Author Topic: 50+ words a day...no matter what!  (Read 308885 times)

diisha392

Re: 50+ words a day...no matter what!
« Reply #400 on: February 04, 2019, 10:21:55 AM »
Got at least 80 words in on my new reader magnet.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, idontknowyet

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #401 on: February 04, 2019, 10:42:35 AM »
I wrote 1,085 words today.  Trying to see if I can stay above 1,000 every day this month.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

munboy

« Reply #402 on: February 04, 2019, 01:18:52 PM »
I'm on a 5 day streak for my 1300 words a day goal. Not sure I'll be able to get it today. Been too busy. We'll see what happens in the next couple hours before bedtime.

Edit: Managed to get in 574 words. Better than nothing, I suppose.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 12:44:27 AM by munboy »

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #403 on: February 05, 2019, 08:30:17 AM »
I wrote 1,115 words today.  Two of the characters have discovered what they initially thought to be good news had instead, after doing the math, resulted in them being in a worse situation than before, thanks to the third character and his peculiar obsession.

In loosely related news, I am trying to remember to use DuckDuckGo as my search engine instead of the others, because who knows how many terrorist watch lists I'm on as a result of the things I end up searching for online.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

Maggie Ann

« Reply #404 on: February 05, 2019, 11:08:47 AM »
My dog was being groomed today so I popped over to Panera for lunch and writing while I waited. I fell short of my usual Panera sessions, but then I had the grilled cheese sandwich and it's usually the spinach/artichoke souffle that inspires me. I did manage to get down 1,473 words.

What shall tomorrow bring?

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Post-Crisis D, idontknowyet

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #405 on: February 05, 2019, 11:30:45 AM »
My dog was being groomed today so I popped over to Panera for lunch and writing while I waited. I fell short of my usual Panera sessions, but then I had the grilled cheese sandwich and it's usually the spinach/artichoke souffle that inspires me. I did manage to get down 1,473 words.

I think the grilled cheese turned out to be fairly productive.  :dog1:

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet

Maggie Ann

« Reply #406 on: February 05, 2019, 01:26:02 PM »

I think the grilled cheese turned out to be fairly productive.  :dog1:

And yummy!

idontknowyet

« Reply #407 on: February 05, 2019, 02:28:41 PM »
I wrote today for the first time in forever only 450 words, but they were decent so I cant complain. I'm hoping for more tomorrow.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #408 on: February 06, 2019, 12:16:57 AM »
I wrote today for the first time in forever only 450 words, but they were decent so I cant complain. I'm hoping for more tomorrow.

That's great!  :goodpost:

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

Maggie Ann

« Reply #409 on: February 06, 2019, 12:48:41 AM »

:clap:

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #410 on: February 06, 2019, 09:01:33 AM »
I wrote 1,210 words today.  Have to figure out a plausible explanation for how the characters know the distances between major cities when there's no Internet or cell phones to look it up.  Also, they don't have a map.

idontknowyet

« Reply #411 on: February 06, 2019, 09:57:56 AM »
I'm over 1k today hoping for 2-3 but well see. The story is rolling through my head. Hopefully it stays that way.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #412 on: February 06, 2019, 11:11:48 AM »
600 words yesterday and 800 today.  I'm almost halfway through part 3 of my spy book.  :catrun

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D, idontknowyet, Cathleen

Maggie Ann

« Reply #413 on: February 06, 2019, 12:17:14 PM »
No writing but I did a bit of editing. Just checked and I got twelve pages done. Not too shabby, I think, and I did find a plot hole that needed correcting. Plus there was something I added in the beginning that I didn't follow up on.

That's why I need to write every day so I remember what I did.

I'm up to 69,981 words and I still have a ways to go. I should easily hit 80K. Easily if I plant butt in chair with fingers on keyboard at least for some time each day.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Post-Crisis D, idontknowyet

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #414 on: February 07, 2019, 08:32:08 AM »
I wrote 1,405 words today.  Introduced a new character then promptly killed him off.  Hopefully readers will find it amusing.

It also put me past the 105k word mark.  One of my goals is to write a novel that's over 1,000,000 words long.  This one won't be it (probably (hopefully!)), but it makes me realize a 1,000,000 word novel is not an insurmountable task.

munboy

« Reply #415 on: February 07, 2019, 09:52:22 AM »
One of my goals is to write a novel that's over 1,000,000 words long.

Why?  :icon_rofl:

Cathleen

« Reply #416 on: February 07, 2019, 10:06:10 AM »
Lorri, you are my hero.

I've written 635 words today. No big deal, right? I used to have 5k days. Often.

