 615.  And even if I had hit 5,000, it would have paled in comparison to 12,036. :eek:

So, I would have lost either way.  This way, at least, it took less effort to lose.  :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em

That's still better than my big, fat 0 for yesterday.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1084 on: September 22, 2019, 10:47:08 AM »

But you were working on revisions from your editor, so that counts as writing work even if you didn't otherwise create more wordage.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1085 on: September 22, 2019, 11:14:38 AM »

But you were working on revisions from your editor, so that counts as writing work even if you didn't otherwise create more wordage.

Just read through a half a dozen comments but didn't do any revisions. So ... nannie-nannie-boo-boo ... I'm still worse than you.

Tonight, I sat down to add to the word count. Not sure how much I wrote before I accidentally deleted it. Couldn't have been much more than 100 words. So discouraged I ate a brownie with home-made banana ice cream and walnuts.  :writethink:

diisha392

« Reply #1086 on: September 22, 2019, 11:20:34 AM »
Brownies are good.

I set a goal to run five miles today and write 500 words. I knocked the miles out before 11 this morning. Just now a little after nine at night, I finished my 500 words.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1087 on: September 23, 2019, 01:19:12 AM »
Back on track with 1047 words.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1088 on: September 23, 2019, 03:30:29 AM »
Yesterday, um, I wrote 10 words (hat trick!!!) for the semi-gritty urban superhero thing and 125 words for the space opera.

I think the problem is that the story moves faster than I can write.  On the superhero thing, I've been writing the same scene for several days now.  In my head, I've moved on to other parts.  The second part of the chapter played out in my head several days ago.  So the scene I'm writing has become boring because I've already played it out who knows how many times now and by the time I get to the second part, it will have run several times already too.  Plus, I've got another character I mentioned the other day that will need to be introduced and just this morning I came up with another.  So the story moves faster than I can write so by the time I find a few minutes to write, it goes slower because it's like "been there, done that."  I believe it's the same phenomenon that, when I later revisit a backburner project, I discover I don't have nearly as many words written down as I thought I did.  But because I've watched the scene(s) play out in my head so many times, it feels like I've already written it all out.  But I haven't.

And then the current chapter in the space opera has gone a completely different direction than originally intended.  My fault for trying to add in some detail to make an otherwise ho-hum scene get some life into it.  So, then rather than simply walking to their destination, well, stuff happens and their destination isn't there anymore.  Which means the whole reason for the scene, for plot and character development, needs to be written in somewhere else now.

MCMLXXV

• Short Story unlocked
« Reply #1089 on: September 23, 2019, 04:57:53 AM »
12,036 written today

Awesome work!

12,036 written today

Wow, my hands hurt just thinking about that amount of work. That's awesome!

I edited the last five chapters today and sent the manuscript off to my editor! I might take a few days off before I start on the next book. We'll see how my health does. I may have another issue cropping up now that I need to see a doctor about.

Thanks! Y'all are nice in here.  Grin

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #1090 on: September 23, 2019, 07:02:30 AM »
My mind is boggled at the prospect of writing 12k words in a single day.  That beats Amanda Lee's usual quota of 9k (though she also edits 9k per day, so maybe not the best comparison).  The most I've ever done was a little over 4k in one day.

Congratulations, Matt, on a notable accomplishment.   :cheers
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Lynn

« Reply #1091 on: September 23, 2019, 07:46:57 AM »
Yesterday, um, I wrote 10 words (hat trick!!!) for the semi-gritty urban superhero thing and 125 words for the space opera.

I think the problem is that the story moves faster than I can write.  On the superhero thing, I've been writing the same scene for several days now.  In my head, I've moved on to other parts.  The second part of the chapter played out in my head several days ago.  So the scene I'm writing has become boring because I've already played it out who knows how many times now and by the time I get to the second part, it will have run several times already too.  Plus, I've got another character I mentioned the other day that will need to be introduced and just this morning I came up with another.  So the story moves faster than I can write so by the time I find a few minutes to write, it goes slower because it's like "been there, done that."  I believe it's the same phenomenon that, when I later revisit a backburner project, I discover I don't have nearly as many words written down as I thought I did.  But because I've watched the scene(s) play out in my head so many times, it feels like I've already written it all out.  But I haven't.

And then the current chapter in the space opera has gone a completely different direction than originally intended.  My fault for trying to add in some detail to make an otherwise ho-hum scene get some life into it.  So, then rather than simply walking to their destination, well, stuff happens and their destination isn't there anymore.  Which means the whole reason for the scene, for plot and character development, needs to be written in somewhere else now.
I have the same issue with boredom of a scene already written in my head, and I have a solution that works for me. I don't let myself think about my books when I'm not actively writing.

Yes, that's probably one big reason I write a bit slowly, but slow is better than stalled out. If I get bored, I hate writing and I pretty much fail to write anything at all every time I get bored. It's a huge struggle to get started again.

When that solution fails, because the story is just moving along in my thoughts while I'm away from the computer and I can't stop it (happened last night in the shower, because of course it would happen somewhere that I can't get to my computer), I have another strategy I use. When I get to the computer, I don't try to cling to what I wrote in my head. I let it go. I write whatever I want as the next bit. In almost all cases, my mind has decided to change things up because that's easier than trying to bring to mind all the words I'd already written in my head earlier.

