Author Topic: Author paying for delivery on paperbacks?  (Read 1423 times)

A. N. Onymous

Author paying for delivery on paperbacks?
« on: November 13, 2018, 11:31:56 AM »
Colour me stupid if this is normal, since I did not recognise anything like it while with CreateSpace, but I recently sold my first three paperbacks through KDP on amazon.com. While checking the sales report I noticed that delivery of the books by the customer was deducted from my royalty. I know this happens with downloads when claiming 70% royalty on ebooks, but surely this cannot be the case with PBs??? Instead of my 60% of $14.99 USD = $8.99, I am being paid around $3.10 per book after delivery is taken out. I haven't adjusted anything since the move. Am I missing something I should have ticked, or unticked? Or is this normal?

tdecastro31

Re: Author paying for delivery on paperbacks?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 12:37:56 PM »
The royalty is taken from the remainder after the printing costs, right?

The following users thanked this post: A. N. Onymous

A. N. Onymous

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 12:51:40 PM »
Um, okay, having a senior moment here. After inspecting the excel report with non-senior eyes I can see that it is Delivery/manufacturing costs. Duh!!! That'll teach me to make sure the entire description cell is being viewed. Very sorry for the rooky mistake peeps.

okey dokey

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 01:43:32 AM »
I believe that if Amazon stocks the paperback, then the buyer pays the shipping cost.
Not sure if it's the same for POD books.
If you print the book from another book printer, not Amazon, the register as an Amazon vendor.
List your book in the used book category
Describe the book as in "new" condition with the full price.
When a reader goes to Amazon for your book, Amazon is "out of stock."
Reader notices that you, as a vendor, lists your book in "new" condition, available direct from the publisher (you).
The reader orders the book. Amazon notifies you of the sale by emai. Amazon collects the money, including the shipping fee.
You mail the book to the reader.
Amazon pays you in 14 DAYS and includes an extra $3+ to cover your shipping cost.
Your payment will be about 70% of the selling price.
Plus you get the reader's home address. Even the big trad publishers can't get that.

In other words, you have also become the distributor. If you don't fill reorders from Amazon, then you (the publisher) becomes the ONLY source for new copies.

It works:

- about 70% payment
- you get paid in 14 DAYS

A. N. Onymous

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 06:40:18 AM »
Considering my embarrassing grey/blonde moment attempting to interpret a simple excel spreadsheet supplied by KDP for the minuscule number of my paperbacks purchased to date, I sincerely doubt I am the right person to engage in the complex activity you describe. I am going to just slink back into my hidey-hole and keep my hands off the keyboard when browsing the forum for the time being....after this, I mean...now?