But not lately. I've been too busy caught up in all the writing stuff. No more. I'm going to write every day on this thing until it's done. I started this novelette back in October. It's way past time to finish it.

It's not as though I'm talking a major undertaking. Really, I should be able to finish this thing in a week. I've even got it plotted with turning points.

Anyway, thanks again. :)

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #417 on: February 07, 2019, 11:55:53 AM »
Lorri, you are my hero.

I've written 635 words today. No big deal, right? I used to have 5k days. Often.

But not lately. I've been too busy caught up in all the writing stuff. No more. I'm going to write every day on this thing until it's done. I started this novelette back in October. It's way past time to finish it.

It's not as though I'm talking a major undertaking. Really, I should be able to finish this thing in a week. I've even got it plotted with turning points.

Anyway, thanks again. :)

Congrats, Cathleen!  :clap:

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet, Cathleen

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #418 on: February 07, 2019, 04:55:29 PM »

Let me know when the print version's available.   :icon_mrgreen:
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #419 on: February 08, 2019, 02:06:23 AM »

The regular or the large print edition?  Amazon might need to deliver the latter by motor freight.  Hopefully, you have Prime.  :hehe

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #420 on: February 08, 2019, 07:55:19 AM »

The regular or the large print edition?  Amazon might need to deliver the latter by motor freight.  Hopefully, you have Prime.  :hehe

Whichever one takes up the most shelf space.  The goal here is to impress onlookers with my reading prowess.   :cool:

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #421 on: February 08, 2019, 08:09:39 AM »

Whichever one takes up the most shelf space.  The goal here is to impress onlookers with my reading prowess.   :cool:

Maybe it'll be the first book to have its own shelves.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #422 on: February 08, 2019, 09:00:12 AM »
I wrote 1,250 words today.  I really, really need to come up with a way to travel hundreds of miles in a short span of time, without trains, planes or automobiles.  Maybe a sailboat on wheels.  That might work, actually.  Hmm. . .

Cathleen

« Reply #423 on: February 08, 2019, 09:16:47 AM »
Perhaps a hot air balloon with a favorable wind?

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #424 on: February 08, 2019, 09:33:35 AM »

Thanks.  I actually looked that up the other day when I was looking for a solution.  My quick research indicated using a hot air balloon would not be the best idea as you couldn't control which direction it would go.

I think you would have more control with a sail.  If the wind was going the wrong way, you could take the sail down whereas on a hot air balloon, you just go with the flow.

Plus, they have no money, so they can't buy or rent a hot air balloon.  They can't buy or rent a boat or wheels either for that matter.

Unless they find something abandoned.  Hmm . . .  More thinking required.

Cathleen

« Reply #425 on: February 08, 2019, 11:50:51 AM »
Could they hot-wire a car? If it helps, they could steal the car of someone who really does have it coming, like maybe an ex-spouse. Just a thought.

I actually enjoy doing this with people--bouncing random story ideas off each other. Sometimes another person can provide you with that one missing piece that's been making you flounder about. I always know it's a good idea when I'm annoyed because I didn't think of it. In retrospect, it usually seems obvious. :)

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D, idontknowyet

idontknowyet

« Reply #426 on: February 08, 2019, 12:08:28 PM »

Thanks.  I actually looked that up the other day when I was looking for a solution.  My quick research indicated using a hot air balloon would not be the best idea as you couldn't control which direction it would go.

I think you would have more control with a sail.  If the wind was going the wrong way, you could take the sail down whereas on a hot air balloon, you just go with the flow.

Plus, they have no money, so they can't buy or rent a hot air balloon.  They can't buy or rent a boat or wheels either for that matter.

Maybe a bicycle. The average person can travel upwards of 6miles an hour.

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #427 on: February 08, 2019, 12:18:32 PM »
Could they hot-wire a car? If it helps, they could steal the car of someone who really does have it coming, like maybe an ex-spouse. Just a thought.

They're too young to have exes.  Cars can be found but there's a problem that there are no gas stations.  Or gasoline.

Horses are faster but still not fast enough.  They (the characters) have already ruled it out and they sorta had access to a horse.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #428 on: February 08, 2019, 12:20:45 PM »

Now if it was McGyver, he would rig up a sail on the bicycle using an old kite, shoe laces and chewing gum. Maybe a couple of little flags he swiped from a car dealership just to fancy it up.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 12:47:08 PM by Maggie Ann »

Maggie Ann

« Reply #429 on: February 08, 2019, 12:22:26 PM »
No words today, but I worked on a brochure for a Book Fair I'm in next month. I just have to tweak the photo, but considering it's a photo of me, it's going to need a lot of tweaking.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #430 on: February 08, 2019, 12:36:05 PM »
Now if it was McGyver, he would rig up a sail on the bicycle using an old kite, shoe laces and chewing gum. Maybe a couple of little flags he swiped from a car dealership just of fancy it up.

