Author Topic: Stan Lee, 1922-2018  (Read 3000 times)

Post-Crisis D

Stan Lee, 1922-2018
« on: November 13, 2018, 07:32:21 AM »
Stan Lee passed away today.

Marvel Comics Legend Stan Lee Dies at 95

I don't know how many characters he created or co-created, but there sure were a lot.  I think any of us could probably consider ourselves lucky if we could create half as many characters and have them be just half as popular as Spider-Man, Hulk and others.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: Maggie Ann, Fee

Anarchist

Re: Stan Lee, 1922-2018
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 07:35:13 AM »
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 08:25:11 AM »
I always looked forward to his movie cameos.

Tiffmeister

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 08:26:59 AM »
It is a sad day in Geekdom, indeed. So sorry to hear of his passing, but thankful to have his legacy and to have shared the Earth at the same time he did.

RIP Mr. Lee!  :smilie_zauber:

Rosie Scott

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 08:45:01 AM »
Oh my goodness, nooooo.  :icon_cry: I saw Stan Lee, then your name, Thankful Dan. I thought for a second you were just being cheeky again and that Stan was safe. Alas, it was not meant to be.

Stan will most definitely be missed, but he had a long, full life and accomplished a great deal. That is the type of legacy all of us could only hope to achieve.

Fantasy/sci-fi. Writer of bloody warfare & witty banter. Provoker of questions.
Rosie Scott | Website | Release Mailing List

Anarchist

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 08:45:23 AM »

"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

The following users thanked this post: Denise, LilyBLily, Virginia McClain

Ghost5

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 09:13:10 AM »
 :icon_cry: :icon_sad: :icon_cry: :icon_sad: :icon_cry:

Maggie Ann

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 10:08:04 AM »
Alexa told me about Stan Lee passing. I cannot be sad. He lived to 95 and left a legacy most creatives can only dream about.  :clap:

LilyBLily

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 11:56:47 AM »
His wife died last year, and it's a lonely life after so many decades together. He had a great run, but he was ready. I'm glad for his sake that he was in good shape as recently as a couple of days ago and that the end came swiftly.

Sassifrax

• I have my Spacesuit ON
  • Tag Line unlocked
  • All models are wrong; some are useful.
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 02:08:27 PM »
I was so sad to hear this on the news. We will miss him!

Virginia McClain

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 04:48:19 PM »

Thanks for this! It's a nice reminder of just how much he's created through the years (as well as the projects he was just invited to show up in for fun).

He will be truly missed. I'm glad he had a good long run though, and left such an amazing legacy behind.

Virginia McClain | Blog | Cover Designs

Fee

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 09:57:26 PM »
He definitely achieved a lot in his time on this rock - and made millions of people happy.  RIP Stan.

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 04:26:05 AM »

I still laugh at the cameo where he is telling Agent Coulson he can do so much better as a father.   grint
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

Rob Martin

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 05:46:43 AM »
His comics were my gateway into bigger things. He'll be missed.
I write because I want to, not because of the woman standing over my shoulder holding a particularly pointy object. Right, dear?

M R M

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 02:40:24 PM »
I always thank him for showing that alliteration in a name is an indicator of superherodom. And I promise to use my powers for good.

RIP to a great man.
(____________ F A N T A S Y ____________) (____________S C I E N C E   F I C T I O N ____________)

Australian Science Fiction and Fantasy Author M R Mortimer
| Author Web Site | Facebook Page | Twitter Page | Fantasy Series

RappaDizzy

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2018, 10:00:01 AM »
From a Stan Lee interview 2009.

On the verge of quitting his job, his wife Joan advised him to "write one [comic] book the way you'd like to" instead of only listening to then-publisher Martin Goodman. Joan told her husband, "'Get it out of your system. The worst thing that will happen is he'll fire you — but you want to quit anyway.'"

He created The Fantastic Four.

Always do your books your way like Mr. Lee and forget the peanut gallery & critics. Thank you Stan Lee

The following users thanked this post: dgcasey

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2018, 10:32:44 AM »
Always do your books your way like Mr. Lee and forget the peanut gallery & critics.

Amen. They're our stories, we'll write them the way we see them.   :tup3b
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!