I do not let myself compare the quality of the versions I've created. What I thought and what I wrote are equals and that's just the way it has to be. Later, when I go back to read it after the fact, that usually turns out to be true anyway. I've become confident that one path is as good as another, as long as I'm having fun with it. :)

Don't rush me.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Post-Crisis D, diisha392

MCMLXXV

• Short Story unlocked
« Reply #1092 on: September 23, 2019, 10:40:26 AM »
My mind is boggled at the prospect of writing 12k words in a single day.  That beats Amanda Lee's usual quota of 9k (though she also edits 9k per day, so maybe not the best comparison).  The most I've ever done was a little over 4k in one day.

Congratulations, Matt, on a notable accomplishment.   :cheers

That's really nice of you to say, thanks.

I find Amanda Lee inspiring. I really appreciate her word count and editing posts because they help spur me on when I don't feel like writing. It's the same reason I publicly post my own counts as a means to push myself to keep going and remain productive. I also hope someone will see what I'm doing and will want to do the same on days when they don't feel like doing it.

And, honestly, I think anyone can produce the same amount of new words each day as me... I'm just really fortunate in that I have the time each day to plant butt-in-chair.

For instance when we're talking about butt-in-chair time, I produced roughly 62k new words last week (Mon-Fri), and I'd do similar next week as well if I wasn't so close to finishing my current novel (likely will be done with it on Mon or Tue), which I'm not saying as a brag or a humblebrag or whatever - I'm pointing this out to say the reason I was able to do it is because I had/have the time to do it. I'm lucky in that respect, not skilled.

On average, I write between 6 and 7 hours every weekday, and I think most everyone here could likely produce similar word counts as me on each of those days if they had the kind of time to devote to it that I do. Heck, a lot people would probably leave me in the dust if they had that kind of time. I point this out to say that I realize I'm fortunate in this regard.

But, aside from all of that, I'm here to cheer everyone on no matter how many words they happen to crank out. It's really remaining productive in general that's the most important thing. If it's 5 words a day or 5000, as long as you keep plugging away. I'm just happy to have the time available to push and produce as many new words as I can, or as many I feel satisfied with.

Should also point out, with respect to word counts, it also helps I'm not that great a writer. lol That's not a woe as me self-pity thing, just the reality. I love writing and I love coming up with stories, but yeah, my writing is what it is. I do my best every time out, and I have fun too, but I lay no claim whatsoever to writing quality. Maybe in my case it helps me write a lot.

Which raises another impressive thing about Amanda Lee. The fact she can produce those numbers along with the quality. One can only dream of reaching that level. Well, for me it's a dream anyway.

diisha392

« Reply #1093 on: September 23, 2019, 11:28:57 AM »
About 300 words today although I feel a chunk may get edited out later when cleaning the piece up.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1094 on: September 23, 2019, 11:37:41 AM »
But, aside from all of that, I'm here to cheer everyone on no matter how many words they happen to crank out. It's really remaining productive in general that's the most important thing. If it's 5 words a day or 5000, as long as you keep plugging away. I'm just happy to have the time available to push and produce as many new words as I can, or as many I feel satisfied with.

That's the whole point of this thread, Matt. It keeps me inspired just to put butt-in-chair-and-engage-fingers.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1095 on: September 24, 2019, 07:28:08 AM »
Yesterday, I wrote 185 words for the semi-gritty urban superhero thing and 50 words for the space opera.

Thinking about pausing on the superhero thing and just writing down some notes for later.  Or, maybe finish out the month and then pause since there's only a week left.

On the space opera, slowed a bit since I'm working out the next bit.  Also, had to do some editing on the beginning of the chapter so that the new direction it is taking looks natural rather than like it shifted in the middle (which was the reality, LOL).  Have to work out what happens next.  Either the "bad thing" happens while the characters are separated or when they're back together.  The latter would be easier but the former would be a better fit.  Yes, so I guess I know which direction to take.  Oy.  Another box I'm writing myself into.  LOL.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1096 on: September 24, 2019, 11:41:11 AM »
A mere 362 words and that was a struggle. Fugitive (possibly) in an abandoned farmhouse. Midnight. No moon. K-nines sitting quietly by their handlers, waiting for the signal. Not the kind of thing I usually write so I'm moving as cautiously as the two FBI agents approaching the house.

Hopefully, I'll do better tomorrow.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #1097 on: September 24, 2019, 12:14:35 PM »
K-nines

Did you dictate that and that's how your software interpreted it?  Because canines would be the same number of characters so there's no savings there for your fingers.  Abbreviating would be K9s or maybe K-9s:icon_think:

Maggie Ann

« Reply #1098 on: September 24, 2019, 12:40:56 PM »
K-nines

Did you dictate that and that's how your software interpreted it?  Because canines would be the same number of characters so there's no savings there for your fingers.  Abbreviating would be K9s or maybe K-9s:icon_think:

Yup, you're right. Thanks. And I even wrote another story about K-9s a few years ago, but I forgot. I'll fix it.

Thanks again.

MCMLXXV

• Short Story unlocked
« Reply #1099 on: September 24, 2019, 06:37:59 PM »
6,309 written today to finish latest WIP
26,613 edited today on said WIP

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Maggie Ann, diisha392