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet, Maggie Ann

Maggie Ann

« Reply #431 on: February 08, 2019, 12:48:42 PM »
Now if it was McGyver, he would rig up a sail on the bicycle using an old kite, shoe laces and chewing gum. Maybe a couple of little flags he swiped from a car dealership just of fancy it up.

:icon_rofl:

Cathleen

« Reply #432 on: February 08, 2019, 06:14:05 PM »
Okay, it's embarrassing, but not as bad as no words at all. 155. :)

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #433 on: February 09, 2019, 08:21:35 AM »
No words yet today.  I remembered a character who is where the other characters are now and that character can help them travel several hundred miles in a short span of time.

The problem is trying to figure out if that character is actually there yet or not.  I have some established dates as well as a statement regarding the passage of time.  Which means I need to research my own previous work to determine whether that character is in that location or not, because with the data I have now, he could either have been there for about seventeen years or he is there presently or he won't be there for another year.

I should have kept notes.  And, by "kept", I mean I should have written more details down.  Instead of, you know, keeping track of things in my head.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #434 on: February 09, 2019, 11:03:30 AM »
No words yet today.  I remembered a character who is where the other characters are now and that character can help them travel several hundred miles in a short span of time.

The problem is trying to figure out if that character is actually there yet or not.  I have some established dates as well as a statement regarding the passage of time.  Which means I need to research my own previous work to determine whether that character is in that location or not, because with the data I have now, he could either have been there for about seventeen years or he is there presently or he won't be there for another year.

I should have kept notes.  And, by "kept", I mean I should have written more details down.  Instead of, you know, keeping track of things in my head.

I've always made notes at the end of my file. Really, really helpful. Sometimes I can't even remember names much less what they look like.

343 tonight. Lucky to squeeze that in between getting ready for taxes.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #435 on: February 09, 2019, 03:50:23 PM »
Only 640 words written yesterday.  So much for my 1k+/day goal for February.

I've always made notes at the end of my file. Really, really helpful. Sometimes I can't even remember names much less what they look like.

I have notes too.  Some at the beginning, others at the end and sometimes both.  Also separate files too.  Also a spreadsheet with timelines.

In this case, the date in the spreadsheet doesn't seem to align with the number of years count in the one novel.  So, either I have overlooked a date somewhere or the number of months and days indicated along with the number of years was arbitrary or my math was wrong or I used the wrong date.  No telling.  I can change the date in the spreadsheet to bring everything into sync, but if I referenced that date already in any published work, then I cannot.  There's a way around it, but it wouldn't make sense unless a date was already indicated.  Guess the only way to know for sure is to re-read my stuff to confirm one way or another.

Cathleen

« Reply #436 on: February 09, 2019, 04:28:33 PM »
268. I'm hoping this is simply a groove I've got to get back. Still, better than zero. :)

Maggie Ann

« Reply #437 on: February 09, 2019, 11:11:33 PM »
Only 640 words written yesterday.  So much for my 1k+/day goal for February.

I have notes too.  Some at the beginning, others at the end and sometimes both.  Also separate files too.  Also a spreadsheet with timelines.

In this case, the date in the spreadsheet doesn't seem to align with the number of years count in the one novel.  So, either I have overlooked a date somewhere or the number of months and days indicated along with the number of years was arbitrary or my math was wrong or I used the wrong date.  No telling.  I can change the date in the spreadsheet to bring everything into sync, but if I referenced that date already in any published work, then I cannot.  There's a way around it, but it wouldn't make sense unless a date was already indicated.  Guess the only way to know for sure is to re-read my stuff to confirm one way or another.

In 1991, Diana Gabaldon published Outlander setting the date as 1945. At some point in the books, she mentions 1967 (it's time travel). When the book was published in England, it was pointed out to her that the conditions she described in Inverness were not correct in 1945 and that she should change the date to 1946. She did not change the date in subsequent editions but she changed the timeline so that in the next book, 1967 became 1968 which was supposed to be twenty years after she returned to present day, but wasn't. She didn't correct the timeline or the ages of the characters in that second book, either, just the year. I'm not sure she ever did an author's note but being a rabid fan, I followed her blog and found out.

If DG can get away with you, you might be able to.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #438 on: February 10, 2019, 05:42:51 AM »
In 1991, Diana Gabaldon published Outlander setting the date as 1945. At some point in the books, she mentions 1967 (it's time travel). When the book was published in England, it was pointed out to her that the conditions she described in Inverness were not correct in 1945 and that she should change the date to 1946. She did not change the date in subsequent editions but she changed the timeline so that in the next book, 1967 became 1968 which was supposed to be twenty years after she returned to present day, but wasn't. She didn't correct the timeline or the ages of the characters in that second book, either, just the year. I'm not sure she ever did an author's note but being a rabid fan, I followed her blog and found out.

Those are the kinds of things that would drive me nuts.  ;)

Like, hiding Luke Skywalker from his father Darth Vader by hiding him with Vader's stepbrother on Vader's birth planet under Vader's original Skywalker surname.  :icon_think:

On the upside, my spreadsheet has all the dates for my novels before Bad Fiction which means I only need to re-read Bad Fiction to sort out dates mentioned in it.  On the downside, Bad Fiction is also my longest (so far) published novel.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #439 on: February 10, 2019, 06:37:41 AM »

Those are the kinds of things that would drive me nuts.  ;)

Like, hiding Luke Skywalker from his father Darth Vader by hiding him with Vader's stepbrother on Vader's birth planet under Vader's original Skywalker surname.  :icon_think:

On the upside, my spreadsheet has all the dates for my novels before Bad Fiction which means I only need to re-read Bad Fiction to sort out dates mentioned in it.  On the downside, Bad Fiction is also my longest (so far) published novel.

Oh, yeah, I never understood the Skywalker thing either.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #440 on: February 10, 2019, 06:54:07 AM »
500 words so far today.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #441 on: February 10, 2019, 06:55:52 AM »

Well, Darth Vader wasn't his father in Star Wars.  That was something added in The Empire Strikes Back.

But, then George Lucas piled on and made it worse.  I mean, Skywalker could have been a pseudonym.  Darth Vader could have been Anakin Starkiller instead of Anakin Skywalker.  Tatooine may have been where Luke was raised, but that doesn't mean Anakin had to be born there.  I think that was added in the prequels, as was Owen Lars being Anakin Skywalker's stepbrother.  I mean, c'mon.

:HB

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #442 on: February 10, 2019, 07:06:03 AM »
Well, Darth Vader wasn't his father in Star Wars.  That was something added in The Empire Strikes Back.

Yep.  Check out The Secret History of Star Wars for the juicy details.  Really fascinating stuff.  The review by "Lothe" sums it up quite nicely.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #443 on: February 10, 2019, 09:13:40 AM »

But, then George Lucas piled on and made it worse.  I mean, Skywalker could have been a pseudonym.  Darth Vader could have been Anakin Starkiller instead of Anakin Skywalker.  Tatooine may have been where Luke was raised, but that doesn't mean Anakin had to be born there.  I think that was added in the prequels, as was Owen Lars being Anakin Skywalker's stepbrother.  I mean, c'mon.

:HB

Han shot first!

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #444 on: February 10, 2019, 10:25:44 AM »

Maggie Ann

« Reply #445 on: February 10, 2019, 11:00:22 AM »
Now that we have that settled ...

A bit of research and 659 words.

Cathleen

« Reply #446 on: February 10, 2019, 04:40:45 PM »
I'm past caring about anything to do with Star Wars. Why can't they just end it, like Harry Potter or The Hunger Games? No, they have to condemn it to a slow, tortuous death. Ugh.

968 today. That's not even embarrassing. Yee haw.

Of course, it might have helped that I finally got to the bit where the Mako attacked my selkie. I've been wanting to get to that scene. :)

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #447 on: February 10, 2019, 04:51:07 PM »
I'll have to check the word count later.  I think I only had around 600 words yesterday (Saturday).

Then I researched the timeline again and found a different error while doing so.

So, I went through and corrected the errors then went through and corrected another error I was already aware of and hadn't finished correcting yet.  So both sets of errors now resolved.

Still working on the timeline which I need to sort out because I am getting close to the point where I need to know whether or not a certain character can be there.

I'm past caring about anything to do with Star Wars. Why can't they just end it, like Harry Potter or The Hunger Games? No, they have to condemn it to a slow, tortuous death. Ugh.

There are seven Star Wars movies: the original trilogy, the prequel trilogy and Rogue One.  The rest were stuff Han Solo was hallucinating while frozen in carbonite.  :hehe

Cathleen

« Reply #448 on: February 10, 2019, 05:08:52 PM »

There are seven Star Wars movies: the original trilogy, the prequel trilogy and Rogue One.  The rest were stuff Han Solo was hallucinating while frozen in carbonite.  :hehe

If only this were true...

munboy

« Reply #449 on: February 11, 2019, 12:41:43 AM »
like Harry Potter

Uh, I got bad news for you... :icon_rofl: